Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-and-sweaters/

January 29, 2016

Photos: Chef Mallozzi Spaghetti & Meatballs, Brandon Tataryn

Check it out! The pasta of the future! Chef Mallozzi Spaghetti & Meatballs! Perfect for those nights you don’t feel like taking the transport shuttle to the moon base market for a supply run. Thanks to 1st Assistant Art Director and Graphics Maestro Roxanne Borris for immortalizing me in Dark Matter art department lore (since this particular label will never actually make it into an episode).

Speaking of food – I’m pleased to report I’ve made significant progress on my new get fit program for 2016. A combination of early morning workouts, protein shake breakfasts, sensible lunches and dinners (punctuated by the occasional cheat meal) have yielded impressive results. Four weeks ago, when I tried on that suit I had made in Hong Kong back in 2004, I couldn’t close the outside clasp, much less the button on the pants. Three weeks ago, I was able to close the clasp – but the button was still a no go. Two weeks ago, I was able to close both button and clasp in highly uncomfortable fashion. One week ago, the pants were a snug fit. Monday is the final “pants-in”. I feel like one of those contestants on that reality show where people lose all that weight, take part in challenges, and avoid getting voted out in a bid to win the big cash prize. It think it’s called Survivor.

Check out our snazzy-looking 1st Assistant Director, Brandon Tataryn (named after the disease from Episode 1o7. Or maybe the disease was named after him. I don’t recall.). Today, during our Playback meeting, VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson accused him of wearing a Christmas sweater in January. Brandon claimed it was, in fact, a space-themed sweater and the design is a totally apropos depiction of dark matter. Then, about an hour later, he claimed it was a star field. I mean, what’s next? Asteroid belt?

What do you think? Please cast your vote below…
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ason-2-teaser/

January 30, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter concept art

Most shows are fairly secretive about production. Sneak peeks and behind-the-scenes tidbits are rare because TPTB fear the release of the dreaded “spoiler”. And what, exactly, constitutes a spoiler? Well, opinions vary but shows tend to err on the side of caution, preferring to keep most things under wraps. That means no set photos, script hints, or concept-to-completion insights in the lead up to broadcast. And I get it. But, from my experience working on Stargate, I always thought it a shame to hold off on those cool and informative “extras” until after the episodes aired because, at that point, you’re just preaching to the converted. I’d argue why not reward the converted with a few visual appetizers to bridge the lengthy gap between seasons? Now don’t get me wrong. I’m the last guy who’d want to ruin your viewing experience by spoiling the coming surprises in store, but I’d argue that there’s a difference between “teasers” and “spoilers”. I adhere to wiki’s definition of the spoiler: “an element of a disseminated summary or description of any piece of fiction that reveals any plot elements which threaten to give away important details concerning the turn of events of a dramatic episode“. You won’t find those on this blog. Teasers, on the other hand, are tasty little visuals to tide you over. Sort of like…

We needed a distinct-looking building for an upcoming episode and the Dark Matter Art Department knew just the man for the job. Illustrator Bartol Rendulic has contributed to the show since its inception, sketching a designing innumerable ships and space stations including our very own Raza.

In this case, Bart gave us a plethora of early concepts to choose from. We all gravitated to #5, above, but I ultimately thought it would make a better starship. What do you think?

#8 really stood out for us as well, an imposing building with a crystaline structure.

Lots to love in this batch too. #9 and #10 were favorites, although we thought #10 could use another tiny abutment higher up and to the right of the structure.

Some pretty inspired creations that are somewhat reminiscent of actual far-out buildings in Dubai.

Probably the most unique of the bunch. I was drawn to #14 because I thought it looked like a rabbit. Am I crazy?

#17 looks particularly fearsome. I’d imagine sky drivers getting impaled all the time.

Also very cool, this bunch reminded me of the Fortress of Solitude.

I tend to prefer symmetrical designs but there was something about these two.

Beautiful. For some reason, whenever I see these three, I imagine a trio of leggy woman in evening gowns. Of course, I reviewed these after our whisky club meeting so…

We ended up choosing #10 (with the minor alteration). We needed it sketched, in-story, and this was the first go by 1st Assistant Art Director Roxanne Borris. Ultimately, we decided we didn’t need to see the alleyway and should just feature the building. We wanted the sketch to be a little more detailed and closer to the original.

And Roxanne delivered (as usual).

