This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    You have a gay thread, yet you don't allow people to bring up the morallity issues? Sounds like censorship to me!
    Dont forget about bisexual. LOL

Comment

You have a gay thread, yet you don't allow people to bring up the morallity issues? Sounds like censorship to me!
      Nononono! Censorship is where someone stops you from saying what you want to say. No one's doing that, are they? I mean, as long as you say it in the right place, you live in a country with constitutional free speech, so even if I knew how to hack your website and shut you up, I couldn't.

If you want to discuss the morality as far as it is actually relevant to atlantis ( - for instance, why should religious morality impact on a secular show?) then please do. But if you get on a "why the bible says it's wrong to have gay sex" hobby horse, then in will charge the "not in my bible it doesn't" horse and the "God isn't real so why follow the bible?" horse, along with a whole herd of zebras too. Trust me, I've seen it before

You think it's wrong to do gay, we all get that. We get why too: it's against your religious beliefs. You want to tell us why these religious beliefs which programme-makers may not share should be paramount, go ahead. You want to tell us where your religious beliefs come from in the first place, this isn't the place. I'll be editing posts which are off topic. (And if you want to learn the difference between editing and censorship, go post identical posts in the "Pro-s4" and "Anti-s4" threads, and wait for one to get edited )

If you want to discuss this further, find an appropriate thread or take it to PM. This is not the MetaMod thread

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
        No.

Not for any bad reasons - but because Stargate has never been about 'relationships' and introducing a character only for their sexual preference means that it would require a great deal of alluding to - and Stargate is and never was about 'Relationships'.

It was a huge mistake they made with the Pete Shanahan storyline, that one Hopes they dont repeat.
        I agree; very well said.

Furthermore why should there be a 'gay' character? I dunno, why not have a character who is really ugly, someone who has 6 fingers, someone who has excema, diabetes, someone who stutters, etc. I don't get wanting to have a gay character on the show. To what end?

Comment

Well, with all due respect to people with excema, diabetes, and those who stutters; those are all disabilities (well, maybe not excema) that will affect a person's work when dealing with stuff in the Pegasus galaxy, like very delicate Ancient artifacts, or stuff like that.

Being gay is not a disability. You wouldn't be able to tell anyway, unless it was stereotypically obvious.

Comment

Let's be honest. We're creatures of a sexual nature. That's who and what we are. We're all of a persuasion whether we freely admit it or not. Everyone one who has posted here or read these post, is of a persuasion. For some one to say that one can make a decision but keep it politically correct is impossible.

I for one don't like the idea of homosexuality, yes its spiritually based and no I'm not judging. Its simply who I am. I don't want to see homosexual characters because it will change the way I feel about the show which will result in me not watching it. I think the problem with many here and every where is accepting who and what you are. Maybe its because I try to see a bit of myself in each of these characters. If you're fine with the fact that homosexuals should be allowed to surface on the show then that's your right. That's your persuasion.

The problem with said topics is that we're all strong minded people. After all we're fan's of Star Gate, not only that, we would dare any one to challenge our dedication to the love of our show.

We must agree to disagree, one side may say that the bible also talks about a great many things, another side something different. Still, sex is sex. And will always carry a stigma attached to it.

Must of us if not all of us is self conscious about the natural copulation of man and woman. So anything else would be considered unnatural, which is fine really, after all: How many of us would openly admit to masturbation. Sex is dirty, at least in our minds. If any of these beloved characters shot a scene where they were doing the nasty not only would I blush but I think I would feel dirty about watching the show. Perhaps its me. Perhaps its the bible. Perhaps admitting that Samantha and O'Neil had a sexual relationship is gookie enough, anything else would be too much.

I trust you see my point.

Jamal Dominic Barr aka barrman daddylizzo shadoo Coremae KingOde Ode'sblood fiendhorblud

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              The bible also says

Judge not lest you be judged

The bible is also a book written by MEN who CLAIM to be putting down the word of god...but we only have thier word for it. it is also a book that has been translated and retranslated, always with an agenda

At the end of the day, if God has an issue with homosexuality, let him - or her - deal with the 'sinner' on judgement day. Live adn let live, take care of yourself and let others deal with thier own issues and stop forcing your own beliefs upon others.
              So true. Translated by men who wrote it many years after the "fact." And in translating and retranslating, it is so easy for words to be translated incorrectly. One translator giving the wrong translation/meaning for a word can totally change the meaning/spirit of a sentence.

