• Show
Clear All

but not gamma ray. you'd need a lightyear of lead to do that

Comment

still my point is that the NQi wont radiate gamma rays until detonated
      sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        eehhm. naquahdriah radiation is an exotic form, so i doubt a few cm of lead are gonna work. for all we know, it emits gamma radiation. actually, i'm SURE it emits gamma radiation, it HAS to.
        How is gamma radiation exotic? Radium, cesium, polonium and alot of other radioactive elements produce gamma radiation...while i am not a physicist, my understanding is that the term "exotic" refers to things that violate the known laws of physics...

but not gamma ray. you'd need a lightyear of lead to do that
        Well that would depend on how much gamma radiation is produced...lead is actually a common gamma radiation shield (cuz its cheap) but there are other materials, such as bismuth or even depleted uranium, that are used as gamma radiation shields...
        Last edited by tinerin; 11 February 2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

thanx 4 the support TINERIN

Comment

it radiates exotic radiation AND gamma. and since it's radioactive and thus emits gamma radiation, it's dangerous.

so yes, it's stupid to use bars of naquahdriah as ammo.

Comment

"exotic radiation"

Why would it be exotic ? We only heard that term (exotic matter) in Trinity where Mckay blew up a solar system. I'm with tinerin on this.
              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

exotic means that it does not follow the rules of physics. and by that definition, a lot of things are exotic. our physics do not cover everything. for example, galaxies are exotic, as they spin faster than they're supposed to.

the exotic in this case refers to an unknown type of particle. and i think that this particle is what allows naquahdah and naquahdriah to exist in the first place.

and yes, naquahdriah emits exotic radiation

Comment

I think he got confused between cosmic rays and gamma rays, i think we were quoted in science that around 6 in to 1 ft of lead will shield from quite intense gamma rays, cosmic rays i think can penetrate large quantities of shielding as they have been talking about shielding spacecraft with hydrogen rich plastics or aluminium due to the effect of the radiation. but cosmic rays wouldnt be emitted from naquadah in my opinion.

For me the weaponisation you are talking about would be best served in a long range sniper or artillary shell, and its construction should be a duel chambered slug with one half potassium and 1 half naquadah. when the impact occurs, the chambers merge and theres ur explosion. for bullets i would just recoment naquadah as a replacement for lead, the bullets shouldnt cause fission of the product, so a heavy naq slug could be added to probably increase the mass of the projective 400% for deeper penetration and damage.

as for Naquadria. i think the best use for this is in an orbital detonation of a naquadria bomb, around 1500ft over a population, this would give a good explosion with a large blast radius and massive collateral damage, like the horizon platform, alternatively id say that just finding ways to introduce unshielded naquadria in to an enemies base of operations would cause massive physical damage to the workforce and maybe use in such as dirty bombs, to contaminate large areas with particulate metal and radiation.
                  sigpic
                  THERE IS NO MORE POWER!!

Comment

naquahdah does not emit radiation. naquahdriah does.

i think the KNq reaction was de-canonised. really, it's that convenient, it would've allowed us to annihilate goauld ships no contest. just sneak a bar of litium onboard (even stronger than Potassium) and voila, superboom

Comment

yeh, i hate it when they decanonise stuff, it would have made a great plot point, although i didnt like that ships were made of, powered by, and had weapons made of naquadah. plus it never seems any tougher than steel or aerospace aluminium. i want the 'quartzite' superconductive capacitor element from the original film :/
                      sigpic
                      THERE IS NO MORE POWER!!

Comment

what do you mean, not tough? staffblasts went straight through the bulkhead doors in the SGC, yet in goauld ships, they caused BURN MARKS. stopping high energy plasma without melting is very tough.

also, we're talking a superspaceship. even our own ships have asgard reenforcements and trinium alloys. and that's to lower costs.

Comment

plz quote ep where said staff blasts penetrate sgc bulkhead doors plz.

cuz if thats the case how come anubis didnt hop into someone grab a staff and just blast through the doors in the ep where he was trapped in the SGC?
                          Last edited by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei; 12 February 2010, 10:59 AM.

Comment

you seriously want me to go over 200 episodes to check in which one, the coming in hot caused the bolts to penetrate blast doors? later trinium alloy doors might've stopped them. it was some "coming in hot" scene

Comment

actually yes
                              i have all 200 hudred eps and i have seen them over and over and i cant recall ever having seen a staff blast penetrate a blast door

Comment

it radiates exotic radiation AND gamma. and since it's radioactive and thus emits gamma radiation, it's dangerous.
                                I'm pretty sure noone doubts that its dangerous...but everything we've seen suggests that the radiation can be shielded...

and yes, naquahdriah emits exotic radiation
                                where's your proof? there is nothing in the series to even suggest that...everything we've seen suggests that naquadriah radiation is manageable, even by Jonas' planet's 1940's era technology...if naquadriah released exotic radiation, the shielding that protected Jonas from the radiation that killed Jackson would have been useless and Jonas would have died with him...and considering that even the Ancients could not find a way to contain exotic radiation, how the hell would we have been able to do so to create the naquadriah reactor for the Prometheus' hyperdrive...

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
                                actually yes
                                i have all 200 hudred eps and i have seen them over and over and i cant recall ever having seen a staff blast penetrate a blast door
                                I agree with this...I've watched all the SG-1 episodes multiple times and I don't ever remember anything penetrating a blast door...I remember seeing stuff penetrating the glass or going through the gaps when they're closing the blast doors but nothing ever actually penetrating the blast doors...
                                and saying "coming in hot" is really not useful since the blast doors are only used when they're "coming in hot" which has happened many many times...maybe a little better description of the episode would help...
                                Last edited by tinerin; 12 February 2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X