This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sueKay
    I've had another thought about the lower ratings...

Didn't a lot of cable TV packages get changed a few months back...cos I remember someone on LJ saying they had to upgrade their TV package to keep Sci Fi.
    This has been discussed before and dismissed. The number of households that receive the SciFi Channel has not decreased. Even if it had, the ratings are calculated as the number of viewing households divided into the number of households that receive it. Thus, it wouldn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
      But would all the actors be okay with a pay cut? Maybe, maybe not.
      IMO, a slight pay cut would be better than possibly not working anymore. How many shows in the past have been on the air for years, and then when they're over, the actors, for the most part, seem to vanish altogether? Quite often in my experience.

But still, some think that next gig will always be there.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
        What night of the week was this movie on?

If it was the Saturday movie, it would makes sense that they advertise the programming that comes on soonest. Eureka and wrestling--Tuesday. Superhero--Thursday.
        Even with this being the case, Stargate promos are few and far between. Almost any day of the week.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          The episode was good in your opinion. That doesn't make it FACT, nor does everything that happens in the world have to make sense to YOU (or any other random individual in the world) in order to be true. There are a lot of senseless, terrible things that happen- people gunned down in the streets, children dying, diseases ravaging the populace... There are even random wonderful things that happen- falling in love, winning the lottery, meeting your long-lost twin... they may be utterly inexplicable, but they still happen.

You don't have to understand why SCIFI cancelled Stargate, but you should at least try to accept it. Not everything is a conspiracy. The ratings for the show are dropping again because not as many people are watching the show. It's that simple.

It's like Gray's Anatomy. They got HUGE ratings for their post-Super Bowl ep, but the ratings dropped after that back to more "normal" (for that point in the show/season) ratings. Same here. Ratings are dropping back to what's now normal.
          That has got to be one of the most moronic rants I have ever heard in my life. I seriously started to cry when I read this.

Let's start from the top.

The episode was good in your opinion. That doesn't make it FACT, nor does everything that happens in the world have to make sense to YOU (or any other random individual in the world) in order to be true.
          Assumptions, blah blah blah.

There are a lot of senseless, terrible things that happen- people gunned down in the streets, children dying, diseases ravaging the populace... There are even random wonderful things that happen- falling in love, winning the lottery, meeting your long-lost twin... they may be utterly inexplicable, but they still happen.
          Besides being completely irrelevent, this statement made me lose faith in humanity for about the 17,684th time since I started using Internet forums.

So what you're saying is that if I get laid off, it's not a bad thing because, hey, it's not as bad as the Holocaust? Or if I find another job, I shouldn't be happy because I didn't achieve world peace? What a load of crap. There's something called RELATIVITY, which all Stargate fans should be familiar with by now. The way to judge the significance of an event is by comparing them to other events in YOUR life, not the world of "what if?"

You don't have to understand why SCIFI cancelled Stargate, but you should at least try to accept it. Not everything is a conspiracy.
          Ironic that you're accusing everyone of being a conspiracy theorist, when it's all just in your head. Nobody is saying there's a conspiracy (at least not on this forum), all people are saying is that there's more going on than we are being told, which is true no matter how you look at it.

The ratings for the show are dropping again because not as many people are watching the show. It's that simple.
          Again with the assumptions. For the first time I do not watch the shows live, but I do not have a choice, because I have commitments every Friday night until November, but I still set my VCR and watch the show late that night or the next day. There are many people with the same problem who either record the episodes or download them off of iTunes. Just because not as many people watch the show live doesn't mean they don't watch it at all.

In conclusion: please think before you type.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
            IMO, a slight pay cut would be better than possibly not working anymore. How many shows in the past have been on the air for years, and then when they're over, the actors, for the most part, seem to vanish altogether? Quite often in my experience.

But still, some think that next gig will always be there.
            If my boss came to me and wanted me to do the same job for less money next year I would go look for another job! I don't expect actors to work for less money than they deserve/have worked hard for, either. Why does anyone think they are going to disappear just because SG-1 no longer exists? They are working actors. They do have other things on their resumés besides SG-1 and I do expect that they will have more later on.

