Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    What is Phoenix? A new Earth ship?
    I think this is the first we've heard of it. Odds are it's a spaceship of some sort.

The Phoenix Speculation Thread.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      One has to have a good look at that first photo: Link!.

See what and who you can find.

EDIT: And that Rob Cooper photo is beyond traumatizing.
      That drawing is wonderful! I want one!

As for the red-eye piccie...okay, that is REALLY disturbing! I know a few fans might think RCC is the devil incarnate, but this is just ridiculous!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
        I think it's fair to say nothing can be taken off the table. DVR's Schedule cast changes and writing. It's opinion as to what has the most effect.
        Welllll, when most of the TV shows on all the networks are down by around 20%, quality of show does not seem to be the factor. Not every show are losing viewers because of lost interest. For the industry to make a big thing about DVR and to start a new counting system this month makes you wonder. Like I said in another thread, it seems SGA could NOT have started it's 4th season at a better time. When Eureka got a 1.2 last week, that raised the red flag. BTW, finale got a 1.4, so SGA is not that far off. Also, when the quarter average of the network is a 0.9, that has to be a major factor also.
        sigpic

Comment

I wonder how these statements will be twisted now...

Oh, it'll be so entertaining!
          Or boring. Joe still hasn't realised that these people were fans once, they didn't wake up one day and decide to be nasty about SGA for the hell of it, they lost their shiny show.. they are upset about it, upset that tptb don't give a dam.

Fact still remains SGA has lost a lot of viewers, you can blame Skiffy or you can just face the fact that tptb fraked up big time in seasons two and three. Damage done; they are trying to fix it but the fix in some ex-fans eyes is all a little too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
            Fact still remains SGA has lots a lot of viewers, you can blame Skiffy or you can just face the fact that tptb fraked up big time in seasons two and three. Damage done; they are trying to fix it but the fix in some ex-fans eyes is all a little too late.
            However, that's not fact. It's your opinion. You're entitled to it and entitled to express it... but that don't make it fact.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
              I think this is the first we've heard of it. Odds are it's a spaceship of some sort.

The Phoenix Speculation Thread.
              oooh nice

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
              That drawing is wonderful! I want one!

As for the red-eye piccie...okay, that is REALLY disturbing! I know a few fans might think RCC is the devil incarnate, but this is just ridiculous!
              Me to. The work that must have gone in to create that must have been days. Maybe they'll do the same as they did with the watches (still waiting for and SGA version) and let us own one.

Or boring. Joe still hasn't realised that these people were fans once, they didn't wake up one day and decide to be nasty about SGA for the hell of it, they lost their shiny show.. they are upset about it, upset that tptb don't give a dam.

Fact still remains SGA has lost a lot of viewers, you can blame Skiffy or you can just face the fact that tptb fraked up big time in seasons two and three. Damage done; they are trying to fix it but the fix in some ex-fans eyes is all a little too late.
              Oh I think he does, he knows people are upset about the changes and has said so, and has even put in little things like the turtles (imo) as something for the fans. But the thing is and I really don't want to create a diplomatic incident (but probably will), but I agree with him. I can understand people being upset, but why not use that... zeal shall we say and putting that time and effort into something that could potentially be of benefit, like the SCB and SEW peeps did. To me they have my respect for all the work and effort they've done. For peeps, who constantly say, i'm not watching, I want it cancelled and throw their dummies out of the pram in a nasty way. I've really got no time for them. Thing is grief is a natural process with stages, but if you're (general) stuck in one phase, then it is self destructive. Been there, done that, got the medication.

Yes it has lost viewers, but for what reasons? Tivo/DVR, DL, character loss, other shows, being tech savvy? There are multiple reasons, and that's what is being said.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                However, that's not fact. It's your opinion. You're entitled to it and entitled to express it... but that don't make it fact.
                OK so explain the fall the dramatic fall in ratings? You can't have it both ways, either the show is still as good as season one and therefore should still have the same or better ratings or something happened for a lot of fans/viewers to make them stop watching in season's two and three.

