Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the budget went on special effects, or even making more elaborate locations.

The CG shots like cities, space battles, ships flying through space, they usually don't last very long, like a few seconds, unless it's like a season finale when they can go crazy. If they plan on finishing the Orii arc like i've read with the first movie, then I can see some crazy awesome spaceship **** going on. It would make Lost City look like nothing.

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
    I think those estimates are way too high for "straight to DVD". I think they'll spend about $3 million each. I can't imagine they would get enough revenue to support much higher than that. It doesn't matter who owns them. They don't want to lose money on these movies.
    I don't think it is that high. If they get 1.5 to 2 million per episode as said in the first post, then going up to 5 million each is possible. As straight to DVD movies, they aren't going to be limited to an 84 minute double bill so we should expect each movie to be longer than an average two parter. This would would make the estimated cost at around 3 to 4 million and since they are going for a DVD movie rather than just a double length episode Adding an extra million or two minimum is a small price to pay.

They would be making more money from them because it's not likely something TV will get for a while, and if someone likes Scifi wants them, then they'll have to pay a lot for them considering other networks are supposed to have expressed an interest in the show so getting the movies would be a good alternative.
    Last edited by SaberBlade; 30 November 2006, 12:36 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I think those estimates are way too high for "straight to DVD". I think they'll spend about $3 million each. I can't imagine they would get enough revenue to support much higher than that. It doesn't matter who owns them. They don't want to lose money on these movies.
      3mil each? Well they're bound to be about twice as long as a normal episode and those cost about 2mil each. If you listen to the latest interview on Gateworld you'll know that the budget for filming the movies is larger than the budget for filming the series, so I doubt that the budget will be below 5mil to be honest...

*edit*

Although I think the movies will be on TV aswell, I think it would be quite difficult to break even with a budget like that on DVD's only...

Comment

The way I see it they'll charge the same for the dvd movie that we already pay for each dvd (seperately not boxsets) and each dvd has about 4 episodes on it, so the budget should be the equivelant of 4 episodes. In that case say 1.5 mill per episode a movie would have a budget of 6 million, I can see some very good cgi and sets coming out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
          The way I see it they'll charge the same for the dvd movie that we already pay for each dvd (seperately not boxsets) and each dvd has about 4 episodes on it, so the budget should be the equivelant of 4 episodes. In that case say 1.5 mill per episode a movie would have a budget of 6 million, I can see some very good cgi and sets coming out of that.
          Without a doubt. They could definitely do a lot with that kind of money.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Well 6 million surely would do better than 5, and if you look at it as all resources from 1 series DVD going to 1 movie DVD, it sounds pretty good. However i'd love to see more DVD special features or a double disc set rather than just 1.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              I wouldn't be surprised if most of the budget went on special effects, or even making more elaborate locations.

The CG shots like cities, space battles, ships flying through space, they usually don't last very long, like a few seconds, unless it's like a season finale when they can go crazy. If they plan on finishing the Orii arc like i've read with the first movie, then I can see some crazy awesome spaceship **** going on. It would make Lost City look like nothing.
              To me, special effects aren't a reason to buy a movie DVD. Having a great storyline and interesting character moments would be the reason to buy it.

I don't think it is that high. If they get 1.5 to 2 million per episode as said in the first post, then going up to 5 million each is possible. As straight to DVD movies, they aren't going to be limited to an 84 minute double bill so we should expect each movie to be longer than an average two parter. This would would make the estimated cost at around 3 to 4 million and since they are going for a DVD movie rather than just a double length episode Adding an extra million or two minimum is a small price to pay.
              It's not about how much they want put into it. It's about how much money they expect to get back. That's what will determine the budget. I wouldn't expect each movie to be much longer than a typical TV 2-parter because they will build in the possibility of selling it to TV at some time. They may be a little bit longer, but the extra scenes won't be totally necessary so that they have the option to make it TV length.

(edited to add)

I just found a quote in Hollywood Reporter saying SG-1 cost $2.2 million per episode. So, I'm willing to say they might sink $4 to 5 million into the movies. But, given the "straight to video" scenario, I'm highly skeptical about $10 million. I think one of the reasons RDA isn't said to be involved is to keep costs manageable.

