Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-blog-friends/

November 12, 2016

Video: Model Raza jumps to FTL

Photos: 10th blogversary award, Raza model, Akemi, Jeff, Barb, Gary

Over the course of these 10 years of daily blogging, I’ve gotten to know quite a few of you, mostly here on this blog but, some of you, in person. There’s Gary (aka gforce) who has dropped by Vancouver on his innumerable nature hikes, Jeff W. who has kindly helped transport my dogs on their annual cross-country flight, and Jeff’s wife Barb who took Akemi for a memorable trip to the aquarium the last time she was in town. This weekend, all three were in Toronto to help mark this blog’s 10th anniversary!

They – in concert with other blog regulars – presented me with a commemorative plaque, a bottle of super smooth Nikka Coffey whisky, and THIS spectacular model of The Raza that lights up a half dozen ways (built by Jeff) –

Sub-light!

Firing engines!

Shields!

And they didn’t leave out Akemi or Bubba and Lulu. Check out the Christmas-themed toys and outfits!

A great lunch and interesting dessert (still not sold on that rosemary ice cream) with great people.

Thanks to Jeff, Barb, Gary – and all the rest of this extended blog family!

Nav calculations complete. Jumping to FTL…
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...s-of-november/

November 13, 2016

Photos: Bubba, Lulu, Akemi

“Weird. That woman’s treating her kid like a dog.”

My reaction to witnessing a mother rocking, hugging and showering her child with kisses.

Bubba models his new Christmas sweater.

Lulu, all smiles.

Bubba doing his best frog imitation.

Lulu, reminding us it’s dinner time.

An introspective Bubba.

Bubs and mom hit the Christmas market.

So, what’s on tap this weekend? Well.

Monday: Camera Prep, Tech Scout, Storyboard Review, Camera Equipment Meeting, Wig Meeting (!), and dinner with Post Supervisor Rachel Sutherland.

Tuesday: Tone Meeting, Special Equipment Meeting, Safety Committee Meeting, Cast Dinner.

Wednesday: Stunt Rehearsal, Production Meeting.

Thursday: Stunt Rehearsal, Music Recording (!).

Friday: FIRST DAY OF PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY!
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...s-dark-matter/

November 14, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter concept art, Joe Mallozzi

In season 1, our big builds were The Raza (bridge, infirmary, mess/training room, quarters, corridors) and The Marauder. In season 2, it was the Hyperion-8 Galactic Prison (gen pop, warden’s office, tech room, interrogation room, laundry room, recycling room and incinerator, corridors). In season 3 – well, here’s a peek at some of the concept work underway for Dark Matter’s third season…

Structural reconfiguration of the former Hyperion-8 cells into facility corridor, Episode 302.

Facility door – Episode 302.

Facility corridor details – Episode 302.

Facility door control panel – Episode 302.

T Junction, Facility – Episode 302.

Oh, yeah. Forgot today’s ensemble. Note the toucan socks.
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...spanish-style/

November 15, 2016

Photos: Jodelle Ferland, Ron Murphy, John Stead, Dark Matter set, swords, Victoria Klein

Tonight is the Dark Matter season 3 cast dinner. In preparation, I just had supper. I realize that might seem a little counter-intuitive, but our restaurant reservations are for 8:00 p.m. which means that, by the time everyone arrives and settles in, the kitchen won’t be getting our orders until 8:30 p.m., which means that we won’t actually get our food until well after 9:00 p.m. Don’t get me wrong. I’m a team player. Except when it comes to meals. Experience has taught me to always eat before dinner parties as well because more often than not, and I’m sorry, but most hosts and hostesses never have their **** together and keep me waiting long beyond my point of no return (A singular exception to this rule is former Stargate EP Robert Cooper who, when we he says dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m., SERVES DINNER AT ******* 6:30 p.m.!). When I’m hungry, I’m not interesting in making idle chitchat over aperitifs or nibbling on appetizers while I wait for lagging guests or cooks. Let me put it this way – if you’re serving the main course during the NCIS closing credit crawl, you done ****ed up. What is this? Spain? Are we now going to start eating lunch between 2 and 4 p.m.?