Martin Gero said something a while back about being lucky to have such a good season one, but that the second season would not be a given that tptb would have to really work to keep those fans interested... well fans stopped being so interested, the ratings prove that. I still see no reason to doubt the figures. And in no one's mind is a new episode, a new season opener with less then 2.0 a good start, and if 1.2-1.5 was really a good start Joe would have been so much more optimistic about a season 5.

Sorry I say the ratings are a fact. I think only those in the business getting hit in the ratings department are looking for reasons, any reason to blame something else on the drop, but it is dramatic, and if they start with such a low base it will be hard to gain viewers during the rest of the season.

Also I am not impressed when Joe's attacks the person and not the criticism.
                Last edited by Willow'sCat; 05 October 2007, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Also I am not impressed when Joe's attacks the person and not the criticism.
                  sif, that's what makes it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                    sif, that's what makes it lol.
                    Oh right humour, forgot this is all a joke to him.

Comment

JM just updated his blog, lotsa pics.
                      Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                      Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                      Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                      --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...er-5-2007.html

PHOTOS!!!
                        1) Jason Momoa - scary!
                        2) Production person
                        3) Martin Gero and Jewel Staite
                        4) ?
                        5) ?
                        6) Carl Binder
                        7) ?
                        8) ?
                        9) ?
                        10) Carl Binder and his luggage

excerpt:
                        Today is our last production day on Stargate Atlantis’s fourth season and, looking back, I have to say it’s been an exciting/challenging/frustrating/satisfying/whirlwind year. It feels like only weeks ago we were all reconvening, first draft scripts in hand, poised to produce what we hoped would be the best season of the show yet. And looking back over what we’ve accomplished this year, I’m pleased to say that we succeeded. If viewers are able to put aside reservations they may have about the much-discussed cast changes, I’m sure they’ll agree (or, at the very least, be hard-pressed to disagree) that the stories we told this year were more arc-driven, richly textured, and character-centered than ever before. And that the show has never looked so good. I’m extremely satisfied with the end-product, and extremely satisfied with all of the hard work put in by the cast, crew, writers - pretty much everyone who stepped up and helped make this such a terrific year.

Some have asked me about my vacation plans during the hiatus and whether I’d be taking time off. Well, it really depends. If the show doesn’t get picked up, I’ll probably be working on pilot scripts are heading down to L.A. for meetings. If the show does get picked up, then we’ll be spinning stories and heading off to write - over the hiatus. So, time off in the long-term? No. Time off in the short-term? Sort of. I’m so exhausted that I think I’ll be sleeping straight through next week and well into word on the show’s fate.

Today’s pics: Some of the people I worked with this year.

Today’s video: Marty G. bids season four a fond farewell.
                        http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/e...ndfarewell.flv

Today’s mailbag:

Amanda H. writes: “Personal question tho, are you really going to keep the fish?”

Answer: The fish now reside with our visual effects department. I have visitation rights though.

AnneTeddy writes: “Anyone who thinks acting is always a glamorous job should check out yesterday's video. Did he lose any skin filming that?”

Answer: No because we didn’t use actual sand. Our special effects team purchased 1000 lbs of cornmeal for that sequence. Cornmeal and something else, I can’t remember what. Maybe oats? Apparently one offers the correct look while the other offers the proper consistency that allows it to fly and swirl.

Chevron7 writes: “Why aren't promos and trailers for Atlantis broadcasted on other networks to get the show known by more and more people?”

Answer: It isn’t really in a network’s best interest to run promos for one of their competitor‘s shows.

Anonymous #1 writes: “Yes maybe Tivo, time slot, publicity (or lack thereof), DVR, VCR, downloads, iTunes, etc., hurt the show but it is silly to continue to deny that how changes made were handled and implemented also played a part in SG-1 ratings and will likely play a part in SGA ratings.”

Answer: Again, you’re putting words in my mouth. While a fan could well argue that an uptick or downturn in ratings could be linked to any of a number of creative decisions, the effects of Tivo and DVR, the internet, and the proliferation of channels are factors that are much harder to dispute given the amount of research done and being done on the topic. In other words: Did season 9 of SG-1 suffer a loss because we lost the goa’uld as a central villain? Sure, that’s a possible explanation, but at the end of the day there’s no way of knowing for sure. On the other hand: Are television ratings being effected by DVR and the internet? According to the research being done, the answer is a most definite yes.

