Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm
    Yggdrasil is not in any way, shape or form connected to the tree of life, or the tree of knowledge. It represents the connections of the cosmos and how the realms interact (or don't)
    To put it into Christian terms, it's the connection between heaven, hell and "earth"
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Umm
      Yggdrasil is not in any way, shape or form connected to the tree of life, or the tree of knowledge. It represents the connections of the cosmos and how the realms interact (or don't)
      To put it into Christian terms, it's the connection between heaven, hell and "earth"
      Every civilizations had its own twist to it but that's like exactly the definition of the Tree of Life from Christianity or even older than that in the era of Babylon we have found carvings of the Tree of Life dating back to the Mesopotamians, that's 3100BC.

From the wiki:

The tree of life is a widespread myth (mytheme) or archetype in the world's mythologies, related to the concept of sacred tree more generally,[1] and hence in religious and philosophical tradition.

The tree of knowledge, connecting to heaven and the underworld, and the tree of life, connecting all forms of creation, are both forms of the world tree or cosmic tree,[2] and are portrayed in various religions and philosophies as the same tree.[3]
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Yes, tree's have been used in representative form in many religions. So have "sacred storage spaces", floods, Arks and all other forms of symbolism. What I am trying to say is what a tree represents in one religion does not mean what it might mean in another.
        sigpic

Comment

Are we talking about Wookies now?

Comment

No
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Are we talking about Wookies now?
              Sorry, not crazy enough for this thread.

Yes, tree's have been used in representative form in many religions. So have "sacred storage spaces", floods, Arks and all other forms of symbolism. What I am trying to say is what a tree represents in one religion does not mean what it might mean in another.
              Oh yeah absolutely that's pretty much what I meant actually. I recall looking Ygg up because I heard it in an Amon Amarth tune, that's when I began interested in Norse mythology and I'm sure you know a thousand times more than me on that topic but I'd like to go back to my original question about the significance of those carvings for Christianity in Domme. Obviously I'm not expecting a definite answer since historic knowledge of the Teutonic Order is very limited.

Tood talked about the Adam and Eve myth and the two trees. That's the myth I grew up with too but maybe it was something else for them. Maybe it was even a completely different meaning, who knows. I've also read somewhere that Ancient China actually had something quite identical to the biblical Tree of Life, in terms of design and looks, which had 9 nodes instead of 10.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Are we seeing a pattern here?
                Spoiler:

Comment

Umm
                  Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

Oh yeah absolutely that's pretty much what I meant actually. I recall looking Ygg up because I heard it in an Amon Amarth tune, that's when I began interested in Norse mythology and I'm sure you know a thousand times more than me on that topic but I'd like to go back to my original question about the significance of those carvings for Christianity in Domme. Obviously I'm not expecting a definite answer since historic knowledge of the Teutonic Order is very limited.

Tood talked about the Adam and Eve myth and the two trees. That's the myth I grew up with too but maybe it was something else for them. Maybe it was even a completely different meaning, who knows. I've also read somewhere that Ancient China actually had something quite identical to the biblical Tree of Life, in terms of design and looks, which had 9 nodes instead of 10.
                  Just to be clear, this is what I meant by using norse imagery but in a Christian context. The Tree of Life as used by the Templars would have been divorced from the stories of Yggdrasil and only have the commonality of being a tree with important religious connotations. All that stuff about connecting the different realms would have been the parts they would have discarded (the corrupt part of the message, if you will).
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    Just to be clear, this is what I meant by using norse imagery but in a Christian context. The Tree of Life as used by the Templars would have been divorced from the stories of Yggdrasil and only have the commonality of being a tree with important religious connotations. All that stuff about connecting the different realms would have been the parts they would have discarded (the corrupt part of the message, if you will).
                    Absolutely right tood, hence why I tried to put it in Christian terms.
                    They are still nowhere near the same thing.
                    In fact, putting it in Christian terms was probably bad because it allows for the mixing of mythology.
                    It's good for conversation, and exchange of idea's.
                    It's really bad for keeping your story straight.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yea okay, that makes sense to me. I get why GF pointed out they are not the same thing, just the same medium. Although interesting to see heretic concepts used as inspiration for mainstream religions that condemned it simultaneously.

Seems like heresy included more forbidden beliefs over the years and abuse from the authorities.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Seems like heresy included more forbidden beliefs over the years and abuse from the authorities.
                        The Malleus Mallificarum comes to mind.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The "fact" of the matter is, religions borrowed from each other because they tried to find commonalities between each other. "your tree is like my tree", "your goat is like my bull". That's rarely true in the, umm, "lore" but it allows different societies to come togeather.

People tend to do one of two things, find common ground, or find reasons to not have common ground. In this sense, religion (and even lack of it) is like patriotism, it represents a kind of "national identity" that crosses any kind of gap in the political or social system.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            The Malleus Mallificarum comes to mind.
                            The hammer of Witches in the common parlance.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yea okay, that makes sense to me. I get why GF pointed out they are not the same thing, just the same medium. Although interesting to see heretic concepts used as inspiration for mainstream religions that condemned it simultaneously.

Look into Mithras if you want that kind of stuff
                              sigpic

Comment

Boiled in mail or burned to the stake?
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X