Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok guys have to agree with you on the alternate reality point its just when ever I say that a ha'tak shoots a 200 megaton balst because it was said in the show people always it was in an AU so thats why I wanted to be able to say that but I get what you are saying

Now this does show that the Ori vessel is super strong as one Ori ship was able to either withstand a drone barrage or it took the full force of all those drones to beat one ori ship so this shows how super powerful the Ori ship is
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
      That's what I thought too. They said drone weapons were effective; they never said 'how' effective. That could mean it just weakens the shields to a small degree, which is more than can be said for their own weapons. And if the alternate reality had enough drones to keep going at it for a while, the Ori ship simply retreated to rethink the strategy. Or maybe they retreated simply because they had never seen drones before. It's not exactly much of a point since we don't know the details of the encounter, just a one-line statement about it. For every arguement you can come up with for one side, there's another point for the other side that will keep the issue unresolved. We should just ask TPTB.
      The drones would have to have done rapid damage and been a significant threat straight away otherwise the Ori would have blasted the outpost.
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
        What is the difference between Lantians and Anienrts?
        The only difference is the names and how much they have advanced in technology.
        Their orignal name is Alterans later they became the Ancients and lived in the Milky Way Galaxy later they moved to Pegaus Galaxy are known as the Atlantians/Lantians.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
          The drones would have to have done rapid damage and been a significant threat straight away otherwise the Ori would have blasted the outpost.
          Again, Ancient weapon that they had never seen before. Perhaps they wanted to capture the outpost for their own. And before you argue the Dakara Superweapon, keep in mind that that had already been used against them. Revenge, in that situation. One could also argue that they still wanted to convert the population. I don't recall offhand how big the radius of the beam weapon is, though, it could have been mentioned and I just don't remember. There is also the chance that the drone's impact could have been lucky and caused weapon damage or some such. I could keep going on various points but again, until it is stated otherwise, most everything is speculation, and all that really matters is what TPTB decide on the matter. We are all entitled to what we think, though, and I believe that they're about on the same footing.

Comment

Again, Ancient weapon that they had never seen before. Perhaps they wanted to capture the outpost for their own. And before you argue the Dakara Superweapon, keep in mind that that had already been used against them. Revenge, in that situation. One could also argue that they still wanted to convert the population. I don't recall offhand how big the radius of the beam weapon is, though, it could have been mentioned and I just don't remember. There is also the chance that the drone's impact could have been lucky and caused weapon damage or some such. I could keep going on various points but again, until it is stated otherwise, most everything is speculation, and all that really matters is what TPTB decide on the matter. We are all entitled to what we think, though, and I believe that they're about on the same footing.
            No seriously the Ori destroy technology that predates them remember they were either destroyed or forced to retreat fast meaning drones must be pretty effective.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

No seriously the Ori destroy technology that predates them remember they were either destroyed or forced to retreat fast meaning drones must be pretty effective.
              Or one of my other points could be true. Also, drone weapons don't predate them; it simply comes from the side of 'evil'.

Comment

Originally posted by Capricorn_One View Post
                The only difference is the names and how much they have advanced in technology.
                Their orignal name is Alterans later they became the Ancients and lived in the Milky Way Galaxy later they moved to Pegaus Galaxy are known as the Atlantians/Lantians.
                Correction: The only reason they were ever known as "ancients" was because we didn't know what they called themselves. Now we know.

Altera = Ancients that predate the plague
                Lantean = Ancients that suvived the plague

Originally posted by Oranos
                Also, drone weapons don't predate them; it simply comes from the side of 'evil'.
                Drones were developed after the ascended Ori could no longer 'see' what was going on due the the ascended Altera shielding this galaxy from them. As far as the Ori knew, the Altera were wiped out by the plague. All the technology the Lanteans had developed was beyond what the Ori were used to encountering.
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                  Correction: The only reason they were ever known as "ancients" was because we didn't know what they called themselves. Now we know.

Altera = Ancients that predate the plague
                  Lantean = Ancients that suvived the plague
                  The Asgard referred to them as the 'Ancients' in "The Fifth Race". Though, I suppose that could have been out of respect.

Originally posted by Jarnin
                  Drones were developed after the ascended Ori could no longer 'see' what was going on due the the ascended Altera shielding this galaxy from them. As far as the Ori knew, the Altera were wiped out by the plague. All the technology the Lanteans had developed was beyond what the Ori were used to encountering.
                  True that. Maybe it was just me, but I took it to mean that drones were around before the Ori. Maybe it was just the way it was worded or how I read it. I don't know. I'm sick and I have a headache. I blame it all on that.

Comment

Or one of my other points could be true. Also, drone weapons don't predate them; it simply comes from the side of 'evil'.
                    Actually we're both wrong we have no idea when drones were invented But the fact remains the Ori must have taken damage fast other wise they wouldn't have retreated or been destroyed without destroying the source.

Comment

Actually we're both wrong we have no idea when drones were invented
                      Heh. I'll accept that one. At our rate, the Furlings probably invented them.

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
                      But the fact remains the Ori must have taken damage fast other wise they wouldn't have retreated or been destroyed without destroying the source.
                      Which is one of the many possible situations. Either way, drones are actually an extremely ineffective weapon, especially when you run out.

Comment

Heh. I'll accept that one. At our rate, the Furlings probably invented them.
                        That would be a twist lol.

Which is one of the many possible situations. Either way, drones are actually an extremely ineffective weapon, especially when you run out.
                        The most likely suituation imo. But drones in both large and small quantities are very effective. In one on one fight I doubt drones will run out against any opponent and they are incredibly effective until they run out.

Comment

What about the simple fact that the Ori are religious zealots who waged a war on the Alterans, millions and millions years ago?

Why would they have updated their technology since then?

Religious bigroty and technological advances and scientific research hardly go hand in hand.

Plus you'd think that being unrestrained in their galaxy, the Ori would use theri knowledge give to their minions the best of the bestest, the thing that's almost total magic, that bends time and all powers and all that, since it it is build according to the knowledge of the entire universe...

Or like we know, ascension not making you all knowing, the Ori were particularily not interested in actually learning more... and what we see today is both the result of an outdated technology (still impressive) and a intellectual stagnation.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

The most likely suituation imo. But drones in both large and small quantities are very effective. In one on one fight I doubt drones will run out against any opponent and they are incredibly effective until they run out.
                            Well Atlantis had a few drones but didn't even try to use the them against a Wraith Hiveship because they knew that it would not be enough to use against them so in a small quanity they aren't that great
                            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                            A Face you Can Trust
                            sigpic
                            So whats the worst that could happen?
                            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

That would be a twist lol.
                              Wouldn't it, though? I actually just couldn't pass up the chance at a Furling comment.

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
                              I'm surprised that as advanced as the Ancients were, they relied on weapon that could run out. They don't seem to have any effective backup for drones, either. That'd have to be fun.
                              Weapons Officer: Ah, captain, sir. We've just run out of drones.
                              Captain: Oh.

Comment

Wouldn't it, though? I actually just couldn't pass up the chance at a Furling comment.

I'm surprised that as advanced as the Ancients were, they relied on weapon that could run out. They don't seem to have any effective backup for drones, either. That'd have to be fun.
                                Weapons Officer: Ah, captain, sir. We've just run out of drones.
                                Captain: Oh.

Well it has been stated that the Lanteans have not been in a war for generations and that they were arrogant.

Comment

Working...
                                X