This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
    believe in whatever you want to. But You can't change a people behavior, you should respect them. And religious people are the most intolerant people

edit: I'm tired, so you can PM me or we can continue tomorrow. Good night (it's almost 3AM here)
    I still hold to a certain set of morals. If people are not following that set of morals, I'll tell them that I think that they're doing the wrong thing but I'm not going to force them to change or hate them because they don't.

And what you said is true: some people use a religion to justify bigotry, but not all. Dispite what you might think, most Christians don't condem every person that isn't following what the Bible says. If a homosexual comes to a church or something, most pastors aren't going to say, "Get out you're going to Hell!" But like I said before: "Hate the sin and love the sinner."

I or any other Christian can't make anybody change, but we can still believe what they're doing is wrong.
    click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
      erm i'm christian and bisexual, you do realize not all Christians think that way right?
      I'm aware of gay Christians that don't want to be gay but don't know how to cease giving into homosexuallity. I don't know of any Christians who think being gay is A OK when the Bible flat out says it's a sin.

with all the war in the world i'm just glad love exists in any form
      It is good to love thy fellow man, and it is good to love in the romantic sense. However, love can be perverted. I believe homosexuallity to be a persion of romantic/sexual love. Now, if you're going to be bisexual, that's your decission, and yours alone. I don't think any less of you for engaging in such behavior. However, you should know by now that the average Christian does not find such behavior to be an acceptable thing. Most will tell you that it is a sin and hope that you change your ways.

My advice is to read the Bible, go to Church, pray on the issue, and listen to the Holy Spirit.

One thing I really don't want to see is a feminine gay man. I've seen that in real life, and... it ain't pretty.

Comment

well that would be very interesting it would not matter much to me, but i think it would enhance the realness of the show, but i wonder if there any Homosexual tendencies within the Pegasus or Milky Way Galaxy , like if any of you remember Ronon looked at John really weird when he said " if there someone you are interested in women ... or man" that was interesting

but i suppose homosexuality is common or possible with any type of people ?
        sigpic
        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
          Thank you! I'm a Christian as well. Stargate is a family friendly show (most of the time anyway *cough* Shep and Teer! The Herb! *cough* ) and I don't think that they'd put a homosexual character in Atlantis.

And about homosexuality: "Love the sinner and hate the sin."

But this is a forum about Stargate; not a religious debate.
          True (last statement). I don't believe they'll include any controversial characters into the show for that reason: it's basically family friendly. David Hewlett said last night in his interview (when talking about making A Dog's Breakfast): "there’s no point in doing an R-rated sexy romance for the Stargate crowd – that’s not what they like."

As for Shep and Teer (which is the only time he probably slept with a woman on the show), it is standard TV behavior. The thing is that in most shows, no one's religious beliefs are truly tackled (past screaming "OH God!") and in scifi, in anohter galaxy, the folks there don't know of God, the Bible or the Ten Commandments, so for them, sex is probably just what comes naturally.

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
          Will & Grace is/was a family show and it was succussful even though it had what "gays", and "bisexuals" on the show all the time.

Frak, I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo want to see that. Or what about Teyla and Weir? Hell ya to both.
          Will & Grace was also a sitcom, too. Audiences do accept gay characters better in sitcoms than in dramatic roles. However, unless a character's sexual desires/whatever are shown on screen, you can think what you want about the characters (such as in ER, when one doctor suddenly came out as a lesbian).

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
          Im not a shipper, yet i have taken and will alway take an interest in this kind of topic, i have X many posts and there isnt 1 in the Shipper section. But i still would like to see progressive issues like this tackled in SGA. Also pregnecy and shep sleeping with someone every few episode, mkcays love for carter, and lets not even go down the "authentic" shipper routes, SG has been soapish in some respects for along time due to the very nature of it being a close set of characters. The humour lend credit to SG being almost a Scifi-Sitcom.

Oh and theres always the sexual tension between Radek and Rodney to fixate upon

edit: tired im off to bed, subscribed and ill check this 2moro
          Nononon, no Radek/McKay. Noooooooo. SG has had its fair share of sex. Teal'c mostly, since he's alien, has probably slept with more women than jack and Daniel combined! Sam sleeps with one guy and some fans instantly called her a 'slut' (probably cuz it wasn't Jack)

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
          No.

