Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...unday-dont-go/

January 22, 2017

Photos: The Brunch Burger, Suji

“The chef weighs like five hundred pounds and he loves it,”said our waitress in regard to The Brunch Burger which eschewed the boring old bun in favor of a powdered donut. I wasn’t sure whether her comment was meant as a recommendation or a warning, but I decided to place the order anyway. In the end, the burger patty was tasteless and the donut more savory than sweet. So much wasted potential. Akemi, meanwhile, opted for the fruit salad, the seemingly healthier option, that tasted “off” and, she is now convinced, upset her stomach.

Suji impatiently awaits her walky.

Links!

Check out podcasts and interviews featuring the likes of Star Trek, Star Wars, Alien, Doctor Strange and, er, yours truly: Kneel Before Blog

Firefly: 15 Similar Shows, Movies, And Comics You Should Check Out

The Morning Show interview with Anthony Lemke
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-37-of-91/

January 23, 2017

Photos: Suji, Dark Matter, Dorota Mitoraj, Xena, Phil Calambakas, Dave T. Sheridan

“She’s an emotional pooper,”said Akemi, by way of explaining Suji’s knack for, uh, dropping pebbles whenever she gets worked up and barksome.

I’m not a coffee guy but I’m thinking Suji might have the right idea here. I may need to take up the habit if I’m going to make it to the end of the season.

Sujiko’s instagram (NewOldPugSuji) is blowing up. She’ll probably hit 1000 followers by tomorrow and should eclipse my modest follower count by hiatus.

Now what did I intend to blog about today? I know it wasn’t dogs.

Oh, yeah! Dark Matter!

We took our show on the road today, deep into the wilds of the Dundas Valley Conservation Area for a little shooting, a little double-crossing, and a little heartbreaking. Not necessarily in that order.

To those of you asking – Nope, no one guessed correctly. The marvelous grand mystery prize is still up for grabs. To win, all you have to do is identify who utters the following dialogue in Dark Matter Episode 27:

“Being better is so much harder”

“The costs are always personal”

“Welcome home”

Behind the scenes:

Hmmm. SOMEONE is getting a new outfit – which would suggest we’ll be keeping this individual around a little longer…

Assistant Makeup Dorota Mitoraj and Xena.

B Dolly Grip Phil Calambakas and B Camera Operator Dave T. Sheridan.

Tomorrow, prep meetings in the morning, editing in the afternoon, and writing at night. It’s going to be a mad push to the hiatus!
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-38-of-91/

January 24, 2017

Photos: Noreen Landry, Dark Matter

Let’s get another Dark Matter fan Q&A rolling! Today, and for the rest of this week, I invited you to post comments for the awesome Noreen Landry, Dark Matter Costume Designer. She and her team have been responsible for outfits like these…

And many more!

If you’ve got a questions for Noreen, you know the drill. Post them in the comments section!

To those of you STILL wondering, no one has guessed the identities of the speakers to the three dialogue snippets I posted in yesterday’s entry. Here’s a hint: Two of the lines are spoken by crew members, the third by a recurring guest star.

Hey, how’s that Ferrous Corp shipyard coming along? Artist Henry Fong supplies the answer:
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-39-of-91/

January 25, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter, Suji

Tonight’s TO DO list:

Review Episode 301 Prod Cut

Review Episode 302 Prod Cut

Watch Episode 303 Prod Cut

Rewrite scene for Episode 306

Watch auditions and make casting selections for Episode 307

Generate new scene ideas for the Episode 307 script

Think about next scene for the Episode 309 script

Do a pass on the Episode 311 script

Think about Android thru-line for the Episode 312 script

Taxes

Sample Akemi’s latest bath of bourbon cookies

Blog entry

Ferrous Corp shipyard concept design by artist Henry Fong. Click on the pic for the full size glorious details.

The Ishida Research Station and Raza scaling c/o Craig Van Den Biggelaar

Suji, the bionic pug!

Okay. 1 down, 11 to go!
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-40-of-91/

January 26, 2017

Video: Airlock-venting test

Photos: Gail Harvey, Dark Matter, concept art

It would appear as though we’re creeping up to the halfway mark of the production schedule. The great thing about that is it puts as ever closer to the premiere. The bad thing about that, is that it puts as ever closer to the premiere – meaning we really need to hustle and get those scripts written, and those episodes shot, produced and delivered.