Well, look who’s back in town.

Director Ron Murphy and Stunt Coordinator John Stead practice their choreographed routine for the dance-off.

Guess who’s room?

“The Crate” – Episode 301. Watch for it!

Director Ron Murphy going over his line before opening night.

A storm of swords.

Props Master Victoria Klein and Stunt Coordinator John Stead.

Director Ron Murphy casually bearing gifts.

The Nikka Coffey Whisky was a huge hit at the latest Dark Matter Whiske/y Club assembly. Thanks again!

Today’s ensemble…shark socks!
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ction-meeting/

November 16, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter season 3 cast dinner, Joe Mallozzi

Last night was the Dark Matter season 3 cast dinner and, as I predicted, we didn’t eat until after 9:00 pm. And, yes, I did eat. Again. But only to be polite. Since I’d already had supper, I limited myself to the corn soup appetizer, the lamb ribs, and a spoonful of Zoie Palmer’s chocolate-orange pudding dessert.

A great time was had by all – except our affable host, Prodigy Pictures President and Dark Matter Executive Producer Jay Firestone, who was home sick but still treated us to an excellent meal, a couple of bottles of red wine, and champagne.

This morning, we gathered in the Raza mess for the very first production meeting of the young season. We blazed through both episodes in under two hours, well before our taco lunch.

Whelp, wildly successful production meeting aside, today was one of those wearisome days that makes you regret not having sold your house at the height of the market, cashed out, and retired to Yokohama. Seemingly endless notes to be given, holes to be plugged, an unfathomable discourse on tax credits, another major rewrite looms and – AND I chipped my brand new pair of purple kicks…

Tomorrow: The cast read-thru!
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ou-kidding-me/

November 17, 2016

Photos: Dinner, Ben Pinkerton, Anthony Lemke, Zoie Palmer, Joe Mallozzi, Dark Matter

Allow me to paint a picture if I may…

You’re asked to put on a show. Say, a juggling demonstration. You pick out four tennis balls and practice until you’ve got it down pat. Then, on the day, you discover that one of your tennis balls is missing. But the show must go on and so you take the stage and start juggling – only to discover than another one of the tennis balls has been filled with sand. You forge ahead with your routine and then someone tosses another object into the mix – say, a grapefruit. You make the adjustment, incorporate it into the act, and keep juggling. Then, someone throws in a shuttlecock. A star fruit. A hand mirror. The ninth edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica vol 13, INF – KAN. And finally, today…a flaming bowling ball.

Thank you, very much.

Fortunately, I came home to this which lifted my spirits.

After which I headed over to the recording studio where Dark Matter Music Supervisor Ben Pinkerton presided over a very special session.

P.S. I made sure to bug him about releasing that long-awaited Dark Matter soundtrack. He swears he’s working on it!

Also in the studio with us, Ben’s right-hand man Spencer – and two of our cast members. Care to guess who?

Hint: It’s Anthony Lemke and Zoie Palmer. And they were terrific!

My last casual day…

Tomorrow, it’s formal wear! Day #1 of #91!
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-1-of-91/

November 18, 2016

Photos: Ian Brock, Dark Matter set, Brandon Tataryn, Craig Wright, Jean Brophey, Joe Mallozzi

Our brilliant Production Designer, Ian Brock, gives today’s sets (3 in all!) a last look-through before heading off to oversee construction of several more sets! Have to convince him to do a fan Q&A this season.

The “guest quarters” on the Volkov-Rusi ship.

Check out the attention to detail, the small touches…

The Art Department outdoes themselves with each successive episode.

A sneak peek at the still-in-progress “VR room”.

Really the best thing about getting the third season pick-up is having the opportunity to spend the next five months with this group.

