This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
    Although the Odyssey wasn't fully completed and the fact their shields had never been tested was raised.
    God I hate the way TPTB shy away from giving us a real answer lol. Are there any other examples? Like 'Company of thieves' was it said in that episode what the ha'tak fire was doing to the Oddy's shields?

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
      God I hate the way TPTB shy away from giving us a real answer lol. Are there any other examples? Like 'Company of thieves' was it said in that episode what the ha'tak fire was doing to the Oddy's shields?
      No, but according to Carter there was a neutron star nearby which was strong enough to weaken their shields... so there goes that scenario.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        No, but according to Carter there was a neutron star nearby which was strong enough to weaken their shields... so there goes that scenario.
        again TPTB shying away from giving us a real answer, it's so annoying lol. I think that's the only times ha'taks and a 304 have faced off isn't it?

Comment

Well hammond said promethius could take out a hatak and alkesh, so i think deadalus could. Yes it is very very annoying how vague the PTB are.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
            Well hammond said promethius could take out a hatak and alkesh, so i think deadalus could. Yes it is very very annoying how vague the PTB are.
            I think hammond was lying lol, our rail guns basically do nothing against their shields and I don't know about missiles but I think Ha'tak fire could overcome the prommie (RIP) shields before they could overcome it's, atleast when it was first built, probs not after upgrades though. Yeah I know a daedalus could but I'd like to know how many ha'tak they'd need to take out a deddy class, I think 3.

Just to add, the prommie did run scared in 'Prometheus Unbound' at the thought of a ha'tak close by, so they could'nt of been that confident.
            Last edited by kirmit; 11 October 2007, 01:28 PM.

Comment

But at this point it apparently possessed asgard shields and weapons. But no rail guns, i think its possible that we couldve took out a hatak at that point, or at least damaged it enough, the alkesh would probley caused more damage, we seemed to be better at sustaining ourselves agaisnt direct fire, ie 30+ motherships firing on the Prommie than say alkesh throwing energy bombs at us let right and centre. We shouldnt underestimate the prommie, it performed better in antartica than any ship up until unending.
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                But at this point it apparently possessed asgard shields and weapons. But no rail guns, i think its possible that we couldve took out a hatak at that point, or at least damaged it enough, the alkesh would probley caused more damage, we seemed to be better at sustaining ourselves agaisnt direct fire, ie 30+ motherships firing on the Prommie than say alkesh throwing energy bombs at us let right and centre. We shouldnt underestimate the prommie, it performed better in antartica than any ship up until unending.
                In 'Lost City' it was only Anubis' mothership firing on the prommie and most of the shots fired missed, though yeah quite impressive that it took that much of a beating. About the railguns, they were quite rubbish in 'Off the Grid' against ha'taks.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  1.) Using his post as proof really just equals no proof, sorry.

2.) Not true. We know from "No Man's Land" and "Lost City" that drones will weave around and avoid enemy aircraft unless instructed to seek them out. The drones would, unlike our primitive missiles, be able to avoid the death gliders and al'kesh and target the big ships themselves.

3.) Are all of you forgetting the dozens of turrets on these things? We now know ("Lifeline") that Lantean-era warships came equipped with energy weapons, and we saw the turrets themselves on the Orion, so they could use those to fight off the enemy, as well.
                  Ok I was not using his post as proof, but just what I thought, you can think what ever you want.

And IMHO the wraith did not come up with the tactic of throwing themselves in the line of fire over night they most likely used the same tactic on the Ancients. And if you have a wall of gliders it would be hard fire around it.

I did forget the turrets but at a longer range they would be totally ineffective.

Comment

In promteheus unbound they couldn't square off against a Ha'tak because they were nearly out of ammo and their shields had failed (they were exiting atmosphere which apparantly drains shields more).

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson View Post
                      In promteheus unbound they couldn't square off against a Ha'tak because they were nearly out of ammo and their shields had failed (they were exiting atmosphere which apparantly drains shields more).
                      Well when they were sitting on the ground they had no shields. The death gliders were shooting at it like ducks in a pond.
                      So most likely they damaged a power station or damaged the shield somehow and they did seem to run out of oridience really quick, I thought that was different.

Comment

In 'Lost City' it was only Anubis' mothership firing on the prommie and most of the shots fired missed, though yeah quite impressive that it took that much of a beating. About the railguns, they were quite rubbish in 'Off the Grid' against ha'taks.
                        Still the Flagship was the most powerful ship in the MW at that time, eyes or not the flagships even that apophis had were 10x more powerful than a normal hatak, even if 1/10 of the hits stuck, we still could have survived against a hatak for a considerable period of time, Sg1 was being covered by prommie for at least 5 minutes, and at the rate of fire hundreds of energy bolts hit our shields. Yes they were taken down eventually, but thats still more impressive than ive seen from the deadalus classes against hataks and i would say anubis flagship was as powerful as a hive so yeah, so far i think prommie was still our most defensively effective ship. Until unending/ZPM
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

I agree that regular super motherships are equal to Hives.

However, Annubis super mothership with the Eyes is definitely more powerful than any Hive ever. And its firepower against motherships is close or equivalent to the Ori, per shot (notice that super mothership destroy 6 Ha'taks at once, 6 eyes powering it, 6 shots!). It's firepower against stationary targets is off the scale, destroying a planet.

But Annubis super mothership shields are only improved G'ould.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                            Alright then how many ha'taks would it take to beat a Wraith Hive? Because unless its all the sysyem Lord ships then my argument works

Lets just say it takes 8 ha'taks to take down a hive (I think thats a fair number)

Now lets say 12 hives to one Aurora-Class Ship (once again a a safe number)

so 12x8= 96

So it would take 96 ha'taks to do the same as 12 hives now lets factor in that there are at least 200 ha'taks if not more (I think more) thats two times what is needed

Now against these numbers the Aurora-Class Ship shields would fail under teh stress of 200 megaton shot per ha'tak

I did not say that the Ha'taks would not take a beating and loses but they would win with superior numbers
                            Wrong! Why? Because you're making the assumption that firepower is linear, as in "if the firepower of a Hive is equivalent to 8 Ha'ataks, and if it takes 12 Ha'ataks to overwhelm and Aurora, then 96 Ha'taks would overwhelm an Aurora."

The problem with this reasoning is that the surface area of the Aurora is limited. In other words, what matters is the amount of energy that hits the shield at a given time.

12 Hives firing at once are able to deliver a hit of energy to the Aurora's shield that overwhelms it in the given surface area of the Aurora. Conversely, there is simply not enough space in the shield for the energy shots from 96 Ha'ataks to hit it at once. The most that would hit the Aurora at once- if the cannons of the Ha'ataks deliver bolts of energy with the same diameter of those of Hives - would be the blasts from 12 Ha'taks, and that would somply not be enough to overwhelm the Aurora's shields ever. To overwhelm a shield, you need to deliver an "X" amount of energy per "X" square space at a given time, and no amount of Ha'ataks can do that to an Aurora.

Comment

Why wouldn't the energy just stack up? Its like hitting a wall with a sledge hammer then a sledge hammer on top of that its not as effective but its still going to do damage

I mean if the Goa'uld keep shooting 200 megatons 96 times at once at a Aurora-Class Ship and we have seen ha'taks have a good rate of fire so why not be able to take the shields down? I'm not saying teh ha'taks wouldn't take damage they would most of them would be destroyed but the combinded fleets would kill one Aurora-Class Ship
                              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                              A Face you Can Trust
                              sigpic
                              So whats the worst that could happen?
                              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I think 3 Ha'tak per Hive is quite a reasonable number.

Comment

Working...
                                X