This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MCL
    Well if the SGC wants to upgrade it's iris, a few things should be identified first.

1. high tech races like Nox, Tollan tech level, are probably going to be able to walk right through anything we implement, so be resigned to the fact that an iris/sheild will not be 100 percent effective.
    Probably True. Those Tollan phase shift devices that let Tollans walk through walls is one possible way around the Iris.

Originally posted by mcl
    2. it's nice to be able to see/analyse what what your going to squish before you actually do so, so maybe we want a shield that extends about two meters infront of the gate in a tubular type room. That way you can look at them and then just dial the gate and let the wave take them, if you really don't like them. The shield tech that prometheus and deadelus use should be quite suitable.
    Unless a valid IDC is sent through the gate, the Iris won't open. So technically, there's really no need to see what's getting squished. On another note, it would be nearly impossible anyway. The Iris won't even let stuff re-integrate. So to see what's getting squished, you have to let it re-integrate, which would require putting another physical barrier farther down the ramp. Which may or may not work out too well given the layout of the Gate ramp and Gate Room.

Originally posted by mcl
    3. if you can see them and think it might be worth asking a few questions, just overload the shield in a manner that causes a charge to be transmitted to the occupants which acts like a heavy duty zat or tranqaliser. If you are afraid that the aliens in there might resist that then set the overload to emit a EMP like field blast into the shield area which should hopefuly fry all their exotic guns that might of been able to fire through the shield.
    Ya got me on this one.

Originally posted by mcl
    4. Maybe the earth gate should be re located to the moon so that if something really nasty comes through that we can't handle then there is a bit of a buffer before it starts walking around downtown somewhere in america. You set up an asgard transporter on earth that transports SG-1 personal to and from the base. The rest of the earth nations might be happier about a more international feel to the SGC if it was on the moon.
    May not be best idea. Simply because of the logistics of maintaining the base and containment systems on the moon. It's still possible for something to escape (though remote). If something does escape, what's to stop it from getting to earth? However, getting to earth will be a lot harder, so maybe this idea would actually work. There are obvious pros and cons to this idea, not all of which i know now, (but others might).

Comment

Originally posted by MCL

4. Maybe the earth gate should be re located to the moon so that if something really nasty comes through that we can't handle then there is a bit of a buffer before it starts walking around downtown somewhere in america. You set up an asgard transporter on earth that transports SG-1 personal to and from the base. The rest of the earth nations might be happier about a more international feel to the SGC if it was on the moon.

MCL
      Although we could probably get shields from some ally, wouldn't having it on the moon make it vulnerable to aerial attacks from enemies? Or would it be buried into the moon's surface?
      "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Originally posted by vonbismarck
        Although we could probably get shields from some ally, wouldn't having it on the moon make it vulnerable to aerial attacks from enemies? Or would it be buried into the moon's surface?
        We could dig/tunnel/beam a Stargate complex deep into the moon, but would probably rely mostly on protection from earth based Prometheus fleet, just like earth does. I don't know if the protected planets treaty would cover a base on the moon, but i don't think the treaty is that important anymore. It would make the SGC a heck of alot easier to quarrantine in emergencies that occur from through the gate. If the beaming technology is only on earth, then intruders need to bring their own propulsion system through the gate with them for the brief space trip to earth. This scenario would stop a Prior from getting onto our only well populated home planet, unless he/she arrived in their own ship.
        Time to talk to the Asgard and Nox about an Anti-Ori campaign!

Comment

So would we be getting rid of the SGC at Cheyenne mountain or would be building another facility on the moon? I don't think they would be able to afford that, what with the budget cut to 30%. I would also think there would be some logistic problems involved (although probably just teething pains that could be worked out over time).
          "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Originally posted by vonbismarck
            So would we be getting rid of the SGC at Cheyenne mountain or would be building another facility on the moon? I don't think they would be able to afford that, what with the budget cut to 30%. I would also think there would be some logistic problems involved (although probably just teething pains that could be worked out over time).
            I would say build an asgard beam facility into Cheyenne mountain, you could use it to beam stuff all over the world, allthough some contries might get a little ticked off if they found out America was beaming ore and precious materials right out of the ground under them.

I had forgotten about the budget cut issues, my wishful thinking kicks in when it comes to these types of upgrades.

Then again maybe if America tells eveyone that it has a low labour environmentally friendly way of removing select materials like steel, oil and gold from the ground, the budget cuts might go away.
            Time to talk to the Asgard and Nox about an Anti-Ori campaign!

Comment

if we were gonna upgrade to a iris/shield then we would have to get ride of those sweet gdo's

Comment

Originally posted by captain keys
                if we were gonna upgrade to a iris/shield then we would have to get ride of those sweet gdo's
                Not necessarily. They do make cool Key chains
                JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                LANDRY
                : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

In answer to the query about the lack of iris/shields in the Milky Way, it appears as if the heavy gate traffic all over the place within the Goa'uld domain makes such a system more of an inconvenience to the Goa'uld than a benefit.

The Tau'ri guerrilla threat only really hit high levels of concern for the Goa'uld a few years into the program. And by then, the System Lords would have been too nervous to set up an Earth-like system because they would have to trust the Jaffa or a minor Goa'uld to actually open the shield when they wanted to come through (which would also have been a concern prior to the years of the Stargate program).

That said, i'm sure some of their most important and/or restricted planets had shields that needed a remote deactivation. For example, the above-mentioned POW mining camp in Orpheus and Anubis' supersoldier facility in Evolution.

I'm not convinced that the Tollan trick would penetrate the Atlantis shield. My personal theory is that the Tollans incorporated their phase-shift knowledge into their ion cannons, so that the shots would actually exist in another phase (one where a target's shields did not exist) as they used to have no problem with enemy sheilding. But Anubis incorporated Ancient knowledge into his shields so not only were they more powerful, but they extended into other phases/frequencies. The Tollans couldn't penetrate such shielding (not with a single shot anyway). Thus, it would be reasonable to assume that the Atlantis shield, designed at the height of Ancient knowledge, would also extend into other phases/frequencies.

Comment

The gate iris is alien tech gained from the first encounter with the jaffa on abbydos

I believe it works by using matter compression but im not sure

Comment

Originally posted by HAL
                      The gate iris is alien tech gained from the first encounter with the jaffa on abbydos
                      No, it's not.

I believe it works by using matter compression but im not sure
                      Matter compression? You mean squeezing something?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

yes it is canon it is
                        Last edited by HAL; 01 September 2005, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HAL
                          yes it is cannon it is
                          I don't recall seeing an iris on Abydos at any point. Also, cannons are weapons. You mean canon.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

i said they got the tech not the iris itself

the jaffa head sets that came from no where to protect them

well came from the other part of the armor

remember?

Comment

Originally posted by HAL
                              i said they got the tech not the iris itself

the jaffa head sets that came from no where to protect them

well came from the other part of the armor

remember?
                              Don't see the connection, nor anything in canon that says there should be.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

when im not busy ill find you a link

or some other dude can explain it better

Comment

Working...
                                X