They would be making more money from them because it's not likely something TV will get for a while, and if someone likes Scifi wants them, then they'll have to pay a lot for them considering other networks are supposed to have expressed an interest in the show so getting the movies would be a good alternative.
              No other network has expressed interest in the show. Myth and fan fantasy. SciFi will wait it out until it has sunk in for MGM. Then, SciFi will pay what it's worth.
              Last edited by MediaSavant; 30 November 2006, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I just found a quote in Hollywood Reporter saying SG-1 cost $2.2 million per episode. So, I'm willing to say they might sink $4 to 5 million into the movies. But, given the "straight to video" scenario, I'm highly skeptical about $10 million. I think one of the reasons RDA isn't said to be involved is to keep costs manageable.
                I'd agree that $4-5 million is a good estimate. That'd be a good price tag for this franchise to put together a 90-120 minute flick. In many ways, they'll be getting more bang for their buck. They've got the cast and crew already assembled, sets are ready for use, and wardrobe and props are in generous supply.

Anybdy know how long they plan to shoot each movie?

a time to mourn

Comment

They are making movies?

Comment

To be honest i can kind of understand them not using RDA too much in the 1st movie as it is wrapping up the Ori thread (I still think its a huge shame that they may not be.. but), its a resolution of the big SG-1 plot, which he's not so involved in.

However it would make far more sense to have him playing a much larger role in the second movie which is seperate.

Comment

I'm sure they will be getting more for the movies budget. It only makes sense on the amount of money they will make.
                      Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

^^ I doubt they'll make that much, I'm sure making the series is a better money maker...

Comment

Originally posted by oflyboy View Post
                          To be honest i can kind of understand them not using RDA too much in the 1st movie as it is wrapping up the Ori thread (I still think its a huge shame that they may not be.. but), its a resolution of the big SG-1 plot, which he's not so involved in.

However it would make far more sense to have him playing a much larger role in the second movie which is seperate.
                          That makes tons of sense to me. He wouldn't really be necessary in a movie wrapping up the Ori stuff. In fact, if he were to be in it for more than a short appearance, I'd be sort of annoyed. I love the guy, but like I said "unnecessary". They need to make sure they focus on the story and sell it by making a good one and not by bringing in actors just because they think it will draw a larger audience.
                          sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

One movie is supposed to end the Orii plotline and as such, I do believe that RDA is not needed.

However, for the second movie i'd love to see a movie set during the time RDA was still on cast, a midquel set during his time as a Colonel, with Hammond and Doc Fraiser, perhaps sometime during season seven. Or leave out Doc Fraiser, bring in Hammond and set it during the gap between season's eight and nine. This way we don't need to find a way to ditch Vala and Mitchell.

Long time fans of the show were expecting Stargate 2 for quite a while, and I would rather see one Stargate movie, even if it's a just direct to DVD movie and because of that I think that RDA being left out of the first movie isn't a big loss, but losing him in a starring role in the second would be.

sigpic

Comment

I think to keep SG-1 going or making a spinoff, the creators should get, well creative. Maybe they could have s contest to write a script for the series that would be used. (This would do two things. It would show the massive support for stargate, and show there is still a lot more story to be told.) I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but they could go to a major network like NBC. (I believe NBC owns SCi-FI) W've seen this wave of new SCi-FI shows into the main stream. (heros, Jericho etc.) Being a heros fan myself, I could easily see myself sitting down Friday night watching Heros, SG-1, and SGA. A new SCI-FI Fridays. Being on NBC would give them a bigger budget and a huge audience. A last thought is this, about a year ago SCI-FI was on basic cable where I live. Now its on channel 160. You need a dish or digital cable to get that channel. If this has happened anywhere else, that's your reason for lower ratings right there. Not as many people have access.

Comment

I would imagine that the budget for the movies would be a little bit more than 10 mil, maybe 15 or 20 million, because of the fan base the show has and maybe they will pay the actors a little more for the movie. I would imagine they have better special effects, too. I read something that, I think, one of the producers said to the fact that they know how to stretch their budget. Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part they would get a 20 million budget.

: Green is Good.
                                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X