Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...g-the-android/

December 11, 2016

Photos: Texts, Dark Matter, Zoie Palmer, Alex Mallari Jr.

The other day, I received the following text from actress Zoie Palmer:

And she was right. It WAS like sharing with her the single greatest thing about bringing a child into this world: coming up with a name for it. Except that instead of having 9 months to do it, we have 9 episodes, and instead of some kid, it’s our Android we’re naming.

I say OUR because the development of Dark Matter’s Android has truly been a collaborative process with the actress playing her. I’ll pitch Zoie our plans for the character and she’ll also throw ideas my way – suggestions, requests, flashes of inspiration – occasionally when I see her at work but mostly via the texts she sends my way while I’m in the office, or out and about, or lying in bed about to drift off into sweet, sweet dreamland. And, every so often, those messages have a way of, uh, veering off topic. Some of my recent favorites include:

And –

AND –

Note: Those blanks in the final text were, of course, a few of the names we’re considering for our lovable Android. And we’ll be keeping them under wraps…for now.

However, if you’re curious, some of the names that didn’t make the final cut and are no longer under consideration include:

ALICE

SAMANTHA

DESDEMONA

CLARA

MARNIE

ELLIE

CALL

DEE

EVANS

ALOYSIA

DESTINY

CHACHACHA

LOYLOY (Like the panda!)

ZOIE

But fear not. We’ve got a half dozen solid candidates in contention.

Hey, the other day, someone on reddit mentioned they were thinking of getting a Dark Matter-inspired tattoo and floated the possibility of going with the Android’s barcode. I provide it for you here, via the marvellous Roxanne Borris, who designed it for the show, in the event you’re considering following suit.

She also created one for Wendy the android from Episode 107:

And a couple of the androids in Episode 204 (“We Were Family”) including one for the mysterious Victor:

So, what’s in store for our Android in season 3? Well, besides a few shocking revelations, undercover ops, ass-kicking sequences, inspired fashion choices, and flashes of her unique sense of humor…you’ll have to wait and see.

Our Android and Ryo Ishida in happier times.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-17-of-91/

December 12, 2016

Video: Lulu, Bubba

Photos: Drew Williams, Rachelle Audet, Dark Matter, Brad Wetherly, Jodelle Ferland, Suji, Bubba

Boy, I’m not one to get all emotional, but Facebook 2016’s Year in Review video really took me back –

To last month when I uploaded most of those photos.

Ah, I remember that cast dinner like it was November. And that random photo of Roger Cross I uploaded to accompany his Q&A less than a week ago really stirs those distant memories. And that shot I took seven days ago of actress Torri Higginson (Dark Matter’s Commander Truffault) giving the camera both barrels. Time flies like an arrow, shot into a target from two feet away…

Remembrances of things past drift by as elusive and fleeting as a child’s cigar smoke, instances from a time long ago… November 26th – Akemi and Jodelle sitting at the chocolate shop, November 28th – Director Bruce McDonald sitting in a prep meeting for the episode he’s presently shooting, November 15th (!) – Jodelle in my office! It’s like seeing your entire life flash before your eyes, provided you’re a month old infant.

But I can’t get hung on the past. After all, I’ve got a show to make!

Testing, testing, one, two, three! Drew Williams and Rachelle Audet with the early morning sound check.

It’s the new-look airlock for the Ishida research station.

Right through these doors, adventure awaits!

At this point, do you even need to be told?

Script Supervisor Brad Wetherly follows up Friday’s suit and tie look with Monday’s Mickey Mouse Club look.

It is COLD in our second stage. How cold? So cold that street urchins come in off the streets to warm themselves by our tiny heaters.

Remember the mag-lev concept?

Well here it is in all of its beatdown glory. Wait until you see it in action!

Thanks to everyone who inquired about Suji. As we suspected, she was suffering from a bladder infection but is now on antibiotics and has improved considerably.

Bath time! Whereas Bubba and Lulu do the tub, Suji is more of a kitchen sink bather.

Her after-bath outfit. Toasty warm.

On Sunday, she and Bubba went out for a stroll – first to the park, then by the pet shop for some browsing.

