Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...oliday-hounds/

December 24, 2007

Photos: A skinny Christmas tree + creepy grandma statue, followed by the pooches dressed up for the holidays!

Write-Up: Decorating the tree, followed by...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all of you from all of us -

Joe, Aloysius P. Hazzencockle, Percival H. Lintmuffin, Edward Witney, Abigail Wazznucklegrant, Merton Castrati, Doogie Chapadapalapolous, Norman Shuttlecock Jr., Alphonso Rubello, Helena Krumpett-Fullbottom, Margaret Quibble, Fortescu Strickland Von Letterdam Junior, Florence Shezzledap, Melvin’s Kidnappers, Agent Wexler, Cookie Monster, and Baron Destructo.

Cc: Calamitous Jane, Glaxnor the Miscreant, Sinderella Washington, Xxxaptak’qul, Dr. Catastro, Dr. Disastro, Dr. Quinn Meddlesome Woman, Ray Mephistopheles, Archfiend Animus, Brutus Badly, the Plague Zombies, Vorzik the Planet Squisher, the Malevolater, Count Sinister, Kugal Baruth, Death Knell, Star Father Celestio, Shatterdam, Princess Arcana, the Mystifier, the Procrastinator, the Soul Emancipator, Quickstrike, Professor Frosty, Flamer the Flaming Man, the Pummeler, the Purple Lamprey, and John Tesh.
    Questions:

Aelfgyu writes: “I saw your mention of getting a show’s bible to write for it; are there SG-1 and SGA bibles?”

Answer: No, there aren’t.

Royal Nonesuch writes: “Have you ever considered adding a military chaplain, or some such other character to bring htose topics in a little more?”

Answer: To be honest, it is something we have yet to seriously consider.

Majorsal writes: “if you were thinking about doing anymore exploring of the city?”

Answer: It was a topic we discussed back in November.

Kdvb1 writes: “Did you actually consider killing off MCKAY??”

Answer: This is how rumors get started. To answer your question - no.

Wams352 writes: “Can you explain if DirectTV (or other satellite) ratings/viewers really don’t count?”

Answer: It’s not that they don’t count but SciFi, which pays the licensing fee for our show, is understandably more focused on the numbers pulled in on their network.

Paloosa writes: “As digital product slowly replaces physical product, the problem will become even more acute.”

Answer: Interesting insights and very true. Instead of playing catch-up, all the industries effected need to come up with a better game plan to deal with the constantly evolving technology.

Old Timer writes: “ But it’s been a long time in the making. I don’t mean the betrayal, I mean the leak. I’ve been a long, long fan of your show, from before you and Paul were even on staff. Those were the blissful days, when I knew I could come be a part of fandom online with my “Gate” friends and not have to worry about spoilers. […] You will of course think that this is our responsibility, not yours. You’re wrong. It’s on you. Don’t say we can just avoid them. They’re too pervasive, too common. To do that, we’d have to forsake our friends, both online and off.”

Answer: You’re comparing your t.v.-viewing experience of today to that of ten years ago and, in all fairness, a lot has changed. For starters, the role of the internet has grown considerably in the decade since the show premiered. There are many, many more fans online now with many, many more resources to choose from, official and fan-driven sites dedicated to the multitude of fans clamoring for information about the show. The popularity of the Stargate franchise has also grown considerably in ten years and, as a result, so have the marketing prospects open to it. The ever-increasing number of genre magazines, newspapers, and E.T.-style shows looking for a new story, a different angle, a scoop, force us to walk a very fine line between balancing opportunities to promote the show and maintaining the show’s integrity. To that end, we’ve always strived to make the distinction between teasers (tidbits concerning upcoming episodes designed to whet a fan’s appetite without spoiling the episode for them) and spoilers (which, essentially, ruin the surprises in store). Furthermore, while you may think it’s only a simple matter of keeping spoilers under wraps, that’s easier said than done. We can ask fan sites not to reveal upcoming storylines, request that the network not give away major plot twists in their promos, try our best to hide casting and script developments from prying eyes, but let’s just say it doesn’t always work out the way we’d like it to.

I do, however, take exception to your equating the information revealed in promos and interviews (and even this blog) to the theft and illegal uploading of an unfinished movie. The former involves teasers, and certainly in some cases spoilers, that have either been released by the production to help promote the show, or acquired through public resources. The latter involves someone breaking the law. There’s a huge difference.

Finally, while I find your defeatest attitude regarding your experience somewhat puzzling. You say you don’t like to be spoiled, yet are clearly unwilling to avoid the potential for being spoiled by frequenting forums where said spoilers are being discussed. Granted, you don’t want to cut yourself off from your online friends but most every Stargate forum I’ve visited offers plenty of spoiler-free threads for discussion. It’s just a matter of exercising self-control and not wading into threads where you know spoilers will be discussed.

Longest. Answer. EVAR.