Not for any bad reasons - but because Stargate has never been about 'relationships' and introducing a character only for their sexual preference means that it would require a great deal of alluding to - and Stargate is and never was about 'Relationships'.

It was a huge mistake they made with the Pete Shanahan storyline, that one Hopes they dont repeat.
          I didn't mind the Pete storyline so much except i knew it coudn't end anything but badly (as it's rare you marry off a charcter in an action/adventure show unless they die (brain tumor, bullet, aneursym). SG is about action, aliens, etc., but not who slept with who. I'm sure they'll continue that.

Comment

i got to church every sunday hehe i am so not getting in to this conversation'
            i'm not gay i'm bi.. i didn't choose it i just am that way, why would i want to change?

there was a gay united church minister in the gay pride parade in Toronto

i don't believe in premarital sex but that is my choice...
            besides sex is not something i usually like to talk about lol thats no body's business but my own.

and this conversation is off topic.....read what i said about that was actually on topic thanks
            Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
            ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
            Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

erm i'm christian and bisexual, you do realize not all Christians think that way right?
              Uh... Leviticus 18:22 "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman." If you believe that all the Bible is true, then that verse is pretty darn clear.

But it's not only homosexuality. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins people commit are outside their bodies, but those who sin sexually sin against their own bodies. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spiri, who is in you, whom you have recieved from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."

And that's where I stand with sex. IMO, the real question isn't who you are sleeping with but why are you sleeping with anyone?

But again, I don't want this to turn into some huge moral debate that the mods have to shut down, so I'll stop blabbing now

Comment

Uh... Leviticus 18:22 "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman." If you believe that all the Bible is true, then that verse is pretty darn clear.

But it's not only homosexuality. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins people commit are outside their bodies, but those who sin sexually sin against their own bodies. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spiri, who is in you, whom you have recieved from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."

And that's where I stand with sex. IMO, the real question isn't who you are sleeping with but why are you sleeping with anyone?

But again, I don't want this to turn into some huge moral debate that the mods have to shut down, so I'll stop blabbing now

there are so many translations and thats okay if you believe that i just don't.
                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

there are so many translations and thats okay if you believe that i just don't.
                  I'm going to play the 'agree to disagree' card.

Comment

There was one Sci-fi show that handled bi-sexuality well is B-5 with the character of Susan Ivanova. It was very subtle and I credit that to JMS.

Now if the storyline called for a character who is gay, lesbian, or bi, I see no problem with it IMHO. I would hope that the actor chosen would be those who are open about their orientation.

Comment

I don't read the bible, but you can interpret that line to mean that, what you do to the opposite sex when you have sex, should not be the same as what you do to the same sex, during sex.

It doesn't say the same sex can't have sex, just that they can't do it the same way as with opposite sex couples; and, since the anatomy typically prohibits that from happening anyway, my interpretation says that homosexual relations "in that way" is perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 103 View Post
                        Like I said on page 1, I really don't think it would work in terms of believability at least in terms of any military people. Any sort of homosexuality would have to be hidden--a theoretically bad thing. But if you bring it out in the open, it will be unrealistic.
                        Hmmm. Good point. I hadn't thought of that aspect of it. OK, skip Lorne, then. How about... Carson? Maybe that kiss with McKay in Duet really shook him up and he tried to deny it by dating Cadman, but their relationship eventually fizzled because he realized he couldn't deny his nature any longer! Ta-da! Or would people cry "foul" at the stereotype of gay guys being sensitive/emotional? Although Heightmeyer would be an interesting choice, too. Ignoring, for the moment, the fact that TPTB would never write a (good) gay character, of course.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        I guess there's a first time for everything, eh?

(You knew I had to respond to this )
                        Yeah. I got a very angry IM from Satan regarding the snow...

