This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sauron18 View Post
    The Ori technology seems to be at the level at which the Ori were when they ascended. Much like Ancient and Lantian technology. None of these races ever lived long enough to complete their tech to the fullest.

The Asgard's current level of technology is, in certain areas, more advanced, but this is simply because they've had the time to advance it, as well as the ability to look into the Ancients database.

The Asurans, though we haven't seen too much of them, would also be at the highest level of technology possible, since they have advanced as much as they can on this plane of existance.

As such, their level of technology would most likely go (from greatest to lowest):

Asurans > Asgard > Lantians > Ori > Ancients
    What is the difference between Lantians and Anienrts?
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

The Ori technology seems to be at the level at which the Ori were when they ascended. Much like Ancient and Lantian technology. None of these races ever lived long enough to complete their tech to the fullest.

The Asgard's current level of technology is, in certain areas, more advanced, but this is simply because they've had the time to advance it, as well as the ability to look into the Ancients database.

The Asurans, though we haven't seen too much of them, would also be at the highest level of technology possible, since they have advanced as much as they can on this plane of existance.

As such, their level of technology would most likely go (from greatest to lowest):

Asurans > Asgard > Lantians > Ori > Ancients
      Asurans: You can't say that. From what we've seen of their tech so far, they equal the Lanteans and nothing more.

Asgard: Agree

Lanteans/Ancients: Same thing. I'd put them eual to each other.

Ori: From what we've seen, they about equal the Ancients. Nothing they've done is any more powerful than their tech.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        Asurans: You can't say that. From what we've seen of their tech so far, they equal the Lanteans and nothing more.

Ori: From what we've seen, they about equal the Ancients. Nothing they've done is any more powerful than their tech.
        There is proof that the Oei have done one thing better then the ancinets, the Ori are able to make advanced humans while the ancinets made a machine that made some ancinets ascend and others die (Tao of Rodney) so the Ori got that one in there favor but other then that they seem to pretty close but I still like the Ori a little better for tech
        A Face you Can Trust
        sigpic
        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
          I would say the Ori are more advanced as unlike the acncients they have still been somewhat active and have not been held back by plauges and Wars.

I mean the Ori have Supergates, Superpowerful ships, Interplanet rings (maybe? at least it looked like it from when vala and dan where takern to the city of the ori from the village planet), Staff weapons which can control vast amounts of energy, Planet wide shields which absord energy from attacking weapons, Mutant Bugs.

So at least in the art of war the Ori have better tech.

Then again the ancients did have Dakara!
          Supergates: The Ancients invented the Stargates. I think it's safe to assume they could have built a Supergate, too.

Superpowerful Ships: Aurora-class vessels?

Interplanetary Rings: We don't know yet. Clestus may have been on the same planet as the village.

Staff Weapons: Ancient stunners can stun a person with no visible energy blast to give it away. Asuran weapons (probably originated from Lantean tech) are as powerful as staff weapons.

Planetwide Shields: The Atlantis shield was said to be able to cover most of Lantea at full power in "Echoes"

Mutant Bugs: They never said whether R75 was created by the Ori or not. They speculated that they MIGHT have been, but they didn't know.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
            There is proof that the Oei have done one thing better then the ancinets, the Ori are able to make advanced humans while the ancinets made a machine that made some ancinets ascend and others die (Tao of Rodney) so the Ori got that one in there favor but other then that they seem to pretty close but I still like the Ori a little better for tech
            I don't think that counts. The Ori can only make someone a Prior by passing through them ("Origin"). That's not a technological thing.

Although, Adria DID make Daniel a Prior with her pendant, so I suppose you have a point.

Comment

I don't think that counts. The Ori can only make someone a Prior by passing through them ("Origin"). That's not a technological thing.

