Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...hostly-images/

November 27, 2016

Photos: Snow monkey, lunch at Rasta Pasta, dogs

Holy Macaroni! Is this possible? Could this be? The faintest glimmer of hope on my fantasy football horizon? Could my cellar-dwelling Snow Monkeys actually win this week and, alongside Ivon Bartok’s Running Dead, be in a position to sneak into the playoffs next week with a win (coupled with a win by the Running Dead, and losses by the Landsharks, Clueless, and Desean’s Dedouche)? Let’s stay positive people!!!

Today, Akemi and I hit Kensington Market for lunch at Rasta Pasta. Last week, it was the jerk chicken panini. This week, it was the oxtail with broadbeans and cole slaw. Then, we came across a tiny coffee shop – Little Pebbles – where we sat down to lattes and matcha-themed desserts.

This afternoon, we packed up our two dogs and our one Jodelle and headed over to Trinity Bellwood Park for the monthly pug meet-up. Lulu spent most of her time sucking up to the various dog owners and lagging three feet behind any dog with a ball while Bubba simply wandered about, bewildered, until Akemi picked him up.

Whoa, spooky! Jodelle sent me this old 1970’s-circa photo of a girl and her dog who look exactly like Akemi and Bubba!
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-7-of-91/

November 28, 2016

Photos: Bruce McDonald, Chris Binney, Robbie David, Ian Brock, Dark Matter, Lawren Bancroft-Wilson, Matt, Chris, whisky, Joe Mallozzi, Bubba

Today, we started prep on Episode 302!

Director Bruce McDonald is back in the saddle – flanked by desperadoes Chris Binney and Robbie David.

Production Designer Ian Brock gives us a guided tour of the new sets-in-progress.

Bruce hangs out in the tech room (and possible future cargo hold?).

You shall not pass!!!

Our “heavenly” room is coming along nicely.

VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson checks out the new digs.

Good news! Work is almost complete on the alien toilet!

Matt and Chris make an addition to the Dark Matter Whiky/ey Club.

And my contribution to the lunch room.

Ivon picked me up a container of golden turmeric which he swears by. He says it goes great with a morning shake. You know what it doesn’t go great with? The greek yogurt and granola Akemi made me for snack.

Akemi sent me this photo of the new outfit she bought Bubba. After seeing it, Ivon threatened to report us.
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-8-of-91/

November 29, 2016

Photos: Jay Firestone, Ron Murphy, Jesse, Dark Matter

What does an Executive Producer do? Well, in the case of Jay Firestone, he sells a show, puts together the financing, then helps craft the creative.

Director Ron Murphy getting it done in the infirmary.

Jesse stands in for the upright stand and monitors.

Temperature control in the containment chamber.

Inoculation tool of the future. Cool salt shaker of the present.

Ishida research station – textures and color.

Mebbe.
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-9-of-91/

November 30, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter prep meetings, Dark Matter, Lawren Bancroft-Wilson, Dark Matter set

Day 9 of 91! Holy crap! We’re practically 10% done on Dark Matter’s third season. And I’m not yet 50% done on its scripts. Help me, Obi-Wan. You’re my only hope!

When I’m not writing scripts (or eating or sleeping), I’m in prep meetings for Episode 302 with director Bruce Mcdonald et al.

Today, we enjoyed the Stunts & Special Effects/Visual Effects/Art Department trifecta! Topics of discussion included, but were not limited to: holo-tablets, drones, green power bars, explosions, and tasty tasty candy glass.

Discussing those early sets and location builds. Looks like we’ll be headed to lovely Kitchener. Road trip!

The neural link device, last seen in Episode 211.

The Blink Drive and adapter – last seen being whisked away in Episode 213.

Concept art for the mag-lev. See the real thing in action in Episode 302.

VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson shows off an early prototype of the holo-tablet.

Another little something from the art department and their new 3D printer. Once it’s painted and complete, you won’t even recognize it! Note Props Master Victor Klein’s futile attempt to duck out of camera range in the BG.

Meanwhile, today, on set…

Hey! It’s snowing!
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-10-of-91/

December 1, 2016

Photos: Jozie, Bruce McDonald, Dark Matter playback meeting, Dark Matter sketches, dog

We are wrapped(ish!) on Episode 304 and have started production on Episode 301. By the time New Year’s rolls around, we’ll have three episodes in the can(ish!).

