BBC's Sherlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
    But we also don't have mid-season hiatuses etc in the UK schedule, or pre-emptions for sporting events etc. Once a show starts, it generally runs through the season, one episode a week, until they've all been shown. US TV schedules can be crazy... Stargate isn't too badly affected but shows like House used to drive me mad.... I can clearly remember one season where for most of the season the show was never on for more than two weeks in a row! Fox managed to stretch a 22 episode season from September through to May!!!
    Unfortunately it used to be like that, but now it seems if the US decides to have a hiatus, the UK gets screwed over by it too. Most of the time it's not an issue, but Sky One did it with SGU, House, NCIS LA and I think Bones. There is no reason for it, but still the UK gets a delay because the US gets a delay (and I'd bet it's because they don't want US viewers watching UK downloads).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      Unfortunately it used to be like that, but now it seems if the US decides to have a hiatus, the UK gets screwed over by it too. Most of the time it's not an issue, but Sky One did it with SGU, House, NCIS LA and I think Bones. There is no reason for it, but still the UK gets a delay because the US gets a delay (and I'd bet it's because they don't want US viewers watching UK downloads).
      As far as I am aware, that only happens now because Sky starts showing some US shows - such as House, SGU, Lost etc - on or just behind the US schedule. It's understandable that the US channels who fund these shows don't want episodes premiering abroad. I guess for UK viewers it's a trade-off - either we get the shows months behind the US... or we get them on the US schedule and have to put up with the hiatuses/pre-emptions etc.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
        As far as I am aware, that only happens now because Sky starts showing some US shows - such as House, SGU, Lost etc - on or just behind the US schedule. It's understandable that the US channels who fund these shows don't want episodes premiering abroad. I guess for UK viewers it's a trade-off - either we get the shows months behind the US... or we get them on the US schedule and have to put up with the hiatuses/pre-emptions etc.
        In the past it hadn't been an issue. Yes we'd get a later start date, but ultimately it at times forced the US into airing episodes at a normal rate (by the US standards) unless it was a bad network (namely SyFy) because the UK could catch up very quickly. I remember more than a times that a show in the UK didn't get such bad showing as it's US broadcasts and ultimately ended a week after the US or even before.

The UK doesn't celebrate thanksgiving, so when the US skips an episode one week we get the chance to catch up. I've also noticed that the US may end a show earlier in December and start it again later in January (if not February or sometimes March) and with the run up to May Sweeps, can skip an entire month just to make it last longer. It really does come down to the US network and the show, but I believe the UK shouldn't be forced into screwing up our airdates simply because they want May to get the best ratings or for them to get the episode first. The UK should be used as an example for the US networks to broadcast it properly.

It's also the same in reverse, with UK shows being aired in the US. I would hate for a show like Sherlock to go from 3 double length episodes into 6 standard episodes because it allows the US to stretch it out for ratings or profit or for them to delay each part for a few weeks/months like it's the Doctor Who specials.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah! I watched Sherlock. I thought that they were very good. I used to like watching Sherlock Holmes when I was younger. Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone were the ones I watched.
          C.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire View Post
            Yeah! I watched Sherlock. I thought that they were very good. I used to like watching Sherlock Holmes when I was younger. Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone were the ones I watched.
            One of the reasons I am so fussy about my Holmes adaptations is because of my huge love for Jeremy Brett as Holmes. He absolutely defined and inhabited the role and to me still remains the definitive Holmes.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm the same. For me Jeremy Brett is/was Sherlock Holmes. I watched this new version with some trepidation. But I have to say I was very impressed.

Comment

Sherlock has been recommissioned for a second series, it has been formally announced.

BBC One controller Jay Hunt confirmed today that the modern-day drama adaptation, which wowed viewers and critics, will return for three more 90-minute stories in autumn 2011.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/...n-in-2011.html

Comment

Has anyone seen the unaired pilot included with the DVDs yet? The DVD box set was released today.

sigpic

Comment

Soo....any plan for a US airing?

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      Soo....any plan for a US airing?
                      Yeah, but not until October.

Sherlock Holmes stalks again in a thrilling contemporary version of Arthur Conan Doyle's classic, starring Benedict Cumberbatch (Atonement, The Last Enemy) as the go-to consulting detective in 21st century London, with Martin Freeman (The Office UK, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) as his loyal friend, Dr. John Watson, and Rupert Graves (God on Trial, The Forsyte Saga) as the long suffering Inspector Lestrade. Fast-paced, funny, and surreally true to the hero's fantastic gifts for deduction, the series is co-created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss (Doctor Who). Sherlock premieres with A Study in Pink (October 24), followed by The Blind Banker (October 31) and The Great Game (November 7).
                      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/index.html

sigpic

Comment

Glad to see the good reviews! It's coming to Canada on Showcase which I happen to get, so I'm a happy camper! Starts Friday September 10th at 10pm EST. Can't Wait!
                        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

When is it supposed to start up again? Sorry, but hate the long waits. BBC should just start branching off to different genre based stations. BBC Drama, BBC sci-fi, BBC Crime noir

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                            When is it supposed to start up again? Sorry, but hate the long waits. BBC should just start branching off to different genre based stations. BBC Drama, BBC sci-fi, BBC Crime noir
                            Not till autumn (I think October?) 2011, I believe... and it will again be only 3 episodes. I was really hoping for a longer 2nd series!!
                            sigpic

Comment

I can't believe how badly they ripped off the Doctor character for this guy, they're virtually the same person

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                                I can't believe how badly they ripped off the Doctor character for this guy, they're virtually the same person
                                Considering that the character of Sherlock Holmes predates Doctor Who by several decades, if there were comparisons to be made, it would be Doctor Who ripping off Sherlock Holmes, wouldn't it?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X