We took yet another step toward that today by diving into prep on Episode 307 and moving up prep on Episode 308 (to tomorrow!). So, while we’re double-prepping, director Gail Harvey was shooting Episode 306…

Meanwhile, over at the other studio, SPFX Coordinator Dylan Hankinson was running a little airlock-venting test:

In retrospect, I should have availed myself of the ear protection.

To those of you wondering – Nope, no one has correctly guessed the identities of the three speakers. Feel free to guess away but you’ll have a chance to incorrectly guess a trio of new dialogue snippets next week when I reveal the potential titles for Episode 302!

Also, if you have questions for Dark Matter Costume Designer Noreen Landry, post them in the comments section. I know she’d love to hear from you!

Usually, the Raza mess hall triptych is adorned with various nature scenes, from wheat fields to winter landscapes to swimming fish. Occasionally, Playback Operator Greg Whiteside will regale us with a surprise morning triptych, like Family Guy Star Wars, 2001, or the original Star Trek. The other day, I asked if he took requests. And, apparently, he does. One of my personal faves!

A closer looks at the amazing concept art of Henry Fong. Who is pictured and what is going on? Guesses?
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-41-of-91/

January 27, 2017

Video: Mikkei Mainfest

Photos: Grant Boyle, George, Dark Matter, Suji

1st Assistant Director Grant Boyle and his buddy, the surprisingly elusive George, were in the production offices, prepping episode 307.

The Art Department design for my new office nap bed.

My new belt buckle, compliments of 1st Assistant Art Director Roxanne Borris.

Hey, Mikkei, what’s in the box? Only (1st Assistant Art Director) Sumeet Vats and (2nd Assistant Art Director) Victor Mare know for sure.

I got 6 tickets for tonight’s on set 50/50 draw. If I win, I’m quitting, skipping tomorrow’s Saturday shoot, and moving to Tokyo!

The Hungry Suji-pillar!
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-42-of-91/

January 28, 2017

Photos: Donuts, Jodelle Ferland, Gail Harvey, Josh Gray, Zoie Palmer, Lulu, Bubba, Suji

No, seriously. I realize today was Saturday, but we were on set anyway, shooting 2nd unit Day #1 of our latest episode under the direction of the wonderful Gail Harvey. Anthony Lemke (THREE) made it all worthwhile by surprising us with three boxes of donuts!

Jodelle Ferland (FIVE) was gunning for trouble on a day that featured not one but two surprise take-downs, some emotional farewells, and a surprising kiss.

Jodelle with director Gail Harvey.

Inside the Actors 1st Assistant Director’s Studio with your host Josh Gray.

Zoie Palmer has director Gail Harvey in a headlock. It’s Zoie’s signature move, second only to her finishing move: The Dragon Screw Neck Whip.

Huzzah! I finally broke through that top-of-third-act writer’s block thanks to: 1) Script Coordinator Alison Hepburn’s input and 2) The news that Paul wouldn’t be able to take over and the script preps in a little over a week. If we’re describing Episode 304 as “bananas”, then I suppose this one can be termed “coconuts”.

Tomorrow = A day off! I’ll spend it running errands, writing that script, and trying to figure out how to pay this tax instalment.

Meanwhile, back on the home front…
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nuary-29-2017/

January 29, 2017

Video: Suji eats peanut butter

Suji eats peanut butter. And loves it!

I’ve managed all 0 pages in the last 24 hours, putting me on pace to complete this script…never. Which kind of puts a damper on things as the episode is scheduled to prep in a little over a week and I just know everyone else on the production was kind of looking forward to it. As I was telling my buddy (and Dark Matter Co-Executive Producer Ivon Bartok), I kind of feel like I’m performing a high-wire juggling act without a net. I pulled it off on Episode 304, sitting down to a script with the loosest of outlines and having it all come together in my head over the course of day that saw me produce an astounding 32 pages! I embraced the premise of this latest script because it’s tonally similar to 304, assuming I’d catch creative fire at some point but, alas, it hasn’t happened yet. And as I pass the halfway mark and head into Act 4 where all those set-ups are supposed to start paying off, I’m still scrambling.