Today, we were shooting in the bridge and the infirmary – while prep continued on Episode 302. AND we got a pizza truck! While I was outside perusing the selections (Buffalo chicken = winner!) Liz from costumes approached me about something that was really bugging her. Were we ever going to address that thing that happened at the end of Episode 304? Puleeze! It’s all part of the masterplan. When I told her about Episode 308, she was positively giddy.

Jozie models some kitchenware. No. Really.

Director Bruce McDonald powers up in his office.

The playback meeting. Lots of onscreen graphics in this one. Overriding note: “Let’s take down the purple!”.

Sketch from the costume department. There’s a new sheriff in town.

Another costume department sketch. The white glove treatment.

In case you were wondering – this end up!

A HUGE thank you to Drea and everyone who organized my 10th Anniversary gift. I am overwhelmed with gratitude. It will take me until this weekend to digest. Stay tuned!

Guess who’s flying in tomorrow?
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...uiz-ian-brock/

December 2, 2016

Photos: Ian Brock, Dark Matter, Bruce McDonald, Suji, Ann, Josh

Pictured above: Production Designer Ian Brock – mastermind of the Dark Matter art department and everything from The Raza’s to Hyperion-8 to the Ishida Research Facility…and so much more. Under Ian’s guidance, our art department has been tearing it up (figuratively speaking) in season 3 and, with so much going on, I thought it would be the perfect time to put EVEN MORE on Ian’s plate by arranging this little blog Q&A. So, yes, if you have questions for the guy who designed those awesome Raza corridors, EOS-7 airlocks, and Traugott armored assault vehicle (Oh, I get ahead of myself) – post them in the comments section. You have until this Tuesday night!

What’s in the works over at Studio 2? Looks like the early makings of an alien terrain.

That mag-lev platform is almost there…

When last we saw the Blink Drive, it was being whisked away by Ryo Ishida.

Robotic arm design by 1st Assistant Art Director/Set Designer Karl Crosby.

Episode 303 tone meeting with Director Bruce McDonald and Co-Exeuctive Producer Ivon Bartok.

Meanwhile, on set…

And, while all that was going on, THIS also happened today…

Suji has landed!

Thanks to Ann and Josh for flying her in. On the Marauder no less!
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...roducing-suji/

December 3, 2016

Video: Akemi, Suji

Photos: Suji, Akemi, Bubba, Lulu, Jodelle Ferland, Joe Mallozzi

Yesterday was the day! Akemi and I went down to Toronto’s Union Station to meet the newest member of the family – Suji (aka Sujiko), who comes to us all the way from Portland, Oregon via The Pacific Pug Rescue. Akemi saw little Suji (formerly Suzie) on their website a few weeks back and instantly fell in love. She’d had a rough past few years, living in a barn with her brother (who was apparently also adopted by someone in the entertainment industry), and was suffering from a few issues, the chiefest being some mobility issues that cause her to drag her hind legs a little – but don’t keep her from getting around. She’ll need a family with a lot of patience and love – and, fortunately for her, we have oodles of both.

We picked her up in Jelly’s old stroller, bundled her up for the Canadian winter, and then we were off.

On the way back to our place, she stopped to show off her getting-around skills.

Akemi is, of course, super excited to finally have her here. Suji, for her part, was downright exhausted from the flight.

She settled in with her face toy and spent much of the day sitting around, getting attention.

Then, when I got back from set, I helped Akemi give her a bath.

Last night, she slept on the bed with us (natch) but, unlike Bubba and Lulu, proved herself a little burrower, tunneling under the blankets and snuggling up beside Akemi for most of the night.

Akemi wasted no time indoctrinating her in our family way = Christmas sweater and antlers.

Then, it was a stroll through the park.

She has a little trouble getting around and is downright wobbly on those back legs, but with a little support, she can walk with the best of them. In fact, she was positively motoring around at one point and I had to trot to keep up.

Toy overload!

Suji LOVES Jodelle (Ferland, Dark Matter’s FIVE) who came over today just to say hi and welcome her to Toronto.

She was an interesting way of sitting – like she’s poised at the top of a slide.

As the younger sister, looks like she’ll be getting a lot of Bubba’s hand-me-downs.