As to the topic of the thread, I think the ratings went up for 200 due to 2 reasons:
            1) Unusual satire format, and 2) Jack

That's why I tuned in and watched 200 instead of watching Monk two Fridays ago. And the lack of both, or the show going back to its usual format, is why I went back to taping SG-1 and watching Monk live last Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Volvagiarice
              Ironic that you're accusing everyone of being a conspiracy theorist, when it's all just in your head. Nobody is saying there's a conspiracy (at least not on this forum)
              Um...have you actually read through the forum? Because I've seen people here state that:

-SciFi is messing with the ratings to make Stargate look bad.
              -SciFi didn't advertise SG1 this season, resulting in lower ratings, make it easier to cancel the show.
              -SciFi is only interested in NBC-owned shows now, so they are working against non-NBC owned shows like the Stargates.
              -SciFi only wanted to have the longest-running scifi show award, hence the reason why they didn't give the green for Stargate Command and why they were so quick to cancel this season.
              -SciFi is pissed that Stargate is now available on iTunes, and they cancelled SG1 for "revenge".

Those all look like conspiracy theories to me. (Until I get proof that any of these theories are correct, then yes, they are only theories.) So I don't really know where you're coming up with such statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                If my boss came to me and wanted me to do the same job for less money next year I would go look for another job! I don't expect actors to work for less money than they deserve/have worked hard for, either. Why does anyone think they are going to disappear just because SG-1 no longer exists? They are working actors. They do have other things on their resumés besides SG-1 and I do expect that they will have more later on.
                I'm not saying they will disappear. All I'm saying is that it does happen all the time. There are countless shows I've watched over the years, and once they were done, I didn't see some of the actors for years. A successful, long-term show gig is hard to land sometimes. That's all I was getting at.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                  Recently I watched a two hour movie (non-Stargate related) on Sci-Fi and guess what I saw in those two hours:

About 5 commercials for the new Eureka episode
                  5-6 promos for Wrestling programs
                  6, thats right, SIX promos for "Who Wants to be a Superhero"

And how many promos for Stargate you say?: ZERO as far as I saw

Really ticks me off the way Sci-Fi's treating the franchise these days.
                  i only watch the scifi channel when a new sg1 ep airs, so someone will have to answer this question for me. in season 9, was there advertising for sg1?

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                    Um...have you actually read through the forum? Because I've seen people here state that:

-SciFi only wanted to have the longest-running scifi show award, hence the reason why they didn't give the green for Stargate Command and why they were so quick to cancel this season.

Those all look like conspiracy theories to me.
                    A theory, yes. But its a pretty sound one to me.
                    sigpic
                    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Fan10023
                      Erm who is boris and natasha, BB and CB?
                      boris and natasha are characters from the cartoon Rocky & Bullwinkle. and i was referring to mitchell and vala, not the actors.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
                        They just wanted to be known as the channel that aired the longest running consecutive cable drama in the US. They just wanted the record, that's all. That's why they didn't cancel it in Season nine.

this is the reason they will do all they can to enforce that little clause in the contract about no new eps on another network. They will loose there precious record and all the kudos that came with it.
                        Last edited by tryxy; 28 August 2006, 08:57 PM.

Comment

It seems to me that with a 1.5 for the first showing and a 1.0 for the second it means a lot of people are still watching. They might consider a 1.5 too low, but a 1.0 for the second showing of the episode on the same night seems really good to me.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

Anyone else find it odd that Sci-fi hasn't posted on their website, any news regarding the cancellation? The latest news was a summary on the last episode aired.

Comment

Originally posted by Voir Dire
                              Anyone else find it odd that Sci-fi hasn't posted on their website, any news regarding the cancellation? The latest news was a summary on the last episode aired.
                              Yeah I noticed that too. It's one of a few things that *isn't* happening that suggests "it ain't over just yet," if one takes the time to look at least.
                              Frak! --Apollo
                              Frak you. --Cain
                              FRAK Me! --Kat
                              frakwit! --Tyrol
                              B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

Originally posted by Voir Dire
                                http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=2&id=37607

Comment

Working...
                                X