This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    No gay/bi characters, let's keep Stargate: Atlantis a family show, please.
    Family show refers to no explicit content, such as not showing any sex scenes, or you know what? too gruesome and graphic violence, something Stargate has shown more than once and got a TV14 rating for. Not exactly "family friendly", I would guess.

As opposed to, let's say, oh I dunno, that British show named Doctor Who that is clearly and officially a show aimed at 8 year olds - that has constant gay references and a gay character.

Children's innocent little ears are not going to burn just because they learnt here's more than one way to lvoe someone. Hell, maybe when they grow up, the suicide rate amongst gay teenagers would drop a bit?

As for the characters in SG, no, all fo a sudden turning a character gay would be ridiculous (although it has been done before in Buffy wit Willow.). However, there's no reason not to portray a new character as gay. And the characters have all been portrayed as straight - whenever they have any sort of a relationship, it's a straight one, not a gay one.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I don't want to see a "gay" character any more than I want to see an "Hispanic" one or a "Jewish" one or whatever. If a character happens to be any one (or all) of those things, fine, but I don't want the entire purpose of the character to be a label and that's exactly what would happen in this case. Or at least it's my firm belief that such a character would be nothing more than the "token gay." Why? Because I don't think TPTB have it in them to do the subject any justice; we'd get a caricature, not a character.

It's a pity Stargate can't borrow some of Doctor Who's writers. If they could create someone along the lines of Captain Jack (but not a blatant copy) I think that'd be brilliant... assuming the rest of the show was brought up to snuff to support him (or her).

Oh, and for those closeted individuals who think that gay/bi characters aren't "family friendly:" Doctor Who is a family show.

Comment

As long as they're not putting up a flag saying "look at us we have a gay character!", yeah. They shouldn't make an issue of it. I hate shipping in all it's forms on Stargate, but there's no reason to not have gay/bi characters- it just shouldn't be treated like a big deal. As said, look at shows like Doctor Who and Buffy, they have gay characters/references but they never played it as a stunt! It all depends on how well the character itself is written; Captain Jack for example is a great well rounded character, and his omnisexuality is just part of that make-up, not the be all and end all.

Comment

Heh, I can't really complain too much about Daniel Jackson's comment up there. Starting a thread like this is bound to inspire a little bit of controversy. I just find it sad that we can't discuss lifestyles innocently without someone popping their head up to condemn it as wrong. I myself am bisexual, and that comment up there felt a bit like a slap in the face. I was effectively told that I'm wrong in being that way. But whatever lol.

Anyway, to keep this from turning into a proverbial can of worms, let's get back on topic lol.

About ShadowMaat's comment, I don't mean to have them be "the gay character". If we can have straight characters who aren't talking about their straight lifestyle all the time, we can have gay characters who do the same. Goods points though! Writers would be tempted to make something out of it. The Stargate writers, I think, wouldn't do that though. After all, we've never had an episode where a black character has been discriminated against or anything like that. Everybody's just been themselves, so I think it could work.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
            No gay/bi characters, let's keep Stargate: Atlantis a family show, please.
            This is the twenty-first century. Come join us, the water's lovely

As it happens I don't think the Stargate PTB have it in them to write a gay or bi character. They've too much latent embarrassment. But I'd be impressed if they tried. Ideally a minor character, so that if they make a hash of it it's not such a big deal

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
              Why "obviously"?

LOL I'm not backing you into a corner or anything, I'm just curious as to what your take on it is.

Myself... I secretly would like to see Carter and Keller. Heh.
              That would be really hot.

Best Stargate quote:
              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
              Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
                About ShadowMaat's comment, I don't mean to have them be "the gay character". If we can have straight characters who aren't talking about their straight lifestyle all the time, we can have gay characters who do the same.
                In the hands of open-minded and talented writers, you'd be right- he or she wouldn't be "the gay character." But in the hands of Atlantis's writers I think that's exactly what would happen. You may have faith in their writing skills and lack of.... let's just say "broad-mindedness," but I don't share that confidence.

