The Tower Review - The Prime Directive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyStargateUK
    What about Voyager and the fact Janeway kinda ripped up the rule book to save Voyager a few decades of travel.
    Trying to compare the show with rules that aren't in the show are unfair at the least.
    And how about the fact that I don't think the author was implying that the Prime Directive LITERALLY needed to be obeyed? It's like someone complaining that the Cylons don't obey the Three Laws of Robotics. It doesn't mean RDM has to incorporate Asimov's Laws, only that they're usually pretty good things to have in an AI. But as with there being loopholes in the Prime Directive, there are instances where the Laws wouldn't be handy, either. I think Sharon was just saying that The Tower might have been a good example of when to follow ANY non-interference policy, be it an actual Prime Directive or just common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      I think Sharon was just saying that The Tower might have been a good example of when to follow ANY non-interference policy, be it an actual Prime Directive or just common sense.
      You could argue (as in another thread) that Atlantis shouldn't interfere with the Wraith on the grounds sucking the life out of humans seems to be the only way they can survive.

Whereas the actions of those in the tower against the non tower folk was plain dictatorial and so Atantis could intervene,also it was never there intention to drain the ZPM, Rodney only did it to stop a masacre and for all we know they may have given a mark II naq generator in return.
      Support Stargate and Stargate Atlantis to be made avalaible via i-tunes, write your support on this thread and vote in the poll to get Sony to put the show on i-tunes.
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23944

Comment

Teyla and Ronon were trying to incite a revolution long before the drones were launched and I got the impression that the peasants only went along with it because they had no other choice- Ronon had killed one of the Tower representatives and had brought the anger of the Tower society down upon them all.

YOU can argue that it was the only "right" way to do things, but I think there were some much less all-or-nothing tactics that could have been tried that would not have led to the potential massacre of an entire village. Diplomacy. Politics. COMMON SENSE. Sometimes slow change does a lot less damage than abrupt and irreversible change.

Comment

Sometimes slow change does a lot less damage than abrupt and irreversible change.
          It would be a bit boring if they spent 40 minutes around the Atlantis conference table talking over things though. Things spiralled out of control , actions that were taken in defence of what Ronan did were only to stop things getting further out of control (draining the ZPM to stop the attack)
          If you look at the situation the leaders in the tower were willing to do a great deal of damage to the general population in retalitation for the actions of an outsider, it's not really something the Atlantis team are going to allow to happen.
          Support Stargate and Stargate Atlantis to be made avalaible via i-tunes, write your support on this thread and vote in the poll to get Sony to put the show on i-tunes.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23944

Comment

Would it have been boring? Maybe. Maybe not. I can think of a few ways to give it interesting twists. Regardless of that, at least it wouldn't have been as trite and ridiculous as what we DID get. In my opinion, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
              Is it possible to clarify WHY the review is no longer there?

People saying "it was pulled" sounds like the author of the review had no say in it, that the webmaster did it.
              There's more on this up the page, in post #63 of this thread. It was my decision, not Sharon's, but she understood it completely.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                That was a terrible episode and the review just said what a lot of people felt. Sorry to see it was pulled.
                ITA. I hope that if the factual inconsistencies are rectified it'll be posted again at a later date, if only so that there's a chance someone involved with the episode will see it and realise what a mistake they made in actually airing something that abysmal in quality and consistency with the show. *sighs*

Comment

Gateworld isn't doing reviews anymore, so we'll never see The Tower review again- factually corrected or otherwise.

Comment

Gateworld isn't doing reviews anymore, so we'll never see The Tower review again- factually corrected or otherwise.
                    Wait wait wait, it's not doing them at all? Why the **** not!?!?!?!?!?
                    Don't you want to look beyond the horizon?

In the 2 hours and 14 minutes that Torri Higginson was online, there were 272 posts in the Elizabeth Weir Wow Thread. I was responsible for 2 of them. (Oh yeah and Gateworld crashed, but that's not important)

Please click here to feed the hungry, protect endangered land, and help fight breast cancer without spending a penny (inspired by the Whistler 84 in Memoriam thread)

Comment

Originally posted by mentalmichael
                      Wait wait wait, it's not doing them at all? Why the **** not!?!?!?!?!?
                      Seconded less vehemently.

Any reason given?

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia
                        Seconded less vehemently.

Any reason given?
                        Read Darren's blog on the Gateworld Home Page.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                          Read Darren's blog on the Gateworld Home Page.
                          Thank you.

Took me a few minutes to find the page, but I can live with that.

Comment

It's a shame that the review was removed because I enjoyed it. It was well-written, witty, informative and had bits of light-hearted comedy too. I say well done to a talented writer with a strong opinion.
                            //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                            Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Working...
                            X