Bart, meanwhile, brought his original vision to life in spectacular fashion:

Gorgeous, no?

From here, it’s off to visual effects whose job it will be to model, build, and bring the building to life.

But that’s a teaser for another blog entry.

http://bartoleum.deviantart.com/

http://bartoleum.artstation.com/

http://drawcrowd.com/bartoleum/projects
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...kend-round-up/

January 31, 2016

Photos: Lulu, Jodelle Ferland, Akemi, Bubba, eclairs, John Stead, Ron Murphy

Something weird’s been up with Lulu lately, and I’m not referring to her fashion sense. She’s been up at all hours of the night, drinking a lot (water only as I keep the whisky bottles out of reach), and seems to have lost a lot of the bulldogly exuberance that made her alternately adorable and annoying. She has also been experiencing some rear limb weakness and, as a result, we’re off to consult with a neurologist tomorrow. I’ll suppress the urge to submit the above picture as evidence of her unusual behavior for fear they’ll forego any actual tests and just admit her to the nearest doggy mental hospital.

Last night, she was up continually jumping off the bed, pacing about, drinking water, asking me to help her back onto the bed in her imitable way. And I was up for most of the night with her. On the bright side, I finished the fourth act of my latest script and came up with two terrific ideas – one to pay off a story element set up earlier in the script, another to bring back a certain character introduced in season one…in unexpected and shocking fashion. Who needs sleep?!

Otherwise, it was a relaxing weekend. Yesterday, Akemi and I got together with Jodelle (aka FIVE), to hit up the local farmer’s market. Akemi and I picked up fruits, veggies, and fish. Jodelle…

After that, we hit the dog park where Lulu ignored the other dogs and an equally unsocial Bubba hung out with mom –

This morning, it was brunch with most of the crew of the Raza. I held off on the tasty-looking bread pudding and cinnamon rolls with whipped cream in favor of my one weekend cheat snack:

They were good, but Nugateau’s eclairs are still the ones to beat. Their dark chocolate versions are unbelievably decadent while their take on the pistachio eclair is probably the best dessert bite I’ve enjoyed in a loooong time.

Back to it tomorrow. Is this the week I finally finish this script? Possibly. But it own’t get any easier as I’ll be on and off set, overseeing production on Episode 204 (with director John Stead) and prepping Episode 205 (with director Ron Murphy). Check ’em out in action!
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...matter-doings/

February 1, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Joe Mallozzi, Ron Murphy

Spaaaaaaace neeeerd!

Ahem. Now that I’ve got that out of my system…

With Consulting Producer Ivon Bartok on set, I was able to sit in my office and blaze through seven glorious pages of my latest script (questions, silver ball, impending doom, threats, danger, explosion) bringing me to the top of P.51. I figure I’ll finish up the fifth act tomorrow and then, it’ll be smooooooooth sailing!

In addition to writing this afternoon, I also found time for the Episode #205 props meeting. We’ll be bringing out the big guns for this one –

Literally. In addition to the heavy firepower, we’ll also be putting out all the stops as this will probably be our biggest visual effects episode to date.

Director Ron Murphy demonstrates improper gun handling…

This morning, we brought Lulu to see the neurologist. We were greeted by a young intern who did the preliminary examination before we were joined by the good doctor. Noting my phone number and the fact that I was out of town, he asked what I was doing in Toronto. I informed him I was shooting a scifi series called Dark Matter. At the words Dark Matter, the intern slapped her hands over her mouth, her eyes wide, and gasped. For a second, I thought “Oh, no. She left the stove on!”. Instead, it was: “Dark Matter!”. Apparently, she’s a fan of the show!

Anyway, all good on the Lulu front. They doubt its neurological and suspect it may be a back issue that won’t require surgery. We’re going to try her on Metacam for a week and see if that makes a difference.

Finally, let me leave you with this –

Yeah! We’re going to Balda-9!
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-matter-front/

February 2, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Lulu, Tehya, Melissa O’Neil

Due to other production commitments (mainly prep, writing, and editing), I haven’t spent as much time on set as I might have liked for this latest episode. Fortunately, my former Stargate cohort, Ivon Bartok, has done a bang-up job overseeing the action in my absence. So good, in fact, that I could probably stay in Vancouver next season and Skype in for meetings (Don’t think I haven’t thought about it). Today, however, was one of those rare instances where I actually spent a good part of the morning on set – in this case, watching the fantastic John Stead in action. He positively tore through those early scenes – bridge, airlock, quarters, and the meaningful hug (the second of the season so far) – and managed to run through the big fight sequence before lunch.

