This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freyrs
    So do the Asgard and the Nox. Obviously the Kawoosh isn't technically required for the wormhole to form and is probally some sort of safeguard the ancients added in to prevent to keep matter from going through the at the wrong time.
    bit of a nasty safegaurd tho...

Help!
    My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by Gladius77
      What exactly happens when you hear a "thud" of someone/something splashing against the iris? Where does the matter that hits the iris go? Considering the concept of gate tunnels only going one way, it can't go back. And it doesn't go through the iris either. So where DOES it go?
      That's easy to answer if it is still in the worm hole when the gate shuts down then it just cease to exist, at least in our dimension

Comment

It can't still be in the wormhole if it makes a thud on the iris, considering the iris is set outside the wormhole.

Comment

It can't still be in the wormhole if it makes a thud on the iris, considering the iris is set outside the wormhole.
          well like 99.99999999% of it is

Comment

Do you mean that it bounces back into the event horizon? That would make sense.
            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
            LANDRY
            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
              Do you mean that it bounces back into the event horizon? That would make sense.
              no, most of it can't come out of the event horizon because there is only 3 micro meters of space between the iris and the event Horizon

Comment

Yes, but the thud might come from the few molecular particals that form, and would bounce right back into the event horizon. Things still 'impact' the iris.
                http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/t...y/i/iris.shtml
                JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                LANDRY
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                  Yes, but the thud might come from the few molecular particals that form, and would bounce right back into the event horizon. Things still 'impact' the iris.
                  http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/t...y/i/iris.shtml
                  Yes i know things still impact the iris and you are right, i thought you meant the whole object comes out and bounces back, sorry my bad

Comment

Who's to say that they dont? The whole object probably rematerializes in molecular layers, that bounce back, until the entire object is gone.
                    LANDRY
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

You wouldn't hear a thud if only a minute amount of matter actually hit the iris. The only logic here might be that whatever forms before the iris would have to fill out in the micrometers of space between the iris and the event horizon, but this would mean that since there wouldn't be nearly enough space for the matter that went in to materialize on the other end, that the iris would have to burst to let it through. That's the only logical explanation that I can see. But this brings us back to the whole concept of the iris being impossible.

Comment

You don't know how the ancients design the star gate and what features they put in it maybe that the gate doesn’t kept reintegrating matter if there is an iris on it; also the Atlantis gate has a shield, and the iris would not burst it might expand a little but not burst

Comment

The iris isn't part of any design for the gate, so it'd be a far stretch to assume that SGC found an "undocumented feature" which would just happen to work (though logically it shouldn't). And unless the metal used to make the iris had the properties which would allow it to bend (just the opposite is indicated), the fixtures that hold it in place would logically give way before the iris itself expanded. The end result would be the same anyway; the iris wouldn't hold. The whole iris as it is presented is impossible anyway; it expands from literally nothing to cover the whole circle. But this is another issue altogether, heh.

Comment

The matter wouldn't fill up the space between the iris and the event horizon, it would just bounce off the iris. The matter is moving foreward; it wouldn't just stop. As for the iris coming out of nowhere, it has a space between the outer and inner ring, and is made of interlapping parts. But it is a TV show.

PS welcome to the forum, gladius77!
                            Last edited by 6thMonolith; 22 May 2005, 03:26 PM.
                            LANDRY
                            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Bounce off the iris and end up... where? That's the issue here.

And thanks for the welcome.

Comment

Bounce off the iris and end up... where? That's the issue here.

And thanks for the welcome.
                                It would go back through the event horizon and then cease to exists

Comment

Working...
                                X