This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
    The fact that you think a gay character is only good for comedy speaks volumes. I don't really see how homosexuality is funny, unless you're referring to the flamboyantly-portrayed ones on shows like Will and Grace or something....which I find more annoying than anything else.
    What he said, though I think Jack and Will in the show mentioned are funny. I love that show (shoot me if you will! ).

And I wonder - are straight people added for comedy too?

Are you saying gay people make reality a harsh place to live in?
    Of course, didn't you know they are the scourge of this planet and should be eradicated once and for all - to hell with them!!

....*packs bags*

Let the party begin!

Sci Fi I suppose is an escape for some, and I see this argument all the time. But is reality really so bad that we have to escape it for a few hours of television a night? Personally, I watch Sci Fi for the commentary it can make about the reality we live in...but that's just me.
    And me.

...I'm just curious.
    Curiosity killed the cat, remember.

Or we could just portray human culture as is...as has been done in the past.
    Exactly.

I really just don't understand what you're trying to say, so maybe I need it clarified.
    To make sure there are no misunderstandings. *nods*
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Curiosity killed the cat indeed, and I belive SG to be perfect as it is, it has everything I like in a tv show and i don't see how a gay character will fit in, knowing that the SGC is run by the military, don't they have a "don't ask, don't tell" polacy therefore a flamboyant character does not fit in to that scene. ( I was referring to characters such as jack from will and grace they annoy me too) and I'm gonna quote my 8 year old son by saying "gay does not meen that they like men or women it meens that they are happy with their bodies , and who they are" my little boy said that, he's so smart ( he gets it from mom)
      sigpic
      siggy made by RogueRanger
      http://youtu.be/frhgT5CMpjo
      killing threads one post at a time

Comment

And sadly the asgard are gone! I love those little dudes, and yes reality is harsh , gay people don't make it harsh, we do, if only our minds would open and we can let go of our fears, sexuality in it self, and the way we like to express it wouldn't be an issue for debate anymore.
        sigpic

Comment

Hey, and sci fi to me is my paradise, where I can relax, take a break from everyday life ( I mean cooking, cleaning, etc..)Sci fi expands my horizon by allowing my imagination to grow and explore new ways of thinking, and back to your question about "nature vs nurture"(coronach) I believe that when someone is exposed to something (let's say gay character on TV ) everyday, he or she will most likely be willing to explore that area of our sexuality, and that is nurture, as for nature we humans carry both hormones ( estrogen, progestogen)that makes us female or male, so are we bisexual? If we leave it up to nature.(I'll be looking forward to your answer, so please enlighten me with your knowledge. This is too much fun I can't let go)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by capricaabydos View Post
            Curiosity killed the cat indeed, and I belive SG to be perfect as it is, it has everything I like in a tv show and i don't see how a gay character will fit in, knowing that the SGC is run by the military, don't they have a "don't ask, don't tell" polacy therefore a flamboyant character does not fit in to that scene.
            Except
            Spoiler:
            SGU doesn't take place at the SGC, and the gay character is not a military member. Such policies, therefore, don't apply to her.

(I was referring to characters such as jack from will and grace they annoy me too) and I'm gonna quote my 8 year old son by saying "gay does not meen that they like men or women it meens that they are happy with their bodies , and who they are" my little boy said that, he's so smart ( he gets it from mom)
            I don't really know where this comes from. I mean, sure "gay" originally just meant "happy" or "elated". These days, however, it very much does refer to people who are attracted to only the same sex. Homosexual is a more correct term, I guess, but the gay community (as far as I have been told) isn't against the term "gay". I won't speak for them though.

And sadly the asgard are gone! I love those little dudes, and yes reality is harsh , gay people don't make it harsh, we do, if only our minds would open and we can let go of our fears, sexuality in it self, and the way we like to express it wouldn't be an issue for debate anymore.
            I have no problem with this. In fact, it's more of an argument to include gay characters in Stargate.