Super cute.

We took her for a general check-up today. Aside from the rear legs, some arthritis, and a small eye issue that should clear up within the week, she is good to go. She’s a little underweight at 12.6 pounds, but I’m confident that will change as she’s really taken to the raw food we got her. She also enjoys liver treats and being hand fed. Reminds me A LOT of Jelly.

The happy family.

Special thanks to Ann and Josh who flew her in all the way from Portland. And thanks to the Pacific Pug Rescue for facilitating the trip.

Suji will be enjoying her golden years in fine, loving style.

Akemi’s account…
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ji-settles-in/

December 4, 2016

Video: Joe Mallozzi, Suji

Photos: Snow monkey, Suji, Lulu, Akemi, Bubba

It’s all over but the crying (as my dad used to say). Despite a valiant effort, and an impressive win in their last week of regular season play, it looks like my Snow Monkeys will come up one game short in their bid to grab that last playoff spot. There were a lot of missed opportunities this season, one of the biggest being our 1 point loss (a single point!) early in the season. Ah well.

Suji, meanwhile, has settled in and was showing off some surprising team colors early this morning. Apparently, she’s a HUGE Drew Brees fan.

Because she’s a little unsteady on her hind quarters, slippy-sliding across the hardwood floor, we’ve outfitted her with grippy doggy boots to help her negotiate her new surroundings.

Lulu has taken a particular interest in her, intrigued by the interesting-smelling newcomer.

They’ve even been hanging around together.

But Suji seems to prefer human company. She’s a lap dog in the truest sense of the word.

Today, we hit the park. Here’s Suji, ready to take flight.

And she’s off!

A quick trip to Homesense snagged us three new doggy beds and this stylish festive hat.

Ah, that sense of wonder…

She’s growing more comfortable in her new home. This afternoon, she even padded up to the patio door and asked to go out to pee. At least I think that’s what she was doing.

Enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Like most pugs, she enjoys lazing about. But she’s also pretty spunky, jumping out of bed to greet us when we come home, and running the carpet from our apartment to the elevator like a dog half her age. She also LOVES to sleep in, which is something we have in common.

Lulu breaks in the new dog bed.

Relaxed.

Suji took a trip to Homesense, Lulu got to go to the dog park, and Bubba joined us for a visit to pet shop. After every light he crosses, he’ll sit down on the sidewalk and patiently await his “good walking” reward.

14 and still going strong!

Well, back at it tomorrow for me. Main unit is at “the warehouse” while 2nd unit shoots (and I do mean that literally) in The Raza underbelly.
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-12-of-91/

December 5, 2016

Photos: Torri Higginson, Dark Matter, Tanavi Patel, Yael Tygiel, Liz, Lulu, Suji, Bubba

Commander Delaney Truffault means business!

The Raza’s spooky underbelly.

Media day with Tanavi Patel and Yael Tygiel.

The costumes department has something in the works for the Ishida court.

Liz celebrates her birthday with red velvet cupcakes and overtime!

Check out this gorgeous render of the Ishida research station.

Back home, Lulu has apparently really taken a liking to Suji. They apparently snooze, side by side, all afternoon.

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

P.S. This is your last chance to post your questions for Dark Matter Production Designer Ian Brock! Ask away!
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-13-of-91/

December 6, 2016

Video: Suji

Photos: Dark Matter, Ian Brock, Dark Matter concept art, Suji, Lulu

While I was back in the office, working on this latest script, production on season 3 continued at the Ishida Palace in Kitchener, Ontario Zairon. In tribute to Dark Matter’s latest biggest bad, here are some family portraits c/o the spectacular Roxanne Borris, 1st Assistant Art Director/Graphics…

Emperor Ishida Tetsuya

Empress Ishida (Li Na) Katsumi

Emperor Ishida Hiro

Emperor Ryo Ishida

Speaking of the Art Department, this is your last chance to post your questions for Dark Matter Production Designer Ian Brock – shipbuilder, space station manufacturer, and futuristic wheelchair assembler.

Tomorrow, another BIG behind-the-scenes guest Q&A announcement!

