General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Because I see it as a distraction. It doesn't add to the show for me, it takes away from it. Every time there's a shippy moment, for me, it drags the entire show to a screeching halt just to throw a spotlight on Sam and Jack and their "feelings" for each other. IMO, it makes everything out of joint for a moment (or more, depending on the scene) and, as always, it seems incredibly stupid and unrealistic whenever TPTB try to imply that Sam and Jack are more than just friends and co-workers... or that they at least WANT to be more. It's like having a mime go tap-dancing across the screen whenever it happens.
    Do you have the same feelings about 'ships' with other tv shows? Because it seems like from many posts you have written/typed you dislike the general idea of 'relationship'.
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
      Do you have the same feelings about 'ships' with other tv shows? Because it seems like from many posts you have written/typed you dislike the general idea of 'relationship'.
      It depends. I'm an avid fan of Luke/Lorelai ship on Gilmore Girls because they "work" as a couple for me- I see them as having a lot in common, I see sparkage between them, I love both characters and I think that it's fun to watch the two of them together and imagine them hitting it off... in their own mismanaged and awkward sorta ways. But then, the mentality of GG is completely different from that of Stargate. I feel that that show is more character oriented and thus lends itself to more speculation about ships in general and that ship in particular.

For me Stargate is, as I've said a hundred times before, about the PLOT. It's about the action, the stories, furthering the over-all adventure... the characters, while nice, are just a means to tell the STORY. That's why I don't like to see ship because, to me, it takes away from the STORY.

Comment

I mentioned Upgrades because their feelings for each other was the reason why the machine, or the Zotar Detecter, detected them as Zotars, or something like that.
        Yeah, like I said, it took another episode (D&C) to say, "oh, btw, we had an episode, wrote it, filmed it, showed it, but we want ship and even though if we really want to we could just make this one episode shippy, ohhhh no! That's not good enough, we have to act like it was in an episode that was already shown."

If they wanted to throw in the Zotar thing (insert insulting adjecive) why not create a situation in that episode? (although you know personally, I'd be happy -I mean cartwheel type - if they had never done it, but that's just me) Why try mucking up an episode that was done?
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

not addressed to me, but I'll take a whack at it. On show ships I have no problem with included Farscape and X-Files. (I know, I know! X-Files?!!) First, Farscape had chemistry between the two actors, and being an ensemble show, I never felt that they took away from the other characters or the relationships with all of them. I could see that Crichton and Aeryn loved each other, but they also cared about D'Argo, Pilot, Chiana, etc. And, it wasn't because way back in season 1, they showed that they cared, and I was supposed to just take it for granted that they still did, even with no continuing evidence. It was still there, as much as before. As for X-Files, I also thought Mulder and Scully has a lot of chemistry. And, they didn't have an ensemble, so it was a lot easier because they didn't have to worry about any other characters being left out or shoved to the side. Of course, I mean pre- Dogget and Reyes episodes.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
            ...First, Farscape had chemistry between the two actors.
            That's really what matters most, isn't it? CHEMISTRY. As far as I'm concerned, Sam and Jack have all the romantic chemistry of a couple of pet rocks.

Comment

Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. If you see it you see it, if you don't then you don't. I think that they have great chemistry. But I'm a romantic. I like romance in my t.v. shows. Especially star-crossed lover type romances. I like balance though too. Especially in an ensemble show. Since the show is Stargate SG-1 then I think the romance should be a sidebar. I like the subtle UST and the sideways looks but 9 times out of 10 when a show gives in and gives us a full-fledged romance they tend to muck it up so I'm quite content to wait until the very end.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                It depends. I'm an avid fan of Luke/Lorelai ship on Gilmore Girls because they "work" as a couple for me-
                The thing that really makes me annoyed is that it took them 3-4 years just to make them 'be together', or are they not together yet? (I've only seen preview of episodes)

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                  Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. If you see it you see it, if you don't then you don't. I think that they have great chemistry. But I'm a romantic. I like romance in my t.v. shows. Especially star-crossed lover type romances. I like balance though too. Especially in an ensemble show. Since the show is Stargate SG-1 then I think the romance should be a sidebar. I like the subtle UST and the sideways looks but 9 times out of 10 when a show gives in and gives us a full-fledged romance they tend to muck it up so I'm quite content to wait until the very end.
                  I totally agree, if you don't see it, then you don't see it, and if you do, then you do. I don't want to comment on your whole post, because i agree with most of it, hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowmaat
                    It's like having a mime go tap-dancing across the screen whenever it happens
                    eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww *shivers*

Comment

as far as i know, upgrades and divide and conquer were always supposed to go together. the scripts were given to the same director at the same time as far as i'm aware. and martin wood directed upgrades with a lot of consideration to divide and conquer and vice versa. so it wasn't like, hey ya know we could possibly use this thing here to whack people over the head with ship! if i'm wrong correct me though

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                        I think that they have great chemistry. But I'm a romantic. I like romance in my t.v. shows.
                        These things don't automatically go together. I like romance in some tv shows, where I feel it's appropriate. I think Daniel had great chemistry with Sha're. I think Sam has great chemistry with Pete. I don't think Jack and Sam have any chemistry whatsoever.

Comment

Some people think that they do, but yes, i think some shows have actors in them that have no chemistry at all, which makes the show bad, but at least in Stargate all the actors have great chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                            as far as i know, upgrades and divide and conquer were always supposed to go together. the scripts were given to the same director at the same time as far as i'm aware. and martin wood directed upgrades with a lot of consideration to divide and conquer and vice versa. so it wasn't like, hey ya know we could possibly use this thing here to whack people over the head with ship! if i'm wrong correct me though
                            IIRC they said as much on the DVD commentary for D&C that they film the "missing" scenes at the same time as Upgrades.
                            ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                            The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

i believe that the cast of stargate could have great chemistry with a rock. i just think that it's the type of chemistry that seems to be open for interpretation. i know this isn't going to be a popular opinion with some of us. i'm sorry, but thats just how i feel about it... what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                i believe that the cast of stargate could have great chemistry with a rock. i just think that it's the type of chemistry thats open for interpretation. i know this isn't going to be a popular opinion with some of us. i'm sorry, but thats just how i feel about it... what do you think?
                                I agree. The cast does have good chemistry, and they're great at interacting with "outside" characters or guests or whatever. But as you said, there are all kinds of chemistry and for me, Sam and Jack have NO romantic chemistry. None. Not a drop. I've seen more realistic UST in Voltron reruns.

Comment

Working...
                                X