This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nightspore View Post
    Yes, gay is normal (depending on one's perspective) and so are a million other things, so why not include them on TV as well? If a gay character is to be an example of "infinite diversity in infinite combinations" – well that's one example, but I could think of many other ones which would be better. The vast majority of people SG-1 met on their travels through the 'Gate were white people; they rarely met a village of black people, Latinos, East Asian, etc. SGA isn't any different.

Certainly, in a conversation, Keller could just refer to her girlfriend/partner and we'd get the picture. She's gay and it's OK and accepted. That alone isn't going to make me think the writers of SGA are daring, edgy or original. I agree with those who've said to what end? Having a person admit they're gay isn't going to change the writing, automatically make the storylines better, or make the show more interesting, IMO. I'm not *against* it per se, I just don't see it accomplishing anything, other than causing some people who do watch it to consider NOT watching it anymore because a character is gay. There *are* those people who would do that. And they seem to need all the viewers they can get at this point.
    I'd agree that it would be nice to see more ethnic diversity in the Peg civs, particularly at the leadership levels.

Regarding the idea that there are people who are turned off by the idea of gay characters: that's true. However, there seems to be some data out there that suggests that sci-fi actually attracts more GLBT viewers on average than some other genres. What viewers might be lost by having a character with an other-than-het orientation might be counter-balanced by gains from that demographic.

Doubt we'll ever see an other-than-straight recurring or reg character happen, though. Not in the Gate 'verse...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      But on the plus side, straight girls won't have to worry about losing any of their hunky chunks of manflesh.
      Well, now, that's just greedy!

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Unless said chunks happen to be bi, then everybody's happy. For given values of "everybody."
      LOL!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
        Well, thought i'd add my 2 cents - but I admit, I skipepd a few pages.

Me, I'm gay, and Im religious - Egyptian Gods actually: and to be fair - your all assuming that: if a character is gay then its going to be shipping on the show itself:

Why? Mckay and Weir - both straight, opposite sex...dont see them going at it or any shippy things there. Carter and Jackson, same story -

Just because a character is gay, or bi, or lesbian doesnt mean there has to be ANY shippyness on the show itself - if fans want to make it, ok: but it isnt necessary. Such actions can be done as subtle as possible, a lil remark, or a dying statement *decree of love for someone back home, or something* - it doesnt have to be in your face.

I see Atlantis more as a family(character rise) and people show - I see no problem should a character who isnt straight turn up there. Afterall, hundreds of different people, from faiths and countries world wide.

My ONLY gripe would be if it pre-mentioned character was a stereotype- I.E. Queer eye for the straigh guy (or whatever) - which features over the top people. We are not like that (not all anyway)

Whether it conflicts with morals, or personal beliefs - to turn away from a tv show you enjoy for one character is stupid. I disagree with what BSG characters nearly did (Killing all Cylons with a viral infection) - yet I wont stop watching it -
        My thoughts exactly...except liking people of the same sex, I like the other sex

My only opinion on the morality of a TV show like this showing a "Gay" character is this:

Don't shove your beliefs in others. Accept us for our faith and don't judge us as Homophobic freaks. That is called Bigotry. I have, In the USA at least, the right to believe in what I want to believe and I hate shows that try to force me out of those beliefs.

So what if I think bieng gay is a sin? I had 2 gay friends at school. Now that I Graduated I have lost contact with them. They both knew what I believe and they respected it. They didn't judge me on those beliefs like some bigots do around here. If the show could use a gay Character to show this line of thinking I would accept it.

For Example: Sgt. Johnny is gay, but we don't know it. He goes for whatever reason with Shepperd's team to a world. Some how the Team gets involeved in a little sticky situation. The Town's people feal that being gay is wrong and in order to keep Evil away(The Wraith) They must kill them all. Someone from the Team feals that Homosexuality is wrong but risks his life to save Sgt. Johnny and the Homosexuals of that planet.

