This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    I'm not talking about pushing an agenda, I'm talking about taking the risk of putting forth an issue- making it something morally grey that the viewer is going to think about- and I'm not talking about doing this all the time, but it would be nice to get the occasional episode with a meaty issue to go with the fun and adventure. And they started to go there with things like the wraith retrovirus, but I think they could have taken it to another level that I don't think would have compromised what the show is.
    Excellent point. There was so much more that could have been done with the retrovirus thing (and personally I also wish it could have been handled in a way that didn't make Weir & co. seem genocidally stupid) but, as usual, the writers backed off from that. Just as they've backed off whenever they've raised a potentially touchy subject.

The point is, Stargate tends to sit back on it's haunches- so why not try to move forward by introducing a gay character.
    BWAH! Sorry, but this is one subject I don't think the writers would touch with a ten foot pole. ...And if they did, we'd probably ALL regret it!

Anyway, I'm in a closed room and I smell something burning so I'm going to turn my computer off...

Comment

Like I said on page 1, I really don't think it would work in terms of believability at least in terms of any military people. Any sort of homosexuality would have to be hidden--a theoretically bad thing. But if you bring it out in the open, it will be unrealistic. It's something Star Trek stayed away from even though it touched on pretty much every other social conflict (yes, I know, ST had a few eps, but no important characters and instances with main characters were explained away as alien influences).

You have to realize that a big chunk of the viewing audience for a show like this are fairly conservative to begin with. You introduce a regular gay character and you risk alienating an entire segment, not just fans of Weir.

Comment

That's not a fair request, Skydiver. I don't put my morals aside when I watch Stargate. I don't want to see gay characters, because it violates my morallity. If I'm not allowed to bring morality into the discussion, then you're effectively censoring me.
        And saying that homosexuals shouldnt be in stargate somehow is not considered offesive towards people who are homosexual because your morallity says its wrong. That seems very arrogent and quite selfish actually.
        I dont think this kind of discussion should ever be censored because social debates about this are needed and this issue must be brought in to the open because it is fundemental to many peoples lives on both sides of the coin. Without discussion there couldnt be tollerence.

I'm not talking about pushing an agenda, I'm talking about taking the risk of putting forth an issue- making it something morally grey that the viewer is going to think about- and I'm not talking about doing this all the time, but it would be nice to get the occasional episode with a meaty issue to go with the fun and adventure. And they started to go there with things like the wraith retrovirus, but I think they could have taken it to another level that I don't think would have compromised what the show is.

The point is, Stargte tends to sit back on it's haunches- so why not try to move forward by introducing a gay character.

And who knows, maybe Atlantis isn't the right place for this- maybe the third series will be the perfect vehicle?
        I agree, maybe SGU will be a place for the Homosexual character, but they are dealing with pregnecy, which is a pretty sitcom type storyline. There could be several sex/sexuality related subplots worked around that. Specificly regarding Heightmier and Keller, because i suspect there isnt a midwifery department on atlantis and between them i think they will be part of that storyline, i think scenes perhaps even a relationship between the two doctor relating too teyla's situation could be a plausable and not too dramatised way to put in the sexuality issue.

We're a very young race to accept human differences.
        Yes but that doesnt mean we shouldnt try to or at least discuss the roots of and routes out of intolerance and understanding.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
          Yes but that doesnt mean we shouldnt try to or at least discuss the roots of and routes out of intolerance and understanding.
          I agree. I have nothing against a fair discussion
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
            I prefer it remain an action adventure show and that all ship remain in the minds and imagination of the fans. Personal lives should stay personal. The recent on screen ship just reinforces that point IMHO.
            ITA. Leave the shipping to fanfics. This isn't SoapGate.
            click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              But PG15's point- and it's a good one, IMO-
              I guess there's a first time for everything, eh?

(You knew I had to respond to this )

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                like it or not, there are many people who think the homosexuality is a sin. I don't like those people, but it's a reality and when they bring a gay character into Stargate there will people against it
                Oh, sorry, yeah all us 'bigot' Christians and 'religious types'. I'm sorry, but if you want us to respect your beliefs you should have the curtisy to respect ours.

Comment

Originally posted by 103 View Post
                  Like I said on page 1, I really don't think it would work in terms of believability at least in terms of any military people. Any sort of homosexuality would have to be hidden--a theoretically bad thing. But if you bring it out in the open, it will be unrealistic. It's something Star Trek stayed away from even though it touched on pretty much every other social conflict (yes, I know, ST had a few eps, but no important characters and instances with main characters were explained away as alien influences).

You have to realize that a big chunk of the viewing audience for a show like this are fairly conservative to begin with. You introduce a regular gay character and you risk alienating an entire segment, not just fans of Weir.
                  ITA. The writers and producers aren't going to introduce anything that controversial.

Comment

No.

Not for any bad reasons - but because Stargate has never been about 'relationships' and introducing a character only for their sexual preference means that it would require a great deal of alluding to - and Stargate is and never was about 'Relationships'.

