Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, the event horizon dematerializes matter as soon as it passes the event horizon, otherwise in the Episode of Stargate Atlantis "Thirty-Eight Minutes" they simply would have been able to walk into the front compartment of the puddle jumper and push the engines a bit to force them through the gate. Also you would be able to see something even after your eyes had passed the event horizon, Carter would have noticed it and said something like, "Well the event horizon must wait for the entire unit of matter and then dematerialize the matter in discrete units." But she didn't.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
      No, the event horizon dematerializes matter as soon as it passes the event horizon, otherwise in the Episode of Stargate Atlantis "Thirty-Eight Minutes" they simply would have been able to walk into the front compartment of the puddle jumper and push the engines a bit to force them through the gate. Also you would be able to see something even after your eyes had passed the event horizon, Carter would have noticed it and said something like, "Well the event horizon must wait for the entire unit of matter and then dematerialize the matter in discrete units." But she didn't.

Owen Macri
      aah yes very good point to clarify a little the Stargate does dematerializes matter as soon as it passes the event horizon, but doesn't transmit it until the whole object has been dematerializes.

Comment

Yes, thank you Col. Newman, I should have said that as well. Thank you. Expect some reputation coming your way.

Owen Macri

Comment

Just one little problem here... this might work fine for inanimate objects, but it would mean that a human entering the gate would start dematerilizing before they'd even gone through... which would be something akin to chainsawing someone in half from the head down. As soon as the brain was cut in two, the half of the body still left outside should fall down limp. Or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Gladius77
            Just one little problem here... this might work fine for inanimate objects, but it would mean that a human entering the gate would start dematerilizing before they'd even gone through... which would be something akin to chainsawing someone in half from the head down. As soon as the brain was cut in two, the half of the body still left outside should fall down limp. Or am I missing something?
            2 things:

First, your forgetting momentum. Things that are moving tend to keep moving. So the person would continue moving towards the gate, even though they're sort of unconscious.

Second, the body is still operating on the last instructions it was given which was step forward. The wormhole also tends to pull you in on its own if enough mass is already passed through.

Obviously, none of us here are Ancients... so that means we have to take a leap of faith on some things. I'm just going to assume the Ancients designed it, so as to not kill you. Heck, if a transporter can work... why not the gate?? Anywho... that's sci-fi for you. Sometimes, you just need faith.
            The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
            Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
            My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
            Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladius77
              Thats what I'm thinking. It's never really been explained in the show much. In Gemini, the Replicarter is half in the Event Horizon, and is still able to pull and struggle against Teal'c.
              JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
              VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
              MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
              LANDRY
              : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
              Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
              Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                Thats what I'm thinking. It's never really been explained in the show much. In Gemini, the Replicarter is half in the Event Horizon, and is still able to pull and struggle against Teal'c.
                Your forgetting that Replicarter was made up of many, many little nanites. Her cognitive functions weren't limited to her head. Her arm had a 'mind' of its own, so to speak.
                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

You have to remember that this is a TV show and the writers have a tendency to be inconsistent but there are artistic types (i would think since they are writers), and that’s just how they r.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                    Your forgetting that Replicarter was made up of many, many little nanites. Her cognitive functions weren't limited to her head. Her arm had a 'mind' of its own, so to speak.
                    that makes sense

Comment

I'll try and think of another example....

How about the second episode, The Enemy Within. Kawalsky does struggle after he is in the 'gate, right? Its been awhile since I've seen that episode.
                      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                      LANDRY
                      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                      Mmm... Green...

Comment

Obviously, none of us here are Ancients... so that means we have to take a leap of faith on some things. I'm just going to assume the Ancients designed it, so as to not kill you. Heck, if a transporter can work... why not the gate?? Anywho... that's sci-fi for you. Sometimes, you just need faith.
                        Yea, though I think with teleport a bit smaller leap of faith is required... I find it much easier to believe that something could be reintegrated as a whole, if it was also put apart as a whole. The stargate concept basically takes Trek's teleport, and multiplies it by 1000 (if you consider the human body being reintegrated slice by slice as it exits the gate, still being conscious and everything).

I probably think too much.

Comment

It has been proven that the gate pulls in matter, for example the season one episode "Fire and Water," when they are performing the memorial, they pushed a reef through the stargate then let it go, it was pulled through the event horizon.

As for the Kawalsky situation, that was only the second episode, but there is one possibilty, the gate already scans matter enetering the event horizon, perhaps it also duplicates the function of the part of the matter entering the gate until it has passed fully through the event horizon. For example, if a human were to stick his or her head in, the gate would recognize that a brain has entered the stargate and reproduce the functions of the brain traasmitting signals throughout the body telling it to keep walking.

Owen Macri

Comment

I'll try and think of another example....

How about the second episode, The Enemy Within. Kawalsky does struggle after he is in the 'gate, right? Its been awhile since I've seen that episode.
                            Mmm... That still isn't a great example. Remember that Kawalsky was possessed by a Goa'uld. The Goa'uld itself controls the body, and it isn't in the top part of the brain. It is wrapped around the brain stem, and sort of 'plugged' into the brain. Also, we know that a Goa'uld can allow parts of itself to be cut away, and continue to survive, eventually growing back what it lost. Sort of like a lizard growing back its tail. Owen could have a point, as well. I just don't know. Like I said, sometimes you just have to have faith.

Actually, I'm somewhat of the mind that the gate doesn't entirely demolecularize you until you've fully passed through the gate. Where does the body parts you don't see go? Well, the gate does work by using extra-dimensions. Perhaps you have to be fully inside the extra dimensions, before the gate will transmit you through the wormhole. Of course the whole thing happens in less than nano-seconds, so the traveller wouldn't really recall anything happening... just a sort of flash, and then *pop* there on the other side.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

It seems as though the Goa'uld controls the brain which controls the body, not as though the Goa'uld controls the body directly.

If the gate did dematerialize matter in dicrete units, then you could stick your face past the event horizon and see, something. What? I don't know.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                                As for the Kawalsky situation, that was only the second episode, but there is one possibilty, the gate already scans matter enetering the event horizon, perhaps it also duplicates the function of the part of the matter entering the gate until it has passed fully through the event horizon. For example, if a human were to stick his or her head in, the gate would recognize that a brain has entered the stargate and reproduce the functions of the brain traasmitting signals throughout the body telling it to keep walking.

Owen Macri
                                Brilliant, I’ve always assumed that the gate is EXTREMLY complex; i mean just comparing maybe the Tollans to our level of tech would be like comparing a chimp using a rock to mash nuts to our current level of tech, trying to compare the Ancients to us would be almost impossible

P.S. If you can’t sort out what I was trying to say then tell me and I’ll try to explain it better

Comment

Working...
                                X