Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, did you forget that Beckett himself not only discovered the gene and has it, he is also Scottish. And now that McKay has the gene, it shows that in fact that the writers are weining away from implying nationalism in the direction of America.
    Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

Since this is my thread, I'll ask kindly that folks leave the political BS for another thread. This is about humans, genes, and ancient tech, NOT POLITICS.

Thank you.

EDIT: Incidentally, McKay is CANADIAN.
      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 10 August 2004, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Well with my limited understanding of genetics, I have come up with this theory on why Sheppard seems "more ancient" than everyone else. It is my understanding that a Gene is either D(Dominant) or R(recessive). And when the DNA of the parents are combined you will get a pair in their offspring.

When that pair is DR, the dominant gene is shown. DD will also show the dominant gene, and RR will show the recessive gene. Perhaps when a person is DR with the Ancient gene being the D, you will have a limited ability to use the technology. Perhaps Shepard is DD which would somehow give a person same ability to use the technology as an Ancient; which would lead me to conclude that all ancients are DD. Perhaps this gene is one of the few traits that make us different.

I'm sorry if I was unable to explain this properly. Hopefully someone with a better understanding up what I'm talking about will understand and clarify.

Comment

From what little I remember of my high school biology classes, cobra, that makes sense. It's a nice, logical explanation. Which is probably why it isn't true.

SPOILERS for S7 Fragile Balance
          Spoiler:
          I'm waiting for it to be revealed that Shep was abducted by Loki at some point and improved slightly along the way.

Kidding, of course, but since he can't have been through Nirrti's genetic cuisinart... *sigh*

Comment

My head still hurts from dragging out 9th grade biology class from the depths of my mind

Comment

Though the biological sense does have merit, my theory is that along with the genetics of the Ancient gene, it is also based on other factors, like understanding of systems and the capable minds of those with the gene (Shep being a closet mathematical genius certainly earns some brownie points for using the technology) and with Shep's military training, he has the ability to be a quick thinker and his mind provides the doorway for the gene to do its thing.
              Last edited by Andy867; 11 August 2004, 07:24 AM.

Comment

If Beckett discovered the ATA gene and can give it to Rodney, they must have a way of testing for it, so maybe all they need is a blood sample, and if the person has the gene they contact them and offer them a place on Atlantis. That would explain why so many people on Atlantis have the gene.

Comment

Well, in reality, once Beckett had the retro-gene from the mouse for the delivery of the Ancient gene, he had to use humans for experimentation (though McKay obviously volunteered for the first human trial) and it appears as though the FDA wont have a say in this matter (Its legal in the Pegasus Galaxy ) Its one thing to know HOW something should happen, but with something as complex as the human body, the slightest miscalculation could lead to something as deadly as the uncontrollable urge to run in a small wheel or worse.

Comment

Well I can see why America might have a bunch of gene people as well as Europe...It is not that we are better(listen to McKay on that one) We are the great melting pot after all so although O'neill and Shep being American they obviously came from somewhere else as well...Scotland seems well represented if not in country but in last names(lineage)...and I like the idea that the military(either US or elsewhere) has a bunch because it could just be that those with the ATA gene desire greater challenges like flying, science, and those things that the Ancients were good at...and of course Daniel said that they were the Teachers of Roads...so maybe like the people in Window of Opp, the Anceints on Earth realized their defeat, accepted it, and let the end come and became a part of human society...I think that they could do something really cool with Shep's ability to use the gene so well and I hope that it is more detailed than just simple luck

Comment

Um Sheppard was in no which way affiliated with the SGC as he was stationed in Mucmurdo Antartica and hadn't even heard of the stargate before Rising 1&2. So the only one with the Ancient Gene at the SGC that we know of so far is O'Neill.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
                        Well with my limited understanding of genetics, I have come up with this theory on why Sheppard seems "more ancient" than everyone else. It is my understanding that a Gene is either D(Dominant) or R(recessive). And when the DNA of the parents are combined you will get a pair in their offspring.

When that pair is DR, the dominant gene is shown. DD will also show the dominant gene, and RR will show the recessive gene. Perhaps when a person is DR with the Ancient gene being the D, you will have a limited ability to use the technology. Perhaps Shepard is DD which would somehow give a person same ability to use the technology as an Ancient; which would lead me to conclude that all ancients are DD. Perhaps this gene is one of the few traits that make us different.

I'm sorry if I was unable to explain this properly. Hopefully someone with a better understanding up what I'm talking about will understand and clarify.
                        So do you figure there is an increased chance of finding others with the ATA gene by testing Beckett's and Sheppard's siblings and their ancestors?

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

Yes. According to my theory, Sheppard's parents would have had a 50% chance of having a child with a ability at Beckett's level(DR), a 25% chance for Sheppard's level(DD), and a 25% chance of not having the gene at all(RR). (This is assuming his parents are both DR.)(For Sheppard to be DD they would both have to be at least DR; or one DD and the other DR)

In Beckett's family, it is much harder to determine the ratio of family members with the gene because he would be DR if I am correct. His parents could be: DD/RR, DR/DR, DR/RR.

But yes, there's a much higher probability of someone in Sheppard or Beckett's faimly having the Ancient Gene.

Comment

I wondered, in general, if they tried testing/recruiting other members of the gene-bearer's families. Not just Shep and Beckett, but all those who have the gene.

Also, do they just stick to testing the "best and the brightest" or do they set up some kind of subversive national testing program (saying it's to do with inoculations against germ warfare or similar nonsense) and find EVERYONE who has the gene, even Tanya the Hairdresser in New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
                              Yes. According to my theory, Sheppard's parents would have had a 50% chance of having a child with a ability at Beckett's level(DR), a 25% chance for Sheppard's level(DD), and a 25% chance of not having the gene at all(RR). (This is assuming his parents are both DR.)(For Sheppard to be DD they would both have to be at least DR; or one DD and the other DR)

In Beckett's family, it is much harder to determine the ratio of family members with the gene because he would be DR if I am correct. His parents could be: DD/RR, DR/DR, DR/RR.

But yes, there's a much higher probability of someone in Sheppard or Beckett's faimly having the Ancient Gene.
                              So the odds of having more than one ATA gene carrying person with the Stargate Atlantis crew is slim, but the odds of finding the other 374,998-ish should go up if it follows some genetic laws and you test the relatives. If they find other people who have the ATA gene, seems like they'd try to recruit them if they can be trained to control the use of the gene (unlike Beckett in the chair). Even a human version of JarJarBinks could prove useful even if the person isn't the most graceful...

Also, could the ATA be a "mutation" that shows up randomly, or a recessive gene, where you'll need "RR" to activate it? On second thought, scratch that.

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

1/16000 = .00625%
                                ya, so 375,000 ppl would have the gene, if the humna pop is 6 bil, im not sure

Comment

Working...
                                X