Production Manager and Ethics Committee Chairman Brandon Tataryn works through the week AND runs a hugely popular bed & breakfast with his wife on weekends! And he cooks for his guests, drawing from – and I didn’t know this until today – his culinary training. Planning a trip to Ontario and looking to get away for a weekend or so? Look no further! I’ll get the details from Brandon this week!

Director of Photography Craig Wright, always upbeat and rarin’ to go.

Mind the airlock!

Access point – “the lab”.

Hey! It’s on set dresser Mean Jean Brophey!

The lab’s lurid red lighting. It’s like something out of The Shining!

The operating table. This “lab” scene will deliver the most disquieting/creepiest/unsettling sequence on Dark Matter to date. Avert your eyes!

The lurid red screens to match the equally lurid red lightning.

They say that, if you look close enough and whistle a tune at the stroke of midnight, you can see the ghost of VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson onscreen.

And, of course, today’s wardrobe. No more casual-wear for Joe. I’m dressing up for production!

1 down! 90 to go!
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...k-matters-six/

November 19, 2016

Photos: Roger Cross, Dark Matter, Jodelle Ferland

What better way to kick off the start of production on Dark Matter’s third season than a fan Q&A with actor Roger Cross. Other cast members have already fielded your queries here on this blog:

Melissa O’Neil

Anthony Lemke

Alex Mallari Jr.

Zoie Palmer

Melanie Liburd

And now it’s time for Roger, one of Canada’s busiest actors, to submit to your grilling.

Got a burning question for him? You have until Tuesday night to post it in the comments section of this blog. After that, it’ll be in Roger’s hands…

Oooh, check it out. Another little something from the Art Department. Concept art from the fabulous Henry Fong for Episode 303.

Today, I went to the Toronto Christmas Market with Akemi and Jodelle. We made Jodelle try popcorn shoots and roasted chestnut – both of which she hated, then made her pose beside this creepy red snowman – which she seemed to enjoy marginally more than the popcorn shoots and roasted chestnut.

We now resume our regularly scheduled scriptwriting session already in progress.
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...were-adopting/

November 20, 2016

Photos: Suzie aka Suji

It might probably come as a surprise to many of you, but Akemi and I have been thinking about it for a while now. I’m not getting any younger, we have a lot of love to give and the time just felt right. And so, after much consideration, we submitted an adoption application and held our breath. Then, last week, we received the joyous news. Our application had been approved!

And our lives are about to change.

We’re a little nervous – after all, this IS a big step – but we’re confident we’ll be great parents.

And sometime before Christmas, we’ll be welcoming this little girl to the family…

Her name is Suzie. Although I’m a firm believer in never changing a dog’s name, Akemi feels a new name offers a fresh start. We’ve compromised and will call her Suji (aka Sujiko) which is pretty damn close.

Anyway, Suzie/Suji is 11 and spent the last year or so of her life living in a barn. But roughing it will be a thing of the past for this little lady as she’ll settle into the posh comfort of our bi-coastal digs – a house with fenced-in front and back yards in Vancouver, and a roomy apartment just around the corner from a dog park (and a nice big patio for emergency runs) in Toronto. She is going to be SPOILED! The poor gal suffers from some rear leg weakness that sees her struggle a little, but she comes with a snazzy set of wheels (which she apparently hates). Lucky for her, we have Jelly’s old low-mileage stroller parked in the hall, just perfect for those parkside promenades.

We’ll keep you updated on her ETA.

Wait. What were you thinking?
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-2-of-92/

November 21, 2016

Photos: Anthony Lemke, Dark Matter, Roger Cross, Brandon Tataryn's bed and breakfast, Joe Mallozzi

Today’s unwieldy dialogue dump:

“One of the anti-matter transducer feeds was compromised by an impairment in one of the particle accelerators.”

And you’ll never guess who delivers the line.

In a show’s first season, the cast walks on eggshells, eager to please. In a show’s second season, they become more relaxed and eager to collaborate. In a show’s third season, you end up with situations like the one pictured above – cast members rolling out of bed and coming to set in their jammies, bathrobe, and slippers.

