This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateWorld
    I won't discourage the use of ad blockers, as God knows I'd use 'em when browsing the Web. But just so that everyone is aware of the implications if you are a GateWorld fan:

GateWorld gets paid based on both impressions (number of times an ad loads) and click-thrus. So ads support the site and keep it online not just because some people click on ads, but because they appear on every page that each person browses. Blocking ads will reduce our impressions and, if enough people do it, our ad revenue, even if you would never have clicked on the ads anyway.

Darren
    Regarding this point (just trying to help) for those who use Adlock extension on firefox (I know quite a lot of people do, it does it's job very well) there is an option in preferences (Tools --> Adblock --> Preferences) to hide ads or remove ads. By default, remove ads is selected (ads do not load). If you select hide ads, the ads will load (therefore giving the impression and therefore money for gateworld, I believe) but you will not see them. Therefore if you must use an adblocker, you can help gateworld as much as you would have done normally.

Edit: Confirmed from the adblock pages, if it helps

# But I want to support my favorite site! Can I set Adblock to download, and then hide stuff?
    Yes, see next question.

# What's the difference between "hide" and "remove"?
    "Hide" preserves a page's layout -- content being downloaded, but not visibly rendered.
    "Remove" collapses the layout -- no content is downloaded.
    I only posted this trying to help. If you have things blocked (such as common keywords etc.) that are causing the ads to be blocked and would like to see them, they can be removed from the prefences dialog too (if you use adblock)

Hope this helps.

Personally, I have a high tolerance for ads. I dont mind normal ads, google ads, the ads on the forum, etc. The only ads I normally block and cant stand are the types already descirbed - flashy, blinding, irritating annoying ads (You know the types, 'You may already be a winner!') and popups but hopefully we wont be seeing them here as noted in an earlier post

----

Edit: Saw this post earlier on and wanted to help, sorry if it is inappropriate

hehe, its a php script
    Originally posted by Major Tyler
    How does one learn this power?
    I apologise for this offtopic post, please feel free to remove it if needed, I just saw the question and wanted to help, and it's only quick.

I haven't tested it, but there are many PHP scripts ready made that will accomplish this, for example this one: http://www.phpfreaks.com/quickcode/B...nature/170.php (If it doesnt work, try doing a search on google for 'Random avatar" or "random signature script".

All you need is some hosting space on a server which supports PHP
    --
    Last edited by Abydosian; 02 June 2005, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I know that I have the option of right clicking on the site page and out of the list of options one says "Allow Ads From This Site" and then when you click on that it gives you a list of what kinds of ads you want to allow. Pop ups, banner ads, etc.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I don't mind some of the ads but the ones I don't like to see are the ones that you have the shoot to get something free, like the a Sony PSP (I'm see that one at the moment.)

My $.04 worth. (American)

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
          It drives me nuts though. When I type amazon.com it's because I actually want to visit their US site, not because I'm too stupid to realize I'm in another country...
          If it does that to you, the way to get into amazon.com is by clicking on "Region 1 DVDs"

(Apologies if you already know that, my Clever Cunning tricks are very often other people's Thing Everyone But Madeleine Already Knew.)

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
            Here's an idea -- click on one of the advertising banners at least once a day (or week) -- and help GateWorld.

You can minimize the pop up window, let it run in the background, bring in some money for GateWorld, and look forward to spending more time at GateWorld Forum.

Morjana
            There are pop-ups now? My browser isn't saying it's blocking anything so, is there really a pop-up?

Comment

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I believe morjana meant the popup window that comes as a result of clicking on the advertising banners (it pops up in a new window, rather than taking over the current one)

Earlier on in the thread it was said:
              - GateWorld does not allow pop-up, pop-under, or "In Vue" (layered on the screen over the page content) advertisements. If you see pop-ups while browsing GateWorld, you probably have adware that's snuck it's way onto your computer.
              I at least have not seen any pop-up's so I believe this is what was meant. Please correct me if I am wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Abydosian
                Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I believe morjana meant the popup window that comes as a result of clicking on the advertising banners (it pops up in a new window, rather than taking over the current one)

Earlier on in the thread it was said:

I at least have not seen any pop-up's so I believe this is what was meant. Please correct me if I am wrong
                Cool, ok that's fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                  If it does that to you, the way to get into amazon.com is by clicking on "Region 1 DVDs"

(Apologies if you already know that, my Clever Cunning tricks are very often other people's Thing Everyone But Madeleine Already Knew.)
                  I hadn't heard that before! I usually enter the URL once more, then I've apparently convinced amazon that I do want to visit their US site. Or google or yahoo or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                    Open Firefox then: Select Tools > Options > Web Features > Where it says load images (which should be checked) select Exceptions...a sub menu should open, highlight the site you want to unblock and the 'Remove Site' button should be active...just press it.
                    That removes any pictures that I've blocked, but the script is still blocked...do you know how to unblock a script?
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Thanks, Abydosian! That's very helpful info.
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Well, the ads are still gone, but now I have in small type in the giant empty blue box
                        "Ask: Joe | Martin | BamBam".....

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
                          Well, the ads are still gone, but now I have in small type in the giant empty blue box
                          "Ask: Joe | Martin | BamBam".....
                          For me its only the ad next to the "Gateworld Forum" logo bit that is missing, the ones at the very top of the page are still there. And under the "Ask..." bit I see a small advert for Rising via amazon.com.

Comment

I don't know if anyone else has had this, but ever since the ad has been included at the top, I often get pages that load with just the ad, and the blue background and nothing else. It's getting very annoying now, not to mention how much of GWs bandwidth it's wasting...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                            "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

I've not had that personally happen - when it happens, does the browser display 'Done' (or similar depending on the borwser) and stop loading and conclude it's done, or does it try to continue loading but not get anywhere?

Comment

Im reposting this from the thread i started redundantly. i think everything i say has been said already as well but ill post it any way to toss my two cents in.

Originally posted by spg_1983
                                first off let me say that i understand that ads are neccasary for running a no charge site like gateworld and dont have a problem with ads per se. that being said i would like to complain about the new ads that have been on gateworld and the forums lately. they are of the type that it says "shoot such and such" and win a free PSP. now like i said i understand ads are neccasary but i would think gateworld would be able to bring in more tasteful and relevent ads than these, plus these type of ads seriously slow down the speed that i can load the page at since i am on an older computer. i just wanted to ask an open question as to what was the reasoning or logic behind choosing to display these ads on the site?

Comment

Working...
                                X