Sometimes A Great Notion (411)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobBot View Post
    If you want to be pernickity, the FTL drives are not plausible. Totally impossible and unrealistic, but a necessary story device.
    Oh ye, of little imagination!!

And you call yourself a sci-fi fan???
    Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
      4. Best guess says the original Kara travelled back in time 2000 years and that her appearance somehow changed history, making her a thirteenth Cylon. Fact is, we've never had a clue what sort of time period BSG is set in Earthwise.
      Why do people keep mentioning that the viper wreck was there for 2000 years??

Clearly, this is one thing that fits with the 4-5 months timeframe. The wreck, condition of the body, position of debris ON TOP of vegitation -- this was as recent addition to the planet.

It certainly appears the case that the time of Kara's "death" was when the viper crashed on the planet (notice I'm not calling it Earth). How it got there? What is Kara? Where did the new viper come from? These are still burning questions.

One other minor thing that bothers me. In the final scene of Crossroads when Kara reappears, her viper has no nameplate on the cockpit. In later episodes we see it reappear.
      Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

Originally posted by madk99 View Post

One other minor thing that bothers me. In the final scene of Crossroads when Kara reappears, her viper has no nameplate on the cockpit. In later episodes we see it reappear.
        I remember discussion of this subject before. It was just continuity error by the show's crew.

Comment

Originally posted by madk99 View Post
          Oh ye, of little imagination!!

And you call yourself a sci-fi fan???
          Oh, I don't mind that it's not plausible, I was just pointing it out. It's a story device, and treated as such, and that's all fine because we wouldn't have the stories we do. I only get annoyed with things like that when they go all Star Trek - you know, when a character suddenly invents a new warp drive/sheild/weapon/whatever just at the right time, it's a lazy and unlikely way to resolve a story.

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
            Maybe the 13th tribe was looking for a practical means to immortality by crossing man and machine in such a way that a person's consciousness could be downloaded into a new body.
            From what we know so far, that seems the most likely explanation. Why else would you create a machine that so closely resembles humans? Essentially they are humans, but with a little variation to allow data uploads and downloads (which by necessity involve machines).

Comment

Since Sometimes a Great Nation has aired, a variety of wiki's out there and other whatnot have clearly stated that the 13th tribe was composed of Cylons when they departed from Kobol.

My point of order is that we do not know for a fact that the 13th tribe was composed of Cylons when they left. The only information that we know is that by the time of the holocaust, Earth was populated by Cylons.

Everyone who (Baltar, Caprica, Odama, etc) in the exam room who stated that the 13th tribe was Cylon made the same assumption.

The discovery of widespread Cylon skeletons neither confirms or denies that the 13th tribe was originally Cylon or Human.
              The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

From what we know so far, that seems the most likely explanation. Why else would you create a machine that so closely resembles humans? Essentially they are humans, but with a little variation to allow data uploads and downloads (which by necessity involve machines).
                Its also consistent with the idea of the created striving to become like the creator - man created cylon (for whatever purpose) thus mirroring the Creator creating man), cylon evolving into the organic thus mirroring man.

Comment

Starbuck cannot be a cylon, cylon-hybrid, or any part-cylon or it would be highly inconsistent with the storyline up to now. My vote is that Starbuck is a clone of herself. Remember when she was on Caprica and had some surgical procedure done. . .
                  Well, now you're being too clever for your own pants.

The deal is, she's a golem, she BURNT her OWN BODY on a PYRE. It's madness, MADNESS! Biblical level MADNESS!

AAHHHH!!!

Ah.

ah.

It's horrifying.

And playing your game, new-Kara would have the memories of nothing, she'd be a cloned egg, grown into a big, muscle-y, tough Scandinavian chick.

She's a golem. She's not one of us, she's one of something else. She's a monster - and one that we loved. And she BURNT HER OWN BODY! AAAHHH!!@!!!!

Ah. Biblically wrong. Creepy. Awful.

Pretty shocking stuff. Tremendous mythic drama.

Comment

Originally posted by L-S View Post
                    Well, now you're being too clever for your own pants.

The deal is, she's a golem, she BURNT her OWN BODY on a PYRE. It's madness, MADNESS! Biblical level MADNESS!

AAHHHH!!!

Ah.

ah.

It's horrifying.

And playing your game, new-Kara would have the memories of nothing, she'd be a cloned egg, grown into a big, muscle-y, tough Scandinavian chick.

She's a golem. She's not one of us, she's one of something else. She's a monster - and one that we loved. And she BURNT HER OWN BODY! AAAHHH!!@!!!!

Ah. Biblically wrong. Creepy. Awful.

