This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
    Sorry your basic argument is (forgive me if I am wrong).

As long as SG-1 has no competition it might rate well... how does that help? It will for the most part have competition and any show that can't hold it's own against that competition... well it shouldn't really survive.

I still think some are missing the point... SGA is a go not because is has massive ratings in comparison to SG-1, it is a go because as far as SciFi is concerned for the amount of money it takes to make it, it pays off enough to continue it....

SG-1 has made it's self too expensive for one or more reason's and there seems to be little pay off for SciFi... the only pay off seemed to be the 200th episode, as soon as that was over...remember the decision to axe it was made before the 200th even screened, SciFi is not stupid it is a business.
    SciFi doesnt make it, for one. So it shouldnt cost SciFi anything to make it. THey got enough money for shows like Eureka, why not SG-1?

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel
      SciFi doesnt make it, for one. So it shouldnt cost SciFi anything to make it. THey got enough money for shows like Eureka, why not SG-1?
      They do have to pay MGM for it though and MGM is going to pass their costs along.

Comment

They SHOULD, but if they dip, then what? Itll prove that it has nothing to do with competition.
        Well until then you can't just go about claiming it's because of ''declining quality... orignal characters sidelined... boring enemy... cambo... sex whore vala... no jack... plot holes... bad writing'' and so on. What people don't realise is that most people who make up the ratings are casual viewers, and casual viewers are not as picky about what they want in a show. I'm a casual viewer of a lot of shows (X Files when it was on, Scrubs, 24, Lost...) and I occasionally go online and see people saying how the shows have really gone downhill. And my first thought it ''have they? I hadn't noticed''.

Yes, if the ratings remain down for the next 3 episodes, there is a real problem somewhere. But the ratings for 200 and Monk suggest that the competition is a major factor.

Comment

there are a few reasons for the rating slip. One was the lack of advertising for SG-1. The only real advertising I saw for SG-1 this year was for 200. The timing of the cancelletion PO a number of veiwers. The ratings also don't account for second showing which was a solid 1.0 and people on satallite (increasing in number everyday)

There has also been a number of loyal fans that left the series whn RDA left. I blame that on sci-fi because they failed to advertise the new General. Bridges should have been a main draw for SG-1. Black and Bowder should have brought fans in too.

Those mistakes made in season 9 are still being felt now. If the show was retooled and advertised properly, it would have done far better. The story is solid; yet they took to long to bring in Adria, first ori episode I liked was with her. Of course we have only seen six episodes now and the show is IMHO a brand new show that should be advertised as such.

People remember the green Gecko for what's it name because it's always there. SG-1 and SGA should have far more advertising.

Instead there has been a ton of commercials for Eureka, I watched it once. It's okay, but not as good as SGA and the new SG-1.

Of course if they had placed Eurika on TV say--five years ago--oppisite SG-1. SG-1 would have blown Eurika out of the water.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Yes, the majority of the casual viewers don't watch Stargate, but it would seem that those that do, or did, have found other interests. But I will agree that Monk currently beats stargate in viewership. My question is, how does Eureka beat out Stargate? In your opinions, which has more quality? Eureka, SGA,SG1, or BSG?
            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie
              there are a few reasons for the rating slip. One was the lack of advertising for SG-1. The only real advertising I saw for SG-1 this year was for 200. The timing of the cancelletion PO a number of veiwers. The ratings also don't account for second showing which was a solid 1.0 and people on satallite (increasing in number everyday)

There has also been a number of loyal fans that left the series whn RDA left. I blame that on sci-fi because they failed to advertise the new General. Bridges should have been a main draw for SG-1. Black and Bowder should have brought fans in too.

Those mistakes made in season 9 are still being felt now. If the show was retooled and advertised properly, it would have done far better. The story is solid; yet they took to long to bring in Adria, first ori episode I liked was with her. Of course we have only seen six episodes now and the show is IMHO a brand new show that should be advertised as such.

People remember the green Gecko for what's it name because it's always there. SG-1 and SGA should have far more advertising.

Instead there has been a ton of commercials for Eureka, I watched it once. It's okay, but not as good as SGA and the new SG-1.

Of course if they had placed Eurika on TV say--five years ago--oppisite SG-1. SG-1 would have blown Eurika out of the water.
              Again, I agree. Advertising is THE problem.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                Well until then you can't just go about claiming it's because of ''declining quality... orignal characters sidelined... boring enemy... cambo... sex whore vala... no jack... plot holes... bad writing'' and so on. What people don't realise is that most people who make up the ratings are casual viewers, and casual viewers are not as picky about what they want in a show. I'm a casual viewer of a lot of shows (X Files when it was on, Scrubs, 24, Lost...) and I occasionally go online and see people saying how the shows have really gone downhill. And my first thought it ''have they? I hadn't noticed''.

