The GLBT and GSA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
    ...mainstream America just isn't ready for it....
    Will they ever be ready?
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      It's about heritage not law in my opinion, if it's different then why can't it have a different name?
      because they deserve the same rights we have, if they love each other and want to get married they should be able to, equal rights and all that,
      Last edited by jesserella; 09 July 2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Will they ever be ready?
        at the rate we're going, not in my lifetime....
        I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jesserella View Post
          because they deserve the same rights we have, if they love each other and want to get married they should be able to, equal rights and all that,
          They should get the same rights, but it still shouldn't be called a marriage, because it's not.

Comment

They should get the same rights, but it still shouldn't be called a marriage, because it's not.
            in the states, it's called a civil union, which if you look at it from a legal standpoint, is just another term for marriage... now if you go into religious context, a marriage is a holy union of two souls... it's when you get into specific religions that marriage is defined "one man, one woman" and even then, that's in the more modern religions... the old pagan and neolithic interpretations, do not set those limits...
            sigpic

Comment

well me i use the dont ask dont tell policy in these type of matters

Comment

which is totally unfair!! i mean you can serve as long as no one knows? what makes you different from anyone else?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Davesg-43 View Post
                  well me i use the dont ask dont tell policy in these type of matters
                  What kind of matters?
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Jenks is correct. The traditional definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Of the same race.

Only in the past century or so has marriage actually been a relationship between two individuals who love each other. Traditionally, marriage was an economic arrangement. Guys wanted women with higher dowries. The woman's job was to further the population of the human race. The woman had no power, the man owned the woman. There was never an element of love to it. It was only about money and sex. Rarely love.

Traditionally, marriage was only between those of the same religion. People from the same country. From the same soci-economic status. And yes, it was between a man and a woman.

My point is this. We have completely torn down the tradition that is marriage. We get married, for the most part, for love. Generally, we don't care about a person's skin colour, religion, place of origin, or wealth. Generally, we don't get married to a person our parents decided we'd marry before we were born. We marry who we want to marry, because we feel that marriage is something more. Something special to share with another.

The definition of marriage has changed. The tradition of marriage has changed. Marriage now is nothing close to being similar to what it was 200 years ago. Traditional marriages do not exist anymore. The tradition has been torn down.

Only select few carry on the tradition, and, on the whole, society ridicules them. There are laws against forced marriages, against polygamy. The term "Gold Digger" is not a nice phrase, yet everybody who got married between about 500-1800 AD was a Gold Digger. Society itself ridicules traditional marriage.

And now the argument that Gay Marriage is traditional has come up. I say this: Marriage has no tradition. Marriage is now an equal party relationship. It's a union of love, not convenience. It can be between anybody, not just those of similar social status. And it is no longer about man and woman. It is more. We have made it more. Marriage is now based around acceptance and love. This is our tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by cowpants View Post
                      Jenks is correct. The traditional definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Of the same race.

Only in the past century or so has marriage actually been a relationship between two individuals who love each other. Traditionally, marriage was an economic arrangement. Guys wanted women with higher dowries. The woman's job was to further the population of the human race. The woman had no power, the man owned the woman. There was never an element of love to it. It was only about money and sex. Rarely love.

Traditionally, marriage was only between those of the same religion. People from the same country. From the same soci-economic status. And yes, it was between a man and a woman.

My point is this. We have completely torn down the tradition that is marriage. We get married, for the most part, for love. Generally, we don't care about a person's skin colour, religion, place of origin, or wealth. Generally, we don't get married to a person our parents decided we'd marry before we were born. We marry who we want to marry, because we feel that marriage is something more. Something special to share with another.

The definition of marriage has changed. The tradition of marriage has changed. Marriage now is nothing close to being similar to what it was 200 years ago. Traditional marriages do not exist anymore. The tradition has been torn down.

Only select few carry on the tradition, and, on the whole, society ridicules them. There are laws against forced marriages, against polygamy. The term "Gold Digger" is not a nice phrase, yet everybody who got married between about 500-1800 AD was a Gold Digger. Society itself ridicules traditional marriage.

And now the argument that Gay Marriage is traditional has come up. I say this: Marriage has no tradition. Marriage is now an equal party relationship. It's a union of love, not convenience. It can be between anybody, not just those of similar social status. And it is no longer about man and woman. It is more. We have made it more. Marriage is now based around acceptance and love. This is our tradition.
                      "Traditional" is just a nice way of saying "stagnant."
                      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                        "Traditional" is just a nice way of saying "stagnant."
                        I tried to put in a mocking tone of voice every time I said Traditional. Did it come through?

Traditional. What a goofy concept.

