X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That may be an option down the road.

Darren

Comment

I'm getting use to the hit to get one free ones at the top of the page except one of them. It there any way to turn the sound off that particular one? (The Star Wars one.)

Comment

Yes, the one with sound is really annoying. I don't mind the flashing words and stuff but for it to have sound just crosses the line. There needs to be a way to turn it off!

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          That would wipe out 98% of the board's population and it STILL wouldn't get rid of the trolls. I think Darren would collect money on the streets before he made GW a paid forum.

Now, paying to get an ad-free version might be more interesting, but just as unlikely.
          Trolls? We have trolls??? Ack!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist, I guess I've been reading too much fantasy lately.

And to stay on thread, I don't get any ads, nada. I use several blockers and they work great. However, IF Darren did ever decide that the Forum should have a fee attached, I'd still want to be a member.

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
            Yes, the one with sound is really annoying. I don't mind the flashing words and stuff but for it to have sound just crosses the line. There needs to be a way to turn it off!
            Yes, the Star Wars ad with the TIE fighters is VERY annoying. I can understand the forum needs advertisement to support it, but the sound is intrusive. I'm learning to just turn off the speakers when I go to gateworld. Period.

Are there any blockers out there that will kill these ads?

Comment

Originally posted by prion
              Yes, the Star Wars ad with the TIE fighters is VERY annoying. I can understand the forum needs advertisement to support it, but the sound is intrusive. I'm learning to just turn off the speakers when I go to gateworld. Period.

Are there any blockers out there that will kill these ads?
              Just about any typical ad-blocker/pop-up blocker will kill the ads. I just have Gate World on the "safe list" - I allow the ads to come through, because GW loses revenue if ads are blocked using an ad blocker. Darren explained it somewhere around here. (Probably in this very thread a few pages back) that the ads pay based on whether they load and the number of times they load (They load every time you change pages here at GW). It might only be a fraction of a cent per load, but if you think of how many times you change pages here at GW, those fractions of a cent add up really quick. So if you use an ad/pop-up blocker, the ads won't pay if they can't load.

Although i will agree that the Tie Fighter ad is annoying in respect to the sound issue. There really should be a way to kill the ad's sound level, because i always listen to MP3's while i surf. Nothing sounds more jarring than Tie fighter sounds playing over your MP3's.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                Just about any typical ad-blocker/pop-up blocker will kill the ads. I just have Gate World on the "safe list" - I allow the ads to come through, because GW loses revenue if ads are blocked using an ad blocker. Darren explained it somewhere around here. (Probably in this very thread a few pages back) that the ads pay based on whether they load and the number of times they load (They load every time you change pages here at GW). It might only be a fraction of a cent per load, but if you think of how many times you change pages here at GW, those fractions of a cent add up really quick. So if you use an ad/pop-up blocker, the ads won't pay if they can't load.

Although i will agree that the Tie Fighter ad is annoying in respect to the sound issue. There really should be a way to kill the ad's sound level, because i always listen to MP3's while i surf. Nothing sounds more jarring than Tie fighter sounds playing over your MP3's.
                I'm with you on this one! I cant listen to my music on here while I dink around. The louder I turn my music up, the louder the ad gets!! I hope theres a way to solve this particular problem with this ad!

*DROOL*

McKAY: If you're referring to the ship you just shot down, the one that doesn't stand a hope in hell of ever flying again ...

TORRELL: The ship that you're gonna fix, yes.

McKAY: What am I, MacGyver? Fix it with what?

http://www.sgtsiler.com/Nikkirose.html
                MINE.. ALL MINE!! Mwhahahaha!

Comment

Or... they could just have paid subscriptions to the site. Not everyone would joining of course but there would be a lot who would I am sure. just a couple bucks a month, no more then 25-30 bucks a year, the ad's dont exist for those who are subscribed and to those who are not.... gateworld would be able to be more selective with what they put on I think.

I would be the one of the first to sign up for this. Nothing special needs to be given - Maybe just a little * by the user name IE: *odinseye - to show the person is subscribed. Other then that - just go about the site.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                  To quote FoolishPleasure (a User Here)

I do enjoy coming to GW on a daily basis. If money is an issue in regards to placing this site in a more reliable setting (with or without bananas), then I'm all for skipping Starbucks a few mornings a month and contributing.
                  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was from another thread, but it applys the same - the site is very reliable for the most part now, but I would still like to contibute in a way without tye fighter in my face.
                  Last edited by odinseye; 26 June 2005, 10:32 PM.
                  Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid

Comment

I'm giving 5 grins to whoever turned off the sound to the Star Wars ad!

Comment

I'm getting a new annoying ad at the top of the page. Ringers: Lord of the Fans. When you roll over it (it has a drop down) and don't get off of it quick enough it will start playing the video. I tried to close it but it won't close. I have to site and get back on especially when it is over the top when I to get back on My Controls site.

Has anybody else been having this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                        I'm getting a new annoying ad at the top of the page. Ringers: Lord of the Fans. When you roll over it (it has a drop down) and don't get off of it quick enough it will start playing the video. I tried to close it but it won't close. I have to site and get back on especially when it is over the top when I to get back on My Controls site.

I'm having probs with that too - blocks part of the forum and it is incredibly annoying!! Any way that ad can "disappear"? Or does GW have no control over which ads are put up?

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                          I'm having probs with that too - blocks part of the forum and it is incredibly annoying!! Any way that ad can "disappear"? Or does GW have no control over which ads are put up?
                          Yeah, I'm so sick of the LOTR ad I'll never watch the movies now!

Comment

Originally posted by greytop

I just keep my mouse pointer toward the bottom of the screen to avoid rolling over the LotR ad. (Yes, it's rather annoying, as once you get stuck with the video playing, there's no way to close the ad).

As for choosing ads, that's out of GW's control because the Ad Host determines which ads get displayed and for how long each ad gets displayed.

Comment

we can't do anything about the ads, like techno said, they're under control of a third party.

if one is particularly offensive or icky, darren can look into it and ask to have that ad pulled from the rotation.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The only one that seemed to bothersome was the screensavers by Mr. Freeze.
                                I don't know if it was just me, or when the forum was running real slow, having that ad seemed to make the forum run slower.

Comment

Working...
                                X