Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always find it disappointing that a pregnant actress usually means a storyline all about the pregnancy. Can't a woman just happen to be pregnant while she goes about her daily life? Teyla hinted that this is normal for Athosians.

I love the movie Fargo because we have a pregnant police chief, but that's not at all what the movie is about. She just happens to be pregnant while solving the case; her whole existence isn't defined by her pregnancy.

It's bad enough when the writers try to handle things with tact, but with the SGA writers who really expects that? So, instead, we get an accidental pregnancy (because Teyla would be irresponsible that way ), a lot of sitting around worrying about 'my people' and 'the father of my child' (because pregnant women are all emotional and passive), Teyla being kidnapped because of her magic child (to get her out of the way and enforce the helpless aspect) and finally a happy reunion with the man she never once said she loved (but all women must stay with the father of their child whether or not they ever intended a lasting relationship beforehand) and all kinds of doubts about going back to work (because all good mothers stay home with the baby).

It's just lovely when a bunch of ill-informed guys try to write about women and pregnancy
    Last edited by Cautious Explorer; 30 June 2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
      I always find it disappointing that a pregnant actress usually means a storyline all about the pregnancy. Can't a woman just happen to be pregnant while she goes about her daily life? Teyla hinted that this is normal for Athosians.

I love the movie Fargo because we have a pregnant police chief, but that's not at all that the movie is about. She just happens to be pregnant while solving the case; her whole existence isn't defined by her pregnancy.

It's bad enough when the writers try to handle things with tact, but with the SGA writers who really expects that? So, instead, we get an accidental pregnancy (because Teyla would be irresponsible that way ), a lot of sitting around worrying about 'my people' and 'the father of my child' (because pregnant women are all emotional and passive), Teyla being kidnapped because of her magic child (to get her out of the way and enforce the helpless aspect) and finally a happy reunion with the man she never once said she loved (but all women must stay with the father of their child whether or not they ever intended a lasting relationship beforehand) and all kinds of doubts about going back to work (because all good mothers stay home with the baby).

It's just lovely when a bunch of ill-informed guys try to write about women and pregnancy
      And the best of it is though is that she's Athosian but they still feel the need to base it on the way they think we do things on earth
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
        i dont know why the writers feel the need to impose our earth cultures on those from other planets... thats the beauty of sci fi these other cultures can react to situations in completely different ways to us...
        Speaking from an anthropological and historical perspective, it's the idea that Western/European culture is "right" and people who aren't like us are "wrong" and/or "primitive, savage, backwards" etc. (Ever hear of the white man's burden?)

You see it throughout history and, unfortunately, you see it throughout Stargate. How often does a team go to a planet, see what the culture is like, decide it's not right, and try to change it? Rather often, I'd say. And I'm always thinking, rather indignantly, what gives them the right to judge, to turn these people's lives and ways upside down, and then just skip merrily back through the Stargate?

Umm... nothing. Except the perception that they are "superior."

It irks me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post

I love the movie Fargo because we have a pregnant police chief, but that's not at all what the movie is about. She just happens to be pregnant while solving the case; her whole existence isn't defined by her pregnancy.

well said...

in midway when telya got back from her meeting with the IOA her, sam and sheappard even discussed how coolidge will be surprised when she goes back to work after having the baby... and yet all of a sudden teyla is all worried about returning to the team, in typical earth style...

rachels pregnancy was the perfect opportunity to have a character not defined by being pregnant... with teyla being athosian they could have just written teyla as usual and she just happened to be pregnant in the course of it...

Originally posted by sbz View Post
          Speaking from an anthropological and historical perspective, it's the idea that Western/European culture is "right" and people who aren't like us are "wrong" and/or "primitive, savage, backwards" etc. (Ever hear of the white man's burden?)

You see it throughout history and, unfortunately, you see it throughout Stargate. How often does a team go to a planet, see what the culture is like, decide it's not right, and try to change it? Rather often, I'd say. And I'm always thinking, rather indignantly, what gives them the right to judge, to turn these people's lives and ways upside down, and then just skip merrily back through the Stargate?

Umm... nothing. Except the perception that they are "superior."

It irks me.
          i know, and what a horrible way to explore the world, with a superiority complex... there are certain things that all people should be afforded, such as the right to feel safe and loved, food, shelter, clothes, education... but who are we to say that because they approach things differently that makes them wrong... white mans burden goes hand in hand with 'gold, gospel, glory,' because apparently it was the white mans right to conquere and spread their beliefs...

thats why i liked the concept of the prime directive in star trek... do not interfere in other cultures... if they ask for asylum thats one thing, but dont impose your beliefs on those you meet...
          "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Just re-found this thread. For those of you who watch SGU (I don't care for it) how do you think it deals with representing women?

Comment

Working...
            X