Pursuant to yesterday’s hi-rez render of the Ishida Research Station, here’s a breakdown of the station itself. We were very particular about the look as the script for Episode 302 requires a very specific look. Anyway, here ya go if you’re interested in building your own space station. Please direct all accolades to concept artist Jeff Bartzis.

And, of course, what recent blog entry would be complete without the requisite photo of the latest addition to our family, 11 year old Suji – here modeling the new outfit Akemi picked up for her the other day. All toasty warm for the Toronto winter.

We take her for a carpet walk every day to exercise her gimpy gambs.

Meanwhile, the Thelma & Louise of our floor continue to bond.
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...our-questions/

December 7, 2016 - Part 1

Photos: Roger Cross

Back when we were first casting the show, I watched countless auditions for the role of SIX. Going in, I knew that the linchpin of the performances would be that one line of dialogue our lovable father figure utters to FIVE at the end of Episode 9: “But truth is, when the time comes that you do decide to leave, I’m gonna miss you kid. I’m gonna miss you a lot.” And, boy, was I right. So many performers crashed and burned or were wholly unconvincing in their delivery, stymied by this surprisingly tricky line. Others came close…but no cigar. But one actor delivered the warmth and gravitas and genuine sincerity we were looking for. He was perfect. He was Roger Cross.

Well, two seasons later, Roger has been keeping busy – on our show and many other projects. BUT STILL found the time to field YOUR questions.

You asked; he answered…

ceresis64writes: “If you could play any other character in Dark Matter, who would it be?”

RC: If I could play any other role, it would probably be the android. It would be fun to control and play with the emotions like she does.

“What’s the most fun role you’ve played, and why?”

RC: I can’t pick my favorite, so many are great because of timing and/or experience.

“Which character have you played that is most like you, and the least like you?”

RC: My favorite part of playing “Six” is all his intimate scenes, whether it be with Five or Two, Three or Anders.

Kris Jane writes: “If you could choose, are there any specific storylines or arcs you’d like your character to explore? (More hidden past stuff, body swaps, weird ticks or incidents, leadership roles, other secrets, a romance, etc.)”

RC: It would be great to see the real background and romantic side of Six. A body swap episode would be kind of fun too.

Harley Power Parks writes: “Will you be visiting Hawaii soon? If so would you let fans know? Or San Diego Comic-Con?”

RC: I hope to be back in Hawaii soon. I’ll be sure to let you know. Maybe we can film an ep there.

“What makes you happy?”

RC: My kids make me happy.

“You were the first to use Transfers Transit, Now that Raza Crew has their own Transfer Transit Units, Using 5’s ability to hack memories too, is it possible that instead of sending out one clone you could send out multiples and successfully merge all the memories back together? Is it necessary to be unconscious? Kind of like mixing Edge of Tomorrow and Naruto’s shadow clones!””

RC: Wow, all of that transfer transit stuff sounds great. That would be a better question for Joe.

Harry Hanz writes: “”If you could build anything out of Legos, what would it be and why?”

RC: I love building Lego with my boys. Would be fun to build a Raza Lego set.

“What is Six’s most appealing trait?””

RC: You can tell me what you think is Six’s most appealing trait. I think it’s his passion to do the right thing.

Drea writes: “Favorite Bob and/or Ziggy Marley song?”

RC: I love all of Bob Marley’s songs, but I’ll probably have to go with “Redemption Song” as my favorite; “Corner Stone” as 2nd. And for Ziggy, I have to go with “Welcome To Jamrock” as my favorite, and “True To Myself” in second place.

Linda Kettle writes: “Does 6 have a family? Did 2 & 6 anticipate 4 trying to steal blink drive? Does 6 still consider Anders a friend? Is it weird being on a Canadian sci fi show?”

RC: Season 3 will answer those questions.

TheOtherOne writes: “In Season 1, who did you originally think was the mole and how did you feel when you found out?”

RC: I thought Six was the mole when I first read it, thought about others, but wasn’t positive till the morning of the filming.

“You seem to be a very chilled out, happy kinda guy. What’s your secret?”

RC: I like to think I’m a chilled and happy guy. No real secret. I just embrace and love life, and my loved ones. I do my best and let the chips fall where they may.

Ceresis64 writeS: “What has been the most challenging location you’ve had to shoot in?”

RC: The most challenging location I’ve had to shoot at was where we shot the barn scene with Five. It was probably -30 that day, and damp…and I was wearing a t-shirt.