A. writes: “Is it standard practice for US networks to send unfinished copies of shows to reviewers?”

Answer: No, it isn’t. Finished copies were supposed to go out but somebody screwed up and sent out the wrong version. This was quickly rectified when the mistake was discovered and new versions sent out - but, by that time, the unfinished versions had already found their way online.

Gennifer wrote: “ SQ2839, learn to do your research. If you did, you might find this comment: “Raoul: In retrospect, how do you feel about the decision to go in a different direction with the Weir character? JM: Personally, I feel good because I was in on the decision-making process there….”

Answer: Hey, here’s an idea: instead of reprimanding someone else on doing proper research, maybe you should take your own advice and be a little more thorough in interpreting my words. The question I was asked was: “In retrospect, how do you feel about the decision to go in a different direction with the Weir character?” It wasn’t “Are you happy that you got rid of Weir?” or “Are you glad you replaced Weir?”. It was, very clearly, a response to a question about the creative direction of her character. So, in the future, either be a little more honest in your interpretation. Or, failing that, do a much better job of taking my words out of context.

A writes: “Oh, look, here’s a link to the article where JM says he feels good about the decision to remove Weir […] Now how about you stop accusing people of lying to suit their own agendas?”

Answer: That’s kind of hard to do when individuals such as yourself are doing just that. “Joe says he’s happy he got rid of Torri!”is the one I hear repeated which, pretty clearly (and thanks for the link that helps me prove this point) misrepresents what I actually said - that I felt good about the creative direction we were going with her character.

(zuz's smilie says: Have a happy, safe, and evil holidays!)

Comment

Does JM have to deal with people who are spreading their own false interpretation of what he said?

People seemed to have taken his Weir comments wrong to the point they were willing to start some sort of argument on his own blog.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
        It's bad enough that someone uploaded a pirated incomplete version of AoT to the internet...what's worse are the supposed "fans" who would download it, and then have the gall to review the movie online -- whether on blogs or in forums.

Morjana
        I agree...and I don't want to see it til it's done, anyway. People need to consider the ethics of their actions. This could put Stargate's future in jeopardy. If the movie gets bad "reviews" because it's incomplete (lacking in special effects, sound, music, etc.), then it could affect the sales...and the chance of future movies.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
          I agree...and I don't want to see it til it's done, anyway. People need to consider the ethics of their actions. This could put Stargate's future in jeopardy. If the movie gets bad "reviews" because it's incomplete (lacking in special effects, sound, music, etc.), then it could affect the sales...and the chance of future movies.
          I really don't think there is any danger as long as it is really good.

I remember being a huge Babylon 5 fan. There was a pivotal episode of Babylon 5 that got leaked. I can't remember if it was because it ran in the UK first or if someone saw it on satellite as it got downloaded to the stations. But, someone wrote a synopsis of the episode which I read online.

It sounded so good, it made me all the more anxious to actually see it. As far as I know, no one who saw it or read the spoilers had anything negative to say about it.

When the episode ran in the U.S., it got really good ratings.

A really good story holds up whether its read as text or seen with partial SFX.

Effects, music, and such can enhance a good story, but it can't turn a mediocre story into a great story. A great story can be told on an empty stage with no props.

I think the basic quality of the story and the skills of the storytellers will determine if there is more Stargate, not whether it was leaked or not and not whether the effects are in place.

If the story requires effects to be "good", I think they've already failed.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post

I remember being a huge Babylon 5 fan. There was a pivotal episode of Babylon 5 that got leaked. I can't remember if it was because it ran in the UK first or if someone saw it on satellite as it got downloaded to the stations. But, someone wrote a synopsis of the episode which I read online.

It sounded so good, it made me all the more anxious to actually see it. As far as I know, no one who saw it or read the spoilers had anything negative to say about it.

Effects, music, and such can enhance a good story, but it can't turn a mediocre story into a great story. A great story can be told on an empty stage with no props.

I think the basic quality of the story and the skills of the storytellers will determine if there is more Stargate, not whether it was leaked or not and not whether the effects are in place.

This story - "The Ark of Truth" doesn't require complete effects to be "good", it is GREAT already. Big jump in the sales rank at Amazon.com after the leak proved it. MGM has nothing to fear about, it's gonna be more dangerous for the sales numbers when the DVD will be on the market and DVD rip will be available illegally for download.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
              This story - "The Ark of Truth" doesn't require complete effects to be "good", it is GREAT already. Big jump in the sales rank at Amazon.com after the leak proved it. MGM has nothing to fear about, it's gonna be more dangerous for the sales numbers when the DVD will be on the market and DVD rip will be available illegally for download.
              That is quite true. While I could see a large group of people watching it illegally with the leak, the amount doing it with the dvdrip will seriously outnumber the leak viewers.

The only good thing about it is the fact that orders have went up, showing that at least people are more interested in buying it now.