Anonymous #2 writes: “It may be that addressing the criticism instead of ignoring it will turn out to be a better answer to the problems than the patches that have been pasted on so far.”

Answer: What exactly do you mean by “addressing the criticism“? Agree with our point of view? And with respect to the criticism leveled at some of the creative changes that were made, we can agree to disagree.

Katie writes: “1) Do you watch SGA on Fridays or do you watch other shows? If you have time that is. 2)Are you guys worried about the competition from the Network shows like 20/20, Las Vegas or Numb3rs?

Answers: 1) I live in Canada, so we don’t get to see Stargate on SciFi. 2) Sure, but I’m a perennial worrier.

SMB Books writes: “What I disagreed with was your decision to use the words “inhuman amount of ignorance”. Granted, that may be your genuine feeling on the matter, but is labeling a group of fans in that manner necessary?”

Answer: I was being sarcastic. Quite literally, to deny the facts is either ridiculously ignorant or, more likely, simply a refusal on the part of certain fans to entertain the notion that other influences may be at work here.

SMB Books also writes: “I’m still in that group that is hoping we get a Season 5 so I have a chance for many more episodes with my favorite character returning to the team. I do have a chance, don’t I?”

Answer: As I’ve often said -this is scifi. Anything can happen!

SMB Books also also writes: “if email for you is sent to the Bridge Studios general email inbox, will it get forwarded to you?”

Answer: Yep.

Caty writes: “Was that Joe or BamBam in the vid?”

Answer: That was Joe.

Anonymous #4 writes: “The bone of contention is that you will not admit that the cast changes could in any way, cause a drop in ratings.”

Answer: Could they? Sure. Did they? That is obviously up for debate.
                        Last edited by prion; 05 October 2007, 04:30 PM.

Comment

lol aren't there 12 pics?
                          Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                          Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                          Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                          --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

OK so explain the fall the dramatic fall in ratings?
                            I'll just copy and paste a question from Joe's blog today:

Yes maybe Tivo, time slot, publicity (or lack thereof), DVR, VCR, downloads, iTunes, etc., hurt the show
                            ...and perhaps quality. But as Joe (and I) has elaborated, quality hurting the show's numbers is all opinion with no proof, while there is definite proof with those other things I just listed.

You can't have it both ways, either the show is still as good as season one and therefore should still have the same or better ratings or something happened for a lot of fans/viewers to make them stop watching in season's two and three.
                            Such a simplistic view.

Sorry I say the ratings are a fact. I think only those in the business getting hit in the ratings department are looking for reasons, any reason to blame something else on the drop, but it is dramatic, and if they start with such a low base it will be hard to gain viewers during the rest of the season.
                            Of course the ratings are a fact, but how you interpret that fact is based solely on evidence, which, unfortunately for you, doesn't seem to exist much in the way of quality, but instead, there are plenty of evidence suggesting that technology has a hand in it (but not THE hand, maybe).

Comment

Well PG all I know is once this show hardly had any anti peeps now it has more then its fair share... people have turned off, that cannot be denied. The ratings are proof even if you want to believe the spin. I can bet you one thing if the opener got a 2.4 there would be no questioning of the ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                                lol aren't there 12 pics?
                                Um, oh, yes, did that as a test *cough* yeah

I'll just copy and paste a question from Joe's blog today:

...and perhaps quality. But as Joe (and I) has elaborated, quality hurting the show's numbers is all opinion with no proof, while there is definite proof with those other things I just listed.
                                Quality is in the eye of the beholder, and while TPTB may say they put out a quality product, it may be in their eyes, but it depends upon what the viewer thinks that matters the most. If they go "blech, don't like it, sucks," then nothing is gonna convince them to watch it (although I dare say Skiffy is doing their best to get viewers for Flash Gordon by putting in two minute BSG "Razor" ads each episode).

And meanwhile, David Nykl has updated his blog with more last day pictures

http://lettersfrompegasus.blogspot.c...christmas.html

David Hewlett, David Nykl, Amanda Tapping and "Chuck."

Comment

Working...
                                X