OT, but Stephen Colbert had me laughing so hard during his little Word segment the other night. He said, "I'm so sick of homosexuals trying to destroy my happy marriage by trying to have a happy marriage of their own."

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Well, with all due respect to people with excema, diabetes, and those who stutters; those are all disabilities (well, maybe not excema) that will affect a person's work when dealing with stuff in the Pegasus galaxy, like very delicate Ancient artifacts, or stuff like that.

Being gay is not a disability. You wouldn't be able to tell anyway, unless it was stereotypically obvious.

Trust me eczema is a disability. As a matter of fact friend, though it isn't as bad with me when I was Eleven(I'm 30 now), it was a thorn in my side for many a year. So much so, that at my local school of R.M. Bailey, if not for God's grace I'd be dead. Probably from a self inflicted mortal wound. After years of being called nasty freak sick aidsy filthy slimy scaly diseased ridden animal, skin cancerous contagious stigma--- approaching insanity madness and finally sealing off myself from caring what people think about me--- I must confess eczema is and always shall be a disability.

After all Topisolon N which was used along with well over a hundred mg of Predisones just to shock my system enough to deal with eczema and asthma(both of which happened at the very same time) led to my now having glocuma. Ain't life bloody grand!!!!

Comment

Many people have diabetes; it could be shown that people can lead a very normal life with the disease. A stutterer could handle artifacts and wouldn't need to talk much. A really ugly person wouldn't have their work being affected by how they look. The point is I think one's sexual orientation is no one's business but one's own, so why highlight it? And why must things always be about sex? Who in heck cares?
                  Last edited by Nightspore; 29 June 2007, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightspore View Post
                    Many people have diabetes; it should be shown that people can lead a very normal life with the disease. A stutterer could handling artifacts and wouldn't need to talk much. A really ugly person wouldn't have their work being affected by how they look. The point is I think one's sexual orientation is no one's business but one's own, so why highlight it? And why must things always be about sex? Who in heck cares?
                    I concur.

***must sleep now friends, going to work in three hours---- need to sleep, remember agree to disagree******

Comment

I'm all for having a gay/bi character on the show. There are hundreds of people in Atlantis, and there's no way all of them are straight. A for actually having a ship, only if the writers can write it in a mature way. All the ships in Atlantis have so far been rather juvenile, makes me think the writers are stuck in a teenage mindset with regards to relationships/sex.

As for all those complaints about not wanting to see homosexual relationships, deal with it. I don´t find seeing a girl kiss a guy the least bit appealing, but i´m not going to let that make me enjoy the show less.
                      sigpic

Comment

I would take it up with God if he was real, which he obviously isn't.

And 8-year olds?! Excuse me? You think 8-year olds should be watching this show? People dying from explosions, getting their life sucked out of them by vampire-like monsters, being shot, etc?

As for people not watching; well, there are plenty of reasons why people might not watch; doing things safely so that people aren't offended just stagnates a show.
                        lol I watched loads of shows that probably weren't suitable for me growing up. When i was 4 i used to watch movies that were 15's (it was mainly by accident that i got a hands on them but after i'd watched them over and over again loads of times my parents figured what's done is done [films were top gun and ferris buelers day off by the way so they aren't even that bad])

That's not a fair request, Skydiver. I don't put my morals aside when I watch Stargate. I don't want to see gay characters, because it violates my morallity. If I'm not allowed to bring morality into the discussion, then you're effectively censoring me.
                        You do realise that it needn't be overt gayness with gay characters getting together as such. Take Doctor Who for example. The bi character in that, Captain Jack will flirt with other characters including male characters. it's part of his character. In the more adult show, Torchwood this is taken further, however within the confines of the family friendly Doctor Who it is merely a little flirting that a lot of children won't even understand.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

common already i told you guys it HAS been done on sg1...

..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

and to Daniel Jackson... with a name like that youd think youd be a little more like, well... Daniel Jackson! hes very accepting of ALL ppl!!!
                            ... you sound more like a Kavanagh to me
                            ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseowl777 View Post
                              and to Daniel Jackson... with a name like that youd think youd be a little more like, well... Daniel Jackson! hes very accepting of ALL ppl!!!
                              ... you sound more like a Kavanagh to me
                              LOL, you get green.

Comment

^ditto on that statement.
                                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X