Although, Adria DID make Daniel a Prior with her pendant, so I suppose you have a point.
              Even though that is true its still a close race but the ori are +1 to the ancinets

The Asgard are super smart so if they didn't build weapons that could beat the Ori then guess what the show sucks balls. They had to make a way to beat them and from what we have seen the Asgard Weapons on the O'Neill had no effect on ori shields and that is the best ship that the Asgard have ever built so if it weren't for the last minute weapons that the Asgard built they would not have been able to beat the Ori
              A Face you Can Trust
              sigpic

Comment

My comment is mainly based on things they themeselves have said, specifically saying that they are stagnant and there's nothing else they can do in this plane. Maybe it's me, but it sounds to me like they've advanced all they can.

Of course, we won't be able to see until we get more of them, and hopefully see them....in action.

Coolness.

I don't think so, Ancients still made use of ring technology and weaker shields and weapons in general (presumabely, or Goa'Uld are horrible scavengers). Nevertheless, very similar, but what we've seen suggests thousands of years of difference and advancement.

Yes, to the Ancients I'd agree, though not the Lantians, only slightly less. I'd say all 3 groups are VERY close together, but slightly higher than one another.

Comment

My comment is mainly based on things they themeselves have said, specifically saying that they are stagnant and there's nothing else they can do in this plane. Maybe it's me, but it sounds to me like they've advanced all they can.

Of course, we won't be able to see until we get more of them, and hopefully see them....in action.

Coolness.

I don't think so, Ancients still made use of ring technology and weaker shields and weapons in general (presumabely, or Goa'Uld are horrible scavengers). Nevertheless, very similar, but what we've seen suggests thousands of years of difference and advancement.

Yes, to the Ancients I'd agree, though not the Lantians, only slightly less. I'd say all 3 groups are VERY close together, but slightly higher than one another.
                  The Lanteans also make use of ring tech (the transporters use the same principal and make the same noise). As for weaker shields and weapons... Both used drones, which are immensely powerful. We haven't seen any non-Lantean Ancient shields yet, but I'm assuming they'll be equal, too.

Comment

I still haven't seen "Unending", so my post may be impacted by that. However, the following is what I believe. There are going to be some spoilers for Seasons 9/10, so be warned. Read at your own risk, cause I don't feel like putting any spoiler tags in.

The Ori and the Asgard. Many of you seem to be under the impression that the little, gray guys are kicking the snot out of the Ori. If that were the case, why is it that in "Camelot", they got pawned with everyone else? Either that, or they ran like cowards, which is pretty much the same difference. If they were so much more powerful, they should have easily been able to dish out some damage. Didn't see that happening. This one goes to the Ori.

Many of you seem to be under the impression that the Ancients are more powerful than the Ori. Guess what? I'm the odd one out. Again. I believe that the Ori and the Ancients are about on the same technological level. The Ori may have favored religion and the Ancients science but the latter died out 10,000 years ago. The Ori have had that long to upgrade their technology for any potential war against 'unbelievers'. Many of you claim that the Lantean satellite is more powerful. Guess what? It tore through a Wraith ship. I, for one, am not very impressed. Why? They don't exactly come equipped with shields, do they? The Ori satellite weapons prove they can destroy most ships in one hit (even if they have shields); the exception seems to be the Asgard and their designed shields (which is probably expected as they were one the alliance members). Either way, that's about 2-3 hits. Still pretty flipping impressive. On to shields. We've seen Ancient shields withstand a barrage of firepower from Wraith ships and stand up to wave. We've seen Ori shields withstand a ship crashing into them and take a fleet of ships firing everything they have at them. They do, however, have that one fatal flaw that everyone keeps pointing out. Though, if you can't take advantage of it, is it really a disadvantage? The Ori seem to have upgraded their rings, since they seem to be able to deploy them anywhere. We haven't seen the Ancients do that. Now, Ancient staff weapons or Ori staff weapons? They both seem to be largely ineffective, slow firing pieces of junk. Though, you have to hand it to the Ori, they at least make their stuff look cool. I could probably go on and on about their different technology but it seems to come out pretty even.

