Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everything is borrowed from something else.
    I wont even go into the last SW episodes which had some (unintentional I am sure) scenes that look like they were copied almost verbatim from films like hte sound of music (and there will definitely be people who will know what I mean)

I guess what it boils down to is how it is put across. BSG is pretty much one of the best, grittiest programmes out there. We dont get a lot of great TV but this is one of those great programmes[1].
    I went to see V for Vendetta the other day and I also thought that was pretty cool - I guess it has to do with the message and how it is carried off.
    There have been some pretty cool films that have been completely written off because of the way they were filmed or because the actors cast couldn't do the part right or because the director lacked vision.
    This show seems to be able to carry all of that off so well. It has it's moments where the story drifts a little, but then I wouldnt' be able to keep up on a whole series that was as intense as Ressurection ship 1+2 [2]
    I find that I am getting more and more cynical about the kind of stuff the networks/hollywood try to force feed us these days and it is very rare these days to find something that is truely great - entertaining, funny, emotional.
    I think that this show is lucky that it has some very talented actors that can pull of the demanding characters of BSG.
    Otherwise, yes, I would agree that it would probably not be as good as it is.

And well, if people dont like it, then they can always turn the box in the corner off...it's not like they're holding a gun to your head to make you watch

[1] I would like to point out that this is purely my opinion and I am in no way trying to force anyone to take my views...but go on you know you want to
    [2] yup - it's that pesky opinion again

'All of this has happened before
    And all of this will happen again
    So say we all.'

Comment

Originally posted by IEatCylons
      I know BSG is not 100% original but im sick of people acting like BSG is fresh and new because its not well maybe S1 but now it just your standard scifi show.
      And why can't people act like it is fresh and new.....it is a new way of showing the same thing... in modern perspective..

"Tibet is not a contact information, it's a country. Why not just write Earth while you're at it, incase anyone needs to know where Tibet is?"- Ingrid from Uptown Girls

Comment

Originally posted by wontgetfooledagain View Post
        I think this is partly a result of the writers having to pour all of their creative juice into twenty episodes instead of just thirteen.
        Who or what is gino ?
        Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
        They had to fake the ratings
        They had to fake the ratings.
        Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

I never liked the TOS, it was too corny, too old and I don't really remember anything 'special' about it as the original series fans claim.

The new series could have been something great but it became a huge let down. The new series is dead, its storyline has gone nowhere and its ratings stink but BonnieHammer loves it and is keeping it on life support.

Skiffy is a ghost-town these days, however it does have a few active Trek and Stargate posters that hang out in their own area of the forum

The new Bsg fanclub is dead, only a few crazy fanboys and fangirls can be found bumping the *We love Katee*, *Callum Keith is hot* threads. Go in and make your criticism of the show and the crazed fanboys will attack you like a bunch of wild dogs.

The show has been hemorrhaging viewers for a while and season2 and 3 didn't help at all.
          unfortunately the TOS fanclubs are far more active these days, the TOS fans like Spider are know for being trolls but these days they are starting to outnumber the nu-bsg fans.
          http://www.battlestargalacticaclub.com/forums/
          http://www.stallioncornell.com/board/index.php
          http://www.colonialfleets.com
          http://www.battlestarpegasus.com/
          http://cylon.org

Comment

Stallion Cornell's site has 179 registered viewers....how is that "outnumbering" the near 2 million watching BSG? I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you get about 20 trolls talking, together, they start falsely believing they are actually achieving something. Your constant ratings charts and the coy remarks you make in every topic are not helping any.

I come here very seldom these days, but in the few days I've been on this board, I've noticed something. You're a troll. Please leave. I'm too old for this lame internet warrior crap. It's very jouvenile.
            Last edited by Chricton; 22 September 2007, 04:45 PM.
            Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton View Post
              Stallion Cornell's site has 179 registered viewers....how is that "outnumbering" the near 2 million watching BSG? I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you get about 20 trolls talking, together, they start falsely believing they are actually achieving something. Your constant ratings charts and the coy remarks you make in every topic are not helping any.

I come here very seldom these days, but in the few days I've been on this board, I've noticed something. You're a troll. Please leave. I'm too old for this lame internet warrior crap. It's very jouvenile.
              Well put. I come to this section, the first three threads I click on I find this spam in every one of them. These shoddy graphs are cluttering up the forums, and I can't understand why this guy hasn't been moderated already. Especially considering that they're littering up threads that they have nothing to do with. Does this guy seriously get some perverse pleasure out of it? If you don't like the show, don't talk about the damn show! You're not going to be converting anyone here to your way of thinking. Even if I agreed with your point, I'd still be disgusted by this behaviour. It is juvinile.