Next thing you know, they’ll be demanding we have breakfast ready for them on their arrival –

Oh. Right.

Which one’s the control crystal?

Look at what came my way via the Art Department. Why, it’s a preliminary concept for the abandoned factory. I’m leaning towards A. You?

Hey, guess who wants to hear from you? None other than Dark Matter’s SIX, Roger Cross, who’ll be dropping by this blog to answer YOUR questions. If you got ’em, ask ’em – in the comments section.

The other day, I mentioned that former 1st Assistant A.D. – and present Production Manager – Brandon Tataryn and his wife had opened a bed and breakfast in picturesque Niagara on the Lake. So, when he isn’t on set, or lending his name to a harrowing disease of the future (see Tataryn’s Disease, Episode 107), Brandon is cooking for his guests using organic, locally-sourced ingredients. Apparently, he makes a fantastic Eggs Benedict while Amanda offers up a killer bread pudding. Mention you’re a Dark Matter fan and get a deal on your stay!

Book now! Queen Regent Bed & Breakfast

Check out the pics!

Today’s ensemble…
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-3-of-91/

November 22, 2016

Photos: Michael Reventar, Dark Matter, Roger Cross, Joe Mallozzi

Yes! As many of you pointed out in the comment section, yesterday’s post marked the 10 year anniversary of this blog. As I wrote on that very first day back on November 21st of 2007:

“Here I sit, watching the battery recharge on my new HD camera (less than an hour to go!), making final preparations for my trip to Hong Kong and Tokyo. For the purposes of keeping a travel diary of sorts – and keeping you all entertained, natch – I’m attempting my second foray into the wonderful world of blogging. Unlike the last blog which focused on the show and its various behind-the-scenes happenings, this one will adopt a more scattershot approach, covering a variety of topics in a half-ass manner, ensuring that anyone checking it out in search of any one thing will come away feeling wholly dissatisfied or, at the very least, somewhat disappointed.”

And I truly feel that, over these 10+ years, I have succeeded in consistently dissatisfying and disappointing. But I couldn’t have done it without you all. So – a huge thanks to all of you, my extended blog family.

While yesterday marked a full decade since my very first blog entry, this Thursday is pretty special as well as it marks 10 full years of uninterrupted daily blogging.

Big stunts day today. We spent most of the afternoon shooting the Ash beatdown and kill shot. This morning, meanwhile, marked our first day [the actress who plays] Solara Shockley graced our set. More on her and our [actor who plays] Adrian Maro tomorrow after the official press release. THEN, feel free to follow them on twitter!

Michael Reventar as Ash.

Currently on the triptych in The Raza mess.

Hey, remember this concept drawing? Well, here’s the almost-finished product minus some lights and finishing details…

Get your questions in for actor Roger Cross!

You have until midnight tonight to post your queries for Canada’s busiest actor!

Today’s ensemble…
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-4-of-91/

November 23, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Ayisha Issa, Mishka Thebaud, Andrew Moodie, Ivon Bartok, Joe Mallozzi

PRODUCTION BEGINS ON DARK MATTER’S THIRD SEASON

Following the season 2 finale that saw the crew of The Raza scattered and presumed dead, Dark Matter’s third season opens a compelling new chapter of the spellbinding series. Joining the cast this season are Ayisha Issa (12 Monkeys) as Solara Shockley, Mishka Thébaud (Bitten) as Adrian Maro and Andrew Moodie (Trust No One) as Teku Feonsei.

Ayisha Issa as Solara Shockley. Follow her on twitter here

Mishka Thebaud as Adrian Maro. Follow him on twitter here

Andrew Moodie as Teku Fonsei. Follow him on twitter here

Today, we were shooting in The Raza training room. A little bo staff. A little sword play. Some weird multi point sunbursty thing…

Yeah, that’s it.

Little somethings meticulously constructed by On Set Key Props Lisa Amaral Wright for…a future episode.

Concept art from the desk Henry Fong.

His work is pretty damn spectacular.