I also believe that the Asurans and Wraith stand no chance at all. That is all. I feel some red coming on for my difference in opinion.

Comment

Lets clarify the players a bit here.

The Altera and the Ori were both the same species, but two different civilizations. The Altera embraced science and the applied use of that science (technology). The Ori embraced their faith, so while they had access to Altera technology, they were not striving to improve on it.

The Altera created the StarGates and Ring transports in the Milky Way. They also had a knack for using materials that had a 'rough' look to them. When you look closely at a StarGate, it has the look of unrefined naquadah (it looks like a dark colored, quartz material). The rings look similar to this as well.

The Altera civilization was wiped out in the plague. During the plague, they created a lot of devices to try and save themselves, including the time-loop device seen in Window of Opportunity, and the Dakara device seen in Reckoning Pt. II and Counterstrike.
                      The time-loop device was likely created early on, when the plague had erupted and started wiping them all out. It still had the rough stone-look of Altera technology, and used the stone "whack-a-mole" control console to control it. The Dakara device also used the "whack-a-mole" console, but originally had a very Lantean-looking display screen when it was first shown in Reckoning Pt. II (later the screen was taken out, and it was just the whack-a-mole console), which would seem to indicate that the Dakara device was built at the end of the plague.

Those Altera that survived the plague established the Lantean civilization which went on to create Atlantis (Whether or not the civilization was named after the ship, or the ship was named after the civilization is unknown). That technology has a refined metallic-look to it, which is a visual cue that it's newer technology, as far as ancient technology goes.

Then there is ancient technology that looks almost nothing like that which preceded it. The intergalactic communication device seen in Avalon Pt. II, the "big honking space gun" from the episode Ascension, and the Repositories of Ancient Knowledge seen in The Fifth Race, The Lost City Pt. I, and The Quest Pt. II. They all bear an uncanny 'organic' look to them.

The only technology from previous ancient civilization that look anything like these devices are the ancient drones and the ancient control chair, which would seem to indicate that the Lanteans latest technology was taking on an organic look to it, and of course there's the fact that several of these organic looking devices have been designed and/or built by descended ancients (Merlin, Orlin, etc.).

So, we have old ancient technology that has a rough, stone-look, which is Alteran. We have a more refined metallic-looking technology, which is Lantean. And there is the organic-looking technology, which seems to be the latest and greatest from the Lantean civilization (or descended ancients).

Now lets look at the Ori technology. At first glance, I'd say it bears a striking resemblance to the older Lantean technology, in that it has the refined metallic-look to it, but when you get inside one of their ships, they seem to look similar to earlier Alteran designs; the halls look like they were created with unrefined materials, with refined looking technology mixed in.

So, based on the way the production of these props, models and sets are being presented, I'd say:

The Ori technology falls somewhere between late Alteran and early Lantean technology.

This makes sense if you consider that the last time the Ori would have had any knowledge of the Altera would have been at about the time of the plague. Once the Altera civilization had died off, the ascended Altera began shielding the Milky Way from the Ori, which means the Ori wouldn't have been able to see how the Lantean civilization improved on the earlier Altera technology.

So while the Ori technology looks very impressive, it's still a few grades shy of early Lantean technology. If we had the opportunity to see Ori ships face off against Lantean ships, I think the Ori would get their asses handed to them, as long as it was an even fight.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                        Lets clarify the players a bit here.

The Altera and the Ori were both the same species, but two different civilizations. The Altera embraced science and the applied use of that science (technology). The Ori embraced their faith, so while they had access to Altera technology, they were not striving to improve on it.

The Altera created the StarGates and Ring transports in the Milky Way. They also had a knack for using materials that had a 'rough' look to them. When you look closely at a StarGate, it has the look of unrefined naquadah (it looks like a dark colored, quartz material). The rings look similar to this as well.

