No announcement yet.

The GLBT and GSA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, i know!!! i've shared it with my non-scifi-fan friends and they love it! that cat is the best alien evah!!!!
    I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
    sigpic

Comment

Hey....this thread is like dead sci fi characters sometimes, it's never really gone

I have a thought to put to the group. Why do you think it is that gender bending, even in the silliest and most superficial ways seem to provoke such a strong reaction from people?

Up here in the mountains where the air is thin and lack of oxygen and civilisation does funny things to the brain we celebrate 'moustache march' where the guys all grow in or shave in a moustache for the month of March. The girls are usually left out of the fun, but this year my boss bought a bunch of very silly stick on moustaches for all the girls. I got the oddest and most inappropriate remarks all day, some sexist, some sexual and some just rude....all for a very silly stick on moustache. I was just wondering what you all thought on the topic of gender bending and the strong reaction it seems to get.

I also scared a lot of small children all day
      sigpic
      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
        lol.. don't worry LA... this thread dies periodically... oddly enough, no one has anything to talk about until they have a gay moment, which just makes everyone else nostolgic about the time it happened to them

and yesh... can't wait for DW to start up again either.... going thru TARDIS withdrawl and for LOLcats, i must point you in the direction of this There be a Lulzkat in ur Turchwad

OMG my sides hurt from laughing. Thanks for that Lilith.

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
          Hey....this thread is like dead sci fi characters sometimes, it's never really gone
          that is the best description ever... you get a cookie

I have a thought to put to the group. Why do you think it is that gender bending, even in the silliest and most superficial ways seem to provoke such a strong reaction from people?

Up here in the mountains where the air is thin and lack of oxygen and civilisation does funny things to the brain we celebrate 'moustache march' where the guys all grow in or shave in a moustache for the month of March. The girls are usually left out of the fun, but this year my boss bought a bunch of very silly stick on moustaches for all the girls. I got the oddest and most inappropriate remarks all day, some sexist, some sexual and some just rude....all for a very silly stick on moustache. I was just wondering what you all thought on the topic of gender bending and the strong reaction it seems to get.

yay for scaring children! i really can't give you an honest opinion.... my friends, for such a conservative society, are all very open about a lot of things... now i have been confused as a guy a few times... my 9th standard i went to open house to meet my teachers with my dad... he was standing right in front of me and introduces himself as "******'s dad" and the teacher replied, "where is he?" at which point i steeped off to the side and said "she is right here"... now i can understand that... i have an indian name, and unless you know the language you really can't tell if it's feminine or masculine, so i never held it against here...

in my 11th standard, i was waiting for my mother to pick me up from school and this 9 year walks up to me and asked out flat "are you a girl?" in his defense, i had just cut off all my hair into a boyish style, i was wearing a baggy hoodie, and i have facial hair... just to mess with him i replied "naw, i 'm just wearing make-up b/c i'm gay"

i've always had this reputation as a freak, so i got left alone alot and never had to deal with it... and so far at uni, i still haven't had a problem... tho that could b/c i wopre cat ears every day for two and half months

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
          OMG my sides hurt from laughing. Thanks for that Lilith.
          not at all... i still can't read it with a straight face and i've read that fic atleast half a dozen times by now
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, this thread indeed has more lives then a pride of felines hehe.

Most of my experience with gender bending is from online vurtual worlds where people seem to be more tollerent of it.
            My avtar in Second Life is a gender bender who is known to randomly change genders and most people on there seem to have no problem with it although there are some who do but they soon learn to leave me alone on the issue.
            From what I have been told many people actually think I am female in real life so much so I had to edit my profile to inform people of my actual gender.

Comment

*snort* that's another thing... if you online game, like i do... you have to be careful who you flirt with... most experienced guys will have a female character b/c they have better grace/agility... or if they're really pervy, b/c they have big boobs and if you angle the camera just right, you can get a panty shot [( speaking from exp on that one )] and every now and then you might get a girl who makes a guy character just to switch things up a bit... but most of the time, guy characters are played by guys... it's hilarious watching a guy character flirt with a chick character... esp when you know that that chick is being played by a dude my own friends do that b/c it's endless fun teasing these guys...
              sigpic