EDIT: Ironically, homosexuality is NOT an Abomination unto Nuggan (although barking dogs, the color blue and babies are).
                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 29 June 2007, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I'd really like to think that the people who've created such popular characters, characters capable of inspiring such devotion and loyalty among the fans of the shows, could get beyond whatever fears or foibles or phobias they may have in themselves and trust their talents to take them to places that I believe their fans would follow. As long as the writers create characters that are true, believable and — most importantly — interesting, I hope the fans would embrace them without prejudice.

One can only hope, anyway...

ladyjanus

Comment

I would take it up with God if he was real, which he obviously isn't.

And 8-year olds?! Excuse me? You think 8-year olds should be watching this show? People dying from explosions, getting their life sucked out of them by vampire-like monsters, being shot, etc?

As for people not watching; well, there are plenty of reasons why people might not watch; doing things safely so that people aren't offended just stagnates a show.

Comment

This is a very interesting topic and i think they should attempt it, not because it will be a label or because its something that people will be surprised about or make a fuss over but because this is the 21st centuary and sexuallity shouldnt be an issue.
                      Also as a family show its parent preference and im my opinion responsibitity not to shy away from the "issue" of sexuallity. If children are to become non prejudicial members of society, then i see no reason why a sci-fi series couldnt have a bi, gay, lesbian or omnisexual character.
                      How it should be percieved on Atlantis shouldnt be an issue, most of them are highly respect acedemics, most have some semblence of social justice and shouldnt have any problem in someones sexuallity.
                      What might be interesting is doing this from another perspective, perhaps a wraith could be gay or bi, or an athosian, not because i dont think Atlantis personel are all stright, few people in the modern world will think of them as 100% straight, i know few people 100% homophobic stright people but i live in quite a liberal area and its not so heavily religously indoctrinated as some parts of thier core audience ie the US will be.
                      Theres really two parts to this arguement. Could the show, the writers be able to write a non essential part or villain or ship convincingly and not stereotypically, without being coi and embarrised and portray it right. They should give it a go because its a noble pusuit and something they have the potential to delve in to in a way Sg1 possibly never did.
                      The other side of this, is could their key audience, people in the US be receptive to a Bi/gay character, perhap recuring being in the show? would they lose viewers, would it become a contraversy, or would on a more optimistic note be a pull in showing that they can tackle social issues as well as be a science based show. The ori and goauld are plays on religion in the world today, we know they can tackle that kind of social issue but can they do it right on a more intimate, private level. I would commend them if they attempted it.

I think Keller, or Heightmeir would be great candidates to be a Homosexual or Bi sexual character. Alternatively, if they wanted a Gay character i could see the new apollo commander having a certain Bi sexual vibe worked in to the role without diminishing his role or status. I think socially, and therefore in terms of viewing collatoral a Lesbian character would be better for them, it tends to cause less of an issue, but i think any kind of character that portrayed a sexuality other than hetro would be a great addition and look fondly upon the Atlantis cast and crew for tackling and hopefully pulling off something of a risky pursuit character wise.

Immhotep
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by ladyjanus View Post
                        fears or foibles or phobias
                        That has nothing to do with it. Most people who are against homosexuality are against it because their beliefe system declares it immoral.

Please, don't try to belittle those of us against homosexuallity by calling us homophobic.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        I would take it up with God if he was real, which he obviously isn't.
                        In your opinion.

As for people not watching; well, there are plenty of reasons why people might not watch; doing things safely so that people aren't offended just stagnates a show.
                        The show can exciting and engaging without having a gay character. The gay agenda has gone too far when people label a show bland soley because it doesn't have a gay character.

Comment

Gay agenda?

I'm not saying the show's bland because it doesn't have a gay character; I'm saying the show will be bland if it doesn't take risks sometimes, and that risk could be in many forms, including adding a gay character.

But again, I want that character to be more-or-less normal, not someone that's there to boost ratings.

Comment

bring a gay character would be too much. Consider the fact it's mainly a US show
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              bring a gay character would be too much.
                              Too much?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                                I'm saying the show will be bland if it doesn't take risks sometimes
                                It's already taken risks.

Spoiler:
                                They replaced Ford with Ronan, made Beckett a regular and killed him off later on, and now they're replacing Weir with Carter. These aren't risks? Look at the Atlantis fans freaking out over the cast changes. The show takes plenty of risks.

Comment

Working...
                                X