Hey, and sci fi to me is my paradise, where I can relax, take a break from everyday life ( I mean cooking, cleaning, etc..)Sci fi expands my horizon by allowing my imagination to grow and explore new ways of thinking,
            Most definitely. Don't you think the inclusion of gay characters could help in this regard?

and back to your question about "nature vs nurture"(coronach) I believe that when someone is exposed to something (let's say gay character on TV ) everyday, he or she will most likely be willing to explore that area of our sexuality, and that is nurture
            I understand the nature vs. nurture concept, but sexuality is almost solely determined by genetics, and by exposure to varying levels of certain hormones in the womb. After birth, this isn't as much the case.

Of course, sexuality should be thought of more on a spectrum rather than discrete categories, so, in that respect, I could sort of see where you're coming from. However, exposure to different sexuality won't change your own sexuality...at least not drastically. I've seen no studies that suggest such a thing, but I've seen a lot of research that suggests sexuality is (for the most part) a stagnant thing.

as for nature we humans carry both hormones ( estrogen, progestogen)that makes us female or male, so are we bisexual? If we leave it up to nature.
            I assume you meant estrogen and testosterone? In any case, I think you're mis-attributing the term bisexual. Bisexual is used almost exclusively to describe someone who is attracted to both genders. Again, discrete categories bug me when taking about sexuality, but for simplicity's sake I'll go with it.

Levels of hormones definitely play a role in what sex organs develop at birth and their further development later on in life, but I'm not really sure where you were going with this.

I hope this helped...though the biology behind sexuality and gender development really isn't on-topic, so maybe PM me if you want to discuss that further.
            Last edited by Bagpuss; 02 August 2009, 12:18 AM. Reason: spoiler tagged some sgu plot points.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
              Science fiction is stories. Stories are about people. Everything else is stage props. There's no difference between sci-fi, Westerns and good old realism except for the stage props.

Seriously, take your favorite sci-fi story or movie, strip down the fancy sci-fi decor and see what's left. It will be a story that could well have worked in a present-day realistic setting. Take Stargate the movie, minus the Stargate and the fancy decorations, give Ra's Jaffa Ak-47th and a couple of helicopters, and the whole thing could well have happened in Afghanistan.
              Yes, SciFi is another form of story.. But stories aren't just about people, especially not SciFi. The beauty of Science Fiction is because it's so broad and odd. We're talking about science here... Is science just about people?

The reason why I liked Stargate SG1 in the first few season was because it explored into possibilities beyond humanity. The nature of their exploration into different worlds, discovering different kinds of pheromone was what made it interesting for me. However, once they started focusing on Gouald, it got boring.. and on top of that they kept bringing in human looking like race.. that's boring. I thought the Asgard was the most exciting.

Or take Voyager for example, not only did they explored into different race, they stumbled across different kinds of space phenomenon unrelated to any race.

What is clear to me is that stories are stories, it can be colorful, stormy, black and white, twisted, bended, zic zac, etc, etc, etc... And I see more possibilities in SciFi for that it has potentials to explore into fields of ideas that does not necessary need to relate to reality.. or touch into the realm of realism.

Comment

...a flamboyant character does not fit in to that scene.
                Not all gay people are flamboyante, and not all flamboyante people are gay.

And currently
                Spoiler:
                the character in SGU is a civilian
                , but Coronach already mentioned that, to which DADT does not apply.

I was referring to characters such as jack from will and grace they annoy me too)
                Will is the other gay character and he's the complete opposite of Jack. Can't a character like him be part of the series then either?

If gay people can't be a part of it, then there's no room for straight people either... because their relationships are explored too. How do you perceive that?
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 02 August 2009, 12:18 AM. Reason: tag inserted.no other changes.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Not all gay people are flamboyante, and not all flamboyante people are gay.

And currently
                  Spoiler:
                  the character in SGU is a civilian,
                  but Coronach already mentioned that, to which DADT does not apply.

Will is the other gay character and he's the complete opposite of Jack. Can't a character like him be part of the series then either?

If gay people can't be a part of it, then there's no room for straight people either... because their relationships are explored too. How do you perceive that?
                  I'm getting really ansty with my innability as of yet to give greens. Because this? YES.