“What book are you currently reading?”

RC: I’m currently reading a book given to me by a complete stranger in London after we struck up a conversation about life and religion. She was muslim, respected other beliefs, and was reading the book that she gifted me: “Saint Augustine: Confessions”.

MaggieMayday writes: ” “What keeps you busy and happy during downtime?””

RC: My family keeps me happy and busy during my down-time.

monsterfactory3 writes: “What drew you to the script?”

RC: Curiosity and intrigue drew me to this script. I wanted to know more about these characters.

” What do you have most in common with your character?”

RC: What I have most in common with Six is his desire to do the right thing.

“6 betrayed the team and just got their respect back and both 6 and 4’s reasons were kind of honor based where 6 was for the law and 4 is for his people, both a sense of duty. Do you think 6 will ever forgive 4 for what he did in season 2 finale based on that?”

RC: Six turned them in, but he didn’t blow up a station full of people or maybe kill members of his crew, so his betrayal is, waaaaay beyond next level. It’ll be tough, if not impossible to forgive.

Tingly writes: “Hi Roger! I’m a big fan. What is your favourite thing to do with the dark matter cast?”

RC: My favorite thing to do with the cast is going out to dinner and rigorous games of ping-pong, topped off with listening to a great band somewhere.

Tam Dixon writes: “”Thanks Roger for doing a Q & A! I’m a big fan of your work. You’ve been in so many Sci-fi movies/TV shows, and have met some wonderful actors. Any fun anecdotes that you can share?””

RC: One of my favorite memories as an actor happened working with Billy Dee Williams on the final episode of “Wiseguys”. I was playing the young thug/drug dealer that ran the school, and he comes in to clean things up and throws me out – andIi’m freaking and threatening him etc. After rehearsal, he looked at me and said, “I can tell that you’re a nice kid, but when a true gangster threatens someone, he doesn’t have to yell; he just means it.” It was a great moment for me, and has helped me since.

Carolyn Sy writes: “Roger- who plays the best pranks on set? Thank you in advance for doing a Q&A”

RC: We’re not huge on pranks, but Melissa pulled a great one on one of our producers, Ivon, when Ivon lost his license. She may have gotten him to believe he had to go pick it up from the last person he wanted to re-encounter…

“Do all the cast and crew pick on poor little Jodelle or can she kick ass with the best of you?”

RC: We’d never let anyone pick on Jodelle. We all lovingly tease each other, and she can give as well as she gets.

Kat writes: “Hi Roger, thanks for doing the Q&A – I’m sure you get a lot of the same questions in your interviews so I’d like you to please tell us something about yourself or the show (or both) that you’ve never said in an interview or at a convention. Time to get thinking!”

RC: Kat, that’s too much thinking…my braaaaaaain! Can’t think of anything.

Harley Power Parks writes: “On the Raza main deck, ep105 there is live food being stored in fish tanks, or is it a screen saver?”

RC: The fish isn’t food, just a screen saver. But maybe we should look into farming fish onboard.

“Three seems to have been given an intelligence boost.. the host may have retained some of the black goo’d knowledge, does 6 notice the change?”

RC: Hmmm, maybe the black goo and/or his friends will make a re-emergence in Season 3. And naw, there’s no marked rise of intelligence in Three.

“It is War, and 6 seems to be stepping up to assume a new role in the war effort. If so, What role do you see playing or what change is coming?”

RC: Season 3 will possibly reveal Six’s role in the upcoming War, so can’t tell ya.

Colin writes: “Hi Roger – what is the most flattering thing your fellow cast members would say about you and what is the least?”

RC: Colin, you’ll have to ask my cast-mates.
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...our-questions/

December 7, 2016 - Part 2

shinyhula writes: “Six is empathetic character both pre and post mind wipe. Does Six keep that strong moral compass in season 3 or is the Raza crew rubbing off on him?”

RC: Everyone s influenced by their environment, but Six, is who he is, yet he continues to learn and grow from his experiences.

Annie Wauters writes: “Roger-aka-Six- Do you feel that six has been forgiven/accepted as part of the crew again. What’s his role on the ship looking like (assuming they make it back to the ship…) How is his relationship with five? That was definitely something I loved from season one.”

