No announcement yet.

The GLBT and GSA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i actually had a gay uncle. he died of aids before i was born though.
    anyway back on topic.
    of course gay folk should have the right to get married.
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
      i actually had a gay uncle. he died of aids before i was born though.
      anyway back on topic.
      of course gay folk should have the right to get married.
      1.) lol at your sig! Cyanide and Happiness is the best web comic ever

2.) talking about your dead uncle is on topic... we don't just talk about civil rights that gays should have, but we already have and how the world is reacting to us...
      I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
      sigpic

Comment

*Pulls out a goa'uld healing device and atempts to revive the thread*

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23551136-2,00.html

Something interesting in the news here in Australia

SCHOOLS will not move to stop using words like mum and dad, or girlfriend and boyfriend, the New South Wales Education Department says, despite reports that public schools are under pressure to provide gay-friendly environments.

Changes to terminology, such as using the word "partner" to cover heterosexual relationships, are being sought by gay lobbyists bent on reducing discrimination in a major anti-homophobia push in the state's schools, The Daily Telegraph reports.
        What does everyone here think of that.

In my own personal oppinion I am sure that changeing the words to more politically correct words like "Partner" will increase discrimination insted of decreaseing it. The things that the political correctness brigade get behind often end up being ridiculed by society. A lot of people here in Australia are against political correctness

Me, I am still going to refer to M/F couples as Husband and Wife, M/M couples as husband and Husband and F/F couples as Wife and Wife. Why do I have to bow down to an idiotic lobyiest group?

Comment

i agree... politcal correctness just gives more cause for discrimanation... i remember one of my black friends once telling that if i wasn't comfortable about calling her black and had to be politically correct, then our friendship wouldn't work out... i believe my answer was "chick, you a nigga, you always gonna be a nigga... we live in a town full of niggas... the whitest person here is that oreo sittin in the corner..." that's one of the closest friendships i have... if we try to be politically correct all the time, we just add more distance... if you can't jokingly call your black friends "nigga" then wtf are you doing being friend with them for....
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
            i agree... politcal correctness just gives more cause for discrimanation... i remember one of my black friends once telling that if i wasn't comfortable about calling her black and had to be politically correct, then our friendship wouldn't work out... i believe my answer was "chick, you a nigga, you always gonna be a nigga... we live in a town full of niggas... the whitest person here is that oreo sittin in the corner..." that's one of the closest friendships i have... if we try to be politically correct all the time, we just add more distance... if you can't jokingly call your black friends "nigga" then wtf are you doing being friend with them for....
            you are totally correct, I mean my girlfriend even calls me a dyke, of course I then tell her that she is one too
            and my friends also call me a lesbo (what is kind of the Dutch version of dyke, just different)
            and you know what I don't mind, cause I am one

God how annoying would it be if they called me a lesbian or someone who likes the other gender all the time, I am sure I would go mental.

Of course sometimes you have to use those words, with people you hardly know.

I mean if your boss is a black person, would you call her nigga then??

Comment

'course not! i'd call him black out of respect... after all, he's my boss, not my mate... but i'm not gonna do the politcally correct thing and call him an african american.... that's an insult to him, unless someone in his family from the past four generations is actually from africa....
              sigpic

Comment

I agree with all of you that having to be politically correct can go to far sometimes, not using GF/BF that seems a bit ridiculous to me, IMHO of course.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                sigpic
                Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

LaCroix posted this in the Torchwood news thread, and i thought it appropiate for here as well...

Davies rubbishes 'influential gay' title
                  "I mean I hope, I think, I do good work and I’ll be very visible as a gay man because I think that’s very important, but in terms of being influential when there are people out there fighting for changes in the law, homophobia in schools. That’s influence."
                  quite frankly, i think he's wrong... by writing gay characters who become popular, he is influencing the community... he's inspiring those who are fighting for the changes... fiction always has a happy ever after... but it is influenced by present day issues while at the same time influencing them... it's an eternal loop... his characters inspire ppl to fight for what they believe in, and in return their struggles inspire characteristics and quirks of the fictional character...

what do you guys think?
                  sigpic

Comment

LaCroix posted this in the Torchwood news thread, and i thought it appropiate for here as well...

quite frankly, i think he's wrong... by writing gay characters who become popular, he is influencing the community... he's inspiring those who are fighting for the changes... fiction always has a happy ever after... but it is influenced by present day issues while at the same time influencing them... it's an eternal loop... his characters inspire ppl to fight for what they believe in, and in return their struggles inspire characteristics and quirks of the fictional character...

what do you guys think?
                    modesty is a good quality, quite a rare one in film and tv, so while he could be seen as influential i think its good that hes too modest to say so

Comment

what do you guys think?

I my opinion he's had some popularity here in the States. I've had a few friends who told me about his Queer as Folk mini in the UK. I then decided to watch it, it wasn't bad.

Then when Showtime started Queer as Folk (US), I wanted to see if this would be true to RTD's version. It was for most of sesaon 1, but since it needed to show it's own voice, as it were, it took another path. One with gay marriage, equal rights, adoption, AIDS, are just to name a few.

Yes in my opinion, he is an influence to everyone in the global world.

Comment

http://blackniya.deviantart.com/art/...ering-83845249
                        sigpic

Comment

A news story from 365gay.com:

http://365gay.com/Newscon08/04/042508prin.htm

Comment

that is bull****! both women worked as competant admin at their respected locations before the merger... even with the tightened competition, i'm pretty sure both women had enough credentials and exp to get re-hired... damn beaurocratic pricks... there was so totally discrimination against both women.... grr
                            sigpic

Comment

Schools like to be seen as doing something about problems. Schools will waste money on frivelous things such as this insted of tackleing real issues such as bullying and harassment.

Government discrimination from a different angle and from a different country.

Singapore has recently re-vamped it's video game rateing legislation and has lumped "Homosexual themes" with crime, adult themes etc. As a gamer my self of an affected orientation I am outraged by it and I am woundering what your oppinions are on the topic.

From 28 April 2008, videogames with “homosexual themes” cannot be sold to anyone under 18, announced the Media Development Authority (MDA) on 14 April. A new rating system will come into effect that day, under which the “Mature 18? category is meant for games with:

Violence: Realistic depiction
                              Sex: Sex with some nudity
                              Nudity: Topless or occasional full frontal nudity
                              Language: Frequent use of strong coarse language
                              Drug use: Realistic depiction
                              Adult themes: Crime and homosexuality
                              References:
                              http://gamepolitics.com/2008/04/23/i...-game-ratings/
                              http://www.plu.sg/society/?p=104
                              Last edited by gavo2o; 29 April 2008, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gavo2o View Post
                                Schools like to be seen as doing something about problems. Schools will waste money on frivelous things such as this insted of tackleing real issues such as bullying and harassment.

Government discrimination from a different angle and from a different country.

Singapore has recently re-vamped it's video game rateing legislation and has lumped "Homosexual themes" with crime, adult themes etc. As a gamer my self of an affected orientation I am outraged by it and I am woundering what your oppinions are on the topic.

References:
                                http://gamepolitics.com/2008/04/23/i...-game-ratings/
                                http://www.plu.sg/society/?p=104
                                that is extremely frustrating. Guh.
                                sigpic
                                Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Working...
                                X