Ironically, our sole purchase was for Lulu. New boots! Lookit her go!

Graceful, no?

When Suji’s tired, she’ll simply burrow under a blanket and go to sleep. Lights out!

Poor Bubba. Now there’s one more girl in the house to boss him around.

This is your last chance to get your questions in for Dark Matter director Ron Murphy! Any questions submitted after midnight tonight will be subject to heavy fines and penalties.
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-18-of-91/

December 13, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Bruce McDonald, Ivon Bartok, Ross Hull, Joe Mallozzi, Robbie, Anita, concept art

Two units going today. While Co-Executive Producer Ivon Bartok was overseeing the action over at the Ishida Research Facility, I was catching a glimpse of the future over on The Raza…

The Ishida Research Facility central lab. Let’s go take a look inside…

The heart of the station.

Karl’s robot arm in action.

Test subjects for the first experimental round.

Director Bruce McDonald is out of control!

The janitorial staff works overtime at the Ishida Research Facility.

Galactic News Network anchor Ross Hull delivers the news of the day.

And, on the lighter side of the news, it’s all-out intergalactic corporate war!

I informed Ross that after he was done, I’d take a shot – and then decide later which version I preferred.

GNN projects General Zod will lose the general election.

Robbie, Ross, and yours truly. A Student Bodies reunion! Minus Robbie.

Anita gets to work on my new ties!!!

Concept artist Henry Fong offers up some early versions of that Ferrous Corp shipyard.
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-19-of-91/

December 14, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Suji, Bubba

I was awakened at 5 a.m. this morning by what sounded like Akemi vacuuming downstairs.

That’s because Akemi WAS vacuuming downstairs. At 5 a.m. this morning!

I’m not sure how they do things in Japan, but here in Canada…

Toronto’s in the deep freeze – and it’s just going to get colder. Today, our tech survey took us to Hamilton where, incredibly, it’s actually colder INSIDE our prospective location than it is outside. At one point, I honestly wondered if someone had accidentally left the air conditioner on full blast.

The archway into the Traugott garrison.

Building the metal doors.

The secret ingredient is…styrofoam?

Meanwhile, on set…

This does NOT bode well for our guest star.

“I get so excited for blood.” – Lynda McCormack, Key Makeup (December 14, 2016)

The mile deep core shaft. Just toss your coins in and make a wish.

Playback – generic and hero!

Official Ishida issue warning stickers.

Kudos to Production Designer Ian Brock and the art department for building what is probably our most SF set to date.

Corridor column. As always, it’s all in the details.

That new 3D printer sure has come in handy.

Check out the new shirt Akemi picked up for Suji. Our new (old) gal has turned into quite the bossy boots, barking up a storm whenever a stranger comes through the door, and bullying poor Bubba. She’ll waddle over to where he’s sleeping and bark until he wakes up and changes his sleeping spot, then waddle over and repeat the process, forcing him to play musical dog beds. She also does NOT like it when Akemi has Bubba on her lap, barking in outrage while our deaf old boy snoozes on, unaware.
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-20-of-91/

December 15, 2016

Photos: Alerts for Toronto, Dark Matter, Craig, Andrew Jackson, Anita O’Tooler, Akemi, Bubba. Suji, Lulu

“Motorists should consider postponing non-essential travel…” Is going home considered non-essential?

Should be interesting. We have a little over an hour before wrap and waze is already telling me it’s going to take me a while to get home. A while that’s going to get even whilier as the snowstorm continues to rage. Melissa is already suggesting we all camp out in the cafeteria for the night. Why chance it?

A little something for Episode 303 from the Art Department.

Craig, our Head Carpenter, keeping busy. Although, granted, he doesn’t look that busy right at this moment.

Hey, look, it’s The General (played by Andrew Jackson). Haven’t seen him since season 1. Wonder what he’s up to?

Head Cutter Anita O’Tooler made me this awesome tie. I’m wearing it tomorrow! Prepare to be amazed.

