This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    The last time I checked, people were still allowed to have opinions. YOUR opinion is that BSG is unoriginal and somehow "bad", but your opinion is just that: an opinion.
    I don't understand why you're reprimanding him for supposedly not allowing you to have your opinion when you're doing the exact same thing to him. It's his opinion that the show is not original and therefore it's also his opinion that people who believe that it is original are wrong. I don't see where he's not allowing you to have your opinion. He's just stating his. How can you have a debate when you can't say to the other side that they're wrong? When there's 2 opposing opinions, one side is trying to prove that the other side is wrong - at least that's the idea isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by apollo123
      I don't understand why you're reprimanding him for supposedly not allowing you to have your opinion when you're doing the exact same thing to him. It's his opinion that the show is not original and therefore it's also his opinion that people who believe that it is original are wrong. I don't see where he's not allowing you to have your opinion. He's just stating his.
      No what Shadow is saying is that if you are going to give the opinion, give why, give examples. If you don't think BSG is original, or is copying something else, say why, give examples. Just saying "BSG isn't original" is a cop out and waste of everyones time to even read the post.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
        No what Shadow is saying is that if you are going to give the opinion, give why, give examples. If you don't think BSG is original, or is copying something else, say why, give examples. Just saying "BSG isn't original" is a cop out and waste of everyones time to even read the post.
        No that's not what she said. She mentioned that, sure, but the bulk of her post was about how she didn't like that the poster called fans the show "silly" and "wrong" for thinking it's original.

Comment

No that's not what she said. She mentioned that, sure, but the bulk of her post was about how she didn't like that the poster called fans the show "silly" and "wrong" for thinking it's original.
          What are you talking about? Lets take another look at that post shall we?

Originally posted by Shadowmaat
          The last time I checked, people were still allowed to have opinions. YOUR opinion is that BSG is unoriginal and somehow "bad", but your opinion is just that: an opinion.

Other people have the opinion that the show IS fresh and original. Just because YOU disagree doesn't mean that THEY are wrong, it just means that you all have different ways of judging things.

There's nothing wrong with complaining about the show- especially if you (generally speaking) can come up with concrete examples to illustrate your points. HOWEVER, there's a line to be drawn and when you start prancing around telling other fans that they're wrong just because YOU disagree... that's where the trouble starts.

Stick to opinions about the show and leave the fans out of it.
          She doesn't say anything about liking or not liking that the poster thinks BSG is unoriginal. Her first paragraph reiterates that fact that BSG being unoriginal is his opinion. The second paragraph points out that some people think BSG is fresh and original and that neither side is right or wrong, they just have different opinions. The third paragraph points out that that complaining about a show is fine, but you should have specific examples to support your point, just going around saying the shows sucks and anyone that likes it is wrong is uncalled for. And the final line is just a re-iteration of the call to stick to opinions about the show and not attack other posters opinions. So where exactly is the attack?

Comment

I don't understand why you're reprimanding him for supposedly not allowing you to have your opinion when you're doing the exact same thing to him. It's his opinion that the show is not original and therefore it's also his opinion that people who believe that it is original are wrong. I don't see where he's not allowing you to have your opinion. He's just stating his. How can you have a debate when you can't say to the other side that they're wrong? When there's 2 opposing opinions, one side is trying to prove that the other side is wrong - at least that's the idea isn't it?
            Except that, for the most part, you can never win a debate. A debate is centered around changing the other person's opinion. Two things that often seem to happen to a debate (informal) is that it either escalates to an argument or the subject ends up changing. If someone concedes defeat, I don't think it is usually because their opinion has been changed, but probably more likely that they just see that they can't change the other person's opinion.

Comment

How about just ignoring him? It's obvious to me that he came here to start trouble, any way he can. He insults the show one way, we come up with a good response, he responds back with a new reason why BSG blows.

One of his threads on another site reads as:

"RDM IS AN IDIOT" and "BSG RIP"

He is one of Stallions guys, or as I put it, unable to debate with reasonably. They have nothing but insult after insult to throw at the show, no matter how many other scifi shows it also concerns. Never TOS, however, which seems to be the highest pillar of scifi godlyness to them.

This thread sort of reads as a "look at what this guy said!" type of deal, but truth is, he posted it here just to get a negative reaction.
              Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                So where exactly is the attack?
                I didn't mean that she's attacking the original poster's opinion that BSG is unoriginal. But she's attacking original poster's opinion that people who call it original are "wrong". Her entire post is based the position that it's not okay to call someone "wrong" because they disagree with you. She thinks that people have different opinions about the subject and that no one is wrong or right. To me, that's absurd. If I can't call you "wrong" for disagreeing with me, then what's the point of having a debate? What if we were having a debate about slavery. Is it not okay for me to tell you that you're wrong because you believe that slavery should be legalized again? Of course it's okay! I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong. That's why we're debating!

Comment

I didn't mean that she's attacking the original poster's opinion that BSG is unoriginal. But she's attacking original poster's opinion that people who call it original are "wrong". Her entire post is based the position that it's not okay to call someone "wrong" because they disagree with you. She thinks that people have different opinions about the subject and that no one is wrong or right. To me, that's absurd. If I can't call you "wrong" for disagreeing with me, then what's the point of having a debate? What if we were having a debate about slavery. Is it not okay for me to tell you that you're wrong because you believe that slavery should be legalized again? Of course it's okay! I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong. That's why we're debating!
                  One the one hand you could be right. On the other hand you are relating debating a TV show to debating slavery. There is a world of difference there. The TV show is as simple as turn it off if you don't like it. Slavery actually has consequences.