It is just a shame that it took a leak for people to preorder it. Fans should have been able to trust everyone involved and preordered it anyway, or at least preordered it because they wanted to know what happens next instead of having to rely on an illegal version just to boost fan interest in buying the DVD.

So yes the leak may have been good from a sales/preorder point of view, but it makes stargate fans look bad because they weren't willing to buy it without watching it. However, MGM is partly to blame for dicking around with trailers and previews, because the same thing may have happened if MGM were to release actual trailers instead of promo's using series footage.

If someone who has the leak were able to make a trailer or two using non spoiler footage from the leak, it could even add to sales for those like myself who won't watch the leak so don't have the opportunity to see what makes the movie great.

sigpic

Comment

I would green you if I could.

I remember when Dune (1984) came out. The author Frank Herbert, if I recall correctly, had endorsed the film. I thought If the author approves then the storyline should match his. I was disappointed.

The producers where more impressed with the sets and SFX then they were the storyline. Which is why I liked the remake, the mini-series on sci-fi.

Also preorders are something akin to an item that you put on hold. Some people do change threir minds, and the store has to put the item back in general stock.

Comment

Goodness, we agree on something. The world is coming to an end!
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

So true! If a studio thinks that SPX must be the reason for the story to float, then they have no idea of how to make great entertainment. I think that all TV writers should watch a number of plays, particularly those with static sets, no music, no 'special effects'. Writing is what holds entertainment together. SPX is just like icing on a cake, that's all. If the cake sucks, the icing ain't gonna help.

I must admit I don't bother pre-ordering any of the gates or heck, any DVD now that I think of it, as I simply hit Best Buy or Wal-mart or another local store and buy the copy off the shelf, and it's the same price. However, I'll mail order for a good price on older DVDs (like getting th X-Files collection and the great flick Black Sheep about genetically mutated killer sheep which really is a fun movie). So, I'll just wait for the premiere date of Ark of Truth and grab it at Best Buy.

Comment

I have to agree that story and direction are the key elements to make an episode or movie good. You can add so much special effects, music, and etc. It will not truly help the overall episode. Everyone has different opinions to what is a good story or not. When more that half the fans enjoy or love the story than don't then you could call that a win.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                        I did a quick search around the net to see just how prevalent the release is. Aussies have it, French, UK. In fact, the foreign fans seem to have downloaded more than US fans, but that's only indicative of who has said "I've seen it." and I've seen a few sites that offer downloads that say "workprint" so at least it's being, er, advertised as a finished product.

But I honestly do not think this inadverant leak (MGM/Bridge/whoever has GOT to get their act together) is going to adversely affect sales. The bulk of sales are by people who don't download, won't download, don't care to download. They just want a disk they can pop into their DVD player connected to their TV set (not PC) and sit back and watch. They want all the doodads that come with the DVD (extras, etc.).

However, I still think dragging out the release until March was a mistake. Christmas sales could have done exceptionally well.

Comment

I don't think TPTB implied that the film would suck without the music and/or CGI, just that it's not the product they wished the fans to see since it's incomplete.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            The bulk of sales are by people who don't download, won't download, don't care to download.
                            It's not so true....Here in Italy Sg1 is aired by Sky on satellite and very few people have satellite, I haven't. So I discovered Sg1, as many many Italian fans, thanks to Internet and I have all 10 season, well minus season 6...., thanks to internet. But I buy even the official DVD, because I like the well finished product . The same with TAoT, I've watched it, but I surely will buy the DVD because I liked, I want to see the final version and I want to see many other Sg1 movies.
                            Oh, I almost forgot...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PG15
                            sigpic
                            Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Originally posted by madaboutdanny View Post
                              It's not so true....Here in Italy Sg1 is aired by Sky on satellite and very few people have satellite, I haven't. So I discovered Sg1, as many many Italian fans, thanks to Internet and I have all 10 season, well minus season 6...., thanks to internet. But I buy even the official DVD, because I like the well finished product . The same with TAoT, I've watched it, but I surely will buy the DVD because I liked, I want to see the final version and I want to see many other Sg1 movies.

Wellk I did say the bulk of the 'sales.' Most downloads aren't sales but are illegal, unless you count the iTunes type stuff. Do they have legal iTune-ish stuff overseas?

I must admit I don't hear a lot about foreign sales on shows because the news here isn't that interested in it, unless of course, paris hilton is in it

Comment

DECEMBER 25th

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...kin-dog-bites/

Lots of photos, and the cutest shot of one of the dogs at
                                http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpres...2/dsc03442.jpg

Lots of Xmas chatter and food.

MAILBAG

PG15 writes: “ Are you gonna give us another spoiler poem to end the year like last year?”

Answer: It really depends on how creative I feel when the time comes.

Raina James writes: “The Night Before Christmas: Atlantis Style”

Answer: Destined to be a Pegasus holiday classic.

Comment

Working...
                                X