Moral of the story. Let people Believe, and let others do the same. No shipping and my Example could offer a peice of technology that is the real reason why the wraith wont call those people.

Don't judge me based on my belief, and I won't judge you. Live and let live, Love the sinner, but hate the sin.

What ya think?
        [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
        HARRIMAN
        I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
        [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
        HARRIMAN
        So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR View Post
          My thoughts exactly...except liking people of the same sex, I like the other sex

My only opinion on the morality of a TV show like this showing a "Gay" character is this:

Don't shove your beliefs in others. Accept us for our faith and don't judge us as Homophobic freaks. That is called Bigotry. I have, In the USA at least, the right to believe in what I want to believe and I hate shows that try to force me out of those beliefs.

So what if I think bieng gay is a sin? I had 2 gay friends at school. Now that I Graduated I have lost contact with them. They both knew what I believe and they respected it. They didn't judge me on those beliefs like some bigots do around here. If the show could use a gay Character to show this line of thinking I would accept it.

For Example: Sgt. Johnny is gay, but we don't know it. He goes for whatever reason with Shepperd's team to a world. Some how the Team gets involeved in a little sticky situation. The Town's people feal that being gay is wrong and in order to keep Evil away(The Wraith) They must kill them all. Someone from the Team feals that Homosexuality is wrong but risks his life to save Sgt. Johnny and the Homosexuals of that planet.

Moral of the story. Let people Believe, and let others do the same. No shipping and my Example could offer a peice of technology that is the real reason why the wraith wont call those people.

Don't judge me based on my belief, and I won't judge you. Live and let live, Love the sinner, but hate the sin.

What ya think?
          I've always been a live and let live kinda guy, myself, and can personally agree with your 2nd to last statement... up to the part about sin. IMO, that sounds like covert judging. Still, even with the last bit included, I believe that you're as entitled to your views as I am to mine.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
            No, it probably won't have any influence on the storyline, or writing, but it would be nice to have a non-heterosexual character just for variety.

The thing is that after the first scene where you found out they were gay or bi, I would think the sexuality issue would pretty much be forgotten. (Because you know the writers of SGA aren't going to have said person dating or engaged in a relationship with another person.) At least for me it would. When I saw them doing their job or interacting with people, I wouldn't consciously be thinking "Oh, there's a gay person." It's like real life. I have a very close gay friend but when I interact with her it doesn't even occur to me most of the time to think of her in terms of labels such as gay. She's just a friend.

And how many people can there really be who are so bigoted that they stop watching a show just because it has a gay/bi character?
            Many more than you would think. Bigotry is not a small issue.

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by prion
              I don't think the writers want to tackle these kind of social topics on a show that's about aliens and such.

Originally posted by ladyjanus View Post
              And isn't that a shame. The best Science Fiction has always been used a mirror to reflect the human condition.

ladyjanus
              Yes and no. Stargate isn't a show to tackle social issues. BSG is doing that, but SG isn't, and it will probably last longer in DVD and syndication sales for that reason. It's an hour of somewhat mindless entertainment. If you want social issues tackled, that's what news programs, etc. are for, and plenty of other prime time dramas are more than happy to do social issues (usually during Sweeps period).

The networks will do what makes money. And as Shadowmaat offered up, the writers really aren't that hot at doing romance scenes, which I suppose we should be happy for, otherwise we'd be ending up with love triangles!

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR View Post

What ya think?
                Let me tell you a differnet story, tho.
                I liev in Jerusalem. Last year, 3 people were stabbed in the Pride Parade. November should have seen the international Pride Parade in the city. After months of demonstrations, counter-demonstrations, appeals to the supreme court and many many threats towards the GLBT community, it got cancelled due to security reasons. In the past month, the story repeated itself. The Parade ended up happening, for only about 500 metres, when rabbis from the ultra-orthodox community put a curse fo death on participants and the police officers put on secutiry duty of the Parade.
                What does this have to do with this thread, you (would rightly) ask? Easy. Most (opposing, non-ultra orthodox) people's reaction was "why shove it in our throats go to Tel Aviv!"
                Telling gay people, such as myself being bisexual "don't shove it in our throats" often equates to shoving the other POV in our throats - as in, "go back to the closet!"