Comment

there is no such thing as tradition... just repetative motions... that's what marriage was til recently... you had the white dress, the little extras that brought just that bit of luck, the same vows exanged all the time... it was all just one repetative motion....
                          sigpic

Comment

Traditional is another word for obselete

The people who don't want to move on for what ever reason often hide behind the excuse of tradition

Comment

Okay: HUGE catch-up post coming up and then after it if I have time enough will tell a bit of my lovely life story, might give some of the peepz in here a view on things ;-)

This is a friendly ground for anyone who agrees with the sentiment above. If you are a narrow-minded bigot, you may want to leave before someone gets offended. Because here, we:
                              Nice idea for a thread but you can call me stupid now but what does GLBT and GSA stands for??
                              Sorry English isn't my native language and abrevations is hard to get I mean I tried though, but I would say G= gay L= Lesbian and B=bisexual but what is the T and S and A stands for??

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                              what's so bad about same sex marriage?

I don't understand why people start conflict over it, I mean it's just two people who love each other. What's so bad about that?
                              Nothing is bad about it, but the fact is people have to get used to it. Like they also had to get used to a black men marrying a white female. Now you see it everyday but before you hardly saw it. I mean people need time to accept something like it, and one day they will accept it and see what they are saying is narrow-minded. Cause in the end that is what it is...

Originally posted by Adria View Post
                              it goes against the bible and other various religions
                              I am a Christian but still am bi-sexual (although I do think I am lesbian, not sure yet) and while I know what verses you are meaning, it is all how you see things. It is how you interpret things ;-)

which we will astutely ignore here unless you wanna poke fun at their misbegotten ideals anyways, someone suggested that someone should start a safe haven for GLBT people to meet and talk here on the forums, and for accepting straight people to join in too of course.... i just couldn't think of a better opening post
                              Honestly, I must say this forum is hte nicest place if it comes to Gay, Bisexual and Lesbian people. I think they are very open-minded in here and are very accepting. Well where I go anyway so...

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                              It's all based on how you are taught - in the pastr everone was taught that it was wrong, However these days people are a lot more open minded, so I would think that in a couple of years there will be a lot more supporters then there are today
                              It all depends on where you grew up with that is true and how you are thought, I must say I always hid my sexuality cause I thought I was wrong, cause that is what they always told me. And honestly I don't people are that open minded. Some are, some aren't. I mean some say they don't mind that someone is gay or not, but then when it comes down to their own friends and family, you will see another story of the whole story
                              And of course people will come over the year more acceptence, that is how things always go...poeple don't deal good with change. they need time for change...

Originally posted by ladyjanus View Post

I have little to no patience with gay-bashers of all ilks, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to read what other literate and opinionatedpeople have had to say in the pages of these forums. this thread is a great idea. I can think of no place it could be more at home.

ladyjanus
                              okay honestly Gay-bashers, don't like that word really and sometimes you would be surprised how they react on things. I must say I can tell one of my best friends was a gay-basher, and I was so afraid to tell her and all that but after a while I decided to tell her, and she really was nice and all. In the end they bash all they want, but friendship is sometimes stronger then things like that...but of course this isn't the general case. So don't say they are all the same...

A marriage is a union between a man and a woman, anything else isn't marriage.
                              And where is that stated???

I'm glad I live in a country where gay-marriage is allowed and where there's not too much gay-hatred or bashing going on.
                              I also live in a country that support gay-marriage (and I even think in the same of yours Belgium) and all I can say is that it all depends where you live... I mean I know my ex-girlfriend lived in a little villagecountry and honestly she was bashed very hard, they really weren't nice to her. I on the other hand live in a big city and I got some nice comments but also some bashing though, but that was mainly from friend.

Actually, to be quite honest I have always said to everyone who wanted to hear it that marriage wasn't my thing. Of course, the fact that all that was said a long time ago when same-sex marriage was still very much an issue here (my home country), I always knew I wasn't going to get married anyway.

But then the law was changed and suddenly gay couples were allowed to get married as well. If my girlfriend (whom I have yet to meet) would like to get married some day, then I think I would love to do so. At least, I would consider changing my mind about it. Also the issue of having children could change if the girlfriend would like to have kids. Adopt or of our own...
                              Wow, are you me?? I must say I always said I wasn't going to marry either. And now actually one day I migh marry my girlfriend...who knows... all depends of course. I know she wants to get married and have kids, so who knows...

don't mind them... i mean i can understand where most of them are coming from... gay culture just isn't something you see much in american tv unless it's blatant... and then it becomes tacky quick.... if we had a few better writers, things may be a little different, but let's just face it... mainstream America just isn't ready for it....
                              I wouldn't blame it on tv or the writers of it. They only think about their money and they know if thy include gay relationships they will get a lot of loss of money and in the end that is the only thing that counts to them.
                              Here in Belgium they are really including gay marriage and gay couples a lot in the tv shows, even that I think it is kind of a cool thing to include it. and I must it makes me go crazy, cause they just write in the cliché's a lot

It is just a word you know...marriage, union, together, in the end it stands for the same thing. you both tell each other you want to spend your life togeteher and you love each other...

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                                Nice idea for a thread but you can call me stupid now but what does GLBT and GSA stands for??
                                Sorry English isn't my native language and abrevations is hard to get I mean I tried though, but I would say G= gay L= Lesbian and B=bisexual but what is the T and S and A stands for??
                                GLBT= Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transexual.
                                GSA = Gay/Straight Alliance

Comment

Working...
                                X