No announcement yet.

Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As promised, here's the tut for the Kate Beckett signature.

You will need:

Texture 1
    Texture 2
    Texture 3
    Texture 4
    Texture 5
    Texture 6
    Texture 7

I used these proportions: 500 x 180 px.

Position your models on the canvas. Resize, crop or even do hard cuts if you need to. Duplicate, sharpen or even alter the exposure if you think they're overly bright.

Place Texture 1 to the right of the canvas, resize if needed. Set to Multiply, opacity: 58%. Erase the parts that obscure the models' faces.

Add texture 2 (the notebook). I've resized it all the way down so that it looks as though it sticks out of the model's head. Position it to the left, rotate if needed.
    Go to Image > Adjustments > Invert. Set to Multiply, 100% opacity. This adds an additional highlight because of the large background picture of Stana.

Add texture 2 again, resize and rotate until it's approximately perpendicular to the first notebook image. Do not invert the image this time, set to Multiply, 100% opacity.

Add texture 3 (done by Tenjoutenji @DA), resize and rotate until it cuts a line between your models. Erase the parts that obscure the models' faces and the hard edges. Set to lighten, 100% opacity.

Add texture 4. Set to Multiply, 52% opacity. Erase the parts that obscure the models. I chose this to add the shapes in the white spaces at the ends of the canvas.

Place texture 5 to the left of the canvas, so that the words are at the bottom. I tilted it a bit for style. Erase the hard edges. Set to overlay, 100% opacity.

Place texture 6 to the right of the canvas. This is more for colouring and shading than anything else. Erase the hard edges. Set to hard light, 100% opacity.

Place texture 7 (done by lovewillbiteyou @ DA) over the canvas. I actually used the 'advert' picture for the texture pack because it looked so varied! Erase the parts that obscure the models. Set to overlay, 73% opacity.

Add your text. Experiment with the colours and the typefaces! I used Engravers MT in black for Stana Katic.

Add a gradient adjustment layer. I chose the preset gradient called 'Spectrum' which resembles the deep colours of a rainbow. Set to soft light, 35% opacity.

Add a selective colouring layer and I used these settings:

Neutrals: -14, -6, +10, +13
    Blacks: +13, -3, -16, 0

Finally, add a white border to the whole canvas and we're done!
    Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
      Guy of Gisborne! I prefer him clean-shaven though!
      I don't mind the beard, I just hated the mullet! To be honest I hated him through season 1-2 ( he was a villain, so it's proof how good he is as an actor). And fell in love with him at season 3...OT
      Spoiler:
      If you all have the opportunity, looks aside, just pay atention to what he's doing, even when the focus of the scene is not on him. He's always in character and reacting to what other actors are doing. He's spot on on whatever emotion he should be expressing. And he's not very histrionic, it's all in small changes of facial expression and small gestures.

I used to care that I wrecked tuts as well, but now, the moment I sit down to do one, I've become more aware of the fact that many variables are different (except for the texture): the bast picture and the background, the quality of the picture, the angle of the model's pose etc...and those always affect the final outcome. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess I just learn how to shrug and trash the ones that don't.

I guess I should react that way...
      Originally posted by Major Ryan View Post
      Thank you for the welcomes!. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on programs to use for image editing? I have Serif Photo editor and although it's easy to use there are some issues with it.

-To get images to be lighter it tends to over expose them and causes blotches in skin tones.
      -Resizing leaves them blurry and the adding a sharpening tool makes it pixilated.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
      Not having used the programme it's hard to help. I have PS 2 but before that, I was considering GIMP.

I think I need to get away from icons for a bit! In a bid to do something different, I ended up with this...

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg503/Ikorni/Others/kb_zps012ac8d6.jpg
      Originally posted by maneth View Post
      Cool sig Ikorni. Sadly I'm all out of green...
      Agreed and same problem here...

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
      Wonderful sig Ikorni!

I seem to be creative at night, made a Jack/Sam sig...
      http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ck-sam-sig.jpg
      ..and here. It has the most beautiful watercolour I've seen in a long time. it's stunning.

As promised, here's the tut for the Kate Beckett signature.