People, please to be dropping stereotypes. It kills kittens.
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 02 August 2009, 12:20 AM. Reason: Spoiler tags inserted.no other changes.:)
                  you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

I belive SG to be perfect as it is, it has everything I like in a tv show and i don't see how a gay character will fit in, knowing that the SGC is run by the military, don't they have a "don't ask, don't tell" polacy therefore a flamboyant character does not fit in to that scene.
                    Yes, the US military does have the "don't ask, don't tell" POLICY, however,
                    Spoiler:
                    SGU will not be on a military base.
                    AND just because someone is gay doesn't mean their flamboyant. I'm a gay man...and I am not flamboyant. Actually, the flamboyant type of guys turn me off.

Making a statement like that is just as uneducated as ask a gay guy, "Who's the man and who's the woman." The last time I checked...I am a man...and so is my partner.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 02 August 2009, 12:10 AM. Reason: tag for small spoiler.
                    sigpic

Comment

Except
                      Spoiler:
                      SGU doesn't take place at the SGC, and the gay character is not a military member. Such policies, therefore, don't apply to her.

I understand, but I still don't get how this is all gonna play out , will the characters be having a conversation and one of them will just say "oh by the way, I forgot to mention that I'm a lesbian" ???

I don't really know where this comes from. I mean, sure "gay" originally just meant "happy" or "elated". These days, however, it very much does refer to people who are attracted to only the same sex. Homosexual is a more correct term, I guess, but the gay community (as far as I have been told) isn't against the term "gay". I won't speak for them though.

Yes, the correct term is homosexual, and what I want to say is that it takes a lot of courage to" come out of the closet" and the word "gay" means happy but to a homosexual it could mean that they are happy with their body and they way they've chosen to explore their sexuality

I have no problem with this. In fact, it's more of an argument to include gay characters in Stargate.

Most definitely. Don't you think the inclusion of gay characters could help in this regard?

I see what you mean, why not ! But is it going to be mention often

I understand the nature vs. nurture concept, but sexuality is almost solely determined by genetics, and by exposure to varying levels of certain hormones in the womb. After birth, this isn't as much the case.
                      I would think, gender to be determined by genetics, sexuality is more psychological I would think. And we are way off topic. Of course, sexuality should be thought of more on a spectrum rather than discrete categories, so, in that respect, I could sort of see where you're coming from. However, exposure to different sexuality won't change your own sexuality...at least not drastically. I've seen no studies that suggest such a thing, but I've seen a lot of research that suggests sexuality is (for the most part) a stagnant thing.
                      I don't think it will make a difference in an adult but in child maybe

I assume you meant estrogen and testosterone? In any case, I think you're mis-attributing the term bisexual. Bisexual is used almost exclusively to describe someone who is attracted to both genders. Again, discrete categories bug me when taking about sexuality, but for simplicity's sake I'll go with it.
                      Yes, I ment testosterone!
                      Levels of hormones definitely play a role in what sex organs develop at birth and their further development later on in life, but I'm not really sure where you were going with this.

I hope this helped...though the biology behind sexuality and gender development really isn't on-topic, so maybe PM me if you want to discuss that further.
                      Your right we are way off topic with this and maybe we can discuss it further I'm intersted
                      Last edited by Bagpuss; 02 August 2009, 12:12 AM. Reason: tag spoilers please,even in requoted posts.:)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        Yes, the US military does have the "don't ask, don't tell" POLICY, however,
                        Spoiler:
                        SGU will not be on a military base.
                        AND just because someone is gay doesn't mean their flamboyant. I'm a gay man...and I am not flamboyant. Actually, the flamboyant type of guys turn me off.
                        If I was a gay man they would turn me off too! And you're right not everyone who is gay is flomboyant, but as sad as it sounds it is a stereotype often used on tv to portray a gay character.
                        Making a statement like that is just as uneducated as ask a gay guy, "Who's the man and who's the woman." The last time I checked...I am a man...and so is my partner.
                        Forgive me if I offended you, it was never my intention
                        Last edited by Bagpuss; 02 August 2009, 12:13 AM. Reason: tags req on plot points about sgu.:)
                        sigpic

Comment

Your right we are way off topic with this and maybe we can discuss it further I'm intersted
                          If you are, can I be included in the conversation?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            If you are, can I be included in the conversation?
                            Dam! sounds like a party's happening

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                              Dam! sounds like a party's happening
                              Hence why we better take it elsewhere or there might be mod-exchange in the not so distant future.

Comment

lol - yea they did closed down a similar post before shame

Comment

Working...
                                X