RC: They’re all flawed characters, so they get it that no ones perfect. So, yes, I think he’s definitely been forgiven and accepted by the others, but it’s impossible to ever forget a betrayal. His relationship will always be strong with Five. They truly love each other.

MaggieL80 writes: “Most influential movie, art, or literature that inspires your work?”

RC: “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” and “Deep Cover” are two of my favorite movies.

“Favorite artist?”

RC: Sidney Poitier is my favorite actor, and an inspiration to me.

” Favorite animal?”

RC: My favorite animal is the Bald Eagle.

” Favorite quote or phrase?”

RC: My favorite quote is “Carpe Diem”.

” Do you see your character surviving all 5 “planned-out” seasons? Hopefully we’ll get the 5 seasons that Joe has envisioned. I’d like more than 5 of course. ”

RC: I see no reason Six shouldn’t be around for all seasons planned or not. He brings a lot to the table.

“On a personal note, it was a pleasure meeting Roger at Dragon Con, such a sweet person. Thank you for coming down to Georgia!”

RC: It was great meeting you in Georgia as well.

cliff odell writes: “No questions directly, but tell him a slew of us down here in Oregon adore the crap out of his extensive work!”

RC: Hey, Cliff, thanks for the adoration from Oregon!

Farflame writes: “What do you like and/or dont like about Six?”

RC: I like almost everything about Six. Can’t think of any dislikes right now.

“Which episode of DM Season 1 do you like the most (if you remember) and which crew member(s) is/are your favorite and why?”

RC: I love all my crew members equally.

“Regarding the mole and betrayal – what would you, Roger Cross, do in place of Six? Would you betray others like Six or do something completely different?”

RC: I hope i’m never put in that situation, I have no clue what i’d do.

“Three learnt some basic pilot skills in Season 2. Could you honestly compare his skills to skills of Six?”

RC: Three’s piloting skills have a long way to go to catch up to Six’s. He almost got them blasted out of the sky if you recall.

“It seems there will be war of corporations in Dark Matter. What do you think Six would like to do now? If GA is corrupt, maybe Raza crew could become new “rogue authority” that punishes all corporations for war crimes against civilians. ”

RC: Season 3 will tell you all about that.

“Jodelle gives impression that she has a lot in common with Five in real life. Would you agree? You were big friends in season 1 so lets say you are qualified for this question.”

RC: Yes, Jodelle is a lot like 5, but more artistic.

“You acted in a lot of sci-fi shows and movies. What usually attracts you to do them? Are you become a little typecasted or its actually a compliment to be “man from future” or “man for future”.”

RC: Sci-Fi offers a world of possibilities and dreams, so it’s a fun stage to play on.

“Do you see how sci-fi as a genre evolved or the difference between shooting your early sci-fi shows like First Wave and the recent ones (Continuum, DM, The 100)? Could you shortly compare sci-fi show you did?”

RC: Sci-Fi has clearly become more mainstream, and a lot of Sci-Fi shows now incorporate a lot more drama than in its earlier days.

“What could you tell us about your involvement in 24?”

RC: 24 was a great experience, too big to be summed up here. I was blessed to be a part of it.

“Star Trek or Star Wars?”

RC: Love both Star Trek and Star Wars.

“Do you have some dream role (for you) or dream story/character arc for Six? Tell us.””

RC: Would love to play Muhammed Ali.

bambamfans writes: “What’s your favourite Dark Matter set or location to shoot and why?”

RC: My favorite set is our main studio because we shoot during winter and it’s warm there.

“Have you ever exaggerated about a skill on an acting resume and then had to perform it?”

RC: I don’t bother exaggerating on my resume for just that reason. And, frankly, I don’t think I need to.

” How many takes for the strut down the hallway at the end of the Season 1 Finale?”

RC: We did several angles for that final walk, but I have no clue how many takes. It wasn’t excessive though.

“Going forward, what are Six’s feelings towards Four in Season 3?”

RC: You’ll just have to wait and see how we all feel about Four’s betrayal in S3.

“Are all the quarters on the Raza identical in size and are the beds comfortable?”

RC: The quarters are equal and the same in many instances. Yes, the beds are comfy. I may have even napped on one before. Shhhhhhh

“Do you keep your schedule free hoping for a renewal when the season ends?”