Television shows such as Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis show heterosexual relationships on a regular basis. Just this year, we've seen Daniel and Vala developing a love story, hints of wedding between Jack and Sam in 200, Cameron's highschool girlfriend and General LAndry's ex-wife. All heterosexual relationships. On sGA, we've learned that Rodney McKay has been dating Katie Brown, Sheppard flirting with I honestly can't remember how many women, Ronon's dead wife, Teyla talking with a friend about a guy she has a crush on and Weir dating Mike. All heterosexual relationships. Stargate is riddled with sexual/relatinoship stories for the character, and they're always heterosexual. As a matter fo fact, in 13 seasons of Stargate, we haven't seen one gay relationship. How abnormal is that? To mee, it feels very much so.

As I gave earlier the example of Keller (and I only gave her because she's a new character - I agree, putting a lesbian character is too much the straight male's fantasy, I like the Lorne example better ) - it doesn't have to be "in your face", even. We've seen Daniel and Vala kiss, Sam and Jack kiss, Teal'c and Ishta kiss, Rya'c and his wife kiss, etc etc etc (not that I think it would be bad, having the only same-sex kiss in SGA to be a joke certainly doesn';t give the show credit!), I'm not even saying we shoudl see Lorne kissing his hot male date. Nor did I even suggest we see the idn of Sam-Pete sex scene we saw in Chimera. But acknowledging not all the world is hetero shouldn't be such a radical idea. And the fleeting comment can;t be that offending, now, can it? Really?
                As for how fleeting? To draw, yet again for the umpteenth time, Doctor Who.
                3X11/3X12 Utopia/Sound of Drums spoilers
                Spoiler:
                There were exactly two references to show in these episodes Jack i, well, omnisexual. His "hello there" to both Martha and the bloke (and well, Chanto) in Utopia (followed by the Doctor's "don't start" - stopping him before he even started flirting, actually) and the "you too" comment to Martha when the Doctor gave the "it's like when you fancy someone" comment. Two. exactly two, extremely subtle references. Hardly seent he skies falling.
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Except theyd get fired or dishonorably discharged the minute anyone else found out. Not very sympathetic to see General Oneil saying... sorry siler, your gay so u get kicked out and treated like a felon the rest of your life..

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    Except theyd get fired or dishonorably discharged the minute anyone else found out. Not very sympathetic to see General Oneil saying... sorry siler, your gay so u get kicked out and treated like a felon the rest of your life..
                    Yup, if any military character on the show 'came out,' he/she would be out - out of a job.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      Yup, if any military character on the show 'came out,' he/she would be out - out of a job.
                      Still?! This is the 21st century, for crying out loud, and it's a bit terrifying for me to think the Israeli military is more open minded on the subject than the American one, knowing how open minded and progressive (cough) the Israeli society is.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                        Let me tell you a differnet story, tho.
                        I liev in Jerusalem. Last year, 3 people were stabbed in the Pride Parade. November should have seen the international Pride Parade in the city. After months of demonstrations, counter-demonstrations, appeals to the supreme court and many many threats towards the GLBT community, it got cancelled due to security reasons. In the past month, the story repeated itself. The Parade ended up happening, for only about 500 metres, when rabbis from the ultra-orthodox community put a curse fo death on participants and the police officers put on secutiry duty of the Parade.
                        What does this have to do with this thread, you (would rightly) ask? Easy. Most (opposing, non-ultra orthodox) people's reaction was "why shove it in our throats go to Tel Aviv!"
                        Telling gay people, such as myself being bisexual "don't shove it in our throats" often equates to shoving the other POV in our throats - as in, "go back to the closet!"

