This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    Carter was built up from day one has having 'the substance'...
    What about the non-Carter women, whom weren't TPTB's favorite?
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Cherriey View Post
      Perhaps (this is just me randomly speculating mind) one of the reasons for casting so many males in lead roles is that they can draw more female viewers with these 'heart throb' leads. Of course I could be way off.
      Hehe, that's a cute speculation and it probably does have some truth to it. But it is kind of over rated, IMO. I think viewer these days wants a strong storyline and strong characters (not literally strong that is.)

For me at least, I can careless if a male/female character is hot or not. I usually look at how they represent the role and how they play it out. Brilliant characters are easy to spot and you glue to them just like that. I've seen characters that are suppositely "hot" but with horrible acting, snapped, just like that. What I meant by snapped was that they did not appeal to me, period. I didn't care if they had pretty face :O yup

I mean, you're a female yourself, do you like having male character for that reason? Or it's just purely speculation? Wouldn't you want to see more female characters that you can relate to or be inspired by?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        What do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
          What do you mean?
          I mean that Carter is a favorite for TPTB's while other female characters have not been that lucky. It's well known that characters they favor have a better chance of getting "developed".

Comment

I always thought that Frasier was very well developed. Not only as a strong woman, but a strong character. She took no crap. Overruled senior officers. Went into the field. I'd say she was spot on.

Yes Vala was very sex based but I don't like Vala after S8... but then the entire Vaniel relationship was based on innuendo.

I don't think Weir was every sex based either - or billed as sex appeal. I didn't personally like the SGA Weir (preferred SG1 orignal Weir) but still.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The women characters on the shows I enjoy always seem to be so larger than life that if they were given full on lead rolls everything else (story and whatnot included) would fade into the background.

That's my optimistic opinion. =0)

Comment

I always thought that Frasier was very well developed. Not only as a strong woman, but a strong character. She took no crap. Overruled senior officers. Went into the field. I'd say she was spot on.
                SG1

Fraiser was my favorite character.... and died (which they almost always do)

I don't think Weir was every sex based either - or billed as sex appeal. I didn't personally like the SGA Weir (preferred SG1 orignal Weir) but still.
                I think that's what got her killed or made her disappear because in the demograph they aimed at she didn't appeal.

I can't picture Steen as Weir anymore, I always see Agent Cassidy from NCIS.

Comment

SG1

Fraiser was my favorite character.... and died (which they almost always do)

I think that's what got her killed or made her disappear because in the demograph they aimed at she didn't appeal.

Nothing wrong with a character dying imo - but that's a different debate.

But what about the fact that Weir was replaced by an arguably even stronger women who also wasn't based around sex appeal?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes Vala was very sex based but I don't like Vala after S8... but then the entire Vaniel relationship was based on innuendo.

Oh yeah, Fraser was awesome! then they killed her off..WTH? She kicks ass... Like you said, under one authority, and one authority only, her medical practice, lol. I love when she shut the senior officers up with her 'medical come first' talk. She was another strong character that I did want to see developed.

As for Vala... Hmm I thought she was an interesting character at first, carefree, selfish, crazy, but has some reservation from within.. I didn't particularly care for her character for some reason.. Can't quite point my finger to it yet.

Why didn't you like Weir? Care to elaborate? I'm curious, truly. I thought she was brilliant. And I also would like to add that she wasn't given enough opportunity to begin with but even for that reason, she still stood out so well.

There was this one interview where she talked about how a character develops their personality truly based on how they say a line or act a line. I'm not an actress but I thought what she said made so much sense.

Now tell me why you didn't like Weir in SGA?

Oh and how can you say you preferred Jessica Steen over Torri when we have only saw a glimpse of her?
                    Last edited by Spirit; 15 May 2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                      Oh yeah, Fraser was awesome! then they killed her off..WTH? She kicks ass... Like you said, under one authority, and one authority only, her medical practice, lol. I love when she shut the senior officers up with her 'medical come first' talk. She was another strong character that I did want to see developed.

As for Vala... Hmm I thought she was an interesting character at first, carefree, selfish, crazy, but has some reservation from within.. I didn't particularly care for her character for some reason.. Can't quite point my finger to it yet.

Why didn't you like Weir? Care to elaborate? I'm curious, truly. I thought she was brilliant. And I also would like to add that she wasn't given enough character either but even for that reason, she still stood out so well.

There was this one interview where she talked about how a character develops their personality truly based on how they say a line or act a line. I'm not an actress but I thought what she said made so much sense.

Now tell me why you didn't like Weir in SGA?
                      I'll be frank - I don't know why I didn't like SGA Weir.

I'm honestly not trying to insult the actress, but it could be that I didn't like her specifically. I can understand that some like her... and I'm sure she IS a talented actress, but you know...

Btw - harking back to the SF/SOF discussion, the UK's Special Reconnaissance Regiment, a special forces unit, is one of the few SF units that recruit both males and females. Thought people may be interested. Despite the fact that the majority of SF/SOF are still male dominated/

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cherriey View Post
                        The women characters on the shows I enjoy always seem to be so larger than life that if they were given full on lead rolls everything else (story and whatnot included) would fade into the background.

That's my optimistic opinion. =0)
                        What??? You silly silly Cherriey... lol This is the exact reason why there SHOULD be more female 'lead' character roles. You'd love it so much (for whatever reason) that you think you live the character!. And that itself helps promote the show, just for having that character in it! And it also helps promote the character that you like. Don't you think? Wouldn't that be even more optimistic? No? Yes? Maybe?

Comment

SG1Fraiser was my favorite character.... and died (which they almost always do)
                          HAHA that's funny because that's what I just said. THEY KILLED HER! Why? But then she wasn't even in the main cast

HAHAHA this is truly hilarious... I didn't thought about that. Good one.

Me either.. I didn't notice the switch at first until later on..end of season 1? I was like.. "WAIT A MIN.. wasn't there another Dr. Weir in SG1? Wasn't she...ah..blonde? what happened?"

I can't say I don't like Steen because I haven't really seen her as Weir !_! But I'm so used to Torri that I can't see Steen as Weir. So I agree!

Comment

I meant that it's the faith of my favorite characters. I'm cursed like that.

But what about the fact that Weir was replaced by an arguably even stronger women who also wasn't based around sex appeal?
                            But a favorite of TPTB.

Comment

Okay to be fair, Sam was like the experimental "female cast member" on SG1. And since SG1 was the very first show, IMO, she really grabs the heart of a lot of the female audiences (assuming that most of them are female, correct me if I'm wrong.) She may not be 'sex appeal' but again, IMO, I think they put Sam in to create diversity and somehow it turned out great.

The only reason, IMO , they put Sam to replace Weir was, 1. Sam was probably the "producer's" favorite or 2. she has a big fan base from being in SG1 for the last 10 years!

Just something for you to think about

Comment

I meant that it's the faith of my favorite characters. I'm cursed like that.

But a favorite of TPTB.
                                True - but I still don't think its fair to say that ANY of the characters sans Vala have ever been used for sex appeal. Even Teyla.

Guest characters maybe - but then I'm sure a lot of male guest characters have too.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X