Comment

'Spamtastic' is the word I believe.
                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Aha, I wondered when the Moist crowd would get bored with the skiffy forum and make their way over here...

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton View Post
                    x302 may be unpleasant and he does his fair share of trolling, but how much worse is this than the constant shipping from the Moore-fanatics that spend a lot of their time bashing Stargate, or screaming for people to be banned when they can no longer defend their show. Yes a lot of people watched the re-imagined season-1 but things are not as rosy as you picture it, the writing has got worse and the show has lost many of its fans. Say what you want about x302 but his graph does not lie. After the soap opera and poor continuity there are very few Battlestar fans left and no I'm not talking about the hardcore turfs where the TOS fanatics like the Spiders, IEatCylons and the StallionCornells hang out.

Scifiunited doesn't even cover the show anymore,

Regular sites like trekbbs, imdb, Twop, rottentomates, dvdtalk and the scifi sites like fireflys have grown more hostile to the show and very few fans can be found there

the battlestar magazine got cancelled,

the show has been pulled from I-tunes and the last season won't get broadcast until '09

Colonial fleets which used to cover the series with enthusiasm now act like Ron Moore & D.Eick's version never existed

Millions of viewers might have tuned into the show once up a time but they don't anymore. The season three finale got a 1.2, new episodes constantly get beat by re-runs of Lost and Startrek now that's TERRIBLE!
                    Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
                    They had to fake the ratings
                    They had to fake the ratings.
                    Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

Originally posted by Kick-Kinsey View Post
                      x302 may be unpleasant and he does his fair share of trolling, but how much worse is this than the constant shipping from the Moore-fanatics that spend a lot of their time bashing Stargate
                      Name one BSG fan that hates stargate on this forum. ...What's that?

None? YOU FAIL!
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Kick-Kinsey View Post
                        the show has been pulled from I-tunes
                        ALL NBC Universal shows for 2008 will be absent from ITunes. It has nothing to do with BSG, its because NBC chose not to renew their contract with Apple

and the last season won't get broadcast until '09
                        Actually the first half of season four will air in febuary 2008, after the full length movie. The second half won't air until 2009, because SciFi wants to stretch out the series, the creators chose to end the series, not SciFi, and SciFi wants to keep the show present on the network as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by IEatCylons View Post
                          This is from another bboard

Quote:When the series started to gain momentum and became a critical darling, you realized your pipe dream of getting a revival just the way you wanted it wasn't going to happen.
                          Spoiler:

Actually, we quickly realized that Moore/Ron’s version of Galactica was “Galactica in Name Only”, hence the term GINO. Anyone who’d seen ANY other sci-fi through out their lives, was able to quickly pick-up all the riffs in the show. Moore/Ron borrowed from Star Trek, from Babylon 5, from Space: Above and Beyond, X-Beyond the Frontier, Alien Nation, Earth: Final Conflict, Andromeda, Star Wars... and the list goes on and on.

Hell, he went as far as to actually RIP OFF dialogue from TV shows and movies LINE – FOR – LINE!

And while we’re talking about how successful Galactica is... well... why don’t we look at the show’s ratings, shall we?

The Galactica Mini-Series has a maximum Nielson Rating of 3.8 on December 9, 2003 for the second part of the Mini-Series.

Since then? Well by the start of the First season the Ratings were:

33/Water January 14, 2005 2.6

-- but by the end of that season it was:

Kobol's Last Gleaming pt.1 March 25, 2005 2.2

-- and by the end of the second season it was:

Downloaded February 24, 2006 1.8

-- and this just gives you the averages as GINO spins around the drain, its ratings continuing to drop, a lot of this “critical acclaim” coming from people like Matt Roush – a Trekkie whose been friends with Moore/Ron for years; they’ve been friends since Moore/Ron’s STNG days.

The show is “not” cutting edge.

It is a straight-up riff on dozens of other shows, borrowing plots, borrowing stories, borrowing thematic styles, borrowing chunks of dialogue from other shows in order to prop up this series.

And, as the ratings continue to drop and the appeal of this show, which has completely failed to find a broad-range market appeal outside the established sci-fi community.

This show has ratings that are lower than Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise.

It is not a ratings success and it has actually succeeded in driving fans off (Colonial Fleets have outright banned GINO from their forum, and they’re the biggest Galactica site on the web) while failing to garner any new fans to support the show.