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                        Not for any bad reasons - but because Stargate has never been about 'relationships' [*snip*] ...and Stargate is and never was about 'Relationships'.
                        ROTFL! I think legions of shippers would beg to differ. Stargate may not necessarily be about blatant relationships (except for a few regrettable- IMO- incidents) but the hinting and alluding and all the moopy eyes and double-entendres and whatnot have certainly been prevalent to those who choose to see such things (and occasionally to those who wish to hell they couldn't see them). So if that can have that kind of stuff for straight shippers, why not have it for the slashers as well? Of course there are those who'd say there's plenty of slashy stuff already, but there's no reason why it couldn't be made a little more blatant. Except for previously stated reasons/opinions regarding TPTB.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          I don't read the bible, but you can interpret that line to mean that, what you do to the opposite sex when you have sex, should not be the same as what you do to the same sex, during sex.

It doesn't say the same sex can't have sex, just that they can't do it the same way as with opposite sex couples; and, since the anatomy typically prohibits that from happening anyway, my interpretation says that homosexual relations "in that way" is perfectly fine.
                          I'm going to play the 'agree to disagree' card.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                            It's immoral behavior.
                            So is torture & murder? Both SG-1 & SGA have them (mass murder with little or no remose if you ask me) but somehow you see that as Family Friendly?

Originally posted by PG15
                            LOL!
                            Anyway I am an atheist so my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

im all for equal oppertunity... but the fact is that half the ppl out there dont share this sentiment... its something that we will be seeing on shows in say 20+ yrs (besides comedy ie. will and grace)... also stargate is recieving low rating hence the cancelment... and having only 1 show left id rather not risk atlantis (survive the wraith and asurans and fall to conservatives... not the best ending)

-also with the "dont ask dont tell" policy in the military, the gould being pretty much androgenous (they could easily switch gender of their host)... it just wouldnt have made sense...

-but i think that the already hinted as best they could to this field in their own little ways... if i sound politcally incorrect sorry... but we got the mckay/carson/ cadman kiss, which was great... and well ra from the movie and zipacna in s3 "pretense".... i love stargate and would kill to be on an episode.. but i dont know if i coulda gone on tv dressed the way zippy was in that episode!!...
                              ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                                ROTFL! I think legions of shippers would beg to differ. Stargate may not necessarily be about blatant relationships (except for a few regrettable- IMO- incidents) but the hinting and alluding and all the moopy eyes and double-entendres and whatnot have certainly been prevalent to those who choose to see such things (and occasionally to those who wish to hell they couldn't see them). So if that can have that kind of stuff for straight shippers, why not have it for the slashers as well? Of course there are those who'd say there's plenty of slashy stuff already, but there's no reason why it couldn't be made a little more blatant. Except for previously stated reasons/opinions regarding TPTB.
                                This is why snipping quotes is bad. It removes the actual context that the comment was said in.

introducing a character only for their sexual preference means that it would require a great deal of alluding to

In other words, introducing a character just because they are gay/bi, and only to make a spectacle of the fact that are gay/bi is well and truly inconsistent with that which Stargate is about. Thats NOT relationships. Oh yes, we have looks here and there (some more innocent than others, like that promo Hug that people went feral over. Puh-lease) - but the only time they went out of their way to carry on a relationship storyline was with Pete - and it really didn't have any place. I fail to see where sitting in the park yakking adds anything to to concept of going though a honking great metal ring and shooting at Alien bad guys.

If they were to bring in a gay character (and lord knows, there could already be one, but doesn't walk around throwing it in everyones face every five seconds) then i cant even think of a way for them to introduce them without having to make some big deal about the fact they are gay - this it would only be to make a spectacle of the fact that they are gay.

It just seems an utterly pointless thing to add, that adds absolutely nothing to then inherent storyline of Stargate.

On other reasons - Shows that feature around homosexual relationships do as well as they do because everyone knows what it is they are going to watch in the first place. America is really very split on the whole debate. Splitting fans over favourite characters is one thing, but to split the fan base over something this (ultimately - not opinion piece) controversial WOULD be damaging to the franchise.

Considering that there is no reason for anyone to be waving a gay/bi flag in stargate, it would be utterly pointless to take that risk.
                                : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                                : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Working...
                                X