Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol! thankfully they don't have them here, but on some sites, they have the ones that will suddenly pop up with smiley's for IM, and it frustrates me so much!
    Save us from danger, save us from evil
    Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Lypha.com - 3000 mbs webspace 150 GB Data Transfer for $4.95 a month (with a domain name for free for two months)... What's the catch?

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
        It drives me nuts though. When I type amazon.com it's because I actually want to visit their US site, not because I'm too stupid to realize I'm in another country...
        You can't get on to amazon.com from there? If I type in amazon.co.uk then it will take me to the UK site.

And Shadow, I totally understand what you mean. The reason I just strengthened my ad blocker was because every where I went there was that stupid Crazy Frog ad. I want to kill that frog.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

So does Norton do this automatically or is it an extra service? Maybe I should switch from MacAfee

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            So does Norton do this automatically or is it an extra service? Maybe I should switch from MacAfee
            Does Norton do what automatically? Sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse I'm just not sure to exactly what you're refering. Or even if you're talking to me. If not then kindly disregard my confused ramblings.

Comment

i have norton internet security and it comes with
              anti virus
              spam blocker
              pop up blocker
              parental control (which i never use)

i haven't noticed much about the spam blocker since i dont' use my pc based address for much of anything, but the pop-up/ad blocker does seem to do a pretty good job of blocking stuff

there are a few ones on yahoo that slip through, but i don't get the very top ad on gateworld although i sometimes get the one that's right next to the forum name

there are free pop up blockers you can find if you look. bout the onlu issue i have is that sometimes, in blocking the pop up they'll block ones you want, like info pop ups on order pages or the like

it's liveable though.

and from the point of view of a dialup person, anything that helps stop my puter from getting bogged down is a good thing
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Sorry Shadow, my brain is in post final shut down. I have Norton Anti-Virus and it comes with what Sky outlined but I also installed another ad blocker because Norton wasn't really blocking the pop ups. In fact, the only pop ups it seemed to block were the ones I wanted (like Sky was saying, pop ups for orders and whatnot) and not blocking the spam but I installed a seperate ad blocker and it's working wonders. No more Crazy Frog!!! Woooo hooooo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Oh trust me, I've spent small fortunes on Amazon. For Gateworld's sake, of course.
                  Of course we believe you
                  Lord Zedd

Comment

i have some popup blocker, it's something like Norton, but i don't know what it's called. but it's really nice!
                    Save us from danger, save us from evil
                    Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

I use Firefox's ad-blocker, there's not many that get past it. The few times I need to use IE scare me, pop-up galore.

With regards to the ads on Gateworld, I can't say they bother me at all...I hardly notice them and anyway it's a very small price to pay for what we get here.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                        I use Firefox's ad-blocker, there's not many that get past it.
                        I just downloaded FireFox to see if it would block the ads and I still see them. Is the ad-blocker a separate download or something?
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                          I just downloaded FireFox to see if it would block the ads and I still see them. Is the ad-blocker a separate download or something?
                          It's an extension, you can get it here.

Comment

I have never noticed that little banner before. Had I not just looked for it, I would have said that there were no ads. I have never seen a flashing one.
                            *I have Firefox also.
                            sigpic
                            ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                              It's an extension, you can get it here.
                              Thanks! I just downloaded the extension but I'm not sure how to make it work...I'm not very good with computers.
                              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                                Thanks! I just downloaded the extension but I'm not sure how to make it work...I'm not very good with computers.
                                If you've already installed the extension, just restart your browser then when you right-click on something you should get an option to 'addblock'

Comment

Working...
                                X