The rest of his day was spent on the fight but, alas, I didn’t get to see it as I was in the production offices for most of the afternoon, in and out of meetings. Oh, also the read-thru for episode 205 which was followed by a delightful tete-a-tete with actress Zoie Palmer (Android) over Japanese whisky and script notes.

Off to watch Steve Dimarco’s director’s cut of Episode 203. Allow me to leave you with a double dose of french bulldog…
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...n-dark-matter/

February 3, 2016

Photos: Vanessa Piazza, Bruce McDonald, Transfer 2.0 transit, Jozie Conte

Sometimes, when you’re on set, you come across the strangest sights. Like today, for instance, when I happen across Executive Producer Vanessa Piazza in the midst of her workout. Her killer regimen involves cardio, eating right, and heavy HEAVY weights. Check her out…

Then she concludes her routine by tossing anvils at parked cars.

Well, look who swung by the office today…in the mistaken assumption that he had prep meetings today on Episode 206. That’s right! It’s everyone’s favorite rebel cowboy director Bruce McDonald.

Hey, who’s up for a little getaway?

In the news that will no doubt make your day, I wrote the final scene of act today, meaning I have only one more scene to write for the tag at which I’ll have one rough first draft script!

After watching the first three cuts of the year, I have to say you’re all in for one helluva kick-ass season 2.

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to Dark Matter on-set supervisor and birthday gal Jozie Conte!
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...atter-goodies/

February 4, 2016

Video: Dark Matter - Motion Sensors Triggered

Photos: Akemi's text, Charlie, Emily Coutts

Dating Akemi is always an adventure. Every text is a little treasure offering cultural insights into the land of the rising sun. Take yesterday, for instance, when I received THIS text:

My reaction was “Hunh?”.

Oh, okay, because I was throwing the soy beans BEFORE seeing the demon.

P.S. I going to assume the demon was the Charlie the superintendent.

Hey, check out our guest off-screen eyeline for Episode 204: Mortadella Boy!

The lovely Emily Coutts (a.k.a. Sylvia) welcomes you to transfer transit. (Photo and hair courtesy of Renee Chan). Where would you like to travel today? Your choices below:

Motion Sensors Triggered. Where? By who? Find out in season 2 of Dark Matter. (Graphics c/o artist Victor Mare).

Happy belated birthday to Ganymede and 2 cats! This blog entry is dedicated to you!
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...l-steam-ahead/

February 5, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Melanie Liburd, intergalactic visitor passport, poll

Ah, finally, the weekend is upon us. Time for rest, relaxation..and a special second unit Saturday shoot. Though, in all honesty, these Saturday shoots are becoming less uncommon and, so, not particularly special. Just saying, guys.

Not that I don’t enjoy my time with my co-workers. If I was trapped on a space ship millions of light years from home, I couldn’t imagine a better bunch of crew mates.

But, alas, tomorrow we won’t be sailing through the distant stars. We’ll, instead, be getting down an dirty in a certain alleyway.

By next week, I’m sure I’ll be looking forward to returning to dark alleys as we’ll be spending three glorious days in a row in The Hammer, shooting in the forest, then over to the hideout before heading underground. I’ll be taking my heavy coat, boots, gloves and…what else? What else should I be packing?

Oh, right. Melanie Liburd (Nyx) is prepared for the elements – and whatnot.

But first, a quick stopover. Through the airlock to Balda-9.

Please don’t forget your intergalactic visitor passport!

Hey, check out the trailer for Mike Dopud’s new movie, Virtual Revolution:

http://youtu.be/ZoBAjQBBNIk

On a presumably unrelated note, Akemi and I had dinner with the actor who plays Arax Nero on this latest season of Dark Matter. Great guy. This will make five different shows I’ve cast him in (playing six different roles). You’re going to love his character. Or hate him. Or love-hate him. We’ll see how it goes.