Every time I sit down to write a script, it never fails. There’ll come a point in the script where I’ll grind to a halt and think “This is the one, the one where the solution won’t strike me out of the blue like some religious epiphany. What will I do then?!!

My gut tells me that the key to the puzzle, the heart of the story, lies in the kid’s thru-line. But what’s the missing link?

Incidentally, if you have any idea, just post it in the comments section and save me the aggravation.

Once this script is done, I can look forward to a hard-earned hiatus – and that penultimate episode that sees a spillage of not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE sensational secrets. Thought you knew everything there was to know about our crew? Well, prepare to be surprised.

Okay, back to the script. Maybe, if I can power through this third act tonight, it will all come together tomorrow morning. And, after that, dare I say it? Smoooooooth sailing?
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-42-of-91/

January 30, 2017

Photos: Alison Hepburn, Ivon Bartok, Elliot Sokolsky, Craig Wright, Gail Harvey, Amy Matysio, Lara Arabia, Amber Goldfarb, Michael Rhoades, Suji, braised lotus root in soy sauce

While I was sequestered in the Production Offices writing, sitting in on the VFX and Playback meeting, and trying to figure out a way to fit a square peg (Episode 308) in a round hole (the Episode 308 production schedule) Alison, Ivon, and Elliot were back at the other studio having a blast. Trust me. Behind those dust masks are the HUGEST smiles. Picture courtesy of Jozie Conte.

After yesterday’s kvetching, I’m pleased to report significant progress on the script front. Special thanks once again go out to Alison Hepburn who offered up a terrific visual idea – inspiring me to tear through 5 full script pages so that I could finally get to it. She’s got some pretty funny ideas – both “haha” and strange.

Director of Photography Craig Wright finds his light.

Director Gail Harvey calls the shots.

Reminds me of the summer camp I went to when I was a kid. The kid who slept in the bunk above me was nicknamed Monkey and ate styrofoam cups on a dare. Ah, the follies of youth.

Amy Matysio as Lieutenant Vara.

Lara Arabia, Amber Goldfarb, Michael Rhoades and other passengers bound for parts unknown.

Suji in her oversized earmuffs.

I have a feeling tomorrow’s going to be a BIG writing day. If I can power through this fourth act, it’ll be smoooooth sailing.

As soon as I figure out what’s going to happen in the fifth act.

In case you were thinking about it, this was not good. Note the mother chortling away at the thought of her kid eating it.
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-43-of-91/

January 31, 2017

Photos: Texts with Zoie

I like to keep an open line of communication with my cast. I want them to know that they can come to me with any issues they have, creative or otherwise. I’m always here for them, willing to lend a sympathetic ear and, in some cases, equally sympathetic keyboard should the need ever arise for a little dialogue tweak or character adjustment.

Of course, I assume this is a two-way street, and nowhere is this more evident than in my professional relationship with actress Zoie Palmer (the Android). I probably exchange more texts with Zoie than I do anyone, including my girlfriend, which is great because – as I said – it’s important to keep those lines of communications open whether it be to discuss a line change, a scene request, or that really weird dream I had the other night where Zoie jumped into a frozen lake…

Pretty amazing insight into the magic of the creative process, amiright?

Ah, showbiz!
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-45-of-91/

February 1, 2017

Videos: Spark tests with SPFX Coordinator Dylan Hankinson

Small spark test with SPFX Coordinator Dylan Hankinson

Medium spark test with SPFX Coordinator Dylan Hankinson

Big spark test with SPFX Coordinator Dylan Hankinson
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-45-of-91/

February 2, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter, Zoie Palmer, Suji

So, who can identify this gorgeous piece of architecture?

Zoie Palmer as The Android.

The medical table design.

Mikkei Combine office supplies.

Missile delivery!

What the hey? Suji is an instagram star. Today, she eclipsed my follower count! And it took her less than two months to do it!
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-46-of-91/

February 3, 2017

Video: Raza bridge spark test

Photos: Dark Matter, Suji

Holy crap! We’re over the halfway mark of the season 3 production schedule! Do you know what this means?!

DO YOU?!!!

Uh, yes. That’s correct. It means we’re a little over halfway done shooting Dark Matter’s third season!

I await director J.B. Sugar’s cut of Episode 305 while director Gail Harvey heads into editing to work on her Episode 306 while director Paul Day oversees the action on Episode 307 while director John Stead preps Episode 308 while Paul and I scramble to get the script for Episode 309 written.

