Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well when you consider the amount of political and religious threads that get created in this folder. How could it not be.

Shadow, I know you are quite the cynical one but could you give those of us you know some credit and know we are not going to go off half cocked and start deleting posts everywhere willy nilly.
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Yeah, but what good does your knowing me do if "focus on the good stuff" is the main theme of the board? I always focus on the bad stuff! I'm cynical and snarky and a born pessimist! Hell, even my harping about the changes probably qualifies as a failure to "have your say and let it drop."

The whole purpose of this thread and the rage thread is about complaints and these are the threads where I spend a majority of my time, posting complaints, criticisms and other less-than-happy things. I trust you guys to know me and understand my posting style, but if my posting style- hell, my whole personality- is part of what's wrong with the forum then there isn't much you can do about it.

Comment

well, think about it.. most of the time this is just a discussion thread with some snark thrown in. Most times its funny, and just a great place to let off some steam. We do realize that snark, criticism versus being a mean, nasty or hostile are different things.

The only time I could ever say this will become an issue is if the people posting try to lightly veil their hostility and walk the edge of the rules. Before we allowed it to err on the side of the poster. Now we won't because we will be erring on the side of the Forum.

I don't think as much will change in this particular thread as you may feel. Because quite frankly, it is more about OUTSIDE of GW then inside of it. and all we can ask then is that you and anyone else apply a heavy layer of respect to any *negative* comments about what is being said in a thread or about the shows.

Edit: I added the words Healthy layers based on the snark posting style and not for any other reason
        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
          ...all we can ask then is that you and anyone else apply a heavy layer of respect to any *negative* comments about what is being said in a thread or about the shows.
          Are you sure that the curb on negativity ONLY affects the shows? Because the vibe I'm getting from Darren is that the ENTIRE FORUM should focus on good things. Focus on what you like about Stargate. Focus on what you like about other shows. Focus on what you like about whatever in OT.

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          To clarify: the new policy is being formed with the entire forum in mind. In some form, it will apply to folders for SG-1, SGA, Sanctuary, Farscape, Off-Topic, and C&R ... eventually. What we are doing is planning to implement it gradually -- starting now-ish with SGU, in a few weeks with SG-1, and in a few months with SGA. We want everyone (including the mods) to have time to get used to the idea.
          That says to me that OT will be expected to toe the Happiness Line, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            Are you sure that the curb on negativity ONLY affects the shows? Because the vibe I'm getting from Darren is that the ENTIRE FORUM should focus on good things. Focus on what you like about Stargate. Focus on what you like about other shows. Focus on what you like about whatever in OT.

That says to me that OT will be expected to toe the Happiness Line, too.
            well I am going to say that in my opinion, Darren is talking about the main body of the forum when he is referring to the shows and how folks are posting regarding that. This is how we have understood it as well.

As for the *Whole Forum* thingy, I think you are making it more then it is to some degree. If you want to make post after post after post on your disgust with the shows, then the time may come when someone says...ok we get your point. But knowing you normally do explain yourself I am not thinking this will happen. If you write posts that are basically insulting another member just because you feel they are not intelligent enough to get your point. Well then yes we are going to curtail that.

In Off Topic.....
            Yes, we want you to be decent, yes we want you to be respectful, and yes we want you to not sit here and piss and moan daily about other members and what they post. That is basically disrespectful anyway.

Do we expect that every person is going to be sunshine and roses every day of the week, No.
            Do we expect folks to try to not word their posts in such a way that they are being vile and nasty but...they played with the words enough to get past the rules before, Yes.
            We expect folks to at least *try* to post in manner that is not hostile and aggressive just because they are angry. We would rather they walk away from the keyboard a bit and take a break, cool down.

Do we expect this to cover if you want to complain about your boss...No
            your job..No, your life in general...No

we only expect your post to be decent and respectful overall to our rules regarding language and respect for real people. So saying I hate my job! It sucks! would not require further explanation unless you want to share it.

Posting My boss is a *beep..beep...beep* will get you modded because we do have the same rules we always have had.

Comment

And now for something completely different...

This is hilarious. Gingerbread Stargate SG-1
              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
              May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Too funny.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

If you guys need a good laugh- especially in lieu of the whole Vision Statement debacle- I suggest grabbing a bowl of popcorn (or gingerbread stargate) and reading through the RTD Disses Stargate thread. Truly, some hilarious stuff. Very ironic. Although the promotion of this whole RTD thing as a newsworthy item is, itself, incredibly ironic and, IMO, fairly counterproductive. I'd even go so far as to say that it practically invites the types of reactions Darren is trying to limit.

Too, too funny.

*nibbles gingerbread*

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    If you guys need a good laugh- especially in lieu of the whole Vision Statement debacle- I suggest grabbing a bowl of popcorn (or gingerbread stargate) and reading through the RTD Disses Stargate thread. Truly, some hilarious stuff. Very ironic. Although the promotion of this whole RTD thing as a newsworthy item is, itself, incredibly ironic and, IMO, fairly counterproductive. I'd even go so far as to say that it practically invites the types of reactions Darren is trying to limit.

Too, too funny.

*nibbles gingerbread*
                    Yeah, how did that end up news? It's almost like, "Look, a BLASPHEMER!"

Then again, nothing forms group cohesion like a "them" for "us" to band against. Just ask any religion, the more organized, the better.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Careful, Ukky. Thou Shalt Not Speak Ill Of Gateworld Or Question Its Motives. That would be an offence unto Nuggan.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                          Fear the combined cynicism of Shadow and myself.
                          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I have to chuckle about the discussion on the Vision thread. Everyone seems to still debate the 'what will happen to this thread' issues. Which is fine, I guess. But when someone posts about the wording of the Vision Statement, nothing, not a word is said.

I had made two posts yesterday about the wording of the Vision statement and not a peep from anyone. I gues no one had an issue with my statement:
                            “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”
                            or this rewrite of one of the supporting principles:
                            When you express an opinion, don’t dwell on it. Be it a like or a dislike, you need to be respectful to others who may not agree with you. Don’t obsess with your opinion. When you express them, and how you express them, defines how others on the forum see you.

No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

I gave up trying to make the Vision Statement less hostile to the antis, DJF. It seems clear to me that they ARE the primary target as they were singled out in BOTH versions as the ones being in need of reform and control. So why bother trying to reword things to pin the blame on BOTH sides when it's only the one side that matters?

Comment

Oh, I'm just suprised that some of the more vocal posters haven't jumped all over the "say something nice" quote. I totally expected someone to say something, but nothing, nada. It suprised me.
                                No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X