This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
    I get aggravated with all the people who cry free speech to excuse their bad behavior. Free speech is a concept that deals mostly with public speech, not speech in a context like this forum. If the owner wants to restrict what people are allowed to say, he's perfectly entitled to. Even free speech in a public context is restricted, though. You still aren't allowed to do things like threaten people of commit libel or slander. You really don't have the right to say whatever you want whenever you want to.
    Short of the things you used as examples actually people do have the "right" to say what they want, when they want. They just need to be willing to take the consequences that will no doubt come if they do it in a very public way.

Otherwise there'd be laws against all those "evangelical" people I could hear when I was wondering around on campus when I was in college. I didn't want to hear them but because of "free speech" they had the right to try and get people to listen to them and believe in their version of "religion". Unfortunately so do folks like that "Baptist" church who's members are allowed to protest outside the funerals of military people, among other places they're allowed to protest. Never mind that they're slandering the military individuals and the military as a whole. They're not getting any kind of punishment. So I respectfully disagree with your claim that folks do not have the right to say what they want, when they want.

Yes, Darren or any forum owner does have the right to restrict what can and can't be said on the forums but placing too much restriction (like for example, no criticism of any show or character/actor allowed) will lead to the downfall of the forum. People like to discuss their shows and some of those people like to make constructive criticisms of the show or an actor's choice in how they portrayed their character. If people can't do that and can only praise the show, what's the point? How are people supposed to see the show/actor in a different light if no one is allowed to say "Hey you know in Show X's recent eps I didn't like how CharacterX was behaving. Was it the actor's choice to portray the character like that or were they told to do that by the director? Seeing CharacterX act like a total butthead to CharacterY - when we all know they really like each other as friends - was so very out of character I wonder what is going on." Then how can someone else respond with how and why they think that happened if you can't criticize the show? Supposedly people are only allowed to say "I really enjoyed the eps for this, that and the other reason" and not mention what they didn't like. Boring, imho to just praise a show/actor all the time. Neither will ever learn what's working and what's not if they only hear praise all the time.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

So from what I gather, the "No criticism" thing hasn't actually changed from the last time, but the no violence thing would effectively ban me from Gateworld forever. Good to know.

You guys know where to find me. And if you don't you probably know someone who does.
      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 16 April 2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

*Big Anti-Sulk*
        I realize it's been a very long time since I posted here, but I figured I 'd throw this out there since it's been about six years since I joined Gateworld and graduate school.

I have just successfully defended my thesis and received the necessary signatures to graduate this May! It's a shame that Gateworld has changed so much that a lot of the people I remember on here have started to leave.

Comment

Congrats! I know what a relief it was when I got mine done Altho it was really strange for a while not having THE THESIS hanging over my head...

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD View Post
            *Big Anti-Sulk*
            I realize it's been a very long time since I posted here, but I figured I 'd throw this out there since it's been about six years since I joined Gateworld and graduate school.

I have just successfully defended my thesis and received the necessary signatures to graduate this May! It's a shame that Gateworld has changed so much that a lot of the people I remember on here have started to leave.
            Congratulations.

People are leaving because the influx of new members is like the influx of AOL-ers into usenet; it's eternal September for GW.
            Signed,

Gregorius
            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

*steps in, looks around* Whoa.
              ...well, it's certainly been a LONG time since I stopped by here. ...does ShadowMaat still exist?
              I'm actually just mostly in shock that this thread still exists. I honestly came here thinking it might be kind of fun to necro-bump this thread from the depths of the past, and here I am shocked to find such an action completely unnecessary. 1640 pages, 32783 posts... 6 years. Crazy.

Originally posted by VirtualCLD View Post
              I have just successfully defended my thesis and received the necessary signatures to graduate this May!
              *high five* I'm right there with you. Senior thesis defense completed, leaving only 4 more days of classes, followed by 5 days of finals. Absolutely insane how fast the time flies.
              There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Congrats, VCLD!

And yeah, PJ, I still exist, sorta, but I've moved on from Gateworld. I only visit infrequently and with the moratorium on violence it kinda makes it hard to me to be myself anymore. I'm on Twitter and LJ and that's probably better for everyone anyway.

Comment

i seem to only pop in here when i want to seriously whine.

i'm sooooooooooooooooooooo bored!! i miss being excited (being 'able' to be) about stargate! i don't watch sgu. so there's that.

ugh, being bored is boring.

*goes to sulk, whine, and repeat*
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

semi-sulk: "Happy" Mother's Day
                    sigpic

Comment

Fly by posting! Here's a link to my writeup about my Dinner with NPH! You can all go ahead and die of envy right now. Post replies there (anon/non-users should be able to post) cuz I probably won't check here. YAAAY NPH!

Comment

Hello Everybody! I've been wrapped up in my other fandom for the last few months: eaglets!

I watch an Eagle Cam on almost a daily basis during the breeding season. The nest in at the Norfolk Botanical Garden, which is right next door to a major airport. The resident wild eagle pair had three chicks this year. When they were five weeks old, their mother was killed in an airplane strike. The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries decided to have them removed from the nest to be raised at the Wildlife Center of Virginia until they are old enough to be released back into the wild.

If you are on Facebook, I and my fellow eagleholics could really use your help, and you do not need to be American to participate. You only need to have a Facebook account.There's a program called Chase Community Giving, and it is responsible for donating millions of dollars to worthy nonprofit organizations. We are currently in the final voting stage for this program through Wednesday.

Both the Norfolk Botanical Garden Society and the Wildlife Center of Virginia are in the running to win up to $500,000. The amount they win depends on the number of votes they receive. Both are planning to use the money to increase their (free) presence on the web and develop educational programs about habitat and conservation. The Wildlife Center would also use the money to build better housing for the thousands of animals they treat there and to improve their surgical suite. They have treated over 56,000 wild animals, usually difficult cases that are referred to them because there are no other agencies that can match the level of care they provide. They also train wildlife veterinarians from across North America and the world.

If you have a Facebook account, please go to the Chase Community Giving page and like them. From there, you can vote for up to five different charities. Please vote for the Norfolk Botanical Garden Society and the Wildlife Center of Virginia. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
                        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Working...
                        X