The Altera civilization was wiped out in the plague. During the plague, they created a lot of devices to try and save themselves, including the time-loop device seen in Window of Opportunity, and the Dakara device seen in Reckoning Pt. II and Counterstrike.
                        The time-loop device was likely created early on, when the plague had erupted and started wiping them all out. It still had the rough stone-look of Altera technology, and used the stone "whack-a-mole" control console to control it. The Dakara device also used the "whack-a-mole" console, but originally had a very Lantean-looking display screen when it was first shown in Reckoning Pt. II (later the screen was taken out, and it was just the whack-a-mole console), which would seem to indicate that the Dakara device was built at the end of the plague.

Those Altera that survived the plague established the Lantean civilization which went on to create Atlantis (Whether or not the civilization was named after the ship, or the ship was named after the civilization is unknown). That technology has a refined metallic-look to it, which is a visual cue that it's newer technology, as far as ancient technology goes.

Then there is ancient technology that looks almost nothing like that which preceded it. The intergalactic communication device seen in Avalon Pt. II, the "big honking space gun" from the episode Ascension, and the Repositories of Ancient Knowledge seen in The Fifth Race, The Lost City Pt. I, and The Quest Pt. II. They all bear an uncanny 'organic' look to them.

The only technology from previous ancient civilization that look anything like these devices are the ancient drones and the ancient control chair, which would seem to indicate that the Lanteans latest technology was taking on an organic look to it, and of course there's the fact that several of these organic looking devices have been designed and/or built by descended ancients (Merlin, Orlin, etc.).

So, we have old ancient technology that has a rough, stone-look, which is Alteran. We have a more refined metallic-looking technology, which is Lantean. And there is the organic-looking technology, which seems to be the latest and greatest from the Lantean civilization (or descended ancients).

Now lets look at the Ori technology. At first glance, I'd say it bears a striking resemblance to the older Lantean technology, in that it has the refined metallic-look to it, but when you get inside one of their ships, they seem to look similar to earlier Alteran designs; the halls look like they were created with unrefined materials, with refined looking technology mixed in.

So, based on the way the production of these props, models and sets are being presented, I'd say:

The Ori technology falls somewhere between late Alteran and early Lantean technology.

This makes sense if you consider that the last time the Ori would have had any knowledge of the Altera would have been at about the time of the plague. Once the Altera civilization had died off, the ascended Altera began shielding the Milky Way from the Ori, which means the Ori wouldn't have been able to see how the Lantean civilization improved on the earlier Altera technology.

So while the Ori technology looks very impressive, it's still a few grades shy of early Lantean technology. If we had the opportunity to see Ori ships face off against Lantean ships, I think the Ori would get their asses handed to them, as long as it was an even fight.
                        Completely agree. There have been other points of evidence to show that the Ori are not on par with the Ancients either. My favorite piece of that evidence are drones.

In Road Not Taken, Landry says that they fought off an Ori warship with Drones. While this is open to interpretation for the exact details, it makes it abundantly clear that DRONES WILL be effective against Ori ships.

Now compare this to the Ancients. The Puddle Jumpers have never been shown to have particularly strong shielding. However, in Return Part II, Shepperds jumper deflects a drone, and the shields clearly interact with the drone itself. Now this could be for a number of reasons, not least because the Ancients invented the Drones, but regardless, their shields are effective, whereas the Ori's are not.

Next piece. The Asurans. The Asurans are, for all intents and purposes, the Ancients in robot form. They have the same technologies and methods, they just happen to be replicators. Now, in First Strike, when their Stargate "ship" drops out of hyperspace and begins to attack, the FIRST THING I would have done would have been to hit it with Drones. They don't do this. Mckay states that Drones probably wouldn't even effect it. Now you would think that it would still be worth a try, but they don't even attempt it. They go through a whole bunch of crazy cooky wacked out ideas, rather than just launch Drones at it.

This shows that they were literally 100% sure that Drones would have no effect on a little Stargate protected by Ancient/Asuran shielding. So far we have two pieces of strong evidence which indicates that Ancient Shields are superior to Ori Shields.

