X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
    Very nice too if I may say.
    Thank you.

I've also fallen in love with Ivanova and Sheridan's relationship. I read in a chat with Bruce and Claudia that they had wished for a romantic relationship between the two, but I am so glad they didn't go there. Having that friendship between them really added a deeper layer to both characters, which we wouldn't have seen if they had gone the other way.

In honor of them, here's my newest.

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

Originally posted by manybleemsago
      Thank you.

I've also fallen in love with Ivanova and Sheridan's relationship. I read in a chat with Bruce and Claudia that they had wished for a romantic relationship between the two, but I am so glad they didn't go there. Having that friendship between them really added a deeper layer to both characters, which we wouldn't have seen if they had gone the other way.

In honor of them, here's my newest.

Man, I didnt know that. I am sooo glad they did not go there. Another underling shipping with their boss would not have been a good thing. The best thing about Sheridan\Delenne was it seemed like a natural adult relationship between equals. No UST just a pleasant naturally evolving relationship.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
        Man, I didnt know that. I am sooo glad they did not go there. Another underling shipping with their boss would not have been a good thing. The best thing about Sheridan\Delenne was it seemed like a natural adult relationship between equals. No UST just a pleasant naturally evolving relationship.

It was that naturally evolving relationship that took me by surprise, let me tell you. I wasn't expecting it at all...and that it was so angst free (shakes head). I didn't know they could do that on television. Not that I mind angst (I generally love it), but John and Delenn's story was such a change of pace and so well done...I've watched a lot of television in my lifetime (grin), and I can't ever recall seeing something similar; where, as the story arc shifts the ground under the main characters' feet, their course stays steady (but progresses through the natural phases of life) as the anchoring element in the whole story. Wonderful stuff.

Ivanova's love for Sheridan was just freaking brilliant.

I watched a couple of episodes of ST:TNG last night, and it got me to thinking about an interview I read with JMS, in which he talked about the ST model of team writing vs his experience on B5...that having so many fingers in the pie, you lose the individual writer's voice. I have to agree. Yes, there were times when he could have used some more help, but on the other hand, I don't think Ivanova (and everyone else) would have been quite so well done using an ST team approach.

Comment

Originally posted by manybleemsago
          I watched a couple of episodes of ST:TNG last night, and it got me to thinking about an interview I read with JMS, in which he talked about the ST model of team writing vs his experience on B5...that having so many fingers in the pie, you lose the individual writer's voice. I have to agree. Yes, there were times when he could have used some more help, but on the other hand, I don't think Ivanova (and everyone else) would have been quite so well done using an ST team approach.
          But not many writers have the clout to get away with that nowadays. Hence the writing-by-committee we see in so many shows. Generally it works ok but a team of writers can't produce the inspired gem of a one-man vision that was B5.
          sigpic
          "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

But not many writers have the clout to get away with that nowadays. Hence the writing-by-committee we see in so many shows. Generally it works ok but a team of writers can't produce the inspired gem of a one-man vision that was B5.

The only way a commitee might come close is if they sat down and wrote out a three-season draft for a series along with character bios for each member of the main cast - all this before writing the pilot - and then having the discipline to stick with it.
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I know, I know. I'm wishing for the moon...

Comment

I know a lot of people cite Aaron Sorkin as having that sort of inspired writing and he is indeed fabulous but by the time he left, TWW was becoming very messy. Comes from not having a story bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  The only way a commitee might come close is if they sat down and wrote out a three-season draft for a series along with character bios for each member of the main cast - all this before writing the pilot - and then having the discipline to stick with it.
                  I think what is bothering me about the team approach is that it reminds me of the R&D process. A developer friend of mine has told me how frustrating it can be to propose an innovative project, only to have it hashed out and changed so much it's unrecognizable when it gets back to him. At some point you have to let the creative types a free rein, or else you get a soulless exercise in special effects and stagnant characters. Ya' know what I mean?

Comment

What I liked the most about B5 was that they were realistic about the occasional need to take sides and try to achieve victory. Too often, SciFi tends to glorify the compromisers and appeasers who negotiate treaties and stress the need for "peace" above everything else. You could tell that B5 was going to be different at the end of the second season when Susan Ivanova closed the last episode (The Fall of Night) with a monologue that included the following:

"We came to this place because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace. By the end of 2259, we knew that it had failed.