It was a huge mistake they made with the Pete Shanahan storyline, that one Hopes they dont repeat.
                    : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                    : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                      No gay/bi characters, let's keep Stargate: Atlantis a family show, please.
                      Will & Grace is/was a family show and it was succussful even though it had what "gays", and "bisexuals" on the show all the time.

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
                      Why "obviously"?

LOL I'm not backing you into a corner or anything, I'm just curious as to what your take on it is.

Myself... I secretly would like to see Carter and Keller. Heh.
                      Frak, I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo want to see that. Or what about Teyla and Weir? Hell ya to both.

Comment

ITA. Leave the shipping to fanfics. This isn't SoapGate.
                        Im not a shipper, yet i have taken and will alway take an interest in this kind of topic, i have X many posts and there isnt 1 in the Shipper section. But i still would like to see progressive issues like this tackled in SGA. Also pregnecy and shep sleeping with someone every few episode, mkcays love for carter, and lets not even go down the "authentic" shipper routes, SG has been soapish in some respects for along time due to the very nature of it being a close set of characters. The humour lend credit to SG being almost a Scifi-Sitcom.

Oh and theres always the sexual tension between Radek and Rodney to fixate upon

edit: tired im off to bed, subscribed and ill check this 2moro
                        Last edited by immhotep; 29 June 2007, 04:22 PM.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
                          Oh, sorry, yeah all us 'bigot' Christians and 'religious types'. I'm sorry, but if you want us to respect your beliefs you should have the curtisy to respect ours.
                          believe in whatever you want to. But You can't change a people behavior, you should respect them. And religious people are the most intolerant people

edit: I'm tired, so you can PM me or we can continue tomorrow. Good night (it's almost 3AM here)
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                            It's immoral behavior.

It's cruel to think homosexuality and bisexuality is immoral? I'm not saying homosexuals should or should not do stuff. I just don't want to see it in a Stargate episode, that's all. I don't care if it's not sexual or overly flaunted. Gay is gay, and I don't want to see it. If they do a gay episode, hey, look at that... I changed the channel!

By my standards, Stargate: Atlantis is a family friendly show. If I were a kid, my parents would watch it with me.

I don't watch the show, so no comment. As for a show aimed at 8-year-olds featuring gay characters... ew.

Wow, what an overreaction! Look, I believe homosexuality is immoral and unnatural. Don't like it? That's fine, I don't expect you to believe as I do. However, how dare you attack my beliefe system! I don't go telling you what to believe! As for suicidal gay teens, here's an idea... teach them to be straight, duh! ...and don't tell me it can't be done. Whom you have romantic/sexual feelings for is a choice. Anyone who says otherwise is just looking for an excuse to have a good time.

People might stop watching. That'd be a good reason not to have a gay character.

Look, I'm a Christian, and I use the Bible as a guide for life. The Bible makes it clear that homosexuallity is a sin. If you have a problem with that, take it up with God, not me. I don't go telling people what they should or should not believe. I ask that you do the same by not demanding me to accept your lifestyle. Thanks.

Despite what your TV set might have you think, Christians do NOT hate homosexuals. We do NOT condemn homosexuals. We do NOT think we are better than homosexuals. We simply consider said lifestyle sinful and therefore wish not to be around it. I hope you can understand.
                            Thank you! I'm a Christian as well. Stargate is a family friendly show (most of the time anyway *cough* Shep and Teer! The Herb! *cough* ) and I don't think that they'd put a homosexual character in Atlantis.

And about homosexuality: "Love the sinner and hate the sin."

But this is a forum about Stargate; not a religious debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                              No.

Not for any bad reasons - but because Stargate has never been about 'relationships' and introducing a character only for their sexual preference means that it would require a great deal of alluding to - and Stargate is and never was about 'Relationships'.

It was a huge mistake they made with the Pete Shanahan storyline, that one Hopes they dont repeat.
                              Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                                Look, I'm a Christian, and I use the Bible as a guide for life. The Bible makes it clear that homosexuallity is a sin. If you have a problem with that, take it up with God, not me. I don't go telling people what they should or should not believe. I ask that you do the same by not demanding me to accept your lifestyle. Thanks.

Despite what your TV set might have you think, Christians do NOT hate homosexuals. We do NOT condemn homosexuals. We do NOT think we are better than homosexuals. We simply consider said lifestyle sinful and therefore wish not to be around it. I hope you can understand.[/COLOR]
                                erm i'm christian and bisexual, you do realize not all Christians think that way right?

with all the war in the world i'm just glad love exists in any form

oh well really not the time or place for that conversation!

i think it would be cool to see different sexual orientations as long as they are not the centre of the story, as heterosexuality should not be the centre of the story...it just is, neither need to be a topic imho. Its kind of like having episode about people having blonde hair instead of red

that being said.. i think that the writers have enough things that they struggle writing, i'm not sure they could handle another one
                                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Working...
                                X