That only covers shields, but it stands to reason that their military technology was all about on the same line, and not one or two things vastly superior to everything else.

Next is the Ancient defense Satellite. This satellite, being powered by nothing but a Naquada generator running on backup conduits, produces a beam which literally cuts a Hive ship in half. This is extremely impressive. Nothing we've seen yet has managed to do as much damage to a Hive, save Drones, and it took hundreds if not thousands of drones to complete that task in No Mans Land.

Compare that to the Ori satellite, which was able to bypass the Prometheus' shielding, but took 3 actual hits to destroy it, and the third hit was the only shot that actually penetrated the hull and kept going. The Ancient satellite went through the Wraith Hive without even slowing down, like a hot knife through butter.

Now its been argued that the Ori satellite was less advanced because it was built by the Rand and what not, but I don't buy that. The thing was up and running with a pretty powerful shield by the time we fought it, it obviously wasn't a half assed project.

The Ancient satellite, on the other hand, was damaged and beat up pretty badly, but it still managed to wipe out a Hive ship in one shot. It should be noted that Hive ships hulls are vastly more sturdy than the hull of the Prometheus.

Now we can also compare that in a way to the Ori Main weapons. Those weapons appear far more effective than the Satellite weapon, as it takes them only 2 shots to drop the shields of a Daedalus class vessel, and they have a similar effect on ships as did the Ancient satellite weapon. They cut through and then just keep on going. This would suggest that the main weapons fired from ships are either powered more efficiently, or are just more powerful altogether.

If that keeps in line, then it would stand to reason that if the Ancients put those types of weapons on THEIR capital ships, they would also be more powerful. Since they could already cut a Hive in half with one shot, who knows how powerful a ship mounted cannon would be. Probably enough to overwhelm the Ori relatively quickly.

All in all, there is a LOT of evidence which points to the Ancients being more advanced, at least in their later technology, but very little, if any at all, which points to the Ori being more advanced. In fact most of the arguments for the Ori are pure conjecture and speculation anyway.
                        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

I always thought that in road not taken it meant that it was able to make the Ori ship retreat with drones but not completly destroy it plus that is in an alternate reality so who knows if that is a valid point
                          A Face you Can Trust
                          sigpic

Comment

I always thought that in road not taken it meant that it was able to make the Ori ship retreat with drones but not completly destroy it plus that is in an alternate reality so who knows if that is a valid point
                            Even if the Ori only retreat it means they retreated to prevent being destroyed no real difference. And the fact that it is an AU is a stupid point (no offense) it was incredably similar to ours and why would the Ori be significanly weaker or the drones significanly stronger in their universe?
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I always thought that in road not taken it meant that it was able to make the Ori ship retreat with drones but not completly destroy it
                              The exact quote is:
                              Originally posted by The Road Not Taken
                              LORNE: Three weeks ago, the Ori attempted an attack on Earth.

CARTER: You survived an Ori attack?

HAMMOND: One ship. We fought them off with the Ancient chair. The ZPM was nearly depleted in the process.
                              They didn't specify whether the ship was destroyed or retreated, but the point is that the drones work against the Ori ships.

plus that is in an alternate reality so who knows if that is a valid point
                              Of course it's a valid point. The technology is the same, the only thing that's different is the circumstances.
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

That's what I thought too. They said drone weapons were effective; they never said 'how' effective. That could mean it just weakens the shields to a small degree, which is more than can be said for their own weapons. And if the alternate reality had enough drones to keep going at it for a while, the Ori ship simply retreated to rethink the strategy. Or maybe they retreated simply because they had never seen drones before. It's not exactly much of a point since we don't know the details of the encounter, just a one-line statement about it. For every arguement you can come up with for one side, there's another point for the other side that will keep the issue unresolved. We should just ask TPTB.

Comment

Working...
                                X