Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy thought, well to me, not too crazy. Maybe the people who have the genes and can use the Ancients technology are like descendants of... nevermind, right now i don't know, i hope they explain this on the show.
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

You think they have a single ancestor? What did you have in mind: A sort of Ancient version of Shaft putting it about all over the Cromagnon world?
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

i don't see why people are finding any problems with this. odds aren't reality. it's like Germany in the 1930s, there were a minority of Jews that had a much higer percentage of better jobs then was likely. There isn't an even spread with this. It's likely that there are certain areas where many peole have the gene and other areas where no-one has it. I wouldn't be surprised if America is full of descendants of a few people who had the gene, and the gene has been passed down through a number of lines.

spook
        spook

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
          Only 325,000 people on Earth operating the tech is hardly any. And it's just a coincidence that O'Neill and Shepherd can both do it
          Actually, my theory on O'Neill being able to use the Ancient technology is a direct result of having his mind downloaded with the Ancient's repository. If it can rewrite and activate neurological pathways in the brain that are usually dormant, then its possible to leave a marker or gene in this case, that would allow him to use it. Oh, and its not just Shepperd, apparently Dr Beckett, the field medic, can also use it.

and I was running some basic math figures, and out of the 300-some thousand people, there is about a 1% chance. (1.000533 to be more precise). and so for technically 2 out of 6 billion, the chances are less than .000000000003% (what are the odds of THAT )
          Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

Actually, I'd find that even worse than just a general coincidence of people just happening to have the gene and working at Stargate Command. Coincidences I can learn to live with, but implied arrogance at that level... the sheer audacity of suggesting that Americans are somehow once again slightly "better" than everyone else... no thanks. Now, if there were a concentration of gene-bearers in some random little third world-type country, that might be kinda funny, but I think America is pompous enough without crediting them with a prevalence of Ancient genes.

No offense intended. I'm American, myself. I just hate to see the US being promoted above all other countries (and planets, for that matter). We aren't better or worse than anyone else. But that stuff is probably best left to a political thread.

I'll stick happily with the generic coincidence of gene-bearers in Stargate Command.

Comment

I think you ahve a good theory. If the Ancient knowledge is downloaded into you, then you automatically know how to use the stuff, permantly
              __

__

Comment

I thought that the reason Jack could download the archive in the first place was because he possessed the gene. That's why Teal'c or Daniel (I've forgotten which) could peer into the archive thingy in Fifth Race without anything happening, but it snagged Jack when he went for a look. I'd be curious how the tech knows which people possess the gene. Is it biomech or something?

Comment

Originally posted by sshspooky
                  it's like Germany in the 1930s, there were a minority of Jews that had a much higer percentage of better jobs then was likely.
                  Ethnicity actually is not highly derived from genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord You
                    Ethnicity actually is not highly derived from genetics.
                    I'm showing my ignorance here, but I thought that Judaism was a religion, not a genetic code...

Comment

It was Teal'c who couldn't; the theory was that it detected his Goa'uld symbiote and so didn't activate. Daniel tried to use the second archive, but Jack wouldn't let him.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Jewish employment statistics in the 1930s though.

Comment

Judaism is a religion, but not all Jews follow it. Jew can be simply defined as one whose religion is Judaism. But thats not the only definition. A Jew can also mean a member of the tribe of Judah or any Iraelite. Also it can refer to those who claim decent from the tribe of Judah or the nation it founed in ancient Palestine, which does not necessarily mean they currently follow the religion. Although, I really don't have a clue what this has to do with this thread, but someone did mention it.
                        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

I don't think the Gou'ald can use the device. I think it detects the symbiote is within the body

Hmmm...I wonder if Anubis could have used it since he was half and half
                          __

__

Comment

it may not have sensed him at all since it probably required cells and other tissues in order to distinguish between energy and an organism. and Since Anubis was pure energy without any shape whatsoever, except perhaps the residual shape from his Goa'ulding days.
                            Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

I think it may be possible for Anubis to use the device, because in Lost City the Jeffa said "My lord. I believe the humans of the Tau'ri posess the device you saught"I'm guessing he wouldn't go after it unless he could use it, and none of his workers could anyway. But Anubis may not even be 'chosen'
                              __

__

Comment

It's always possible that Anubis had some other method of accessing the information, given his partial Ancient knowledge. Either that or he might have planned to use some poor captive as a decoder.

Comment

Working...
                                X