My mom asks: “What does Akemi do all day?”. Well, in Toronto in the winter, she spends most of it trying to get the dogs dressed up for their walks. That’s socks, boots, rubbers, jackets, hats, collars, and leashes X 3! It’s a full-time job.

Suji (Sister Ursula) four layers deep.

Bubba and Lulu feeling the Christmas spirit.
            sigpic

Comment

His blog has some interesting stuff to be sure

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-21-of-91/

December 16, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Norman Denver, the Dark Matter whisky club, Suji

And that’s a wrap on Dark Matter 2016! We capped off production with a tri-episode three director extravaganza.

Steve DiMarco kicked things off with a pursuit through ethereal environs. But who’s chasing who? The answers will shock. Then it was John Stead getting the last few scenes from our season 3 opener. And, finally, Bruce McDonald completed the day – and Episode 302 – with a some big time trouble on the Marauder.

While all this was happening on set, I was back at the office, taking in the Episode 303 production meeting (full steam ahead!), a notes session (hmmmmmm), a budget update meeting (so far, so good), and then a sit-down with Episode 303 (former “I’ve Seen The Other Side Of You”) director Steve DiMarco. Over the course of most of the afternoon – and several rounds of Nikka Coffey whisky – we discussed his upcoming episode, the film and television industry, memorable experiences in the trenches, and surprisingly similar musical affinities for the works of Ministry and The Prodigy.

Love the guy.

Hey, it’s our production Christmas gift courtesy of Jay Firestone and Prodigy Pictures: a warm hat for those cold location shooting days, some hot chocolate from SOMA, and a festive card depicting The Raza subbing in for Santa’s sleigh.

Today, I wore my new tie compliments of Anita in wardrobe who actually took the time to make it!

Line Producer Norman Denver shows off his team colors – Everton! It’s funny. I thought for sure the sorting hat would have put him in Hufflepuff.

The Dark Matter whiskey/y club convenes for its final 2016 gathering. Kanpai!

Okay, I’ve got two days to finish my Christmas shopping, run all of my errands, and prep for the drive to Montreal. What podcasts should I download for the 4-5 hour drive? Suggestions?
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-enters-rehab/

December 17, 2016

Videos: Suji, Joe Mallozzi

Photos: Suji

Yes, years of hard living have taken their toll. So, today, Suji entered rehab…

First, a little test of those gimpy hindquarters. Yes, they’re weak and she suffers from hip dysplasia, but she can really motor when she gets up a full head of steam.

Into the tank for her hydrotherapy session. The handle atop her little red life vest gave her the appearance of pug luggage.

Off to a slow start but, by the end of the session, she was positively motoring.

Then, it was time for her laser therapy.

Doggles? Check!

We concluded things with her daily carpet run.
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...i-and-secrets/

December 18, 2016

Photos: Bubba, Lulu, Suji, Alex Mallari Jr.

In a matter of days, we’ll be in Montreal and my mother’s house will come alive with the pitter patter of little paws – roughly thirty-two in all not counting the feline variety. In preparation, we’re shopping, gift-wrapping, packing, and bathing…

Suji deserved the spa treatment after a thoroughly exhausting afternoon at Trinity Bellwoods Park for the monthly pug grumble. Last month, the turnout was good with approximately thirty pugs showing. Today’s turnout was…er…significantly less so. The bone chilling weather may have had something to do with it.

Despite being bundled up, Suji has some second thoughts about this Canadian winter. Pictured above, this is her “Get me back to that warm barn in Portland!” face.

Double-bundled for her enjoyment – and yours!

So, tomorrow, we’ll load up the car with gifts, windshield washer fluid, and that outline for my next script. The plan is to celebrate Christmas with the family AND get two acts into my new script. Secrets will be revealed. And some characters are going to wish they hadn’t been.

The man with all the secrets.
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ter-than-this/

December 19, 2016

Photos: The Big Apple Christmas Caper, Flying Rhino Junior High, Student Bodies, Stargate: SG-1, Dark Matter

I started my writing career in animation, After several years of freelancing, I landed a full time job as the Manager of Animation Development at a local studio in Montreal. My 9 to 5 duties covered all aspects of the internal creative and, over the course of my time there, I developed such shows as Animal Crackers, Mona the Vampire, Paddington Bear, and Caillou. I also continued my freelance scriptwriting in my off-hours AND story-edited several (of the aforementioned) shows. I was happy and, at the time, thought “It can’t get any better than this.”