Tomorrow, YOU all get to vote on an new episode title! Tentatively titled Episode 302, you’ll have the chance to select an official episode title from three glorious choices (and actual lines of dialogue from the episode in question). This is going to be a tough one – for me as I have six pretty memorable lines that I’ll have to whittle down to three for the poll. Wish me luck!

Your first glimpse at the structure for the Ferrous Corp lab. And concept…

Would just like to say Production Designer Ian Brock and the Dark Matter Art and Construction departments have been delivering some truly amazing sets this season. This has been their best year yet and there’s still more to come!

Super premium Dark Matter Android action figure in mint condition. $1,955.99 (photo by Grant Boyle)

Slightly used Dark Matter Chris Toudy with Kung Fu (Key) Grip action figure in fair condition. Best offer (photo by Grant Boyle)

Raza bridge spark test with SPFX Coordinator Dylan Hankinson

Suji carries her treats back from the dog shop in her backpack.

The Superbowl is only days away. Weigh in with your prediction!
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...episode-title/

February 4, 2017

Video: Suji

Photo: Dark Matter

I’ve always hated coming up with episode titles, but this little exercise in fan democracy has turned out to be all sorts of fun. Once again, you’ll have the opportunity to choose from among three possible candidates. So far, this season, we have –

“Episode 27: Being Better Is So Much Harder”

What’s next? You decide…

As promised, the answer to last episode’s Who Said It?

“Welcome Back” – The Android

“The Costs Are Always Personal” – Commander Truffault

“Being Better Is So Much Harder” – TWO

So this blast-from-the-past pic adorned the triptych of The Raza mess the other morning, compliments of playback operator Greg Whiteside. Ah, this takes me back. There were rumors a few years ago of a planned a reimagining, tentatively titled Space 2099, but I haven’t heard anything since. Hey, ITV Studios America, get in touch!

Hey, someone asked me about that military SF series I mentioned a few months back. Well, there have been some very interesting developments on that front. Way too soon to early anything as these things have a way of doing a fast dissolve, but there are flickers of interest from some heavy hitters.

I am cautiously optimistic, reminiscent of my mood five years ago when I was trying to set up another project. Remember? https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-developments/

Suji in “Kisses Coming Your Way”
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ing-directors/

February 5, 2017

Photos: World Sports, Little Heaven by Nick Cutter, Paul Day, John Stead

I jumped ahead in time to watch today’s Superbowl, then jumped back in time to write this blog entry so that I can watch the actual game with friends without having to worry about it. And so, if you’re planning to watch, please ignore the above newspaper article from the future as the headline and article as it contains spoilers.

My last great read was the latest release from my favorite horror writer, Nick Cutter (aka award-winning author Craig Davidson) whose works in the genre include the equally terrific The Troop and The Deep.

Here’s the thing – his horror fiction is unnerving, at times deeply unsettling, but always thoroughly engrossing because it’s so damn well written. I recall The Troop a couple of years ago and, some thirty pages in, remarking: “This book has no business being this good. Who IS this guy?”. His stuff is the Yamazaki 18 year old whiskey of the genre, not just because his prose sings or his stories are scary as hell, but because his characters are so damn memorable.

Little Heaven

“From electrifying horror author Nick Cutter comes a haunting new novel, reminiscent of Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian and Stephen King’s It, in which a trio of mismatched mercenaries is hired by a young woman for a deceptively simple task: check in on her nephew, who may have been taken against his will to a remote New Mexico backwoods settlement called Little Heaven. Shortly after they arrive, things begin to turn ominous. Stirrings in the woods and over the treetops—the brooding shape of a monolith known as the Black Rock casts its terrible pall. Paranoia and distrust grips the settlement. The escape routes are gradually cut off as events spiral towards madness. Hell—or the closest thing to it—invades Little Heaven. The remaining occupants are forced to take a stand and fight back, but whatever has cast its dark eye on Little Heaven is now marshaling its powers…and it wants them all.”

Well, back at it tomorrow as production on Episode 307 resumes with director Paul Day at the helm and prep on Episode 308 continues with director John Stead overseeing the action…

Paul Day sits down for a casual chat about the next scene.

While John Stead prefers a different approach.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X