This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Get that through your head, your government is a form of democracy. Accord or a Civic, they are both Hondas. You don't seem to have an issue with tyranny of the minority / idiocracy.

There is no difference, none whatsoever. Either he dictates how it's going to be, or he waits until the treasury runs dry and dictates how it's going to be. Both ways are wrong, both ways goes against freedom and democracy, which were until now I thought values you (Americans) held dear. Two scenarios, same outcome.
    and you get it through your head: there is a world of difference between a democracy and a republic...as an old saying goes:

democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat....a republic is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
      There is no difference, none whatsoever. Either he dictates how it's going to be, or he waits until the treasury runs dry and dictates how it's going to be. Both ways are wrong, both ways goes against freedom and democracy, which were until now I thought values you (Americans) held dear. Two scenarios, same outcome.
      And it is just as wrong to continue to allow the invasion occurring at our southern border. (or any other, but the problem is there now)

Comment

A Brotherly Takeover: Could Russia Annex Belarus?

Minsk and Moscow are like an old married couple; they tend to air their long-standing grievances in public. This time, a dispute over compensating Belarus for a Russian oil tax maneuver prompted Moscow to revisit the oldest disagreement: the 1999 Union Treaty that has never been implemented.

Russia issued Belarus what sounded like an ultimatum: financial support in return for greater integration with the Russian state. But with the constitution preventing Russian President Vladimir Putin from seeking another term after 2024, many viewed the ultimatum as a threat. A barrage of publications, official statements, and even anonymous social media posts claimed that the annexation of Belarus is inevitable. Such a move, the theory goes, would then allow Putin to become president of the Russian-Belarusian Union State.
        Belarus’ leader slams Russian talk of taking over his nation

Kremlin creates committee to oversee integration of Russia and Belarus

Obama's reluctance to confront Russia over Crimea has proven to be a gift that keeps on giving... and giving... and giving...

Somehow I do not see Trump being any better in that regard, however.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          And it is just as wrong to continue to allow the invasion occurring at our southern border. (or any other, but the problem is there now)
          I am unaware of any armies attacking the US at any border.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            and you get it through your head: there is a world of difference between a democracy and a republic...as an old saying goes:

democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat....a republic is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote
            This is like saying A thumb is not a finger because it is a thumb. The finger being democracy and republic being a thumb. Are you seriously suggesting that a republic isn't a democracy? You might as well say a Senator isn't a legislator simply because not all legislators are senators.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
              Belarus’ leader slams Russian talk of taking over his nation

Kremlin creates committee to oversee integration of Russia and Belarus

Obama's reluctance to confront Russia over Crimea has proven to be a gift that keeps on giving... and giving... and giving...

Somehow I do not see Trump being any better in that regard, however.
              Why would he be?
              Obama's failing on a military front was that he did not want to start new wars, but sometimes the beatstick is needed as well you know. Lets be real here, Americans don't want to be involved in proxy wars, but they have been up to their eyeballs in them since the 50's, and Bush Jr's Iraq war was just about the straw that broke the US back. They cop grief for being in them, but any ally WANTS them there. In this regard, and only this one I agree with the republicans calling for a retreat of US military force and aid.
              You can't ask the cop to bust everyone else and ignore what his buddies do.
              At the same time, the US pretty much chose to be the cop, and they can't walk away now without some serious ramifications to area's like Korea or the Middle East.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                This is like saying A thumb is not a finger because it is a thumb. The finger being democracy and republic being a thumb. Are you seriously suggesting that a republic isn't a democracy? You might as well say a Senator isn't a legislator simply because not all legislators are senators.
                He's too busy playing his fiddle while Rome burns.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  Why would he be?
                  Obama's failing on a military front was that he did not want to start new wars, but sometimes the beatstick is needed as well you know. Lets be real here, Americans don't want to be involved in proxy wars, but they have been up to their eyeballs in them since the 50's, and Bush Jr's Iraq war was just about the straw that broke the US back. They cop grief for being in them, but any ally WANTS them there. In this regard, and only this one I agree with the republicans calling for a retreat of US military force and aid.
                  You can't ask the cop to bust everyone else and ignore what his buddies do.
                  At the same time, the US pretty much chose to be the cop, and they can't walk away now without some serious ramifications to area's like Korea or the Middle East.
                  That's a lot of words for so little substance.

Americans don't want to be involved in wars? Fine. They better get ready to pay the price, and to keep on paying until that Cold War-era spine grows back, if ever. The cost of stalling an inevitable confrontation is well illustrated by World War II's fall of France, and isolationism has long ceased to be a viable option.

All of America's critics and armchair moralizers better also remember that when the lion leaves the forest, it is the wolves not the rabbits who dominate. Europe will be pushed into a very bad corner if Russia keeps expanding unchecked.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                    That's a lot of words for so little substance.

Americans don't want to be involved in wars? Fine. They better get ready to pay the price, and to keep on paying until that Cold War-era spine grows back, if ever. The cost of stalling an inevitable confrontation is well illustrated by World War II's fall of France, and isolationism has long ceased to be a viable option.
                    I'm agreeing with you.
                    So many words just to have a go.

All of America's critics and armchair moralizers better also remember that when the lion leaves the forest, it is the wolves not the rabbits who dominate. Europe will be pushed into a very bad corner if Russia keeps expanding unchecked.
                    Ok, lets leave the troops in Europe and Korea, but screw the Middle East, they can take care of their own.
                    You can take care of your own wolves, right?
                    sigpic

Comment

who needs democracy? only those who have no problem with tyranny of the majority
                      how about that! Kim Jong would agree he prefers tyranny of the minority
                      how long till the US becomes the US(SR)?

which is why our government isn't a democracy but a constitutional republic
                      so are China & Noko (and we know your King's affinity for their leaders)

in this case it's 1 wolf ruling over all you sheep

Comment

It's not an "old saying", it's a modern excuse for claiming a republic is not a democracy. Republics were the first form of democracy.
                        Someone needs to read more history, or get his arse of the couch and learn something.
                        sigpic

Comment

Our own CBC journalists went there, and you could almost see the hay ball rolling in the background, like in the old westerns.
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                            I am unaware of any armies attacking the US at any border.
                            What would you call the 12+ million illegals that are already living here? Surely, you've read about the caravans periodically making their way northward through Mexico? Surely, you don't intend to tell me that they're all fleeing political persecution?

And yes, from time to time, you read about groups trying to rush the border.

It may not be a military action in the conventional sense, but it is an invasion nevertheless.

Comment

^ what about "jobs americans won't do"

Comment

What would you call the 12+ million illegals that are already living here? Surely, you've read about the caravans periodically making their way northward through Mexico? Surely, you don't intend to tell me that they're all fleeing political persecution?

And yes, from time to time, you read about groups trying to rush the border.

It may not be a military action in the conventional sense, but it is an invasion nevertheless.
                                I'd call it paranoia and hyperbole
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X