Television shows such as Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis show heterosexual relationships on a regular basis. Just this year, we've seen Daniel and Vala developing a love story, hints of wedding between Jack and Sam in 200, Cameron's highschool girlfriend and General LAndry's ex-wife. All heterosexual relationships. On sGA, we've learned that Rodney McKay has been dating Katie Brown, Sheppard flirting with I honestly can't remember how many women, Ronon's dead wife, Teyla talking with a friend about a guy she has a crush on and Weir dating Mike. All heterosexual relationships. Stargate is riddled with sexual/relatinoship stories for the character, and they're always heterosexual. As a matter fo fact, in 13 seasons of Stargate, we haven't seen one gay relationship. How abnormal is that? To mee, it feels very much so.

As I gave earlier the example of Keller (and I only gave her because she's a new character - I agree, putting a lesbian character is too much the straight male's fantasy, I like the Lorne example better ) - it doesn't have to be "in your face", even. We've seen Daniel and Vala kiss, Sam and Jack kiss, Teal'c and Ishta kiss, Rya'c and his wife kiss, etc etc etc (not that I think it would be bad, having the only same-sex kiss in SGA to be a joke certainly doesn';t give the show credit!), I'm not even saying we shoudl see Lorne kissing his hot male date. Nor did I even suggest we see the idn of Sam-Pete sex scene we saw in Chimera. But acknowledging not all the world is hetero shouldn't be such a radical idea. And the fleeting comment can;t be that offending, now, can it? Really?
                        As for how fleeting? To draw, yet again for the umpteenth time, Doctor Who.
                        3X11/3X12 Utopia/Sound of Drums spoilers
                        Spoiler:
                        There were exactly two references to show in these episodes Jack i, well, omnisexual. His "hello there" to both Martha and the bloke (and well, Chanto) in Utopia (followed by the Doctor's "don't start" - stopping him before he even started flirting, actually) and the "you too" comment to Martha when the Doctor gave the "it's like when you fancy someone" comment. Two. exactly two, extremely subtle references. Hardly seent he skies falling.
                        I believe that you misunderstood my post. So what you are saying is that My beliefs cause the possible deaths in a unstable region like the Middle East? Well with the execption of domestic terrorists and rednecks there is no real struggle between Christians/Jews/Muslims and gays here in the States. There are plenty of pride parades(Pride is one of the seven deadly sins BTW)and Conservative movments to match them.

Like I said, I had 2 good gay friends, 1 Good Islam friend and 2 good Athiest friends. We got along cause we accepted the fact that we can't and maybe shouldn't agree on our faith's or lack of it. That is the type Moral That I want to see in Stargate. The Example Episode that I gave could be a good way to go about it.

I do, however, Agree that from a real life Prospective it is strange that not one gay relationship has been hinted in the last 13 seasons of stargate. I wouldn't hurt to do so, but within reason. I would loved it if half the Relation ships, if not all of them, that you mentioned were kept down to a honorable mention at best. I am not a very Shippy kinda guy.
                        [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                        HARRIMAN
                        I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                        [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                        HARRIMAN
                        So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

I wouldn't really like to see that,i'm not against gays or anything but i just feel a little uncomfortable seeing two females or two males kissing on screen!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06
                            I wouldn't really like to see that,i'm not against gays or anything but i just feel a little uncomfortable seeing two females or two males kissing on screen!
                            I feel the same about a women and a man kissing, you'll get used to it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nightspore View Post
                              Many people have diabetes; it could be shown that people can lead a very normal life with the disease. A stutterer could handle artifacts and wouldn't need to talk much. A really ugly person wouldn't have their work being affected by how they look. The point is I think one's sexual orientation is no one's business but one's own, so why highlight it? And why must things always be about sex? Who in heck cares?
                              I have to apologize, since I mixed up the meaning of "stutterer". I thought it was in the body, instead of with speech.

Don't mind me, move along.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                                No gay/bi characters, let's keep Stargate: Atlantis a family show, please.

wants wrong with having Gay/bi characters in the show. It can still be a family show it's not like it's all about sex and stuff .
                                Big luv
                                Claire

Comment

Working...
                                X