Pretty shocking stuff. Tremendous mythic drama.
                    Maybe in the end, she'll wake up and tell the person in bed next to her 'I've had the most pecular dream' revealing that its all been a dream and at which point we'll see a hand lift to comfort her, but be left wondering who it was... Lee, Leoban, Adama, Tigh, Cat?

Comment

This has probably been mentioned in another thread somewhere, but thought I would bring it up here, seeing as Laura has now had her book-burning party with the Pythian prophecies.

Maybe it's just my faulty memory, but I don't remember ever hearing in any of the quotes from the Pythian prophecies that the Dying Leader would lead the people to Earth. I remember quotes that the Thirteenth Tribe relocated on Earth after the exodus, I remember quotes regarding the instructions for getting to Earth, but I don't remember a quote about the people being lead to Earth.

What I DO remember is the following quote: And the Lords anointed a leader to guide the caravan of the heavens to their new homeland. "New homeland". Not "Earth". Up to now, the prophecies have been accurate. If Laura Roslin is the Dying Leader, then they may have misinterpreted the prophecy as new homeland = Earth. Which would explain why she was still alive when they reached it; "And the Leader suffered a wasting illness and would not live to enter the new land". Either that or the planet they reached is NOT Earth at all.

So maybe the Dying Leader's role is not yet finished and Laura needs to dig up another copy of the prophecies.

Spoiler:
                      "I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. Should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains! It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."
                      ---Bill Adama

Comment

Either that or the planet they reached is NOT Earth at all.
                        Yeah, it's not our "Earth," or their final Earth. No identifying exterior shots... no visible continent outlines...

The end of season 3, Kara Thrace's resurrection, showed their universe zooming out, and flying through worlds, ending with a shot of - North America. (The center of the Universe, I suppose, we're supposed to understand).

So, no, the nuked-Earth is not the final Earth... they're shuffling the cards still.

Comment

Originally posted by Back40 View Post
                          This has probably been mentioned in another thread somewhere, but thought I would bring it up here, seeing as Laura has now had her book-burning party with the Pythian prophecies.

What I DO remember is the following quote: And the Lords anointed a leader to guide the caravan of the heavens to their new homeland. "New homeland". Not "Earth". Up to now, the prophecies have been accurate. If Laura Roslin is the Dying Leader, then they may have misinterpreted the prophecy as new homeland = Earth. Which would explain why she was still alive when they reached it; "And the Leader suffered a wasting illness and would not live to enter the new land". Either that or the planet they reached is NOT Earth at all.
                          Yoda: Hmmm...I prophecy which misread may have been.

Comment

Originally posted by L-S View Post
                            Yeah, it's not our "Earth," or their final Earth. No identifying exterior shots... no visible continent outlines...

The end of season 3, Kara Thrace's resurrection, showed their universe zooming out, and flying through worlds, ending with a shot of - North America. (The center of the Universe, I suppose, we're supposed to understand).

So, no, the nuked-Earth is not the final Earth... they're shuffling the cards still.
                            Give me a good reason why the Cylons and Colonials would choose 'Earth' as the name to give their new planet.

Comment

Originally posted by treefrog View Post
                              Starbuck cannot be a cylon, cylon-hybrid, or any part-cylon or it would be highly inconsistent with the storyline up to now.
                              But if she is a cylon, there could be hundreds of copies of her! There'd be Starbucks on every corner, thereby proving that the planet really is Earth

Comment

But if she is a cylon, there could be hundreds of copies of her! There'd be Starbucks on every corner, thereby proving that the planet really is Earth
                                A Kara Thrace for every one of us?? AAAHHH~!!! Who could handle that?

Starbuck cannot be a cylon, cylon-hybrid, or any part-cylon or it would be highly inconsistent with the storyline up to now.
                                Highly inconsistent! Yes, well.. that's the name of series television... Or Sci-Fi, or anything that outlives its germinating idea. It begins to grow, both ad hoc, and organically.

Give me a good reason why the Cylons and Colonials would choose 'Earth' as the name to give their new planet.
                                Why do they speak English?

Where do they put their poop?

Where do they get nitrogen in their food?

How do they grow food? (How do they survive on Algae???)

What's an FTL drive?

Uh... you want to keep going? What is 'Earth' in their language? Is it "soil", "terra," we don't know. And you skipped the reality -

No identifying exterior shots. (Bu-dum-duhm, goes the drum). Get it? They're holding their cards close. Leaving options open. We'll see if they decide that all of it was Cally's dream, as they apparently felt free to yank the audience to and fro on that count, as of the next 'Chief's not the daddy' episode.

Yank!

Comment

Working...
                                X