But in so doing, it became something greater. As the war expanded, it became our last, best hope – for victory.

Because sometimes, peace is another word for surrender."

That had to be one of the most hard-hitting lines in the entire series. She echoed part of this thought on the season 3 intro and that's when I got hooked on the show.
                    Shallow are the Ori!
                    sigpic

Comment

One of my favorite things about B5 was the Vorlons.... so mysterious. I was excited to get this series on DVD I will never forget getting Season 1 from Amazon, way back when. Before that, I remember them airing B5 on TNT! After reading this thread I want to watch B5 again.

Comment

More trivia from Babaylon 5:

Won two Hugo awards in two consecutive years.

The special goodbye salute used by Alfred Bester ('Walter Koenig' ) in the episode "Mind War" is the same one used in the short-lived series, "The Prisoner" (1967). The salute - and the catchphrase "Be seeing you" from the same show - were also used by other characters throughout the first season, all of whom turned out to be Earthdome "mole" agents or affiliated with PsiCorps.

In "Eyes", as Lennier is meditating while building the motorcycle, he chants "Zabagabee" which is the name of the greatest hits album for his band, the Jenerators. He got in trouble with JM Straczynski over this, he was told to not plug any more albums. (Read that as Bill Mumy).

In the episode "TKO" from season one, Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova is seen reading Harlan Ellison's book "Working Without a Net." Harlan Ellison is credited as the conceptual consultant for Babylon 5. "Working Without a Net" is the title of Ellison's planned autobiography, but does not exist as of today (2004). According to J. Michael Straczynski, Ellison borrowed the prop and carried it around for a short while to make people think they had missed it when it came out.

Claudia Christian auditioned for the role of Seven of Nine on "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995).

Thank the Maker that CC didn't get/take the job on STV. (my comments).

Comment

Originally posted by OriKiller
                          What I liked the most about B5 was that they were realistic about the occasional need to take sides and try to achieve victory. Too often, SciFi tends to glorify the compromisers and appeasers who negotiate treaties and stress the need for "peace" above everything else. You could tell that B5 was going to be different at the end of the second season when Susan Ivanova closed the last episode (The Fall of Night) with a monologue that included the following:

"We came to this place because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace. By the end of 2259, we knew that it had failed.

But in so doing, it became something greater. As the war expanded, it became our last, best hope – for victory.

Because sometimes, peace is another word for surrender."

That had to be one of the most hard-hitting lines in the entire series. She echoed part of this thought on the season 3 intro and that's when I got hooked on the show.

Yes...this is another thing that grabbed me about this show. It's uncompromising look at war and that it is sometimes necessary, even though no reasonable person is for it. That's what makes this show timeless - because its themes are timeless.

Comment

Just watched most of season 5 (borrowed some tapes from a friend) and the series finale WOW!!! The goodbye between John and Delenn....lets just say I was looking for a tissue!!!!! And the dinner w/ all the friends. Even Ivonava was there!!!! Great episode!!! Great show!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                              In "Eyes", as Lennier is meditating while building the motorcycle, he chants "Zabagabee" which is the name of the greatest hits album for his band, the Jenerators. He got in trouble with JM Straczynski over this, he was told to not plug any more albums. (Read that as Bill Mumy).
                              I think it's hilarious how JMS always worked personal stuff into the characters. I heard about how Jeff Conaway was complaining about how his uniform didn't fit one time and then the next day JMS had altered the script to add a scene where Zack complains about it the same way. He also wrote Delenn's dialogue during the Minbari civil war episodes in a way that was similar to Bosnia because Mira is from that area and had first-hand experience with the tensions there. Great stuff.
                              Shallow are the Ori!
                              sigpic

Comment

I loved Babylon 5! I thought that it was so well written with such a great story arc and the cast were amazing as were the characters that they portrayed. Ivanova was my absolute favourite character on B5! I loved her and Marcus!

Luce xxx

Comment

Working...
                                X