Comment

that is the best description ever... you get a cookie

yay for scaring children! i really can't give you an honest opinion.... my friends, for such a conservative society, are all very open about a lot of things... now i have been confused as a guy a few times... my 9th standard i went to open house to meet my teachers with my dad... he was standing right in front of me and introduces himself as "******'s dad" and the teacher replied, "where is he?" at which point i steeped off to the side and said "she is right here"... now i can understand that... i have an indian name, and unless you know the language you really can't tell if it's feminine or masculine, so i never held it against here...

in my 11th standard, i was waiting for my mother to pick me up from school and this 9 year walks up to me and asked out flat "are you a girl?" in his defense, i had just cut off all my hair into a boyish style, i was wearing a baggy hoodie, and i have facial hair... just to mess with him i replied "naw, i 'm just wearing make-up b/c i'm gay"

i've always had this reputation as a freak, so i got left alone alot and never had to deal with it... and so far at uni, i still haven't had a problem... tho that could b/c i wopre cat ears every day for two and half months

not at all... i still can't read it with a straight face and i've read that fic atleast half a dozen times by now
                *eats cookie* yeah...I used to have really short hair and would get offensive remarks on the street and when using the bathrooms. It was really funny actually, my best mate is a guy and we'd walk into our respective bathrooms and both get asked if we were in the right bathroom. *rolls eyes*

Originally posted by gavo2o View Post
                Yes, this thread indeed has more lives then a pride of felines hehe.

Most of my experience with gender bending is from online vurtual worlds where people seem to be more tollerent of it.
                My avtar in Second Life is a gender bender who is known to randomly change genders and most people on there seem to have no problem with it although there are some who do but they soon learn to leave me alone on the issue.
                From what I have been told many people actually think I am female in real life so much so I had to edit my profile to inform people of my actual gender.
                *snort* that's another thing... if you online game, like i do... you have to be careful who you flirt with... most experienced guys will have a female character b/c they have better grace/agility... or if they're really pervy, b/c they have big boobs and if you angle the camera just right, you can get a panty shot [( speaking from exp on that one )] and every now and then you might get a girl who makes a guy character just to switch things up a bit... but most of the time, guy characters are played by guys... it's hilarious watching a guy character flirt with a chick character... esp when you know that that chick is being played by a dude my own friends do that b/c it's endless fun teasing these guys...
                Lol...I do enjoy gender bending online, many mmorpgs I've played almost randomly as male or female or depending on the states. On runescape my character changes gender every few weeks when ever I am a little bored. On WOW I have a male dwarf cos the female dwarves look weird. I once played a game for a while where female characters were far superior states wise and so, unusually, most people regardless of real life gender played female characters. I was in a guild and couldn't actually convince some of the people I played with that I really was female in real life lol.
                sigpic
                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

*swoops in and retrieves thread from the 5th page!*

hmm...I don't really have much to say in response here. I've personally never been mistaken for a guy. Been called a tomboy throughout my life, but that's about it. *shrugs*

To me it's all about individuality. When people judge another person based on their looks, they're being very shallow imho. So we don't all fit nicely into another's opinion of an "accepted norm." Who cares! Being who you are, no matter what that may be is what makes the world and interesting place to live in. If everyone was a carbon-copy of another, think how boring it would be. *shudders at the thought*

In answer to the question, I think the reason people react so strongly to bending the gender rules is simply fear of the unknown. It scares them so to cover their fear (weakness) they twist it so it's not about themselves which in turn makes them feel better. Kinda like the crackhead calling the pothead a loser I guess. *shrugs* We all have our faults...it's life.

Comment

oh, i know!!! i've shared it with my non-scifi-fan friends and they love it! that cat is the best alien evah!!!!
                    Urgh. I was just getting a notice now that this place had been updated. Anyways, lol, yes BEST ALIEN EVAH.

Ceiling cat is watching you!!
                    [color=darkred]
                    I'm usually very quite when I first meet people and they think I'm all soo nice and polite. Shy. But hehe, when they get to know me (<i>and I semi-trust 'em. I haz true issues, I do.</i>) they find out that yes, I'm pretty much off my nut or whatever you say. lol. And obssesed with slash. The damn thing hasn't left me alone since like... I don't know. 2001 maybe. lol.

But cat ears!!! You wore cat ears!? Oh my, you totally rock. lol.

In my last semester at school (Technical college or whatever.) I wore my hip-scarf I use for Bellydancing. But it was because of umh, this day called Ash Wednesday or something. lol.