Finally, here are the results to yesterday’s poll. What is your preferred transfer transit destination. Well, the clear winner was…

The city of Atlantis. Okay. Now all we have to do is either build a transfer transit system or convince MGM to green light a Stargate: Atlantis movie or (better yet!) sixth season. Not sure which one will be easier…
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...turday-scenes/

February 6, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter

Today saw a wrap on two different directors and their respective episodes – Steve Dimarco (Episode 203) and John Stead (Episode 204). I dropped in for about an hour in the morning for the alley scene. Two (more like three) outstanding scenes will find their way into the pre-existing director’s cut of 203, a dynamic episode that the diehard Dark Matter fans will appreciate. Then, later this week, I’ll receive the director’s cut of our epic western, 204. Much like Stargate, what I love about this show is the fact that we produce thirteen mini movies a year, each one unique and independent and yet, simultaneously, narratively linked to a greater arc that builds throughout the season.

I gave you all a look at the concept drawing in yesterday’s blog entry. Today, here’s a glimpse at the set – prior to atmosphere and lighting…

Had a very Blade Runner-esque feel. The blue screen off the back will allow VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson to work his magic.

A cleaner look. Production Designer Ian Brock and his team have really wowed this year and, on this day, delivered three exceptional sets. More on the other two in the coming days.

A couple of looks from the other side.

My camera doesn’t do it justice, but the other cameras that were capturing the action certainly will.

Setting up a stunt.

Production on Dark Matter’s second season is going fast. In a few short weeks, we’ll be hitting the halfway mark of the schedule. And we still have scripts to write! And this blog to update with oodles of stuff, from on set pics to concept art, crew Q&A’s to live periscopes.

You are all in for a treat!
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...bruary-7-2016/

February 7, 2016

Photos: The Dark Matter noodle bar, Joe Mallozzi, Akemi, Vanessa Piazza, Ian Brock, Lawren Bancroft-Wilson

Yesterday, after visiting the alley set, Dark Matter Executive Producer Vanessa Piazza, Akemi, and I stopped by a nearby noodle bar. How nearby? Well, try two sets over from that alley set.

Following through on that Blade Runner vibe. Steam and neon!

The place was new. How new? Well, when we walked in, they were still painting the tabletops!

You’re all aware of the importance I place on ceilings and floors? Well, note the scorch and splatter details overhead, the mark(s) of a great greasy fry place.

And signage is, of course, always key. You have six menu items to choose from.

Our affable host: Production Designer Ian Brock.

Vanessa and I sample the ramen.

The magic of television!

VFX Supervisor/Head Chef Lawren Bancroft-Wilson argues with a Japanese customer placing her order.

BIG week ahead! Starting a new script, rewriting another, locking episode 203, and reviewing the episode 204 director’s cut. Production returns to our standing sets tomorrow, then shifting to Hamilton for three days before returning to shoot “in the bowels of the hideout”.

Also on tap for this week, YOU get to choose an episode title for the third episode of Dark Matter’s second season. As my second grade teacher, Mrs. Vowels used to say: “Put on your thinking caps!”
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...atter-episode/

February 8, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Victoria Klein

Yesterday, I watched the Superbowl with some of my co-workers: co-creator Paul Mullie, VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft Wilson, Line Producer Norman Denver, 1st Assistant Director Brandon Tataryn, and their respective families (almost all of who were rooting for the Broncos), and actor Anthony Lemke who, always the contrarian, was rooting for the Panthers. We gathered at Norman’s favorite pub where we ate wings, mini yorkshire puddings, and sticky toffee puddings while watching approximately four hours of commercials interspersed with sporadic actual game play.

And then, today, it was back at it! While Dark Matter co-creator Paul Mullie was prepping episode 206, and consulting producer Ivon Bartok was overseeing the action on set, I was working on the rewrite for episode 209. I want to say there’s a shocking reveal in this episode but, really, that would be redundant because shocking reveals – well, they were the norm in Dark Matter’s first season and they look to be de rigueur this upcoming season as well.

So, who’s up for a little voting? Yes, it’s time to call on all Dark Matter fandom to take the time to weigh in with your thoughts on a new episode title. In this case, we’re looking to title our third episode of this young season. And the nominees are…

The polls will be open for the next 24 hours!

Finally, let me leave you with a few behind-the-scenes Dark Matter goodies…

A little sketch compliments of costume designer Noreen Landry.

A little gadget compliments of props master Victoria Klein.

And a little glimpse of some on set action. Any guesses as to what is going on here?
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...tter-season-2/

February 9, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Matti Huhta, Melanie Liburd, Anthony Lemke, Drew Williams, Ivon Bartok, Jozie Conte, Jean Brophy, Ron Murphy, Alyssa Pawlak, Matt Purdy

Today, the cast and crew hit the wilds of Hamilton for a little main unit photography.