Success?

I think not.

Quote:How pathetic must your life be to watch and REVIEW a series you despise.

Well... uh... actually... only ONE person does that. The Moderator of this forum, "Thinker" and he does it so those of us who have no interest in support GINO, don't have to go through the PAIN - actual, physical, mental, and emotional pain - of watching anything THIS bad.

Quote:But to write full length reviews, write endictments against the characters, come up with 5,000 lame nick-names for each character...that takes you to a level of uberloserdom that I have never seen before.

And yet… you are posting here with us. :\

:lol

For some of us - GINO is a guilty pleasure.

For some of us - GINO is the reason we locked out SFC.

It all depends on one's perspective.

My perspective?

This show sucks and that the classic BSG series was, over all, a better show with better characters.

Let's examine some of the facts, shall we?

Classic Battlestar Galactica WAS the highest rated Sci-Fi series to EVER aired on television.

Classic Battlestar Galactica IS the highest rated Sci-Fi series to have EVER been aired on television.

The title does not belong to Star Trek, to Buck Rogers, Next-Gen, Babylon 5, X-Files, or any other TV series... it belongs to Classic Battlestar Galactica and the show would have continued on for years, if not for the cost involved in making a big-budget sci-fi series in 1978.

:smokin

You cannot say that, because the original show was made in 1978 and the cast has 1970s hair, that the show was some how less valuable or poorer in quality than Neo-Galactica. That would be like saying that "Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan" was inferior to "Star Trek: Nemesis" because William Shatner was wearing a girdle and had 1980s hair. :lol

What is the psychology behind the animosity?

Glad you asked. :evil

Fist, a history lesson: Rick Berman, during his stint running the Trek franchise, operated under the notion that to succeed and get his version of Trek to work and be judged as good or superior to the original, he had to actively pursue devaluing and undermining TOS, get fans to tow the company like that TOS was bad; he did this in order to prop up things like... Voyager and distract people from realizing just how sucky his version of Trek was. :x

Ronald D. Moore, who studied under Berman for years, has adopted this same notion. Devalue the original version of Galactica, undermine the show in it's entirety and pick out key points about the show in order to TRY and get fans to tout HIS company line that Neo Galactica is better; to prop up his own show, by pointing out issues with the original incarnation of Galactica. :rolleyes

Sad thing? :|

You guys have bought into this hook, line, and sinker! :lol

Fancy camera movement does not make the new Galactica superior to the original. Nor does making the character's so flawed as to be nearly useless, just so he can showcase character growth which looks monumental without making much of any change at all... simply because the bar has been set SO LOW. brother

Now, if you want to look at the original Galactica and point to episodes like "The Magnificent Warriors", which even classic fans admit to being Galactica's version of "Spock's Brain", and try and use that to claim the entire series was horrible, then I would just like to thank-you for being Ronald D. Moore's loyal puppet. :\

But I would like you to show me an episode of Neo-Galactica that can hold a candle to:

Saga of a Star World
                          Lost Planet of the Gods
                          Gun on Ice Planet Zero
                          The Living Legend
                          Fire in Space
                          War of the Gods
                          Murder on the Rising Star
                          Experiment in Terra
                          Take the Celestra
                          The Hand of God

Well? Can you seriously tout episodes like 33, Water, Bastille Day - a cheap riff on "Baltar's Escape" - as being comparable? How about yawners like Scattered or Valley of Darkness, their big season openers?

With all the plot riffs and concept riffs from:

"Flight of the Phoenix (Water)"
                          "LEXX" (time repeating it's self - dark CGI FX - sex, sex, sex)
                          "ST: Voyager" (Seven of Nine, calling woman "sir")
                          "Space: Above & Beyond" (human build simulants out to kill humanity after becoming self aware)
                          "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" (Heavy Droid Troops = new Cylon design)
                          "Farscape" (Mental Clone of Scorpious being implanted into John Kryton's head)
                          "ID4" (computer hacking to disable enemy computer systems and leave them vulnerable to attack)
                          "Logan's Run" (Man and a woman running about post-nuclear world and being hunted down for extermination)
                          "Taken" (aliens looking to create a human/alien hybrid to evolve and preserve their race)
                          "Babylon 5" (Evolution conspiracy motivating the bad guys ~ coup of the legal president)
                          "Wing Commander" (Borrowing the opening/closing launch bay design, to say nothing of 3D animation style)

-- and the show ripping off dialogue from just about every popular movie and TV show that came out of the 1970s, including Patton and his verbal sparring with Monty, The Incredible Hulk and David Banner's warning to Reporter Jack McGee, etc, etc, etc. My god, it is like the guy goes to www.imdb.com and goes to the "famous quotes" area for a flick he's riffing, in order to find dialogue he can use, because Ronny and his boys cannot come up with any good lines on their own. :lol

This is what you call superior? brother

I am sorry but nothing Boxey and Muffit ever did, comes near to being as BAD as all the points mentioned above.