RC: I’m contractually bound to wait for our renewal, and hope for it, but live life like it’s not going to happen.

“It looks like you all have a great camaraderie filming, is that the case on other sets you have worked on? (on dfferent programs) Is there ever a case of just getting the job done and getting out?””

RC: We do have great camaraderie on set. It’s not always like that, and yes, there are definitely jobs that you just get done, learn what you can, and move on.

“For Roger Cross: I enjoyed interviewing you, Jodelle and Mike in Vancouver. However, I forgot to ask you, of all the roles you have played, which is your favorite. Maybe I should rephrase that – of all the roles you’ve played, other than Six in Dark Matter, which was your second favorite.”

RC: Hello, Arctic Goddess. Outside of Six, I may have to go with “Travis Verta”, but I have fond memories and love many of my other roles.

“I noticed that between the Continuum and Dark Matter characters that you’ve played that both seemed to be criminals (to some degree) that had moments or paths of redemption that were played out during the progression of the show (okay Six wasn’t technically a criminal to start, but he had his moments of defying authority for the right reasons in season two). Has this been a character profile that you’ve sought out and maybe enjoy playing, or was it all just happenstance? Or maybe a mix?”

RC: I love playing multi-dimensional characters, and it’s always fun to play a character with a little bad to him. It’s more real, and gives you more room to play.

no1zoiepalmerfan writes: “My questions for Roger Cross. 1) Have you previously worked with any of your fellow cast mates?”

RC: I’ve previously worked with Zoie on “The Guard”, and Jodelle on numerous shows.

“2) If you could work with any actor/actress you wanted, who would it be?”

RC: There are soooooo many actors I’d love to work with: DeNiro, Pacino, Denzel, Gary Oldman, etc.. But if I had to pick, I’d love to work with Sidney Poitier if even for a day.

“For Roger Cross: you work so much all over the place, I wonder which city do you enjoy working in most? Is there a city you wish you could work in?”

RC: Hello Jojo. I’ve been blessed to have worked in so many amazing places. It’s difficult to pick. I loved working in NYC over the summer, several cities in Europe, Asia etc. If I had to pick, for comfort reasons, I would have to go with Vancouver and L.A.

“Do you prefer to stay in hotels or an apartment while working?”

RC: If it’s a short stay, I love great hotels, but if it’s a longer stay, it’s much nicer to have an apartment to get cozy in.

“What has been a role you have enjoyed in the past?”

RC: I’ve enjoyed so many of my roles. I can’t really pick just one.

“What is your process to memorize a script? It is something I find so difficult to do. Love your work”

RC: To memorize scripts I generally do it by rote. Simply read it over and over again, and build the character along the way.

I want to thank each and everyone of you who took the time to send in questions.

Much love to you all!
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-15-of-91/

December 8, 2016

Photos: Ron Murphy, Suji, concept piece, Karl Crosby, Dark Matter, Phil Calambakas, Rachelle Audet, Jean Brophey, Jay Firestone

Hot on the heels of one fantastic Dark Matter fan Q&A (see yesterday’s Roger Cross-dedicated entry) comes another. Director Ron Murphy (director of such episodes as: The one where FIVE mines her memories and finds out how she got on the ship, The one where FOUR kills his former mentor Akita, The one where the Android uses the upgrade to go undercover as a human, The one where almost everyone gets blown up on that space station, and another three this upcoming season including the premiere, finale, and the totally bananas Episode 304) wants to hear from YOU! Post your questions for Ron in the comments of this blog. You have until Monday night!

Yesterday morning I received a sign that Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 would NOT be one of my best days. That sign was our new (old) pug Suji peeing in the bed. At 5:30 a.m. I suspect this is the result of a bladder infection and not poor housebreaking habits or general insolence. So, we’ve made an appointment to visit the vet Friday night. And did a mess of laundry. And packed up our comforters to drop off at the dry cleaners.

Then, on my way in to work, I saw a pedestrian get hit by a car. It was morning dark and she was crossing against a red light in a no-crossing zone. The car wasn’t going that fast but it did send her tumbling, head over heels. Attempts to coax into a car for a ride to the hospital proved unsuccessful and she scampered off, no doubt to thank her lucky stars for the close call…and, later that night, curse them for the aching back that’ll probably creep on her.