I eventually left the security of my 9 to 5 job for the feast or famine world of full time freelancing. I continued to write scripts and story-edit, shifting focus from that local studio to some of the bigger animation guns, eventually lending my services to the CBS Saturday morning line-up. I made my own hours, worked at my own pace and, more importantly, made better money. “Okay, now,”I thought, “it can’t get any better than this.”

I eventually transitioned from animation to live action, partnering with my long-time friend, Paul Mullie, and landing a staff position on a teen sitcom called Student Bodies. We shot in an abandoned school and wrote in our enormous office, a carpeted former classroom. One day, the show’s creators asked us if we needed anything. I jokingly suggested an air hockey table. Well, the following week, an air hockey table was written into an episode and, once said episode was shot, that air hockey table found a permanent home in our office. It was a pretty sweet gig and, at time time, I was pretty damn sure “It can’t get any better than this.”

And then, we ended up on Stargate and spent 12 incredible years writing and producing one of the most successful franchises in scifi television history. Paul and I worked our way up from co-producers to showrunners and had a hell of a lot of fun along the way. Even though the shows had their challenges, we enjoyed going to work every day and enjoyed the company of the people we worked with. Judging from everything we’d heard about the many other productions out there, we knew we were very lucky and I had no doubt then that my time on Stargate would be next to impossible to top. “It can’t get any better than this,”I assumed for presumably the last time.

Then, two years later, Dark Matter comes along. Three season in, it reminds me a lot of my time on Stargate – fun, fulfilling, and very rewarding with the added bonus that it happens to be MY show. Surely, it can’t get any better than this.

But who knows?
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ontreal-bound/

December 20, 2016

Video: MYM Buzz - Dark Matter’s Jodelle Ferland (Five)

It’s a travel day. This morning, we embarked on a 5 hour(ish) journey back to 1976 – aka mom’s house in Montreal, one of the last internet-free zones in the civilized world. Not sure what the deal is. I offered to pay for a basic service package but she refused, presumably because it’s too expensive. Not as expensive as hotspotting through my phone and using 3G to update this blog, but whatever.

Anyway, here are a couple of Dark Matter-related tidbits to tide you over…

I sit down and chat season 3 with Geektown’s Michael Simpson:

Joe Mallozzi Hints that Dark Matter’s Third Season Will Take the Show Where it Has Never Gone Before

Jodelle Ferland (Dark Matter’s FIVE) talks season 3 with MYM Buzz…

In preparation for my retirement in a couple of years once Dark Matter wraps its fifth and final season, I just purchased digital copies of Uncanny X-Men #1-544. They’re on sale over at Comixology: Uncanny X-Men Sale!
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ember-21-2016/

December 21, 2016

Photo: Joe Mallozzi

A shout-out today to one of Dark Matter’s unsung heroes heroines, script coordinator Alison Hepburn who came through, yet again, with a terrific backstory idea for the show’s third season. Alison has a great scifi mind and she has become my go-to-gal whenever I’m looking to spin ideas – or in need of one. Like, for instance, this morning when she emailed me a terrific reveal for the end of the episode I’m currently working on, a dark little secret that ties in neatly with what we’ve set up to date. It comes on the heels of another great character revelation she came up with, this one for FIVE, that will be coming your way in Episode 302. But wait! There’s more! On the strength of a great pilot script she sent me last year, Alison landed representation with my agent AND got herself a script assignment for this coming season. Wondering who traveled over from the Alt Universe at the end of “Stuff To Steal, People To Kill”? All will be revealed in Episode 306, compliments of Ms. Hepburn.

Hey, you know what I hate more than driving around looking for parking? More than getting stuck behind shoppers who park their giant carts in the middle of the aisles? Even more than not being able to buy a couple of hamburger buns because they only come in enormous two-dozen packages?