Having watched nine of the thirteen episodes from Season One – what most have told me were the best episodes of Season One – I have not been impressed, have not seen anything that even attempts to be original.

As a writer myself, I immediately took notice that Ronny is pulling a classic Hollywood trick... take a well known theme the audience has enjoyed in the past, and do it just a little bit different so as to make the new version of a tried and true story, not boring.

For the most part, he has succeeded, due in no small part to the director and NOT the writing.

I freely admit that Neo-Galactica is well directed and has very stimulating camera action, but the writing is paper thin – I’ve seen episodes of Power Rangers with more depth!

Also, let us not forget that ALL Ronald D. Moore has done... is take the ORIGINAL version of “Battlestar Galactica” and . . . stretch . . . it . . . out.

THAT’S IT!

Their entire first season brought us from the ORIGINAL Saga of a Star World, to the episode Lost Planet of the Gods! Their entire Second Season will ONLY take us from Lost Planet of the Gods, to the episode The Living Legend!

Am I really the only person who has noticed that Ronny is SO creatively bankrupt that ALL he can do is take the story arc from the original series and stretch the whole thing out with exposition and riffed plot points and call that a season?

How much you guys want to bet that their THIRD season (oh, God I pray it doesn’t make it that far ), would take them from the episode The Living Legend to the episode War of the Gods? Hmmm? Who wants to take that bet? :lol

Neo-Galactica? Still a sucky riff fest, packed with borrowed plots, stolen dialogue, and some piss poor characters who cannot hold a candle to the originals.

Face it the new Galactica sucks. It has one good actor but the stories are lame and stupid - plot's boring and tedious - and the entire show is devoid of any originality.
                          i just have one thing to say after having read all that...

I... Don't... Care!!

i dont care that it's not as good as the original, that doesn't mean it's not still worth watching.
                          i dont care if it's ripped off other stuff.. theres no original thought in the world any more anyway, and it still doesn't mean it's not worth watching

i just don't care,
                          you.. feel free to not watch it, but personally, i will.
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

green to you avatar. too right.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Kick-Kinsey (and X-3-0-2, you've stated this "arguement" many times)): what do shippers and thunkers have to do with anything? They have individual threads. They stick to those threads. They don't go spreading pictures and crap around every other thread in sight. It's a section of fandom that keeps to itself and knows it's boundries, and now apparently it's a sign of the "downhill" quality of BSG? The "anti-fans" sure are going for low blows now..... Saying that the show is crap because these people exist, and the threads are popular is nonsensical.

Not to mention the fact that I don't see anyone here "bashing" Stargate. We are all on a Stargate board for a reason. I don't see any "Moore-fanatics" either. I see fans of the show who love the show.

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                              i just have one thing to say after having read all that...

I... Don't... Care!!

i dont care that it's not as good as the original, that doesn't mean it's not still worth watching.
                              i dont care if it's ripped off other stuff.. theres no original thought in the world any more anyway, and it still doesn't mean it's not worth watching

i just don't care,
                              you.. feel free to not watch it, but personally, i will.
                              No kidding. Every single show, every piece of music, every piece of art is influenced by other works. Nothing isn't. So BSG is now at fault because it has influences? What kind of an arguement is that?

I don't give a frak about ratings, I love the show, and that's that. How "popular" it is has absolutely no influence, it's no indication of quality, and it's no indication of whether I keep watching or not. The season three finale was an amazing piece of television that has me dying for the next season to start. If ratings were the judge of what is good, and what I should watch, I'd be watching American Idol along with the rest of America, cause hey, look at the ratings, it must be some piece of brilliance.

Comment

What is it picasso said? Something to the tune of "good artists borrow, great artists steal." Who cares if RDM is taking ideas from star trek? If you think -anything- in our modern culture is 'original' then you're a flat out idiot. Hell, even Shakespeare stole Romeo and Juliet from Ovid.

Comment

Working...
                                X