Hey, speaking of spectacular, check out today’s ensemble.
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-5-of-91/

November 24, 2016

Photos: Rum cake, Dark Matter, Joe Mallozzi

This entry marks ten straight years of uninterrupted daily blogging. I celebrated today by going in to work!

The only thing Akemi loves more than baking is baking for the Dark Matter crew. This morning, it was breakfast rum cake with butter rum glaze.

First blocking!

Our finished “not clock”.

An moment of reflection before the ass kicking.

After wrap, I walk the empty set to pick up all the cool stuff the cast and crew leave behind. Today, I found a three dollars in change, a slightly used pair of size 8 Puma’s, and this futuristic albeit counter-intuitive can opener.

The evolution of the Research Station.

My second to last instalment of Joe’s fashion corner. Deep blue – and french bulldog socks!

Happy Thanksgiving!
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...3-day-6-of-91/

November 25, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Michael Reventar, Joe Mallozzi

One week down, eighteen to go! We are blazing through production on Dark Matter’s third season – which is both exhilarating and terrifying considering there are still plenty of scripts still to be written. Thank goodness for weekends, the Christmas holidays and, later this season when we’re up against it, the hours between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.!

Director Ron Murphy holds court in the Raza mess. I don’t think these guys went home last night.

Hey, check it out! New triptych image for the mess. A little touch of home.

Qu’est-ce que c’est? Why, yes, it IS a space ukulele. And it was designed by Juan Carlos Noguera Cardoza. Check it out his amazing work here.

Today’s wacky on-set highlights: Song! Dance! Spoons! Booze! French! The not-clock!

Straight down the barrel! The incredible Michael Reventar is Ash.

Building the robotic arm (Episode 302). Plans, 3D printing, parts, and assembly.

Which reminds me – Production Designer Ian Brock has suggested we upload the NEW, ultra-detailed 3D specs of the Raza so that fans can build their own at home.

Our Art Department 3D printer is getting a pretty good workout so far this season. So much so that Co-Executive Producer Ivon Bartok suggested that the next 3D build should be a bigger 3D printer.

For the final instalment of Joe’s fashion feature, I decided to go FULL TARTAN!
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...you-i-mean-me/

November 26, 2016

Photos: Akemi, Jodelle Ferland, Bubba, Lulu, Joe's new look for 2017

What a difference a script makes. I practically wrote Episode 304 over the course of a weekend, blazing through an astounding 32 pages in a single day! Compare this to the script I’m presently writing which has progressed at a somewhat less blistering rate of a page a day. In all fairness though, Episode 304 was pretty bonkers bananas looney toons whereas this episode focuses on some pretty heavy reveals – among them, the surprising link in the origins of two of our crew members. I’ve had the beats in my head for a loooong time and, now, it’s a matter of finding a way to do deliver this story in a cool, captivating, comprehensible narrative. THIS is the one many of you have been clamoring for, so I want to make sure I don’t disappoint!

I was up well into the wee hours last night, staring up at the ceiling, hammering out the little surprises I have in store for this particular tale, finally falling asleep way past bedtime – only to have Lulu (and her upset tummy) wake me up twice! But, this morning, I was up at the crack of dawn (ish) so that we could meet up with Jodelle (aka FIVE) for our weekly trip to the local farmer’s market. Fish and veggies for Akemi and I while J2 picked up some chocolate milk, potato soup, and a way too small jar of maple butter. Following a veggie (ish) lunch for our veggie gal, we stopped by Soma for a chocolate medley.

We dropped by the dog park, just long enough for one of the big dogs to jump up one Akemi and soil her new coat with his muddy (well, I hope it was mud!) paws.

And back to our place for some down doggy time. While I know Jodelle has some pretty big fans, I really can’t imagine any bigger than Bubba and Lulu.

So, hey, I’m thinking of going with a whole new look for 2017. Renee Chan, Dark Matter’s Key Hair, gave me a few makeovers to choose from. What do you think? Cast your vote below!

So youthful!

So distinguished!

So evil!

Cast your vote!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X