This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capricorn_One View Post
    Well it has been stated that the Lanteans have not been in a war for generations and that they were arrogant.
    I do recall that scene. I'd love to see that play out on camera, though.

See, at least the Ori have some idea how to fight a war. There's an advantage for them.

Comment

Well they do have the Satellite weapon which imo is the strongest energy weapon seen in SG though it seems to big for a ship.

The Aurora's themselves are covered in small turrets so they do seem to have secondary weapons. What about the Ori since 'Camelot' they seem to have only one forward facing canon! All the smaller weapons have disappeared...
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
        Well they do have the Satellite weapon which imo is the strongest energy weapon seen in SG though it seems to big for a ship.
        I don't know. I'm not completely sold on that for the fact that it took out a Wraith ship. Those things don't even have shields.

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
        The Aurora's themselves are covered in small turrets so they do seem to have secondary weapons. What about the Ori since 'Camelot' they seem to have only one forward facing canon! All the smaller weapons have disappeared...
        As a secondary weapon, yes, they do. We don't know how effective those really are, though. As for the Ori, why use the secondary weapons if you can take everything out in one hit? And by everything, I mean most. They're still better at waging a war than their Ancient counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
          The Asgard referred to them as the 'Ancients' in "The Fifth Race". Though, I suppose that could have been out of respect.
          Or the fact that that episode premiered 7 years before the words "Altera" or "Lantean" were ever thought up?

The drones trump the satellite. The reason it was so big was possibly due to the fact that it needed room to store the trickle of energy from it's power source (IE: It had big capacitors).

The Aurora's themselves are covered in small turrets so they do seem to have secondary weapons.
          Could be an CIWS, like the smaller railguns on the Daedalus class ships.

What about the Ori since 'Camelot' they seem to have only one forward facing canon! All the smaller weapons have disappeared...
          We haven't seen them engage multiple ships since Camelot. If they're only going after one target, it makes sense to bust out the big honking ray gun, right?
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

The way I see the comments from driving the Ori off in the AU, they almost depleted a whole ZPM against one ship, and they don't even claim to destroy it.....This seems very much like what would probably be seen if they attacked a Lantian ship, since their shields would repel most drones, but would nonetheless take damage from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
              The drones trump the satellite. The reason it was so big was possibly due to the fact that it needed room to store the trickle of energy from it's power source (IE: It had big capacitors).
              In large numbers yes but it takes Z.P.M's and other large powersources to power enough drones to be effective against a Hive ship a single Naquadah generator can power the satellite fully and allow it to slice Hives in half.

Could be an CIWS, like the smaller railguns on the Daedalus class ships.
              Compared to the size of the ship those guns are pretty massive and could probably damage capital ships though that is speculation.

We haven't seen them engage multiple ships since Camelot. If they're only going after one target, it makes sense to bust out the big honking ray gun, right?
              Multiple ships is irrelevent if a ship is flying around you e.g Flesh and blood and Unending it makes sense to hit them with secondary canons.

I don't know. I'm not completely sold on that for the fact that it took out a Wraith ship. Those things don't even have shields.
              It cut a hive ship in half in one hit that's incredably impressive and they may have shields we just couldn't activate them. It would be stupid if they didn't.

As a secondary weapon, yes, they do. We don't know how effective those really are, though. As for the Ori, why use the secondary weapons if you can take everything out in one hit? And by everything, I mean most. They're still better at waging a war than their Ancient counterparts.
              Why use secondaries? Because your main gun only points in one direction and ships can manuever around you.
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

The ori Secondary cannons impressed me quite a bit. In addition to their main cannon knocking out a Ha'tak in one hit, it appeared to only take a couple shots from their secondary cannon to take a Ha'tak out as well.
                If the cannons we see on the Aurora are anything like those than the Aurora class ship is exceptionally powerful. There are a LOT of cannons on that thing.
                www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                  The ori Secondary cannons impressed me quite a bit. In addition to their main cannon knocking out a Ha'tak in one hit, it appeared to only take a couple shots from their secondary cannon to take a Ha'tak out as well.
                  If the cannons we see on the Aurora are anything like those than the Aurora class ship is exceptionally powerful. There are a LOT of cannons on that thing.
                  Too bad they seem to be powered by plot power, and remain depleted as long as you have Main Good Character card, with a Lucky token on it, which forbids all Ori warships from using these cannons.

Whenever you draw a Main Good Character from your card deck, put a Lucky token and a Character Shields token on it.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

It cut a hive ship in half in one hit that's incredably impressive and they may have shields we just couldn't activate them. It would be stupid if they didn't.
                    I was actually talking about the Wraith hive not having shields. Still, though, who knows if the satellite had shields...

Comment

I was actually talking about the Wraith hive not having shields. Still, though, who knows if the satellite had shields...
                      Please tell me you're not one of the people who think shields are the beggining and end of ship defence.

A hive is covered in dozens of meter of super hard armor and 11km long and anything that can cut that in half in incredibly strong!

Comment

Please tell me you're not one of the people who think shields are the beggining and end of ship defence.
                        Shields in Stargate are pretty silly, and most ships don't seem to have armor at all, or at least it's never been mentioned. Every time an enemy shot gets through the shields, the ship automatically begins taking hull damage as well as damage to their ship systems.
                        Maybe the hulls are so dense that they don't need to bolt armor on them?

A hive is covered in dozens of meter of super hard armor and 11km long and anything that can cut that in half in incredibly strong!
                        Dozens of meters of super hard armor? Where are you pulling that information from? Cite your references.

We know the Wraith ships have organic ship hulls, and can regenerate over time. That's pretty cool, but having shields on top of that would really make them rock.
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Shields may not be the beginning and end, but they are basically the part between 1% and 99%. Shields are the ship defense that are 100% expendable. They are merely energy. Even if they take "damage" you simply recharge them, no harm done. The same cannot be said for ship hulls.
                          www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

look at ancient tech, I barely working Orion took down a much larger hive, when an Asgard ship took quite a pounding from the Ori ship and had to retreat, and isn't a hive allot larger then an Ori ship? so I'd say that option 3 would be my best guess,

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                              Shields may not be the beginning and end, but they are basically the part between 1% and 99%. Shields are the ship defense that are 100% expendable. They are merely energy. Even if they take "damage" you simply recharge them, no harm done. The same cannot be said for ship hulls.
                              Yeah that's true shields are better because the ship shouldn't be taking damage while they're up but that doesn't mean an Armored vessel is any easier to destory especially one as large as a hive ship.

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                              Shields in Stargate are pretty silly, and most ships don't seem to have armor at all, or at least it's never been mentioned. Every time an enemy shot gets through the shields, the ship automatically begins taking hull damage as well as damage to their ship systems.
                              Maybe the hulls are so dense that they don't need to bolt armor on them?
                              That's possible Stargate materials are ludicously tough.

Dozens of meters of super hard armor? Where are you pulling that information from? Cite your references.

We know the Wraith ships have organic ship hulls, and can regenerate over time. That's pretty cool, but having shields on top of that would really make them rock.
                              Well it's more personal observation. Hive ships have both organic and non organic structures. If you look at the ship you can see a thick layer of coloured matieral over most of the ship many meters thick which logically would be armor. There's also the fact that the weak spots of the ship are the areas without this matieral.

Comment

Working...
                              X