You will need:

<snip>
      Uhoh... I see trouble ahead D
      sigpic
      Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
      Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Okay I just did this one and it's about the best I can do. Still think it doesn't look as neat as you guys works, but am i heading on the right track?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tut Ikorni

Can I put out a general request that when anyone posts a tut they could also post the piece of artwork that it refers to? That way we can all see instantly what the tut is for, rather than having to search back through the thread

Thanks

And apologies to JW for the misunderstanding regarding tut links

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
            Thanks for the tut Ikorni

Can I put out a general request that when anyone posts a tut they could also post the piece of artwork that it refers to? That way we can all see instantly what the tut is for, rather than having to search back through the thread

Thanks

And apologies to JW for the misunderstanding regarding tut links
            Oh, Jumble you don't need to apologise to me. You didn't nothing that would offend me. Neither did anyone else here. *blushes* It was just a misunderstanding. Or me being stupid...whatever.*shrugs*

Moving on... I did a little of mix and match with ikorni's tut

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...1#post13878542 ( see, now it's linked to the post )

( and this one by Wh!PmyH4!r

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Shadowpl...howtopic=23790

And yes, it takes me ages to get 4 measley icons...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
              Oh, Jumble you don't need to apologise to me. You didn't nothing that would offend me. Neither did anyone else here. *blushes* It was just a misunderstanding. Or me being stupid...whatever.*shrugs*

Moving on... I did a little of mix and match with ikorni's tut

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...1#post13878542 ( see, now it's linked to the post )

And yes, it takes me ages to get 4 measley icons...
              It's a great try considering you've only just started out!

Oh, I should mention, doing a set takes me a heck of a long time. It's actually more time consuming than banners or sigs because I take forever just to decide what goes where.
              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Okay I just did this one and it's about the best I can do. Still think it doesn't look as neat as you guys works, but am i heading on the right track?
                I don't really think there's a 'right' track so to speak; every sig or banner gives you more practice and you will eventually find your own style. I liked it.
                Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

So many pretty arts lately!

I made this from this tut by brinigirl @ Shadowplay:

sigpic
                  Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/daxboy/LJHLKJ_zps392bda1e.jpg
                    Is that a Never Ending Story banner? how cool! Really like the clawed effect, that's very clever and very appropriate to the character ( Is it a Gmork...? I can't remember its spelling). I really like it when the elements fit the story. I don't know what you mean by neat but that's a very good piece.

It's a great try considering you've only just started out!

Oh, I should mention, doing a set takes me a heck of a long time. It's actually more time consuming than banners or sigs because I take forever just to decide what goes where.
                    Seing such a small thing it's really hard to compose the elements, as it is to decide the colouring. It doesn't do well with subtle and I tend now to over saturate. Then there's the problem on the difference on how it looks on my laptop screen and how it ends up looking after being uploaded to PB. It doesn't do well with subtle and I tend now to over saturate. I normally start with a bigger square then I scale it down. Perhaps that's the problem.

I don't really think there's a 'right' track so to speak; every sig or banner gives you more practice and you will eventually find your own style. I liked it.
                    Yep, that's the idea. So far, we like what you got.
                    sigpic

Comment

Great art everyone.

Nola!

Thanks, Maneth! I've always had a big problem with cropping from a sig or a wallpaper. More than not, I tend to crop badly and end up with half a face because I want a nice texture. Or vice versa!

You mean the screencaps of Cate Blanchett? It's actually from a photoshoot on a fansite.
                      Yes, thank you!

Here is some stuff I did. Forgive me if I broke board rules , but I've been reading it all day and still confused as to what it what. Let me know if I need to remove them. Anyways I haven't done much Stargate stuff and still trying to make a good wallpaper without text being too big and such.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/daxboy/th_gndfgm_zps69dd4e51.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/daxboy/th_boggling_zps3047bccd.jpg

[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/daxboy/th_bcb1b47f-9e03-4fda-b426-b6c8014e2ac0_zpse8742dd8.jpg
                      Welcome to the thread, great SG1 wallies.
                      Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Just out of pure curiousity... Does anyone know of a place that has these texture packs so that I may download them? Both the websites that they were hosted on are no longer working but I would love to use them if I can find them. Thanks for any information any of you can provide.
                        sigpic
                        Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

I made a Barbot Wallpaper

http://fav.me/d6d06a1

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                            I made a Barbot Wallpaper

http://fav.me/d6d06a1
                            I really love it. It's got the focus on the right ( I have all my pesky icons on the left.) and I love the textures you added.
                            sigpic

Comment

Took a long time to get all the textures on it..

50 points/US cents to download..

All going towards my 3D printer fund..

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                                Took a long time to get all the textures on it..

50 points/US cents to download..

All going towards my 3D printer fund..
                                Uh, how do I send it to you?

EDIT: Duh, got it
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X