Yes, the only thing I hate more than those three things individually is experiencing all three of those things combined. I’m talking about shopping at Costco.

Today, we helped my mother re-stock her bomb shelter with everything from raw almonds to bleach. When the zombie uprising happens, we’ll be heart healthy and our shirts will be whiter than white!

An action shot of me enjoying the Costco Experience…

So, how are y’all enjoying the holidays? Eating anything or anywhere special? Last night, I plucked a jar of diced peppers out of my mother’s fridg. Mom warned me they were hot and, while I appreciated the heads up, I dismissed her concern and popped a generous forkful into my mouth. After all, mom rarely makes anything overly spicy and grocery shop peppers don’t pack THAT much of a punch. Only, it turned out mom didn’t make them; my sister did. And she didn’t use grocery shop peppers. She used her homegrown ghost chili peppers.

24 hours later, I still feel kind of dizzy.
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ied-de-cochon/

December 22, 2016

Photos: Joe's sister, Daisy, dinner at Au Pied de Cochon, Joe, Akemi

It’s a (Joe) Mallozzi Christmas tradition! Dinner at one of my favorite restaurants – Au Pied de Cochon – with my sister and Daisy.

But beware! It’s not for the fainthearted!

Akemi and I being affectionate.

Les cromesquis – deep-fried morsels bursting with liquid foie gras.

And, for Akemi – the mackerel.

The French onion soup – which was unlike any other French onion soup I’d ever had, highlighted by some incredibly delicious smoked sausage.

The roasted bone marrow with caviar – the only miss of the night. The marrow could have used another five minutes in the oven.

The beef temake tartare topped with quail eggs. I ate the top (beef, toppings) and Akemi had the bottom (rice and nori wrap).

Charcuterie and foie pizza with ricotta and whipped mascarpone – my favorite of the night.

The stuffed pig’s trotters with foie and whipped mash. Another fave.

For dessert, the super-chocolatey chocolate tart.

And, of course, the classic pouding chomeur.

Tomorrow, it’s Smoked Meat Pete and Bistro 75.

And in January, I am back on the program!
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...i-mean-really/

December 23, 2016

Video: Lulu

Photos: Joe's mom, Joe's sister, lunch at Smoked Meat Pete

I have a plan. I’ve had one from the day we started production on Dark Matter’s first episode, a plan that spans five 13-episode seasons and includes character and story arcs with beginnings, middles, and endings. I know exactly where we’re going and knowing in advance allows us the all-too-rare opportunity to sprinkle our narrative with clues, little hints of what’s to come that will pay off along the way. Small adjustments are inevitable, but the big picture story and pay-offs remain in play. And it hasn’t always been easy. Sure, there are the expected production demands – the writing, the prepping, the editing, the various other duties, and the long, long hours, but then there are the unexpected curveballs that come at you from people who really should know ****ing better, those square peg in round hole annoyances that crop up every so often and leave a lot of people shaking their heads in dismay. I mean, really?

On the bright side, series co-creator Paul Mullie delivered a great pass on the latest script. We are flying! Episode 305 already preps when we get back on January 3rd!

No time to stop the production train for lollygaggers. If you can’t keep up, catch a flight and we’ll meet you at the next station!

Meanwhile…

Lunch with sis and mom at Smoked Meat Pete.

Every time I visit, I always make it a point to hit Pete’s for the best smoked meat in town. Their fries aint too shabby either.

And, while we ate sandwiches, Lulu had lobster…

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular Debra.
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ore-christmas/

December 24, 2016

Photos: Lawrence, Mel, Bubba, Lulu, Suji, Akemi

Last night, Akemi and I enjoyed dinner with some thoroughly charming company.

Also, the guy she married.

Yes, we had dinner with my old high school friend, Lawrence (a.k.a. Buddy) and his better half, Mel (a.k.a. Mrs. Buddy). We enjoyed drinks, jerk wings, hilarity (of course) and a double order of chocolate-espresso mousse.

Then today, I set aside a couple of hours to watch Ron Murphy’s director’s cut of our season opener. Hoowee! A LOT going on in this one.

I leave you with…Christmas Dogs!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X