But I have devil horns now (from last years Halloween) that I love using whenever I can. lol. Hmm.

Haha. That is just so mean, but brilliant. I love it.

*eats cookie* yeah...I used to have really short hair and would get offensive remarks on the street and when using the bathrooms. It was really funny actually, my best mate is a guy and we'd walk into our respective bathrooms and both get asked if we were in the right bathroom. *rolls eyes*

Lol...I do enjoy gender bending online, many mmorpgs I've played almost randomly as male or female or depending on the states. On runescape my character changes gender every few weeks when ever I am a little bored. On WOW I have a male dwarf cos the female dwarves look weird. I once played a game for a while where female characters were far superior states wise and so, unusually, most people regardless of real life gender played female characters. I was in a guild and couldn't actually convince some of the people I played with that I really was female in real life lol.
                    Ouch.

People have thought i was a guy because my nickname is Dru. and I go What? No. It's short for Drusilla. You know, from Buffy. And they go Ohkay. *Sighs*

I had a crappy day, really really crappy. But heh, this kind made it like a smidge better. Though I still have a cold and just ugh. Stupid job. *Kicks*

Hmm. Does anyone read the ses. 8 Buffy comics here?

Because
                    Spoiler:
                    lol. Buffy and Satsu. Yes, yes. I know, it's not like this is going to be like a relationship. or so they say anyways. But I thought that was brilliant. And funny. And the stuff with Xander and everybody. I was like, that is soooo Buffy. That issue was just so like an ep. to me.

And Andrew!!

But maybe this wasn't such a WTF moment for me because I had already been shipping Buffy/Satsu in my head anyways. Hey, I never knew anything would ever happen. I just have LOVED Satsu from the start and I ship people I like most of the time. lmao.

I wanted to write fic, but never got around to it. lol.
                    Last edited by lonely_angel_42; 18 March 2008, 02:21 PM.
                    Reinette Poisson: My Dear Doctor... I have seen the world inside your head and know that all things are possible. Hurry then my love; my days grow shorter now and I am so very weak. Godspeed my lonely angel. ~ The Girl in the Fireplace, New Doctor Who, ses. 2.

42 = Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything ~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

My IJ

Comment

Originally posted by lonely_angel_42 View Post
                      I'm usually very quite when I first meet people and they think I'm all soo nice and polite. Shy. But hehe, when they get to know me (<i>and I semi-trust 'em. I haz true issues, I do.</i>) they find out that yes, I'm pretty much off my nut or whatever you say. lol. And obssesed with slash. The damn thing hasn't left me alone since like... I don't know. 2001 maybe. lol.

But cat ears!!! You wore cat ears!? Oh my, you totally rock. lol.

In my last semester at school (Technical college or whatever.) I wore my hip-scarf I use for Bellydancing. But it was because of umh, this day called Ash Wednesday or something. lol.

But I have devil horns now (from last years Halloween) that I love using whenever I can. lol. Hmm.
                      yes cat ears... i'm trying to do something different every semester... last was cat ears, this semester is goggles, next semester i'm thinking blue hair but i didn't start wearing them until well into the semester... before that i was exactly like you... shy on the outside, ranodm crazy slasher on the inside.... and i never hesitate to say what's on my mind....

Ouch.

People have thought i was a guy because my nickname is Dru. and I go What? No. It's short for Drusilla. You know, from Buffy. And they go Ohkay. *Sighs*

I had a crappy day, really really crappy. But heh, this kind made it like a smidge better. Though I still have a cold and just ugh. Stupid job. *Kicks*

Hmm. Does anyone read the ses. 8 Buffy comics here?

Because
                      Spoiler:
                      lol. Buffy and Satsu. Yes, yes. I know, it's not like this is going to be like a relationship. or so they say anyways. But I thought that was brilliant. And funny. And the stuff with Xander and everybody. I was like, that is soooo Buffy. That issue was just so like an ep. to me.

And Andrew!!

But maybe this wasn't such a WTF moment for me because I had already been shipping Buffy/Satsu in my head anyways. Hey, I never knew anything would ever happen. I just have LOVED Satsu from the start and I ship people I like most of the time. lmao.