Yes, if the ratings remain down for the next 3 episodes, there is a real problem somewhere. But the ratings for 200 and Monk suggest that the competition is a major factor.
                I honestly believe it has nothing to do with quality, characters, storyline, etc. I say Advertising.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie

And the only reason it isn't labeled as one, and that it is judged by the former SG-1's standards, is that Scifi wanted it to stay the same show.

Spoiler:

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                  5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
                    And the only reason it isn't labeled as one, and that it is judged by the former SG-1's standards, is that Scifi wanted it to stay the same show.
                    Hmmm, I wonder why? Maybe it was because they just wanted to wait until SG-1 got to 200 episodes to cancel the show, so they didnt want it to be a different cuz then there wouldnt have been a 10th season and a 200th episode.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

They just wanted to be known as the channel that aired the longest running consecutive cable drama in the US. They just wanted the record, that's all. That's why they didn't cancel it in Season nine.

Spoiler:

Comment

You know what I just saw, on the Save SG-1 petition, someone put Cancel the show. It's a save SG-1 petition! Not a cancel it! one.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Recently I watched a two hour movie (non-Stargate related) on Sci-Fi and guess what I saw in those two hours:

About 5 commercials for the new Eureka episode
                          5-6 promos for Wrestling programs
                          6, thats right, SIX promos for "Who Wants to be a Superhero"

And how many promos for Stargate you say?: ZERO as far as I saw

Really ticks me off the way Sci-Fi's treating the franchise these days.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                            Recently I watched a two hour movie (non-Stargate related) on Sci-Fi and guess what I saw in those two hours:

About 5 commercials for the new Eureka episode
                            5-6 promos for Wrestling programs
                            6, thats right, SIX promos for "Who Wants to be a Superhero"

And how many promos for Stargate you say?: ZERO as far as I saw

Really ticks me off the way Sci-Fi's treating the franchise these days.
                            Exactly why the ratings are down. I dont really understand why advertisements should affect the ratings but it obviously does. The ratings of Eureka compared with the advertisements (same with Stargate, ECW, Who Wants to Be a Super Hero) really add up.

I say 90% is SciFi's Fault. Based on the ratings and ads alone!

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Exactly why the ratings are down. I dont really understand why advertisements should affect the ratings but it obviously does. The ratings of Eureka compared with the advertisements (same with Stargate, ECW, Who Wants to Be a Super Hero) really add up.

I say 90% is SciFi's Fault. Based on the ratings and ads alone!
                              I disagree with just about everything you've said on this subject. Stations tend NOT to advertise the heck out of their old programs — they do advertise the heck out of new programs. You can advertise a show up the kazoo, but if a viewer doesn't like the show, he/she is not going to continue to watch it. The writing certainly is an important part; clearly not everyone thinks like you do in terms of the quality of the show.

Comment

Some if not most of the so called "casual" fans are like sheep. They sit in front of TV and let the advertisers decide for them what to watch. Oh look an advertising for a show called BLABLA ok I will watch that. If they don't see an advertisement they don't even remember the show exists.

Yeah it is just TV you say? Guess what, the same is done in politics also with the "political campaign" ads and the publicity which defines who people will most likely vote for, the so called electability. They just sit like IDIOTS in front of the TV and take whatever is given hook line and sinker. Can't bother them to put some effort to find quality or truth etc.

Back to SG-1, it could have maintained it's 2.0 ratings this season easily, a bit more advertising to get to the sheeple casual viewers also make sure not to pit it against heavy hitter shows like Monk and Psych (who watches those anyways?) Maybe they are witty and all but meh DVR/Tivo them, as if they need more ratings than they already have.

But no, Sci-Fi put Eureka at a time where it could get better ratings since nothing is going against it for that timeslot to build up ratings for it so they can stick it to SG-1 / SGA since they are not original programming and are not in-house.

The ratings drop due to hardcore RDA fans and antis was not that significant to warrant a 2.0 to 1.4 drop. If you argue that these folks actually caused the huge drop then blame them all you want for the demise of the show. I personally don't know if they caused that drop, for all I know they could just be posting complains about the direction of the show here but still watch it and contribute to the ratings. Who knows, but if you ask me, blame lies with Sci-Fi, if they cared about the Stargate universe they would not forced a rushed ending and no posibility for a 3rd spinoff. They simply wanted to kill it to make space for original programming like all NBC owned stations.

Finally, we will see how the ratings do for the rest of the episodes where we have no Monk airing opposite SG-1. If they bounce back to the 1.9-2.0 then oh well.

Oh a disclaimer, what constitues a casual viewer from my view is one who has no active interest in it, in other words, by being here on this forum lurking or posting means you are not a casual viewer. So don't get offended, if you can read this you are not a casual viewer
                                Last edited by SG1Fan10023; 28 August 2006, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X