Praise and Admiration for Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    Stargate (s1-8) is the best episodic Sci-fi show ever (IMHO) but B5 was the best story arch sci-fi show ever (IMHO).
    Agreed. I've been doing B5 discussion panels at a local SciFi convention since 1998. It's amazing how much interest there still is in a show that has been off the air for 7 years. We never run out of things to talk about. B5 is my favorite SciFi show of all time.
    Shallow are the Ori!
    sigpic

Comment

And another Marcus Gem

"who knew they were french?"

Sorry French fans but it was just so dang funny because it was so unexpected.
      ()

Which episode was this in?
      sigpic
      Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
      "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Dang... the one where Ivonava and Marcus are out looking for the other Older races.... Looking, looking, looking for the name. May have to get out all my DVDs and look through them.. oooo the horror .

Episode was: Voices of Authority

The whole scene.... they are trying to talk to some of the first ones to convince them to help out and.

Marcus: "I think you just hit a nerve. Vorlons must owe them money or something."
        Ivanova: "This also tells us they understand our language. They are just not willing to speak to us using that."
        Marcus: "Who knew they were French?"
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

the show was great. The characters, the dialogue, the effects were all amazing. i even loved the shortlived spin off. there was talk of a movie but apparently its become trapped in development limbo. Was hoping they'd be able to pull a FireFly.
          What is the name of the ep were Garibaldi Keeps asking people to join him for his 3rd favorite thing in the universe and it ends with him and Delenn watching cartoons in his quarters. I thought that was hilarious.
          Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath
            the show was great. The characters, the dialogue, the effects were all amazing. i even loved the shortlived spin off. there was talk of a movie but apparently its become trapped in development limbo. Was hoping they'd be able to pull a FireFly.
            What is the name of the ep were Garibaldi Keeps asking people to join him for his 3rd favorite thing in the universe and it ends with him and Delenn watching cartoons in his quarters. I thought that was hilarious.
            I think that was the first ep
            Midnight on the Firing Line

And it was "second favorite thing in the universe"
            Duck Dodgers in the 24th and half century.

This Third favorite thing in the universe was brought up in another episode and was Tea. He tells Talia that in "A Spider in the Web" (I think).

Not sure what his first favorite thing is
            But second is watching cartoons (Im guessing the popcorn is optional)
            And third is Tea (but he may have just been saying that to hit on Talia )
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Londo: 6000 years of recorded history. A history which includes remarkable composers, astonishing symphonies, but what is the one song that half of them sing to their children generation after generation?

"You put your right hand in, you take your right hand out, you put your whole self in and you turn yourself about. You do the Hokey Pokey and you give a little shout. That’s what it’s all about."

It doesnt mean anything. I’ve been studying it for 7 days. I had the computer analyze it. I swear to you: it does not mean a thing!

Draal: I rather enjoyed it
              Delenn: Don’t tell him
              Draal: You’re sure?
              Delenn: Trust me

Comment

G'Kar: Two little fishes, left in the sea. Two little fishes, just Londo and me...

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

Originally posted by manybleemsago
                  I think you may be right about this! I have to say, I really appreciate JMS' portrayal of women. Both Ivanova *and* Delenn. I like it that both characters were written so that they did not have to be all stoic-like to be believable female *leaders*.
                  And it wasn't just those two. Marjorie Monahagn's mars rebel, Caitlin brown as NaToth, Talia and Lyta and all the guest-of-the-week female characters were all well written. It was the first SF show I watched where I felt that the writers weren't actually defining the female characters by their gender any more or less than they defined male characters by theirs.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                    It was the first SF show I watched where I felt that the writers weren't actually defining the female characters by their gender any more or less than they defined male characters by theirs.
                    Well said, this is one reason why Ivanova is my all-time favourite scifi female. She is so human, quirky, flawed, strong, vulnerable, in a word believable. (near enough!)
                    Makes a refreshing change. Sam Carter comes in a close second, though.
                    sigpic
                    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                      And it wasn't just those two. Marjorie Monahagn's mars rebel, Caitlin brown as NaToth, Talia and Lyta and all the guest-of-the-week female characters were all well written. It was the first SF show I watched where I felt that the writers weren't actually defining the female characters by their gender any more or less than they defined male characters by theirs.
                      Absolutely!

JMS is so good with strong characterization overall...right now I'm rewatching the opener for season 2, which begins to introduce John Sheridan's backstory in less than 3 minutes. By episode 2 Sheridan's reaction to his wife's death is explored (and then again in episode 12). By the end of the season, Sheridan's relationship with Delenn is well on its way. To have such a strong showing for a new character so quickly is *really* impressive. And what really impresses me is that even though the Sheridan/Delenn relationship was started early, he doled it out very slowly and in a very believable way.

Geez this show rocked.
                      Last edited by manybleemsago; 20 January 2006, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                        Sam Carter comes in a close second, though.

I was thinking the same thing. She started off kind of rocky (that horrible 70's feminist retread speech) and then really got going later on. (I especially loved the episode where Jacob tells her he has cancer. It was her relationship with her father that was the 'hook' that reeled me into becoming a Stargate addict.) My only problem with her character is that her story seems...incomplete. But then, this is a Sam/Jack shipper talking.

Comment

My first ever banner.

Comment

My first ever banner.
                            Very nice John\Delen sig!

Comment

Very nice John\Delen sig!
                              Thank you! I had a blast making it.

Comment

My first ever banner.
                                Very nice too if I may say.
                                sigpic
                                "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Working...
                                X