Some exclusive behind the scenes pics…

Gator alert! Avoid the swamp!

Setting up the day’s first shot. It was chilly, but not unbearably so. That, I suspect, will change tomorrow.

Script Supervisor Matti Huhta, dressed for the weather. For my part, I wore four layers – but I’m thinking of increasing to seven for our second Hamilton main unit day.

My best friend on this day: Heaty McWarmerson.

Melanie Liburd (Nyx) and Anthony Lemke (THREE) enjoy the fresh air.

Catching a ride back to base camp?

Boom Operator Drew Williams does a little dusting between set-ups. Note his electric coat.

Drew and Consulting Producer Ivon Bartok upstaged by photobombing On Set Wardrobe Supervisor Jozie Conte.

On-Set Dresser and Snow Raker Jean Brophy in action.

Director Ron Murphy braving the elements. Not pictured: his running shoes.

Director of Photography overseeing the action. Or eating ortolans.

Stand-ins Alyssa Pawlak and Matt Purdy loving the outdoors.
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nd-the-scenes/

February 10, 2016

Photos: Joe Mallozzi, Marc Bendavid, Dark Matter, Brandon Tataryn, Melanie Liburd, Melissa O’Neil, Nikki Moss, Lisa Amaral Wright

Today, we were back in The Hammer for some interior run and gun…

This morning, I took no chances, opting for not two, not three, not four, not five, but SIX layers of clothing. I felt like Ralphie’s little brother from A Christmas Story.

I left my place for Hamilton at 6:15 a.m. The drive over was…what’s the word?…Oh, yeah. Harrowing. Rain, snow, and long stretches of sporadically lit highway.

Marc Bendavid (ONE) dressed for the weather.

The location was, I believe, a former serial killer hangout. Could be wrong. But probably not.

1st Assistant Director Brandon Tataryn dressed for that big jewel heist after wrap.

Setting up the big train ride shot.

Girl power! Melanie Liburd (Nyx) and Melissa O’Neil (TWO) on the set of Dark Matter.

Girl Power 2! Gun girls Nikki Moss and Lisa Amaral Wright.

BTW – We have an official title for episode 203! But that’s an announcement for another blog entry…
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...s-memory-lane/

February 11, 2016

Photos: Poll, Dark Matter

As promised, here is the Episode 203 title chosen by YOU, the viewers and voters:

“Episode 15: I’ve Seen The Other Side Of You”.

So far, I’m 2 for 3 in the title game. Prior to this one, I was secretly rooting for “Kill Them All”, the eventual winner in the last round. Alas, “Most Noobs Try It” lost out to “Welcome To Your New Home” in the first episode-naming poll of the season – but I’m on a bit of a hot streak. Let’s see if it continues next week when I once again ask you to Pick the Episode Title, this time for Episode 204!

Coming our way via 1st Assistant Art Director Roxanne Borris is this intriguing mystery logo. But what could it mean? Tune in to Dark Matter’s second season to find out.

Also by way of Roxanne, options on some soon-to-be-feature gun stalks. She prefers #1 which is a mix of both Pewter Metallic as well as Carbon Fibre vinyl. What do you think?

A blast from the past – and a little something from the Roxanne Borris archives. The original Cygni-4 crest featured in season 1.

Also the design for the pill labels currently on display in the Raza infirmary.

And this was the logo of the ISS Far Horizon, featured back in Episode 105.

She designed several different options for the Dwarf Star Technologies logo. We eventually settled on #1.

She’s one hell of a talent, no?
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...n-and-goodies/

February 12, 2016

Video: Dark Matter Season 2 - Hold PodMonitor

Photos: Dark Matter, Joe Mallozzi

Ooh la la. A little something from the Hyperion-8 Jump Into Spring Collection.

The most popular producer on set! Morning truffles (Early Grey and Bourbon) compliments of Akemi.

I’ll just leave this rock wall right here and pick it up later.

Marc Bendavid (ONE) snacks between set-ups.

So, uh, what’s behind the big rusty door?

The women of scifi. Photo by Ron Murphy.

The Raza crew. Photo by Anne Featherstone.

Overseeing the tunnel action.

And, to finish, a little something from 2nd Assistant Art Director Sumeet Vat:
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X