I got to the office 15 minutes before call, set up my laptop, and got to work on my script, marveling at how quiet the place was and how fortunate I’d been to snag a parking spot right out front. Wait! Quiet?! Parking spot out front?! I checked the callsheet and, sure enough, we were shooting at our other stage. I hopped into the car and zipped over, just in time for first blocking.

A great Marauder day with Director Ron Murphy calling the shots. There was a special guest star and laughs and even a few tears shed.

At one point, actress Zoie Palmer came by my office to discuss a name for her Android. We’d had two weeks to go away and come back with three suggestions each. I actually came back with two. She had seven. We kind of, sort of, agreed on one (with a surprising Stargate connection!). But we’ve yet to commit, so discussions are ongoing.

Today, we’re in the infirmary for Day #2 of Episode 302 (which is actually shooting in the #3 slot) with Director Bruce McDonald at the helm…

Concept piece for the Ishida holo-tablet c/o Props Master Victoria Klein.

1st Assistant Art Director/Set Designer Karl Crosby shows off his robot arm.

Construction continues on the Ishida research facility.

Details! Details!

B Dolly Grip Phil Calambakas represents on Cat Shirt Thursday.

Sound Recordist Rachelle Audet makes do with a cat pin.

For my part, I actually bought a bunch of cat t-shirts before the season started…but keep forgetting to wear them.

On Set Dresser Mean Jean Brophey looking tough(ish).

While Executive Producer Jay Firestone negotiates a tableful of notes.

Dinner tonight with belated birthday gal Torri Higginson (Dark Matter’s Commander Delaney Truffault). We’re gonna wagyu it up!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-16-of-91/

December 9, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter concept art, Bruce McDonald, Craiger, Joe, Dave, Brad Wethlery, Dark Matter, dinner, Torri Higginson

A little something from concept artist Henry Fong for Episode 303…

Holy crap! Three weeks of production complete!

Director Bruce McDonald – the master of ceremonies.

First blocking – Craiger, Joe, Dave, and Brad.

Do NOT go in there!

Script Supervisor Brad Wethlery joins the club. Dashing, no?

So what’re we doing in the systems control room?

An unwelcome guest?

Last night’s dinner with Torri Higginson (Dark Matter’s Commander Truffault and Stargate’s Commander Elizabeth Weir), four steaks: A5 Kobe Black Tajima from Hyogo Prefecture, Japan; A5 Black Tajima from Gunma Prefecture, Japan; AAco Westholme Wagyu from Queensland, AUS; Mishima Reserve Wagyu from CO, USA. And sides.

The occasion?

And the Birthday Gal.

Don’t forget! You have until Monday night to post your questions for Dark Matter Director Ron Murphy (of such episodes as the season 3 premiere, the season 3 finale, and the show’s wildest episode ever – Episode 304)!

The weekend is upon us. Finally, I can break this endless cycle of meetings, writing and rewrites by just concentrating on writing and rewrites!
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ontest-winner/

December 10, 2016

Video: Suji

Photos: Dark Matter, Ron Murphy, Suji, Bubba, Lulu, Joe Mallozzi

Early in November, I held a little contest on this blog, asking fans to directly identify two props featured in Dark Matter’s second season. Then, we rolled into production and I forgot to announce the winner. And so, better late than never, the winner of the cast-signed script who correctly identified the props – and the episodes in which they appeared is…

ceresis64!

Prop 1 – An emergency beacon that Chief Inspector Kierkan shows Four when he’s talking to him, when trapped under the rubble in Ep 205 We Voted Not To Space You.

Prop 2 – one of Truffault’s soldiers uses it to open the door when they board the Raza in Ep208 Stuff To Steal, People To Kill.

Congrats to ceresis64! Drop me an email at [email protected] with your mailing address, and I’ll send the script your way.

Director Ron Murphy is armed and ready for you questions. You have until Monday night to post them in this blog’s comments section!

Hey, check out this concept vehicle, just in time for my Christmas road trip to Montreal! Just got to fuel up, get the snow tires, and arm the mounted laser gun and I’m road ready!

Suji has to work on that bark.

I leave you with…dog pictures…

P.S. Suji now has her own instagram account here: NewOldPugSujiko
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X