I wanted to write fic, but never got around to it. lol.
                      i need to get those... both Buffy and Angel Omnibuses... tho if you're a huge vampire fan, i must recommend Anita Blake... vampires, lycanthropes, zombies, and a necromancer thrown into the middle of it all... personally i love Edward... he doesn't get enough screen time tho... and Hamilton made him straight... i total waste really... it would have been really coll if Death were gay
                      sigpic

Comment

Haha.

I have like 12 Anita Blake books. I loved them and a total waste to make death straight. lmao. She just got a bit too smutty. I'm all for teh smut, but I like a lil plot in my smut. lmao.

And now I'm just working. But I don't talk much with the people. Well, at least not about stuff i susually talk about. lmao. Except one guy.

At lunch, we eat and talk about all kinds of things. From political stuff to like haha weeeiird stuff. But somehow it always ends up talkin bout things related to slash. lol.

I don't know. He says he likes gay places because they have really good music and stuff. lmao. I'm not a very social person, so I wouldn't know but lmao, this guy is strange. Very.

*Shrugs*

Happy Easter. (Sounds so silly, but what else can ya say.)
                        Reinette Poisson: My Dear Doctor... I have seen the world inside your head and know that all things are possible. Hurry then my love; my days grow shorter now and I am so very weak. Godspeed my lonely angel. ~ The Girl in the Fireplace, New Doctor Who, ses. 2.

42 = Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything ~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

My IJ

Comment

YAY it's Easter! And my mate brought me good chocolate from back home, not quite an Easter egg, but darn close.

I've also spent all day painting the living room...and I have mild whiplash so that's been interesting...guh.

I spent three hours Tuesday night sandwiched between my ex and her sister in the front of her sisters car, twas rather strange. My ex has hardly spoken to me all winter....and then I have to spent three hours crammed up against her...lol.
                          sigpic
                          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I'm getting a god sized Easter egg with a smurf ontop. Heee.

I love thatthey have Smurfs again. :9

And yes, hah, that is rather weird.

My IJ

Comment

Haha.

I have like 12 Anita Blake books. I loved them and a total waste to make death straight. lmao. She just got a bit too smutty. I'm all for teh smut, but I like a lil plot in my smut. lmao.
                              i own all of them except the Harlequinn, but only b/c it's not out in paperback yet.... but i have read it!! and my best friend is collecting the comics as they come out... she actually knows a friend of the artist... she's three degrees away from knowing Hamilton!!!!

Originally posted by loney_angel_42 View Post
                              And now I'm just working. But I don't talk much with the people. Well, at least not about stuff i susually talk about. lmao. Except one guy.

At lunch, we eat and talk about all kinds of things. From political stuff to like haha weeeiird stuff. But somehow it always ends up talkin bout things related to slash. lol.

I don't know. He says he likes gay places because they have really good music and stuff. lmao. I'm not a very social person, so I wouldn't know but lmao, this guy is strange. Very.

*Shrugs*

Happy Easter. (Sounds so silly, but what else can ya say.)
                              i have a few guys who are straight but i can talk to about slash and gay stuff... three of them even read yaoi... i love my notgay friends

and Happy Easter!!!! even tho i'm not Christian... my MMORPG has Easter Eggs as rare drop items... just my luck, i found one with a million dollars in it....
                              sigpic

Comment

i own all of them except the Harlequinn, but only b/c it's not out in paperback yet.... but i have read it!! and my best friend is collecting the comics as they come out... she actually knows a friend of the artist... she's three degrees away from knowing Hamilton!!!!

i have a few guys who are straight but i can talk to about slash and gay stuff... three of them even read yaoi... i love my notgay friends

and Happy Easter!!!! even tho i'm not Christian... my MMORPG has Easter Eggs as rare drop items... just my luck, i found one with a million dollars in it....
                                I have the comic that was just two issues and was called The First Death. lol. But that's cool.

lmao. Yesh, being able to talk about slash and stuff and people won't look at you like Ohkay. And also don't think I'm talking about that musician or slasher flicks. Seriously. lol.

Hah. I'm agnostic, and am mostly in the Easter thing for the Chocolate egg with a Smurf ontop. Click-y!

And in Icelandic your born into the umh, national church. Well, I guess unless your parents are a different religion or something. i don't know. We're mostly Lutheran or something here. *Shrugs*

Anyways, I'm just too damn lazy to sign the papers that will make me not in the National church. lmao.

My IJ

Comment

Working...
                                X