No announcement yet.

Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I've been busy otherwise I would've done this earlier.

Summer Glau banner tut:

Spoiler:

Banner size is 800x300
    Base background is black.
    First layer is Summer Glau pic. If you can find one with a colored background it may make your art easier... didnt't have to edit around her. I scaled the height of cap to 300 and then used a smudge tool to feather out the coloring. (If you have to edit your subject I would suggest to add another layer underneath and use Blend Tool with 2 different colors to get a similar look.

Next layer I used this cap. Place in your desire postion. Duplicate a second layer and Flip that one. So both covers the whole banner. 1st of 2 I set to Layer Mode to Multiply and reduced opacity to 96% and the second is also in Multiply and opacity set at 28-29%. Use Layer Mask on both and your blending tool to blend out edges.

Next layer are the arches. I just used the top of the cap. I didn't adjust size of cap. If you choose to that is up to you. Layer Mode is set at Dodge 100% opacity. I used Layer Masking around the edges to soften the hard lines a bit.

This layer is also set at Dodge 100%. I placed it so it had the little strip at the bottom.

Finally cap is again set at Dodge 100% and once more I use Layer Masking around the edges.

I used the smudge tool to eliminate any lines from the various textures. You can adjust your coloring to your desire.

For text I used Scriptina Bottom layer black and top white.

I hope I got it all. Give me a shout if you have question.

Planet: I will try to answer you question later this afternoon.
    Last edited by scifan; 10 May 2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Gah! I can't green people! Something about spreading reputation? Ok, going off to the Free Green Thread to 'release' my greens before I come back.
      Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by scifan View Post
        Sorry I've been busy otherwise I would've done this earlier.

Summer Glau banner tut:
        <snip>
        Lovely! I so wanted to try that one. I really love art with architectonical elements, that's one of my usual things.

I also wanted to try Josiane's second tut but I can't figure out which character/actors images to use. Talk about jaded.
        sigpic
        Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
        Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Had a go at josi's tut. Think I went a little left field. . . . .

Comment

Gorgeous work Ikorni, Estrela, and lg! Really beautiful!

Thanks for the tuts, Nola and sci
            sigpic
            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Beautiful arties!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                Well, I always thought "left field" had a nicer view. Well done on giving it a personal touch. You and Ikorni were able to do it. And I luurrve Kavan. Nice sparky effect without being overwhelming.

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                Gorgeous work Ikorni, Estrela, and lg! Really beautiful!

Thanks for the tuts, Nola and sci
                Originally posted by maneth View Post
                Beautiful arties!
                So, agree. When are we going to get a tut from you, Maneth? It's not fair keeping all that "Captain Tightpaints" awesomeness to yourself. Just sayin'
                sigpic

Comment

thanks everyone for the tuts so far
                  sigpic
                  Sig by me my LJ - the place to find some of my artwork and fics - My Stargate vids

Comment

ranting
                    Spoiler:
                    stupid hair: it absolutely refused to blend. I became too tired to fight it

Here is my take on Scifan's beautiful TUT: I had to change a few things because I wasn't getting the same results in PS in the way layers blended. (Don't mention the hair; NEVER mention the hair...) By changing it, I do not mean I'm improving it...

Josiane's one is still on the back of my mind but for the life of me I can't decide who am I going to use . Yes, I am a tut enthusiast
                    sigpic

Comment

Beautiful!

Argh... Can't remember when I last wrote a tut.
                      sigpic

Comment

Beautiful!
                        You're too kind.

Argh... Can't remember when I last wrote a tut.
                        See, time to restart now
                        sigpic

Comment

JadedWraith, I thought the hair was ok! I'm just wondering how her face is sharp in some parts and blurred in others? Just threw me for a bit, that's all.
                          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Ahh. . . .hair! I have that problem a lot with hair. Usually, what I do is use a large round soft brush (with NO hardness whatsoever) and carefully blend it in. Otherwise, I give people haircuts a lot.

Comment

I've been captivated by an advertisement of late (the OPI nail polish Autumn 2013 range) and I'd love to give this a shot some day. (linking from an external website - hope that's ok)

Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                                JadedWraith, I thought the hair was ok! I'm just wondering how her face is sharp in some parts and blurred in others? Just threw me for a bit, that's all.
                                I wondered that too. To get this effect I had to add the textures on top of her a lot, repositioned, erased, blended,erase layers, readded layers, added masks, deleted masks and somewhere along the way it got like this. o_O And it's two images of Rachel: in one I decreased the brightness to get a darker background, so I could get the arches and the other images visible and the second with no changes. Trying to get the hair half decent in each layer was driving me crazy. I should have used the same mask. ...oi! I couldn't decide on the right shape. I know, out of pure ehxaustion, I said enough.

With all this ranting, it seems there is something wrong with Scifan tut, there is none. The problem was on the way I approached it. I always take the long road.

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                                Ahh. . . .hair! I have that problem a lot with hair. Usually, what I do is use a large round soft brush (with NO hardness whatsoever) and carefully blend it in. Otherwise, I give people haircuts a lot.
                                I did use a large soft brush...I was so tempted to get her bald.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X