X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
    lol - yea they did closed down a similar post before shame
    I think we've gotten three similar threads shut down since I've been here. I'm wondering how many came before that, .
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
      I think we've gotten three similar threads shut down since I've been here. I'm wondering how many came before that, .
      Obviously it's a very hot topic there's no reason they should be shut down I know it gets sensitive 'cough' but hey hot topics are sensitive.. people are gonna bound to pull each other's toes

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
        Obviously it's a very hot topic there's no reason they should be shut down I know it gets sensitive 'cough' but hey hot topics are sensitive.. people are gonna bound to pull each other's toes
        Yeah. Though, to be fair, at least one of the times it was shut down because the conversation had simply gone completely off-topic...and multiple times.

Speaking of which....

I've stated it many times before, but I'm quite alright with homosexuality and/or bisexuality being shown on Stargate. For me, I don't view it as any different from portrayals of straight characters, though I understand others do.

I'm less interested in should a gay character be on, and more interested in they are portrayed. It'll be interesting to see how TPTB handle this in SGU. Their track-record certainly isn't stellar on straight relationships, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in that respect too.
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

I'm less interested in should a gay character be on, and more interested in they are portrayed. It'll be interesting to see how TPTB handle this in SGU.
          I just hope they won't make the gay character be all about the gay (much like Carter was all about being the woman in the very beginning of SG-1). 'Cause that would be a huge disservice, IMHO.
          you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

As far as I know this one - and one other that should be floating around somewhere close. And it's open for discussion still.

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
            I just hope they won't make the gay character be all about the gay (much like Carter was all about being the woman in the very beginning of SG-1). 'Cause that would be a huge disservice, IMHO.
            Totally agree.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Or make an entire episode based on the fact that the person is homosexual. *coughEmancipationcough* I think that's it......but, yeah, it will be interesting to see how TPTB play this out.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                Or make an entire episode based on the fact that the person is homosexual. *coughEmancipationcough* I think that's it......but, yeah, it will be interesting to see how TPTB play this out.
                Care to elaborate?
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

I suppose he/she meant that that episode was based on the fact that Sam is female.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    I suppose he/she meant that that episode was based on the fact that Sam is female.
                    You're probably right. In that case, I'd agree with him.
                    Sig by Pandora's Box
                    sigpic

Comment

Ayup, one of the things I meant by that comment. Just... please please PLEASE to be writing the character as if they were straight, in terms of their decision-making abilities, gesticulation, interaction with the rest of the team, etc. If they give them (I keep using 'them'; do we know if it's a male or female?) a small dog and some mean wrist movement - paraphrasing, but you get the jist, I swear I'll die a little inside and never tune in ever again.
                      you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Ayup, one of the things I meant by that comment. Just... please please PLEASE to be writing the character as if they were straight, in terms of their decision-making abilities, gesticulation, interaction with the rest of the team, etc. If they give them (I keep using 'them'; do we know if it's a male or female?) a small dog and some mean wrist movement - paraphrasing, but you get the jist, I swear I'll die a little inside and never tune in ever again.
                        It's a female. Not sure if you want to know who, so I won't spoil in that case. However, from what we've seen from the trailers, she seems the exact opposite of what you're fearing. I don't think her sexuality is going to define her character, as it doesn't with any character we've ever seen on SG.

I loled at "mean wrist movement". However, my experiences with the gay community is that this stereotype is pretty much the minority for gay people. Not as if it matters all the much, just thought I'd throw it out there.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Are you saying that just because her reproductive organs are on the inside? =P Sorry I couldn't resist.

Comment

It's a female.
                            Oh alright then, For some reason, I presumed it would be a guy.

Not sure if you want to know who, so I won't spoil in that case.
                            Oh yeah, sure, I'm a spoiler-.... um, seeker? (Gosh, such a potty mouth).

However, from what we've seen from the trailers, she seems the exact opposite of what you're fearing.
                            Hey, as long as they don't make her a butch spitting tobacco-chewing tomboy for no good reason other than her sexual preference, I'm on board.

I don't think her sexuality is going to define her character, as it doesn't with any character we've ever seen on SG.
                            Well, um, so far everyone on both SG-1 and SGA have been (canonically) straight, so that wasn't so much of an issue.

I loled at "mean wrist movement". However, my experiences with the gay community is that this stereotype is pretty much the minority for gay people.
                            No, yeah, I agree, it's stereotyping. Which all know is the epytome of all that is evil and makes baby Jesus cry. That's why I said I'd hate if they went with that.
                            Last edited by slurredspeech; 26 June 2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Oh alright then, For some reason, I presumed it would be a guy.
                              Yeah...though the possibility is open for one later down the line in SGU. Who knows...I'd say it's likely that not every male aboard the Destiny is straight.

Oh yeah, sure, I'm a spoiler-.... um, seeker? (Gosh, such a potty mouth).
                              Spoiler:
                              Camille Wray

Hey, as long as they don't make her a butch spitting tobacco-chewing tomboy for no good reason other than her sexual preference, I'm on board.
                              I'd probably cry if this happened. She also doesn't seem to be this way either. I'm betting it's not going to be as if it's physically noticeable or anything. That's the point I was trying to make.

Well, um, so far everyone on both SG-1 and SGA have been (canonically) straight, so that wasn't so much of an issue.
                              Yeah, exactly my point. The homosexuality of a character should be no more ground-breaking than the heterosexuality of the others. I say, whatever's free game for straight characters on the show should be open to the gay one's as well.

No, yeah, I agree, it's stereotyping. Which all know is the epytome of all that is evil and makes baby Jesus cry. That's why I said I'd hate if they went with that.
                              *nod*
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Yeah...I wouldn't like it much if it went that way.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X