Comment

For the record, I was stating that it isn't right to state AS A FACT that someone's opinion is "wrong." Saying that in your opinion people are wrong to call BSG anything less than dross is one thing, but saying, "Apollo, you and your ilk are wrong for thinking that" is, in my opinion, quite a different matter. At least when it comes to opinion. If someone says that the Galactica is a lovely shade of pink, then feel free to tell them they're wrong, but if they think the show is fresh and original, why not say, "I disagree and here's why..."?

Why does it have to be an issue of "right" or "wrong" anyway? Why can't we stick to opinions and leave it at that?

But I'm digressing. That's the last I'm going to say on that subject. Any other "issues" you have with me or my opinions can be taken to PM. Or you can put me on ignore.

BSG may not be 100% original with characters and storylines that have never before been used in the history of mankind, but for me I think the show has enough going for it that I often don't notice or don't mind any similarities to anything else.

I don't think I've ever watched a scene and gone, "Ahh! Those b***ards ripped this off from XYZ!" Which, frankly, is more than can be said of either of the Stargates. Stargate makes me cringe because I've seen those stories before, the only time I've ever cringed during BSG is when a scene is particularly gritty or it hits a nerve.

Comment

BSG may not be 100% original with characters and storylines that have never before been used in the history of mankind, but for me I think the show has enough going for it that I often don't notice or don't mind any similarities to anything else.

I don't think I've ever watched a scene and gone, "Ahh! Those b***ards ripped this off from XYZ!" Which, frankly, is more than can be said of either of the Stargates. Stargate makes me cringe because I've seen those stories before, the only time I've ever cringed during BSG is when a scene is particularly gritty or it hits a nerve.
                      The thing is with pretty much any tv show or movie it is quite impossible to be truly original anymore. There is almost no character type or storyline that hasnt already been done in some way or form already. I can't remember the last time I saw a tv show or movie that was truly original in storyline, or a character that was absolutely unique. Its not even a matter of copying either. Its just that there has been so many tv shows and movies made that even if someone has never seen a single tv show or movie, ever, and they come up with a storyline or character, chances are someone else has already come up with the same or similar story or same and similar character.

Comment

Well yeah... although I DO wonder about the doubling up of Hollywood blockbusters- two movies about killer rocks hurtling towards Earth, two movies about natural disasters, even two movies about ants. They may not be similar in the finer details, but I've always found the timing suspicious. Which is probably neither here nor there.

I don't think anything has to be COMPLETELY original, but it should provide enough twists and angles that it isn't a blatant copy of something else and IMO, BSG accomplishes that pretty well.

Comment

Well yeah... although I DO wonder about the doubling up of Hollywood blockbusters- two movies about killer rocks hurtling towards Earth, two movies about natural disasters, even two movies about ants. They may not be similar in the finer details, but I've always found the timing suspicious. Which is probably neither here nor there.
                          I have always wondered that too. It happens every year so it cant be a coincedence but I have yet to figure the connection or formula.

Comment

Originally posted by wontgetfooledagain
                            One the one hand you could be right. On the other hand you are relating debating a TV show to debating slavery. There is a world of difference there. The TV show is as simple as turn it off if you don't like it. Slavery actually has consequences.
                            I was using an extreme example to get my point across - that it's ok tell someone that you think they're wrong about something. Also, when you tell someone that they're wrong, it's implied that it's your opinion. To have to preface "in my opinion" before every sentence just seems silly to me. And yes, I think we are done with this subject.
                            Last edited by apollo123; 23 March 2006, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Thank heaven these boards ensure our rights to express our beliefs - however divergent, right or wrong, or simply nihlistic - where anyone can comment and be shot down in 30 seconds flat.

IEatCylons - whomever or whatever you are - you have the right to post and say anything you wish. I respect your comments and see some very valid points.

But on the whole I disagree with you. I respect the level and intesity of your dislike. Good for you. I just think you are on the borderline of being obsessive. That's not bad either. I think George Lucas has great ideas, but should be never allowed to write dialog again.

BSG is working. It appeals to a broader fan base than the original. The numbers don't lie - the new BSG has been seen - episode by epsiode - than more people saw the original in it's time. And to give a bit of respect to the downloading BITTORRENT community - BSG episode now rank #1 in the downloaded per daily #'s of any pirated show on TV. That says something. The old BSG doesn't even rank in the top 1000.

That's because it isn't SCI-FI. It's Genre Drama.

I agree that some elements of the old series made it more Opera than Drama. But having been given the taste of the drama side of things, I want a few more helpings before someone ressurrects Start Trek again.

Keep up your work - whatever it may be. It affords you the time to study, disect and write your views.

POWER!

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
                              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Comment

Originally posted by IEatCylons
                                I know BSG is not 100% original but im sick of people acting like BSG is fresh and new because its not well maybe S1 but now it just your standard scifi show.
                                from dictionary.com

punc·tu·a·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pngkch-shn)
                                n.

1. The use of standard marks and signs in writing and printing to separate words into sentences, clauses, and phrases in order to clarify meaning.
                                Thanks!
                                Jordan

my page
                                My LJ
                                From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Working...
                                X