No announcement yet.

BBC's Sherlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're probably right. I confess I can remember very little about the Jeremy Brett take too, but that's probably a sign that I wasn't enthralled. I did see an am-dram production of it a few years back (Oh, how very am the dram was, aside from the two leads) that was quite atmospheric, but by and large I've not found anything that's as chilling as the book - not bad for a plot straight out of Scooby Doo. It will be very interesting to see how it can be updated to a modern setting.
    "When I need your advice Terri, I'll give the secret signal. Which is me being sectioned under the Mental Health Act"

Comment

I just watched the first episode of the second season and it is awesome! I loved it!
      sigpic

Comment

So what did people think of the latest episode, The Hounds of Baskerville?
        Odd bit of drama. Felt more like a rather dragged out episode of Fringe. The ending was also very Fringe-like.

Cumberbatch gave a wonderfully multifaceted performance as did Martin Freeman. Those two guys can do no wrong, it seems, whatever they're given.

Must watch it again. I may revise my opinion on this.
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

While it's still better than 99% of the rubbish clogging up every television channel, I can't help but feel that Sherlock is waning already - last night's episode just felt silly and predictable (and I should stress I've only read one of the proper Holmes stories, The Speckled Band). Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are nevertheless superb in their roles, but other than that there is no longer all that much to keep me watching.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Even though I know the Major was referring to Abbot and Costello, I couldn't help but think of Abbot and Costello

Comment

It was a good episode of telly, but not so much a great episode of Sherlock. I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as Sherlock saw the hound I knew pretty much what was happening. I don't know if that's weak writing, or that we've just been trained to think as sci-fi writers do, and it was a very sci-fi episode. I'm glad they used the 'call phone' line in the story too, as soon as I heard that I was thinking about criticising it!

ps. At the beginning when we Russell Tovey in the woods did anyone else think 'Werewolf!'?!

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                ps. At the beginning when we Russell Tovey in the woods did anyone else think 'Werewolf!'?!
                I did think the poor guy is getting type cast with all things canine
                If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                sigpic

Comment

It was a good episode of telly, but not so much a great episode of Sherlock.
                  My thoughts exactly. It was definitely the weakest episode so far, though I did still enjoy it.
                  "When I need your advice Terri, I'll give the secret signal. Which is me being sectioned under the Mental Health Act"

Comment

Still better than most stuff on tv, but was very predictable, I picked up on the drug pretty early and as soon as the science guy stepped in to save Sherlock, my first question was what is he hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      While it's still better than 99% of the rubbish clogging up every television channel, I can't help but feel that Sherlock is waning already - last night's episode just felt silly and predictable (and I should stress I've only read one of the proper Holmes stories, The Speckled Band). Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are nevertheless superb in their roles, but other than that there is no longer all that much to keep me watching.
                      Predictability is not always a problem with me if the show moves. But Hounds seemed to drag for me. However, it did improve on second viewing.
                      I don't think modern, narrative savvy audiences will find canon Holmes all that complex as most of the tropes have been used in other stories since. "The Speckled Band" is one of my favourites even though the story is fairly straightforward.

It was a good episode of telly, but not so much a great episode of Sherlock. I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as Sherlock saw the hound I knew pretty much what was happening. I don't know if that's weak writing, or that we've just been trained to think as sci-fi writers do, and it was a very sci-fi episode. I'm glad they used the 'call phone' line in the story too, as soon as I heard that I was thinking about criticising it!
                      Because this is Sherlock Holmes, I didn't really expect any paranormal, supernatural creepiness. The original story despite suggesting supernatural elements wasn't really about the paranormal and in the end it was more a Scooby-Doo kind of reveal.
                      On a certain level, Gatiss had to take the sci-fi route because SH at his core is a scientist and prides himself on being rational. If we were going to get a gigantic, glowy hound in the 21st century, there would have to be a sci-fiish explaination.
                      My main problem was that it tried to be a horror-science fiction-detective episode and in the end, it didn't draw on those generic elements with any great effect. I wasn't that scared, the scifi stuff was by and by plus the detective stuff also took a back seat. Fringe does all that so much better. For instance, Sherlock was making deductions about a man and his mother who had nothing to do with the case. C'mon... really.

Originally posted by Samia View Post
                      My thoughts exactly. It was definitely the weakest episode so far, though I did still enjoy it.
                      I enjoyed it more after the second viewing. But it didn't have the same level of cleverness as previous episodes.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

in the end it was more a Scooby-Doo kind of reveal.
                        I was expecting "and I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids". After all, that's what Watson and Sherlock are in this series, which is great.

Comment

I enjoyed both episodes

Comment

Finally I found this thread!!!! I was just searching on the wrong places

I only got to see the 3 episodes of the first season during the last two weeks, the first episode of season 2 last weekend, and the second one yesterday and I.JUST.LOVE.THEM For me THIS Sherlock is the best so far.

And I really enjoyed the last episode - "go now, I need to search the palace of my mind" Love the dialogues. And there is a great chemistry between Sherlock and Watson. I am practically new to both actors and I must say, I am positively surprised about both of them.

I am so looking forward to the next episode
                            Grimm returns October 24
                            sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                            Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Gah, Ive seen this programme advertised on TV, but only just started watching it because I caught the very end of the last episode in series 1, and was curious as to how they got out.
                              I now wish Id watched it from the beginning...
                              Watching Season 2 episode 1 now, anyone know where I would be able to find series 1? Im guessing someone on youtube has them...

Comment

I have tried to watch the first few minutes of episode one. But I can't go any further..
                                I suppose I never percieved Sherlock and Watson to be like the BBC version. To me (this is my opinion entirely)..

Spoiler:
                                It felt like children overacting

I may seem harsh.. but I cant really connect with the BBC's version as I do with the movies' version.

Thats just me. And my opinion may change.. but for now.. *walks away*
                                Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                                - Doctor Who (series 7)
                                - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                                - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                                - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                                - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Working...
                                X